Some men are born to good luck: —
有些人天生就走运: —

all they do or try to do comes right–all that falls to them is so much gain–all their geese are swans–all their cards are trumps–toss them which way you will, they will always, like poor puss, alight upon their legs, and only move on so much the faster. —
他们做什么或试图做什么都会成功–他们所遇到的一切都是收获–他们的鹅全是天鹅–他们的牌全是王牌–无论你如何摔他们,他们总是像可怜的猫一样落在脚下,只是移动得更快而已。 —

The world may very likely not always think of them as they think of themselves, but what care they for the world? —
世界也许并不总是像他们自认为的那样看待他们,但他们又何须在乎世界呢? —

what can it know about the matter?
它又能对这件事知道多少呢?

One of these lucky beings was neighbour Hans. Seven long years he had worked hard for his master. —
这些幸运的人中就有邻居汉斯。七年来,他为他的主人辛勤工作。最后他说, —

At last he said, ‘Master, my time is up; —
“主人,我的时间到了; —

I must go home and see my poor mother once more: —
我必须回家看望我可怜的母亲, —

so pray pay me my wages and let me go. —
所以请付我工资让我走吧。 —

’ And the master said, ‘You have been a faithful and good servant, Hans, so your pay shall be handsome. —
”主人说,“汉斯,你一直是个忠实且好的仆人,所以你的薪水将是丰厚的。 —

’ Then he gave him a lump of silver as big as his head.
”然后他给了他一块像他头那么大的一团银子。

Hans took out his pocket-handkerchief, put the piece of silver into it, threw it over his shoulder, and jogged off on his road homewards. —
汉斯拿出他的手帕,把银子包起来,扔在肩上,然后继续朝家的方向走去。 —

As he went lazily on, dragging one foot after another, a man came in sight, trotting gaily along on a capital horse. —
当他懒洋洋地走着,一只脚拖着一只脚,一个人走进了视线范围,骑着一匹好马洋洋洒洒地小跑着。 —

‘Ah! —
‘啊! —

’ said Hans aloud, ‘what a fine thing it is to ride on horseback! —
’汉斯大声说道,‘骑马真是一件好事情啊! —

There he sits as easy and happy as if he was at home, in the chair by his fireside; —
他坐在那里舒舒服服、快乐自如,就像在家里的椅子上一样; —

he trips against no stones, saves shoe-leather, and gets on he hardly knows how. —
他不会绊倒,还省下了鞋子,也不知道怎么就快速前进了。 —

’ Hans did not speak so softly but the horseman heard it all, and said, ‘Well, friend, why do you go on foot then?’ ‘Ah! —
’汉斯虽然说得不算轻声,但骑马的人全都听到了,并说道,‘好吧,朋友,那你为什么还步行呢?’‘啊! —

’ said he, ‘I have this load to carry: —
’他说,‘我得扛着这个包裹。 —

to be sure it is silver, but it is so heavy that I can’t hold up my head, and you must know it hurts my shoulder sadly. —
确实是银子,但是太重了,我抬不起头,你知道吗,它让我的肩膀痛得厉害。 —

’ ‘What do you say of making an exchange? —
’‘你觉得交换一下怎么样? —

’ said the horseman. —
’骑马的人说道, —

‘I will give you my horse, and you shall give me the silver; —
‘我把马给你,你给我银子; —

which will save you a great deal of trouble in carrying such a heavy load about with you. —
这样你就不用再麻烦地扛着这么重的包裹了。 —

’ ‘With all my heart, ’ said Hans: —
’‘我心甘情愿,’汉斯说: —

‘but as you are so kind to me, I must tell you one thing–you will have a weary task to draw that silver about with you. —
‘但是既然你对我那么好,我必须告诉你一件事——你将不得不辛苦地把那块银子随身携带。 —

’ However, the horseman got off, took the silver, helped Hans up, gave him the bridle into one hand and the whip into the other, and said, ‘When you want to go very fast, smack your lips loudly together, and cry “Jip!”’
’然而,骑马人下了马,拿走了那块银子,帮助汉斯起身,并把缰绳交到他的一只手里,鞭子交到另一只手里,然后说道,“当你想要飞奔的时候,大声嘎嘣嘎嘣地咂咂嘴唇,喊‘吉普!’”

Hans was delighted as he sat on the horse, drew himself up, squared his elbows, turned out his toes, cracked his whip, and rode merrily off, one minute whistling a merry tune, and another singing,
汉斯坐在马上,高兴极了,他挺直上身,肘部伸出,脚尖外扣,抽了鞭子,欢快地骑着走了,一会儿吹着欢快的曲调,一会儿唱着:

‘No care and no sorrow, A fig for the morrow! —
‘没有烦恼和忧愁,对明天一根葱! —

We’ll laugh and be merry, Sing neigh down derry!’
我们将欢笑跳跃,唱“嘶鸣吉普!”’

After a time he thought he should like to go a little faster, so he smacked his lips and cried ‘Jip! —
过了一会儿,他想要加快速度,于是他咂嘴嘎嘣,喊道:“吉普! —

’ Away went the horse full gallop; —
”马就全速飞驰起来; —

and before Hans knew what he was about, he was thrown off, and lay on his back by the road-side. —
汉斯还没来得及反应,他就被摔下来,倒在路边。 —

His horse would have ran off, if a shepherd who was coming by, driving a cow, had not stopped it. —
如果不是一位正好经过的牧羊人驾着一头牛阻止它,他的马可能已经跑掉了。 —

Hans soon came to himself, and got upon his legs again, sadly vexed, and said to the shepherd, ‘This riding is no joke, when a man has the luck to get upon a beast like this that stumbles and flings him off as if it would break his neck. —
汉斯很快恢复了神智,重新站起来,非常烦恼地对牧羊人说:“骑马可不是闹着玩的,当一个人运气好坐到像这样会绊倒他并且将他摔下来差点撞破脖子的牲口上时,实在不好玩。 —

However, I’m off now once for all: —
不过,这次我就离开了, —

I like your cow now a great deal better than this smart beast that played me this trick, and has spoiled my best coat, you see, in this puddle; —
就一劳永逸地离开了:我现在非常喜欢你的牛,比起那个让我百害而无一利的聪明家伙来说,看你也明白了,它弄脏了我的最好的外套。 —

which, by the by, smells not very like a nosegay. —
顺便一提,这个牛粪上并没有很芳香的花束味道。 —

One can walk along at one’s leisure behind that cow–keep good company, and have milk, butter, and cheese, every day, into the bargain. —
一个人可以悠哉地跟在这头牛后面,有个好伙伴,另外每天还有牛奶、黄油和奶酪。 —

What would I give to have such a prize! —
我会为了得到这样的奖品付出什么! —

’ ‘Well,’ said the shepherd, ‘if you are so fond of her, I will change my cow for your horse; —
” “好吧,”牧羊人说,“如果你这么喜欢它,我就用我的牛换你的马。 —

I like to do good to my neighbours, even though I lose by it myself.’ ‘Done! —
尽管自己会吃亏,我喜欢对邻居们做好事。‘做完啦! —

’ said Hans, merrily. —
’ 汉斯高兴地说道。 —

‘What a noble heart that good man has! —
‘那个好人有多高尚的心啊!’ —

’ thought he. Then the shepherd jumped upon the horse, wished Hans and the cow good morning, and away he rode.
他心想。然后,牧羊人跳上马,向汉斯和牛说早上好,骑走了。

Hans brushed his coat, wiped his face and hands, rested a while, and then drove off his cow quietly, and thought his bargain a very lucky one. —
汉斯刷了一下他的外套,擦了一下脸和手,休息了一会儿,然后悄悄地赶走了他的牛,心想交易真是太幸运了。 —

‘If I have only a piece of bread (and I certainly shall always be able to get that), I can, whenever I like, eat my butter and cheese with it; —
‘如果我只有一块面包(我肯定总能弄到),我就可以随时用它来吃黄油和奶酪; —

and when I am thirsty I can milk my cow and drink the milk: —
当我口渴时,我可以挤我的牛,喝奶: —

and what can I wish for more? —
我还能想要什么呢? —

’ When he came to an inn, he halted, ate up all his bread, and gave away his last penny for a glass of beer. —
’ 当他来到一个小酒馆时,他停下来,吃完了他所有的面包,拿出最后的一分钱买了一杯啤酒。 —

When he had rested himself he set off again, driving his cow towards his mother’s village. —
休息好后,他又上路了,驾着牛朝他母亲的村庄走去。 —

But the heat grew greater as soon as noon came on, till at last, as he found himself on a wide heath that would take him more than an hour to cross, he began to be so hot and parched that his tongue clave to the roof of his mouth. —
但是当中午来临的时候,热量变得更加强烈,直到最后,在他发现自己身处一片要花费他一个多小时才能穿越的广阔荒野时,他开始感到灼热得让他的舌头贴在了上颚。 —

‘I can find a cure for this,’ thought he; —
“我可以找个方法治疗这个问题”,他想, —

‘now I will milk my cow and quench my thirst’: —
“现在我将挤一挤我的奶牛,并解渴。” —

so he tied her to the stump of a tree, and held his leathern cap to milk into; —
于是他把奶牛拴在一棵树桩上,并用他的皮帽捏在手上准备挤奶, —

but not a drop was to be had. —
结果一滴奶也没有。 —

Who would have thought that this cow, which was to bring him milk and butter and cheese, was all that time utterly dry? —
谁能想到这头本来应该给他提供奶、黄油和奶酪的奶牛,竟然完全干涸了呢? —

Hans had not thought of looking to that.
汉斯之前根本没有考虑到这一点。

While he was trying his luck in milking, and managing the matter very clumsily, the uneasy beast began to think him very troublesome; —
当他笨拙地试图挤奶、管理这件事时,这只不安的牲口开始觉得他非常烦人。 —

and at last gave him such a kick on the head as knocked him down; —
最后,它对他的脑袋狠狠地踢了一脚, —

and there he lay a long while senseless. —
把他踢倒在地,他昏迷了很久。 —

Luckily a butcher soon came by, driving a pig in a wheelbarrow. —
幸运的是,很快一个屠夫推着一只猪的独轮车经过了。 —

‘What is the matter with you, my man? —
“你怎么了,我的朋友? —

’ said the butcher, as he helped him up. —
”屠夫问道,同时帮他起身。 —

Hans told him what had happened, how he was dry, and wanted to milk his cow, but found the cow was dry too. —
汉斯告诉他发生了什么事情,他口渴了,想给他的奶牛挤奶,但发现奶牛也干了。 —

Then the butcher gave him a flask of ale, saying, ‘There, drink and refresh yourself; —
然后屠夫给了他一瓶麦酒,说道:“喝了吧,让自己恢复一下;你的奶牛不会给你牛奶的: —

your cow will give you no milk: —
你看她是一头老养不活的牲口了。” —

don’t you see she is an old beast, good for nothing but the slaughter-house? —
汉斯哀叹道:“唉,唉,谁会想到呢?拿走我的马,给我一头干巴巴的牛! —

’ ‘Alas, alas!’ said Hans, ‘who would have thought it? —
如果我杀了她,她还有什么用呢?我讨厌牛肉;对我来说不够嫩。 —

What a shame to take my horse, and give me only a dry cow! If I kill her, what will she be good for? I hate cow-beef; —
如果是只猪——就像你现在轻松驾驶的那个胖绅士——至少还能做些什么;至少可以做香肠。 —

it is not tender enough for me. —
” —

If it were a pig now–like that fat gentleman you are driving along at his ease–one could do something with it; —
屠夫说:“嗯,当有人要求帮忙的时候, —

it would at any rate make sausages. —
我不喜欢说不。” —

’ ‘Well,’ said the butcher, ‘I don’t like to say no, when one is asked to do a kind, neighbourly thing. —
尽管如此,下次我看到你的奶牛,我还是会为你杀了它,好让你满意。不过你得再找个奶牛了。” —

To please you I will change, and give you my fine fat pig for the cow. —
为了取悦你,我愿意做出改变,用我的好肥猪来换你的奶牛。 —

’ ‘Heaven reward you for your kindness and self-denial! —
”“愿天赐予你慷慨和自我克制的回报!” —

’ said Hans, as he gave the butcher the cow; —
韩斯把奶牛给了屠夫, —

and taking the pig off the wheel-barrow, drove it away, holding it by the string that was tied to its leg.
然后将绑在腿上的绳子牵着猪,把它从独轮车上抬下来,开开心心地走了。

So on he jogged, and all seemed now to go right with him: —
于是他继续前进,一切似乎都顺利了:他遇到了一些不幸,但现在他因此得到了好报。 —

he had met with some misfortunes, to be sure; —
有了这么一个最终如此愉快的旅行伴侣,还能怎么样呢? —

but he was now well repaid for all. —
他遇到的下一个人是一个农夫, —

How could it be otherwise with such a travelling companion as he had at last got?
抱着一只漂亮的白鹅。农夫停下来问了一下几点钟,然后他们开始聊了起来。

The next man he met was a countryman carrying a fine white goose. —
韩斯告诉农夫他的好运气, —

The countryman stopped to ask what was o’clock; —
他做了这么多好交易,整个世界都对他微笑着。 —

this led to further chat; —

and Hans told him all his luck, how he had so many good bargains, and how all the world went gay and smiling with him. —
然后农夫开始讲自己的故事,说他正要把这只鹅带去参加一个洗礼。 —

The countryman then began to tell his tale, and said he was going to take the goose to a christening. —
“摸摸看,”他说,“它有多重,可它才才八周大。” —

‘Feel,’ said he, ‘how heavy it is, and yet it is only eight weeks old. —
故事还在继续. .. —

Whoever roasts and eats it will find plenty of fat upon it, it has lived so well!’ ‘You’re right, ’ said Hans, as he weighed it in his hand; —
谁要是把它烤了吃了,就会发现上面有很多脂肪,它生活得那么好!‘ ‘你说得对,’汉斯说着,一边在手里称量着它; —

‘but if you talk of fat, my pig is no trifle. —
‘但是如果你说起脂肪来,我的猪可不是个小事。 —

’ Meantime the countryman began to look grave, and shook his head. ‘Hark ye! —
’与此同时,农民变得严肃起来,摇了摇头。‘听着! —

’ said he, ‘my worthy friend, you seem a good sort of fellow, so I can’t help doing you a kind turn. —
’他说,‘我的好朋友,你似乎是个不错的人,所以我不能不帮你一把。 —

Your pig may get you into a scrape. —
你的猪可能会让你陷入麻烦。 —

In the village I just came from, the squire has had a pig stolen out of his sty. —
我刚才来的村子里,地主的猪被偷走了。 —

I was dreadfully afraid when I saw you that you had got the squire’s pig. —
当我看到你的时候,我非常担心你是不是偷了地主的猪。 —

If you have, and they catch you, it will be a bad job for you. —
如果是的话,一旦他们抓住你,你将会很糟糕。 —

The least they will do will be to throw you into the horse-pond. —
他们至少会把你扔进马池里。你会游泳吗? —

Can you swim?’

Poor Hans was sadly frightened. ‘Good man, ’ cried he, ‘pray get me out of this scrape. —
可怜的汉斯吓坏了。‘好心人,’他喊道,‘请帮我摆脱这个困境。 —

I know nothing of where the pig was either bred or born; —
我对那只猪的来历一无所知;它是在哪里生长和出生的。’ —

but he may have been the squire’s for aught I can tell: —
但他可能是那位侍从的,至少我看不出来: —

you know this country better than I do, take my pig and give me the goose. —
你对这个国家比我了解,拿去我的猪,给我一只鹅吧。 —

’ ‘I ought to have something into the bargain, ’ said the countryman; —
‘‘我也应该得到点好处,’农夫说道, —

‘give a fat goose for a pig, indeed! —
‘拿一只肥鹅换一只猪,真是过分! —

‘Tis not everyone would do so much for you as that. —
‘不是每个人都能为你做这么多。不过, —

However, I will not be hard upon you, as you are in trouble. —
我不会对你太苛刻,因为你遇到了麻烦。 —

’ Then he took the string in his hand, and drove off the pig by a side path; —
’然后他抓住绳子,沿着小路将猪赶走了; —

while Hans went on the way homewards free from care. —
而汉斯则无忧无虑地回家了。 —

‘After all,’ thought he, ‘that chap is pretty well taken in. —
‘毕竟,’他心想,‘那家伙算是受了不少损失。 —

I don’t care whose pig it is, but wherever it came from it has been a very good friend to me. —
我不在乎那只猪是谁的,但无论它来自哪里,它一直对我很友好。 —

I have much the best of the bargain. —
我是占了便宜。 —

First there will be a capital roast; —
首先可以烤一顿大餐; —

then the fat will find me in goose-grease for six months; —
然后,这脂肪可以供养我六个月的鹅脂; —

and then there are all the beautiful white feathers. —
还有那些漂亮的白色羽毛。 —

I will put them into my pillow, and then I am sure I shall sleep soundly without rocking. —
我要把它们放在我的枕头里,这样我肯定能安稳地睡觉,不需要摇动。 —

How happy my mother will be! Talk of a pig, indeed! Give me a fine fat goose.’
我的母亲将会多么高兴啊!居然谈到一只猪!给我一只好肥的鹅吧。

As he came to the next village, he saw a scissor-grinder with his wheel, working and singing,
当他走到下一个村庄时,他看到一个带着他的车轮工作并唱歌的剪刀磨工。

‘O’er hill and o’er dale So happy I roam, Work light and live well, All the world is my home; —
“在山上在山下,我快乐地漫游,工作轻松,生活美好,全世界都是我的家;那么, —

Then who so blythe, so merry as I?’
谁比我更快乐,更开心呢?”

Hans stood looking on for a while, and at last said, ‘You must be well off, master grinder! you seem so happy at your work. —
汉斯站在旁边看了一会儿,最后说:“磨刀师傅,你一定过得很好啊,你看起来工作得很开心。” —

’ ‘Yes,’ said the other, ‘mine is a golden trade; —
’是的,’另一个人说,‘我的行当是个挣大钱的行当; —

a good grinder never puts his hand into his pocket without finding money in it–but where did you get that beautiful goose? —
一个好的磨刀师从不把手伸进口袋里,而不是在里面找到钱来- —

’ ‘I did not buy it, I gave a pig for it. —

’ ‘And where did you get the pig? —
但是你这美丽的鹅是哪来的? —

’ ‘I gave a cow for it. —

’ ‘And the cow? —

’ ‘I gave a horse for it.’ ‘And the horse? —
’我没买,我是用一头猪换来的。 —

’ ‘I gave a lump of silver as big as my head for it. —
’‘那头猪是哪来的?’‘我是用一头牛换来的。 —

’ ‘And the silver? —
’‘那头牛呢? —

’ ‘Oh! —

I worked hard for that seven long years. —
‘我辛辛苦苦工作了七年。 —

’ ‘You have thriven well in the world hitherto,’ said the grinder, ‘now if you could find money in your pocket whenever you put your hand in it, your fortune would be made. —
’‘你在这个世界上干得很好,’磨刀匠说,‘如果你能够每次伸手进口袋都能找到钱,那你的财富就成了。 —

’ ‘Very true: but how is that to be managed? —
‘非常正确:但是这怎么办到呢?’‘怎么办? —

’ ‘How? Why, you must turn grinder like myself,’ said the other; —
嗯,你得像我这样当个磨刀匠,’另一个人说, —

‘you only want a grindstone; —
‘你只需要一块磨石; —

the rest will come of itself. —
其他的事情会自然而然地出现。 —

Here is one that is but little the worse for wear: —
这有一块还没有太磨损的,’ —

I would not ask more than the value of your goose for it–will you buy? —
我只要你的鹅的价值就行-你买不买?’‘你怎么可以这样问呢? —

’ ‘How can you ask? —
’汉斯说, —

’ said Hans; —

‘I should be the happiest man in the world, if I could have money whenever I put my hand in my pocket: —
‘如果我能够每次伸手进口袋都能有钱,我会成为世界上最幸福的人了: —

what could I want more? —
我还需要什么呢? —

there’s the goose. —
这儿是我的鹅。 —

’ ‘Now,’ said the grinder, as he gave him a common rough stone that lay by his side, ‘this is a most capital stone; —
‘现在,’磨刀匠递给他一块放在他身边的普通磨石,‘这是一块非常好的石头; —

do but work it well enough, and you can make an old nail cut with it.’
只要你磨得够好,你甚至可以用它割一个旧钉子。

Hans took the stone, and went his way with a light heart: —
汉斯拿起石头,心情愉快地离开了: —

his eyes sparkled for joy, and he said to himself, ‘Surely I must have been born in a lucky hour; —
他的眼睛因为喜悦而闪光,他对自己说,“我肯定是在一个幸运的时刻出生的; —

everything I could want or wish for comes of itself. —
我想要的一切都会自动到来。 —

People are so kind; —
人们是如此亲切; —

they seem really to think I do them a favour in letting them make me rich, and giving me good bargains.’
他们似乎真的以为我让他们发财,给他们好的交易,是在帮他们一个忙。”

Meantime he began to be tired, and hungry too, for he had given away his last penny in his joy at getting the cow.
与此同时,他开始感到疲倦,也饿了,因为他在得到牛后高兴地把最后一文钱都送了出去。

At last he could go no farther, for the stone tired him sadly: —
最后他走不动了,因为这块石头让他非常疲惫: —

and he dragged himself to the side of a river, that he might take a drink of water, and rest a while. —
他艰难地拖着自己到了一条河边,想喝点水,休息一下。 —

So he laid the stone carefully by his side on the bank: —
所以他小心地把石头放在河岸旁边, —

but, as he stooped down to drink, he forgot it, pushed it a little, and down it rolled, plump into the stream.
但当他弯下身子喝水时忘记了它,把它推了一下,结果啪嗒一声掉进了河里。

For a while he watched it sinking in the deep clear water; —
他注视着那颗石头在清澈的深水中下沉一会儿; —

then sprang up and danced for joy, and again fell upon his knees and thanked Heaven, with tears in his eyes, for its kindness in taking away his only plague, the ugly heavy stone.
然后跳了起来,欢舞雀跃,再次跪在地上,泪流满面地感谢上天的恩惠,感谢它把他唯一的困扰、那颗又丑又重的石头给带走了。

‘How happy am I!’ cried he; —
‘我多幸福啊!’他喊道; —

‘nobody was ever so lucky as I.’ Then up he got with a light heart, free from all his troubles, and walked on till he reached his mother’s house, and told her how very easy the road to good luck was.
‘没人比我更幸运了。’然后他心情轻松地站起来,摆脱了所有的烦恼,继续走着,直到到达他母亲的家,告诉她通往好运的路是多么容易。