A certain father had two sons, the elder of who was smart and sensible, and could do everything, but the younger was stupid and could neither learn nor understand anything, and when people saw him they said: —
某个父亲有两个儿子,其中长子聪明而明智,能做任何事,而幼子愚蠢,无法学习或理解任何东西,当人们看到他时,他们说:“这家伙将给他的父亲惹些麻烦!” —

‘There’s a fellow who will give his father some trouble! —
当有事情需要做时, —

’ When anything had to be done, it was always the elder who was forced to do it; —
总是强迫长子去做; —

but if his father bade him fetch anything when it was late, or in the night-time, and the way led through the churchyard, or any other dismal place, he answered: —
但如果他父亲吩咐他在晚上或夜间去找东西,而且路经过教堂或其他令人沮丧的地方,他会回答: —

‘Oh, no father, I’ll not go there, it makes me shudder! —
‘哦,父亲,我不会去那里,它让我感到害怕! —

’ for he was afraid. —
’因为他很害怕。 —

Or when stories were told by the fire at night which made the flesh creep, the listeners sometimes said: ‘Oh, it makes us shudder! —
或者当夜晚在火边讲故事时,使人浑身发毛,听众们有时会说:‘哦,它让我们感到害怕!’ —

’ The younger sat in a corner and listened with the rest of them, and could not imagine what they could mean. ‘They are always saying: —
年幼的儿子坐在一个角落里,和其他人一起聆听,完全无法想象他们是什么意思。他们总是在说:‘它让我感到害怕,它让我感到害怕!’他心想,‘那一定是我完全不懂的一种艺术!’ —

“It makes me shudder, it makes me shudder! —
‘现在,有一天他的父亲对他说:‘听我说,你那个坐在角落里的家伙,你个子长大了,变得强壮了, —

” It does not make me shudder,’ thought he. —
你也必须学点东西来谋生。看看你哥哥是如何工作的,而你甚至连自己的盐都挣不到。’ —

‘That, too, must be an art of which I understand nothing!’
‘好吧,父亲,’他回答道,‘我很愿意学点东西 - 实际上,如果可以的话,我想学会怎样害怕。’

Now it came to pass that his father said to him one day: —
‘现在,命运降临到他身上,他的父亲有一天对他说: —

‘Hearken to me, you fellow in the corner there, you are growing tall and strong, and you too must learn something by which you can earn your bread. —
‘听我说,你那个角落的伙计,你个子长高了,变得强壮了,你也必须学点东西来谋生。看看你哥哥是如何工作的,而你甚至连自己的盐都吃不起。’ —

Look how your brother works, but you do not even earn your salt. —
‘好吧,父亲,’他回答道,‘我很愿意学些东西 - 实际上,如果可能的话,我想学会害怕。’ —

’ ‘Well, father,’ he replied, ‘I am quite willing to learn something–indeed, if it could but be managed, I should like to learn how to shudder. —
’ ‘嗯,父亲,’他回答道,‘我很愿意学些东西 - 实际上,如果可能的话,我想学会害怕。’ —

I don’t understand that at all yet. —
“我完全不明白。 —

’ The elder brother smiled when he heard that, and thought to himself: —
”哥哥听到后笑了笑,心里想着: —

‘Goodness, what a blockhead that brother of mine is! —
“天哪,我那个弟弟真是个木头啊! —

He will never be good for anything as long as he lives! —
他这辈子都不会有用的!” —

He who wants to be a sickle must bend himself betimes.’
“想当镰刀,得及早弯腰。”

The father sighed, and answered him: —
父亲叹了口气,回答道: —

‘You shall soon learn what it is to shudder, but you will not earn your bread by that.’
“你很快就会知道什么是害怕,但是你不会靠害怕来谋生。”

Soon after this the sexton came to the house on a visit, and the father bewailed his trouble, and told him how his younger son was so backward in every respect that he knew nothing and learnt nothing. —
不久之后,教堂坐堂人来到家里做客,父亲对他诉说了自己的烦恼,告诉他年幼的儿子在各方面都很落后,什么也不懂也不学习。 —

‘Just think,’ said he, ‘when I asked him how he was going to earn his bread, he actually wanted to learn to shudder. —
“想想看,”他说,“我问他怎么谋生,竟然想学害怕。” —

’ ‘If that be all,’ replied the sexton, ‘he can learn that with me. —
“如果只是这样,”教堂坐堂人回答道,“他可以跟我学。 —

Send him to me, and I will soon polish him. —
送他来,我会很快磨炼他。” —

’ The father was glad to do it, for he thought: —
父亲很乐意这样做, —

‘It will train the boy a little. —
因为他想“这会训练一下这个孩子。” —

’ The sexton therefore took him into his house, and he had to ring the church bell. —
教堂看门人便把他带进了自己的屋子,并命令他拉响教堂的钟声。 —

After a day or two, the sexton awoke him at midnight, and bade him arise and go up into the church tower and ring the bell. —
过了一两天,半夜时分,教堂看门人叫醒他,让他起床去教堂塔楼里拉响钟声。 —

‘You shall soon learn what shuddering is, ’ thought he, and secretly went there before him; —
“你很快会知道什么是恐惧的,”他想着,暗自在他之前就跑到了那儿; —

and when the boy was at the top of the tower and turned round, and was just going to take hold of the bell rope, he saw a white figure standing on the stairs opposite the sounding hole. —
当男孩站在塔顶,转过身去,正准备去拉响打铃绳索时,他看见一个白色的身影站在楼梯上,正对着发声孔。 —

‘Who is there?’ cried he, but the figure made no reply, and did not move or stir. —
“那是谁?”他喊道,但那个身影没有回答,也没有动或者移动。 —

‘Give an answer,’ cried the boy, ‘or take yourself off, you have no business here at night.’
“回答一下!”男孩喊道,“或者离开,你晚上不该在这里。”

The sexton, however, remained standing motionless that the boy might think he was a ghost. —
然而,教堂看门人静静地站在那里,让男孩认为他是个鬼魂。 —

The boy cried a second time: —
男孩第二次大喊: —

‘What do you want here? —
“你在这里想干什么? —

–speak if you are an honest fellow, or I will throw you down the steps! —
――如果你是个正派人,就说话,否则我会把你推下楼梯! —

’ The sexton thought: —
”教堂看门人心想: —

‘He can’t mean to be as bad as his words, ’ uttered no sound and stood as if he were made of stone. —
『他不可能真的像他说的那样坏』没有发出声音,站在那里像是一尊石头。 —

Then the boy called to him for the third time, and as that was also to no purpose, he ran against him and pushed the ghost down the stairs, so that it fell down the ten steps and remained lying there in a corner. —
于是这个男孩第三次呼唤他,但这也没有用,他冲上去撞向幽灵,把它推下了楼梯,结果它摔下十级台阶,躺在一个角落里。 —

Thereupon he rang the bell, went home, and without saying a word went to bed, and fell asleep. —
然后他按响了门铃,回家了,一言不发地上床睡着了。 —

The sexton’s wife waited a long time for her husband, but he did not come back. —
教堂管理员的妻子等了很久,但她的丈夫没有回来。 —

At length she became uneasy, and wakened the boy, and asked: —
最后她变得担心起来,把男孩叫醒,问道: —

‘Do you know where my husband is? —
‘你知道我丈夫在哪里吗? —

He climbed up the tower before you did. —
他在你之前爬上了塔。 —

’ ‘No, I don’t know,’ replied the boy, ‘but someone was standing by the sounding hole on the other side of the steps, and as he would neither give an answer nor go away, I took him for a scoundrel, and threw him downstairs. —
’ ‘不知道,’男孩回答道,‘但是有个人站在楼梯对面的声音洞旁边,既不回答也不走开,我把他当作无赖推下了楼梯。 —

Just go there and you will see if it was he. —
你去那里看看,你就会知道是不是他了。 —

I should be sorry if it were. —
如果是他的话我会很抱歉。 —

’ The woman ran away and found her husband, who was lying moaning in the corner, and had broken his leg.
女人跑开了,找到了她躺在角落里呻吟的丈夫,他的腿骨折了。

She carried him down, and then with loud screams she hastened to the boy’s father, ‘Your boy,’ cried she, ‘has been the cause of a great misfortune! —
她把丈夫扶下楼,然后大声尖叫着赶去找男孩的父亲,“你的孩子,”她喊道,“造成了一场大灾难! —

He has thrown my husband down the steps so that he broke his leg. —
他把我丈夫推下楼梯,导致他骨折。 —

Take the good-for-nothing fellow out of our house. —
把这个没用的家伙赶出我们的房子。 —

’ The father was terrified, and ran thither and scolded the boy. —
父亲吓坏了,跑过去责骂那个男孩。 —

‘What wicked tricks are these? —
“这是什么邪恶的把戏? —

’ said he. —
”他说。 —

‘The devil must have put them into your head. —
“一定是魔鬼把这些放进了你的脑子里。 —

’ ‘Father,’ he replied, ‘do listen to me. I am quite innocent. —
” “爸爸,”他回答说,“请听我说。我是完全无辜的。 —

He was standing there by night like one intent on doing evil. —
他晚上站在那里,像个意欲作恶的人一样。 —

I did not know who it was, and I entreated him three times either to speak or to go away. —
我不知道他是谁,恳求了三次,要么说话要么离开。 —

’ ‘Ah,’ said the father, ‘I have nothing but unhappiness with you. —
“啊,”父亲说,“我与你只有不幸。 —

Go out of my sight. I will see you no more.’
离开我的视线。我再也不想见到你了。”

‘Yes, father, right willingly, wait only until it is day. —
“是的,父亲,我非常愿意,只要等到天亮就好。 —

Then will I go forth and learn how to shudder, and then I shall, at any rate, understand one art which will support me. —
然后我就可以出去学习怎样惊恐,这样至少我会掌握一门可以养活自己的技能。” —

’ ‘Learn what you will,’ spoke the father, ‘it is all the same to me. —
“随便你学什么,对我来说都一样。 —

Here are fifty talers for you. —
这里有五十塔勒给你。” —

Take these and go into the wide world, and tell no one from whence you come, and who is your father, for I have reason to be ashamed of you. —
“拿着这些钱去闯荡世界吧,不要告诉任何人你来自哪里,你的父亲是谁,因为我对你感到羞愧。” —

’ ‘Yes, father, it shall be as you will. —
“是的,父亲,按照你的意愿去做。 —

If you desire nothing more than that, I can easily keep it in mind.’
如果你没有其他要求,我很容易记住。”

When the day dawned, therefore, the boy put his fifty talers into his pocket, and went forth on the great highway, and continually said to himself: —
因此,天亮时,男孩将五十塔勒装进口袋,走上宽阔的大道,不断地对自己说着:“要是我能惊恐!要是我能惊恐!”这时有个人走过来,听到了男孩与自己对话的声音,当他们走到稍远一点可以看到绞刑架的地方时,这个人对他说: —

‘If I could but shudder! If I could but shudder! —

’ Then a man approached who heard this conversation which the youth was holding with himself, and when they had walked a little farther to where they could see the gallows, the man said to him: —
“要是我能帮你惊恐那就好了!要是我能帮你惊恐那就好了!” —

‘Look, there is the tree where seven men have married the ropemaker’s daughter, and are now learning how to fly. —
‘看,那棵树下有七个男人娶了绳索制造商的女儿,现在正在学习如何飞翔。 —

Sit down beneath it, and wait till night comes, and you will soon learn how to shudder. —
坐在它下面等待夜晚来临,你很快就会学会如何发抖。 —

’ ‘If that is all that is wanted, ’ answered the youth, ‘it is easily done; —
‘如果只是这样,’年轻人回答道,‘那很容易实现; —

but if I learn how to shudder as fast as that, you shall have my fifty talers. —
但是如果我能如此快地学会发抖,那你就拿走我的五十泰勒。 —

Just come back to me early in the morning. —
早晨早点回来找我吧。 —

’ Then the youth went to the gallows, sat down beneath it, and waited till evening came. —
然后年轻人去了绞刑架,坐在下面等待夜晚来临。 —

And as he was cold, he lighted himself a fire, but at midnight the wind blew so sharply that in spite of his fire, he could not get warm. —
因为他很冷,他生起了一堆火,但是在午夜时分风刮得很厉害,尽管有火,他仍然感到冷。 —

And as the wind knocked the hanged men against each other, and they moved backwards and forwards, he thought to himself: —
当风刮动被吊死的人们相互敲击并来回摇摆时,他心想: —

‘If you shiver below by the fire, how those up above must freeze and suffer! —
‘如果你在炉火旁发冷,那上面的人们一定会冻得更厉害和受苦! —

’ And as he felt pity for them, he raised the ladder, and climbed up, unbound one of them after the other, and brought down all seven. —
他们感到可怜,于是他抬起梯子,一个接一个地解开了他们,并把所有七个人放下来。 —

Then he stoked the fire, blew it, and set them all round it to warm themselves. —
然后他生了火,吹了起来,让他们围在火旁取暖。 —

But they sat there and did not stir, and the fire caught their clothes. So he said: —
但他们坐在那里一动不动,火烧着了他们的衣服。于是他说:“小心, —

‘Take care, or I will hang you up again. —
不然我会再把你们吊起来。” —

’ The dead men, however, did not hear, but were quite silent, and let their rags go on burning. —
但是这些死人听不见,一声不吭,让他们的破布继续燃烧。 —

At this he grew angry, and said: —
他生气了,说道: —

‘If you will not take care, I cannot help you, I will not be burnt with you, ’ and he hung them up again each in his turn. —
“如果你们不小心的话,我可帮不了你们了,我可不想和你们一起被烧死。”于是他又一个一个地把他们挂了起来。 —

Then he sat down by his fire and fell asleep, and the next morning the man came to him and wanted to have the fifty talers, and said: —
然后他坐在火边睡着了,第二天早上一个人来找他并想要那五十块金币,并说道: —

‘Well do you know how to shudder?’ ‘No, ’ answered he, ‘how should I know? —
“你知道怎么害怕吗?” “不知道,” 他回答说,“我怎么会知道? —

Those fellows up there did not open their mouths, and were so stupid that they let the few old rags which they had on their bodies get burnt. —
那些人们都不开口,太蠢了,竟然让身上仅剩的破布烧起来了。” —

’ Then the man saw that he would not get the fifty talers that day, and went away saying: —
然后,那个人看到他今天不会得到五十个泰勒,于是走开说道: —

‘Such a youth has never come my way before.’
“以前从未见过这样的年轻人。”

The youth likewise went his way, and once more began to mutter to himself: ‘Ah, if I could but shudder! Ah, if I could but shudder! —
这位年轻人继续走着,又开始自言自语:“啊,如果我能害怕呀!啊,如果我能害怕呀!” —

’ A waggoner who was striding behind him heard this and asked: —
后面跟着的一个车夫听到了这句话,问道: —

‘Who are you?’ ‘I don’t know, ’ answered the youth. —
“你是谁?” “我不知道。” 年轻人回答道。 —

Then the waggoner asked: —
然后车夫问: —

‘From whence do you come?’ ‘I know not. —
“你来自哪里?” “我不知道。 —

’ ‘Who is your father? —
” “你父亲是谁? —

’ ‘That I may not tell you. —
” “我不能告诉你。” —

’ ‘What is it that you are always muttering between your teeth? —
“你一直在嘴里喃喃自语什么?” —

’ ‘Ah,’ replied the youth, ‘I do so wish I could shudder, but no one can teach me how. —
“啊,”年轻人回答道,“我好希望我能害怕起来,但没人能教我。” —

’ ‘Enough of your foolish chatter, ’ said the waggoner. ‘Come, go with me, I will see about a place for you. —
‘你这个愚蠢的唠叨够了,’ 车夫说道,’来吧,跟着我,我会给你找个地方。’ —

’ The youth went with the waggoner, and in the evening they arrived at an inn where they wished to pass the night. —
青年跟着车夫,到了晚上他们到达了一个打算过夜的客栈。 —

Then at the entrance of the parlour the youth again said quite loudly: —
到了厅堂的入口,青年又大声说道:’ —

‘If I could but shudder! —
要是我能吓一吓就好了! —

If I could but shudder! —
要是我能吓一吓就好了!’ —

’ The host who heard this, laughed and said: —
听到这话的店主笑着说:’ —

‘If that is your desire, there ought to be a good opportunity for you here. —
如果你想要这个,这里一定有个好机会给你。 —

’ ‘Ah, be silent,’ said the hostess, ‘so many prying persons have already lost their lives, it would be a pity and a shame if such beautiful eyes as these should never see the daylight again.’
‘啊,闭嘴吧,’ 女店主说,’ 已经有这么多好事的人丧命了,这样美丽的眼睛如果再也见不到阳光就太可惜了。

But the youth said: ‘However difficult it may be, I will learn it. —
但是青年说:’无论多困难,我都要学会。 —

For this purpose indeed have I journeyed forth. —
为了这个目的,我才踏上了旅途。 —

’ He let the host have no rest, until the latter told him, that not far from thence stood a haunted castle where anyone could very easily learn what shuddering was, if he would but watch in it for three nights. —
他不让主人休息,直到后者告诉他,在不远处有一座闹鬼的城堡,只需在里面守夜三个晚上,就能轻松学会怎样发抖。 —

The king had promised that he who would venture should have his daughter to wife, and she was the most beautiful maiden the sun shone on. —
国王曾答应谁敢去的人就可以娶他的女儿为妻,而她是阳光照耀下最美丽的少女。 —

Likewise in the castle lay great treasures, which were guarded by evil spirits, and these treasures would then be freed, and would make a poor man rich enough. —
这座城堡里还有许多被邪灵守护的巨大财富,如果解放了这些财宝,就能让一个贫穷人变得富有。 —

Already many men had gone into the castle, but as yet none had come out again. —
已经有许多人进入过这座城堡,但至今没有人出来。 —

Then the youth went next morning to the king, and said: ‘If it be allowed, I will willingly watch three nights in the haunted castle.’
第二天早上,青年去见国王,说:“如果可以的话,我愿意在这座闹鬼的城堡里守夜三个晚上。”

The king looked at him, and as the youth pleased him, he said: —
国王看着他,觉得这个青年很讨喜,于是说: —

‘You may ask for three things to take into the castle with you, but they must be things without life. —
“你可以带上三样没有生命的东西进城堡,但不能是活物。” —

’ Then he answered: ‘Then I ask for a fire, a turning lathe, and a cutting-board with the knife.’
然后他回答道:”那么,我要一把火,一个车床和一块带刀的切板。”

The king had these things carried into the castle for him during the day. —
国王在白天将这些东西运到了城堡里。 —

When night was drawing near, the youth went up and made himself a bright fire in one of the rooms, placed the cutting-board and knife beside it, and seated himself by the turning-lathe. —
快到晚上的时候,年轻人上楼在其中一个房间点了一把明亮的火,把切板和刀放在旁边,然后坐在车床旁边。 —

‘Ah, if I could but shudder!’ said he, ‘but I shall not learn it here either. —
“啊,我能不能产生些恐惧感呢!” 他说道,”但我在这里也学不会。 —

’ Towards midnight he was about to poke his fire, and as he was blowing it, something cried suddenly from one corner: —
“接近午夜时分,他正准备烧旺火时,突然从一个角落传来声音:”嗷,喵! —

‘Au, miau! how cold we are! —
我们好冷啊! —

’ ‘You fools!’ cried he, ‘what are you crying about? If you are cold, come and take a seat by the fire and warm yourselves. —
“你们这些傻瓜!” 他叫道,”你们在哭什么?如果你们冷,过来坐在火边取暖吧。 —

’ And when he had said that, two great black cats came with one tremendous leap and sat down on each side of him, and looked savagely at him with their fiery eyes. —
“说完之后,两只巨大的黑猫一跃而至,分别坐在他的两侧,用它们火辣的眼睛凶狠地盯着他。 —

After a short time, when they had warmed themselves, they said: ‘Comrade, shall we have a game of cards? —
没过多久,当他们把自己暖和起来后,他们说:“同志们,我们打把牌,怎么样?” “为什么不呢? —

’ ‘Why not? —
”他回答说, —

’ he replied, ‘but just show me your paws. —
“但给我看看你们的爪子。 —

’ Then they stretched out their claws. ‘Oh, ’ said he, ‘what long nails you have! —
”然后他们伸出了它们的爪子。“噢,”他说,“你们的指甲好长啊! —

Wait, I must first cut them for you. —
等一下,我先给你们修剪一下。 —

’ Thereupon he seized them by the throats, put them on the cutting-board and screwed their feet fast. —
”于是他抓住它们的喉咙,把它们放在砧板上,紧紧地固定住它们的脚。 —

‘I have looked at your fingers,’ said he, ‘and my fancy for card-playing has gone, ’ and he struck them dead and threw them out into the water. —
“我看了一下你们的手指,”他说,“我不想打牌了。”他把它们打死并扔进水里。 —

But when he had made away with these two, and was about to sit down again by his fire, out from every hole and corner came black cats and black dogs with red-hot chains, and more and more of them came until he could no longer move, and they yelled horribly, and got on his fire, pulled it to pieces, and tried to put it out. —
但当他解决了这两个之后,又从各个洞和角落里冲出来了黑猫和黑狗,它们带着红热的铁链,越来越多的它们涌来,直到他无法动弹,它们发出可怕的咆哮声,跳到他的火堆上,撕碎它,试图把火扑灭。 —

He watched them for a while quietly, but at last when they were going too far, he seized his cutting-knife, and cried: —
他悄悄地观察了他们一段时间,但最终当他们走得太远时,他拿起他的刀子,喊道: —

‘Away with you, vermin, ’ and began to cut them down. —
“走开,害虫们!”然后开始砍他们。 —

Some of them ran away, the others he killed, and threw out into the fish-pond. —
其中一些逃走了,其他的他杀死了,扔进鱼塘里。 —

When he came back he fanned the embers of his fire again and warmed himself. —
当他回来时,他再次扇动火炉的余烬,取暖。 —

And as he thus sat, his eyes would keep open no longer, and he felt a desire to sleep. —
当他这样坐着的时候,他的眼睛再也无法保持睁开,他感到想睡觉。 —

Then he looked round and saw a great bed in the corner. —
于是他四处看了看,看见角落里有一张大床。 —

‘That is the very thing for me, ’ said he, and got into it. —
“那正适合我”,他说,并上床了。 —

When he was just going to shut his eyes, however, the bed began to move of its own accord, and went over the whole of the castle. —
当他刚要闭上眼睛的时候,床竟然自行移动起来,穿过整个城堡。 —

‘That’s right,’ said he, ‘but go faster. —
“真不错”,他说,“但走快点。 —

’ Then the bed rolled on as if six horses were harnessed to it, up and down, over thresholds and stairs, but suddenly hop, hop, it turned over upside down, and lay on him like a mountain. —
”然后床像有六匹马拉着一样,在门槛和楼梯上上下下滚动,但突然一翻身,它上下颠倒地压在他身上,像一座山一样重。 —

But he threw quilts and pillows up in the air, got out and said: —
但他扔起被子和枕头,爬了出来,并说道: —

‘Now anyone who likes, may drive, ’ and lay down by his fire, and slept till it was day. —
‘现在任何喜欢的人都可以开车,’依偎在火边躺下,一直睡到天亮。 —

In the morning the king came, and when he saw him lying there on the ground, he thought the evil spirits had killed him and he was dead. —
早晨国王来了,当他看见他躺在地上时,他以为是恶魔把他杀死了。 —

Then said he: ‘After all it is a pity, –for so handsome a man.’ The youth heard it, got up, and said: ‘It has not come to that yet. —
然后他说:‘毕竟是个可惜的人。’年轻人听到了,起身说:‘还没有到那个地步。’ —

’ Then the king was astonished, but very glad, and asked how he had fared. —
然后国王惊讶又高兴,问他过得如何。‘非常好, —

‘Very well indeed, ’ answered he; —
’他回答说; —

‘one night is past, the two others will pass likewise. —
‘已经过了一夜,剩下的两晚也会过去。 —

’ Then he went to the innkeeper, who opened his eyes very wide, and said: —
’然后他去找旅店老板,那人睁大了眼睛,说: —

‘I never expected to see you alive again! —
‘没想到你还能活着回来! —

Have you learnt how to shudder yet? —
你学会怕了吗? —

’ ‘No,’ said he, ‘it is all in vain. —
’‘没有,’他说,‘一切都徒劳。 —

If someone would but tell me!’
如果有人能告诉我就好了!’

The second night he again went up into the old castle, sat down by the fire, and once more began his old song: —
第二天晚上,他又走进那座古堡,坐在火炉旁,再次唱起了他的老调: —

‘If I could but shudder! —
“如果我能害怕就好! —

’ When midnight came, an uproar and noise of tumbling about was heard; —
当午夜来临时,传来了一阵骚动和随之而来的撞倒声, —

at first it was low, but it grew louder and louder. —
起初声音很低,但逐渐变得越来越响。 —

Then it was quiet for a while, and at length with a loud scream, half a man came down the chimney and fell before him. —
然后静了一会儿,最终伴随着一声尖叫,半截人从烟囱中掉了下来,摔在他面前。 —

‘Hullo! —
“嘿! —

’ cried he, ‘another half belongs to this. —
”他喊道,“这又是另外一半。 —

This is not enough! —
这还不够!” —

’ Then the uproar began again, there was a roaring and howling, and the other half fell down likewise. —
然后骚动又开始了,有一阵咆哮和嚎叫声,另一半也掉了下来。 —

‘Wait,’ said he, ‘I will just stoke up the fire a little for you. —
“等一下,”他说,“我给你重新加点火。” —

’ When he had done that and looked round again, the two pieces were joined together, and a hideous man was sitting in his place. —
当他做完这些并再次看过去时,两半人拼接在了一起,一个丑陋的人坐在了他的座位上。 —

‘That is no part of our bargain, ’ said the youth, ‘the bench is mine. —
“这不是我们约定的一部分,”年轻人说,“这个凳子是我的。 —

’ The man wanted to push him away; —
”那人想要把他推开。 —

the youth, however, would not allow that, but thrust him off with all his strength, and seated himself again in his own place. —
然而,青年不允许这样做,他用尽全力将他推开,坐回了自己的位置。 —

Then still more men fell down, one after the other; —
接着,更多的人一个接一个地倒下; —

they brought nine dead men’s legs and two skulls, and set them up and played at nine-pins with them. —
他们拿来了九只死人的腿和两个头骨,竖立起来,用它们打瓶子。 —

The youth also wanted to play and said: —
青年也想玩,说:“听着, —

‘Listen you, can I join you? —
能让我加入吗?”“可以, —

’ ‘Yes, if you have any money. —
如果你有钱的话。 —

’ ‘Money enough,’ replied he, ‘but your balls are not quite round. —
“足够的钱,”他答道,“但是你的球不够圆。 —

’ Then he took the skulls and put them in the lathe and turned them till they were round. —
“然后,他拿起头骨,放到车床上,把它们转圆。 —

‘There, now they will roll better! —
“现在它们会滚得更好了! —

’ said he. —
”他说。 —

‘Hurrah! now we’ll have fun! —
“好啦!现在我们要尽兴了! —

’ He played with them and lost some of his money, but when it struck twelve, everything vanished from his sight. —
”他和它们一起玩,输掉了一些钱,但当钟敲到十二点时,一切都从他的视线中消失了。 —

He lay down and quietly fell asleep. —
他躺下安静地睡着了。 —

Next morning the king came to inquire after him. —
第二天早上,国王来探望他。 —

‘How has it fared with you this time? —
“这次情况怎么样?”他问道。 —

’ asked he. —

‘I have been playing at nine-pins, ’ he answered, ‘and have lost a couple of farthings. —
“我一直在玩九柱,”他回答道,“我输了几个小钱。 —

’ ‘Have you not shuddered then? —
” “那你没有害怕吗? —

’ ‘What?’ said he, ‘I have had a wonderful time! —
“什么?” 他说,“我过得很开心! —

If I did but know what it was to shudder!’
只不过我不知道害怕是什么感觉!”

The third night he sat down again on his bench and said quite sadly: —
第三天晚上他又坐回了长椅上,悲伤地说: —

‘If I could but shudder. —
“要是我能害怕就好了。” —

’ When it grew late, six tall men came in and brought a coffin. —
等到天黑下来,六个高大的人走了进来,带着一个棺材。 —

Then he said: —
然后他说: —

‘Ha, ha, that is certainly my little cousin, who died only a few days ago, ’ and he beckoned with his finger, and cried: —
“哈哈,那肯定是我那个只死了几天的小表弟,”他招手并喊道: —

‘Come, little cousin, come. —
“过来吧,小表弟, —

’ They placed the coffin on the ground, but he went to it and took the lid off, and a dead man lay therein. —
过来吧。” 他们把棺材放在地上,然后他走过去打开了盖子,里面躺着一个死人。 —

He felt his face, but it was cold as ice. ‘Wait, ’ said he, ‘I will warm you a little, ’ and went to the fire and warmed his hand and laid it on the dead man’s face, but he remained cold. —
他摸了摸他的脸,但感觉冷得像冰。 “等等,”他说,“我给你暖暖。” 于是他走向火炉,暖了一下手,然后放在死人的脸上,但他依然冷冰冰的。 —

Then he took him out, and sat down by the fire and laid him on his breast and rubbed his arms that the blood might circulate again. —
然后他把他带出来,坐在火边,把他放在胸前,擦着他的手臂,使血液再次循环起来。 —

As this also did no good, he thought to himself: —
由于这样也无济于事,他心想: —

‘When two people lie in bed together, they warm each other, ’ and carried him to the bed, covered him over and lay down by him. —
“当两个人一起躺在床上时,他们会互相温暖”,于是他把他抱到床上,给他盖好被子,然后自己躺在他旁边。 —

After a short time the dead man became warm too, and began to move. —
过了不久,这个死人也变暖了,开始动了起来。 —

Then said the youth, ‘See, little cousin, have I not warmed you? —
然后年轻人说:“你看,小表弟,我给你暖和了吧?” —

’ The dead man, however, got up and cried: ‘Now will I strangle you.’
然而,死人却站起来喊道:“现在我要勒死你!”

‘What!’ said he, ‘is that the way you thank me? —
“什么!”他说,“你就这样感谢我吗? —

You shall at once go into your coffin again, ’ and he took him up, threw him into it, and shut the lid. —
你立刻要回到你的棺材里去”,然后他把他举起来,扔进棺材里,关上了盖子。 —

Then came the six men and carried him away again. —
然后六个人来了,又把他抬走了。 —

‘I cannot manage to shudder, ’ said he. —
“我无法发抖,”他说。 —

‘I shall never learn it here as long as I live.’
“我在这里活着就永远学不会了。”

Then a man entered who was taller than all others, and looked terrible. He was old, however, and had a long white beard. —
接着一个比其他人都要高大、看起来可怕的男人进来了。他年纪很大,长着一把长白胡子。 —

‘You wretch,’ cried he, ‘you shall soon learn what it is to shudder, for you shall die.’ ‘Not so fast, ’ replied the youth. —
‘你这个恶棍,’他喊道,‘你很快就会知道什么是恐惧,因为你将要死了。’‘不要这么着急,’年轻人回答道。 —

‘If I am to die, I shall have to have a say in it. —
‘如果我要死,我必须要有发言权。 —

’ ‘I will soon seize you,’ said the fiend. —
’‘我很快就会抓住你,’恶魔说。‘轻轻地, —

‘Softly, softly, do not talk so big. —
不要说得这么大声。 —

I am as strong as you are, and perhaps even stronger. —
我和你一样强壮,或许还更强壮。 —

’ ‘We shall see,’ said the old man. —
’‘我们来看看,’老人说。 —

‘If you are stronger, I will let you go–come, we will try. —
‘如果你更强壮,我就会放你走–来吧,我们试试。 —

’ Then he led him by dark passages to a smith’s forge, took an axe, and with one blow struck an anvil into the ground. —
’然后他带他走过黑暗的通道到达一个铁匠的锻造车间,拿起一把斧头,并一刀将一块铁砧砸进地里。 —

‘I can do better than that, ’ said the youth, and went to the other anvil. —
‘我可以做得比这更好,’年轻人说着走向另一个铁砧。 —

The old man placed himself near and wanted to look on, and his white beard hung down. —
老人站在旁边,想要看个究竟,他的白胡子垂了下来。 —

Then the youth seized the axe, split the anvil with one blow, and in it caught the old man’s beard. —
然后年轻人拿起斧头,一刀劈开了那块铁砧,并抓住了老人的胡子。 —

‘Now I have you,’ said the youth. —
‘现在我抓到你了,’年轻人说。 —

‘Now it is your turn to die. —
‘现在轮到你去死了。 —

’ Then he seized an iron bar and beat the old man till he moaned and entreated him to stop, when he would give him great riches. —
”然后他拿起一根铁棒,猛烈地打老人,老人求他停下,他就会给他巨大的财富。 —

The youth drew out the axe and let him go. —
年轻人拔出斧子放了他。 —

The old man led him back into the castle, and in a cellar showed him three chests full of gold. —
老人把他带回城堡,在一个地下室里给他看了三箱满满的金子。 —

‘Of these,’ said he, ‘one part is for the poor, the other for the king, the third yours. —
“其中一部分是给穷人的,另一部分给国王,第三部分是给你的。 —

’ In the meantime it struck twelve, and the spirit disappeared, so that the youth stood in darkness. —
与此同时,钟敲响了十二下,灵魂消失了,年轻人就站在黑暗中。 —

‘I shall still be able to find my way out, ’ said he, and felt about, found the way into the room, and slept there by his fire. —
“我还能找到出路,”他说着,四处摸索,找到了通往房间的路,并在那里靠着火睡着了。 —

Next morning the king came and said: —
第二天早上,国王来了,说: —

‘Now you must have learnt what shuddering is? —
“现在你应该学会什么是胆战心惊了吧? —

’ ‘No,’ he answered; —
”“不,”他回答说, —

‘what can it be? —
“那是什么? —

My dead cousin was here, and a bearded man came and showed me a great deal of money down below, but no one told me what it was to shudder. —
我的死堂兄在这里,有个长胡子男人给我看了很多钱,但没有人告诉我什么是胆战心惊。 —

’ ‘Then,’ said the king, ‘you have saved the castle, and shall marry my daughter. —
“那么,”国王说道,“你已经拯救了城堡,可以娶我的女儿了。” —

’ ‘That is all very well,’ said he, ‘but still I do not know what it is to shudder!’
“这还不错,”他说,“但是我还不知道什么是害怕!”

Then the gold was brought up and the wedding celebrated; —
之后,黄金被拿出来,婚礼庆祝了。 —

but howsoever much the young king loved his wife, and however happy he was, he still said always: —
但是无论这位年轻国王有多么爱他的妻子,多么幸福,他总是说: —

‘If I could but shudder–if I could but shudder. —
“如果我能害怕一下——如果我能害怕一下。 —

’ And this at last angered her. —
” 最终这激怒了她。她的侍女说: —

Her waiting-maid said: —
“我会想个办法让他害怕的; —

‘I will find a cure for him; —
他很快会知道了。” —

he shall soon learn what it is to shudder. —
她走到园子里流经的小溪边, —

’ She went out to the stream which flowed through the garden, and had a whole bucketful of gudgeons brought to her. —
让人给她捕来一桶满满的鳜鱼。 —

At night when the young king was sleeping, his wife was to draw the clothes off him and empty the bucket full of cold water with the gudgeons in it over him, so that the little fishes would sprawl about him. —
当夜晚年轻国王睡觉的时候,她要将他的被子褪下来,将装满鳜鱼的冷水倒在他身上,让小鱼在他身上扭动。 —

Then he woke up and cried: ‘Oh, what makes me shudder so? —
接着他醒来大喊:“哦,是什么让我这么害怕? —

–what makes me shudder so, dear wife? —
——是什么让我这么害怕,亲爱的妻子?” —

Ah! now I know what it is to shudder!’
啊!现在我知道什么是害怕了!