It happened that the cat met the fox in a forest, and as she thought to herself: —
在一个森林中,猫偶然遇见了狐狸,她心想: —

‘He is clever and full of experience, and much esteemed in the world, ’ she spoke to him in a friendly way. —
“他聪明且经验丰富,在世人中备受尊重。”她友好地向他打招呼, —

‘Good day, dear Mr Fox, how are you? —
“亲爱的狐狸先生,你好吗? —

How is all with you? How are you getting on in these hard times? —
一切都好吗?在这艰难的时刻你过得如何? —

’ The fox, full of all kinds of arrogance, looked at the cat from head to foot, and for a long time did not know whether he would give any answer or not. —
自恃身份的狐狸从头到脚打量着猫,半天都不确定是否要回答她。 —

At last he said: ‘Oh, you wretched beard-cleaner, you piebald fool, you hungry mouse-hunter, what can you be thinking of? —
最后他说:“哦,你这个胡子清洁工,你这个花斑傻瓜,你这个饥肠辘辘的追鼠者,你在想些什么? —

Have you the cheek to ask how I am getting on? —
你竟然有脸问我过得怎么样? —

What have you learnt? —
你学会了什么? —

How many arts do you understand? —
你懂几门艺术? —

’ ‘I understand but one,’ replied the cat, modestly. ‘What art is that? —
“我只懂一门,”猫谦逊地回答道。“那是什么艺术? —

’ asked the fox. —
”狐狸问道。 —

‘When the hounds are following me, I can spring into a tree and save myself. —
“当猎狗追赶我时,我会跳上树保命。”“就这些? —

’ ‘Is that all?’ said the fox. —
”狐狸说。 —

‘I am master of a hundred arts, and have into the bargain a sackful of cunning. —
‘我是百艺之长,而且还有一袋诡计。 —

You make me sorry for you; —
你让我为你感到遗憾; —

come with me, I will teach you how people get away from the hounds. —
跟我来,我会教你如何逃离猎犬。’就在这时, —

’ Just then came a hunter with four dogs. —
一名猎人带着四只狗走了过来。 —

The cat sprang nimbly up a tree, and sat down at the top of it, where the branches and foliage quite concealed her. —
猫轻盈地跳上了一棵树,并坐在了树顶上,树枝和叶子完全将她掩藏起来。 —

‘Open your sack, Mr Fox, open your sack, ’ cried the cat to him, but the dogs had already seized him, and were holding him fast. —
‘打开你的袋子,狐狸先生,打开你的袋子,’猫对他喊道,但是狗已经抓住了他,牢牢地抓住了他。 —

‘Ah, Mr Fox,’ cried the cat. —
‘啊,狐狸先生,’猫叫道, —

‘You with your hundred arts are left in the lurch! —
‘你和你的百艺竟然落得这个下场! —

Had you been able to climb like me, you would not have lost your life.’
如果你能像我一样爬树,你就不会失去生命了。’