There was once a fisherman who lived with his wife in a pigsty, close by the seaside. —
曾经有一个渔夫和他妻子住在靠近海边的猪舍里。这个渔夫每天整天都去钓鱼; —

The fisherman used to go out all day long a-fishing; —

and one day, as he sat on the shore with his rod, looking at the sparkling waves and watching his line, all on a sudden his float was dragged away deep into the water: —
有一天,当他坐在海岸边,拿着鱼竿,看着闪烁的波浪,把眼光放在鱼线上时,突然间他的浮标被深入水中拉走了; —

and in drawing it up he pulled out a great fish. —
当他把它拉起来时,拉出了一条巨大的鱼。 —

But the fish said, ‘Pray let me live! —
但是这条鱼说,“求求你放过我! —

I am not a real fish; —
我不是一条真正的鱼; —

I am an enchanted prince: —
我是一个被施了魔法的王子; —

put me in the water again, and let me go! —
把我放回水中,让我走吧!”渔夫说:“哦, —

’ ‘Oh, ho!’ said the man, ‘you need not make so many words about the matter; —
嗨!你不需要多说这些话;我不会和会说话的鱼打交道:所以请游走,先生,您愿意的话! —

I will have nothing to do with a fish that can talk: —
他把鱼放回水中,鱼直奔底部, —

so swim away, sir, as soon as you please! —
并在波浪上留下了一条长长的血迹。 —

’ Then he put him back into the water, and the fish darted straight down to the bottom, and left a long streak of blood behind him on the wave.

When the fisherman went home to his wife in the pigsty, he told her how he had caught a great fish, and how it had told him it was an enchanted prince, and how, on hearing it speak, he had let it go again. —
渔夫回到猪圈中的妻子那里,他告诉她他如何捕获了一条巨大的鱼,并告诉他它是一位被魔法变成的王子,还有他在听到鱼说话后放它回去了。 —

‘Did not you ask it for anything? —
“你没有要求它给你什么吗?”妻子说, —

’ said the wife, ‘we live very wretchedly here, in this nasty dirty pigsty; —
“我们在这个肮脏恶臭的猪圈里过得很悲惨;请你回去告诉那条鱼我们想要一个舒适的小屋。” —

do go back and tell the fish we want a snug little cottage.’
渔夫对这件事情并不是太喜欢,但是他还是去了海滨;

The fisherman did not much like the business: —
当他回来时, —

however, he went to the seashore; —
水看起来都变成了黄色和绿色。 —

and when he came back there the water looked all yellow and green. —
他站在水边,说道: —

And he stood at the water’s edge, and said:
“哦,海之人!请听我说!我的妻子伊尔莎必尔,她想要满足她的意愿,并派我向你讨个心愿!”

‘O man of the sea! Hearken to me! —
然后鱼游到他跟前说:“好吧,她想要什么? —

My wife Ilsabill Will have her own will, And hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!’
你妻子想要什么?” “啊!” 渔夫说,“她说我在捕到你之后,应该要求你给我些什么东西再放你走;

Then the fish came swimming to him, and said, ‘Well, what is her will? —
我没有这样做。 —

What does your wife want? —
” — —

’ ‘Ah! —

’ said the fisherman, ‘she says that when I had caught you, I ought to have asked you for something before I let you go; —
那么渔夫再次回到海滨。 —

she does not like living any longer in the pigsty, and wants a snug little cottage. —
她不再喜欢住在猪圈里了,她想要一个舒适的小屋。”鱼说: —

’ ‘Go home, then, ’ said the fish; —
“那你就回家吧”。 —

‘she is in the cottage already! —
“她已经在小屋里了! —

’ So the man went home, and saw his wife standing at the door of a nice trim little cottage. —
”于是,男人回家,看到妻子站在一个漂亮的小屋门口。“进来吧, —

‘Come in, come in! —
进来吧! —

’ said she; ‘is not this much better than the filthy pigsty we had? —
”她说:“这里难道不比我们原来那肮脏的猪圈好吗? —

’ And there was a parlour, and a bedchamber, and a kitchen; —
”在里面有一个客厅、一间卧室和一个厨房。 —

and behind the cottage there was a little garden, planted with all sorts of flowers and fruits; —
小屋后面有一个小花园,种满了各种花和水果。 —

and there was a courtyard behind, full of ducks and chickens. —
小屋后面还有一个院子,养满了鸭子和鸡。“啊! —

‘Ah! —

’ said the fisherman, ‘how happily we shall live now! —
”渔夫说:“我们将会过得多么幸福! —

’ ‘We will try to do so, at least,’ said his wife.
”“至少我们会尽力的,”他的妻子说。

Everything went right for a week or two, and then Dame Ilsabill said, ‘Husband, there is not near room enough for us in this cottage; —
一切都过得很好,过了一两个星期,伊尔莎比尔夫人说:“老公,这个小屋对我们来说不够大; —

the courtyard and the garden are a great deal too small; —
院子和花园太小了, —

I should like to have a large stone castle to live in: —
我想要一个大石堡来住。 —

go to the fish again and tell him to give us a castle. —
再去找鱼,告诉他给我们一座城堡吧。 —

’ ‘Wife,’ said the fisherman, ‘I don’t like to go to him again, for perhaps he will be angry; —
‘‘妻子,’ 那渔夫说, ‘我不想再去找他, 也许他会生气; —

we ought to be easy with this pretty cottage to live in. —
我们应该满足于这个漂亮的小屋来居住。’ 妻子说:废话!’, —

’ ‘Nonsense!’ said the wife; —
’ ‘他会很乐意的,我知道;去试试吧!’ —

‘he will do it very willingly, I know; go along and try!’
渔夫走了,但他的心情很沉重: 当他来到大海面前时,虽然海很平静,但看起来却很阴暗和忧郁;

The fisherman went, but his heart was very heavy: —
他走到海浪边缘, —

and when he came to the sea, it looked blue and gloomy, though it was very calm; —
说道: —

and he went close to the edge of the waves, and said:
‘噢,海洋之人!倾听我说! 我妻子伊莎比尔, 迫切地要求满足她的意愿, 已经派我来向您求助!’

‘O man of the sea! Hearken to me! —
‘那么她现在又想要什么?’鱼说。 —

My wife Ilsabill Will have her own will, And hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!’
‘啊!’ 那人悲伤地说: ‘我妻子想要住在一座石堡里。”

‘Well, what does she want now?’ said the fish. —
‘那么回家吧, —

‘Ah!’ said the man, dolefully, ‘my wife wants to live in a stone castle. —
‘鱼说, ‘她已经站在那个门口了。 —

’ ‘Go home, then,’ said the fish; —
— —

‘she is standing at the gate of it already. —

’ So away went the fisherman, and found his wife standing before the gate of a great castle. —
渔夫便离开了,发现他的妻子站在一座宏伟的城堡门前。‘你看, —

‘See,’ said she, ‘is not this grand? —
’她说,‘这不是很宏伟吗?’ —

’ With that they went into the castle together, and found a great many servants there, and the rooms all richly furnished, and full of golden chairs and tables; —
于是他们一起进入了城堡,发现那里有很多仆人,房间里都装饰豪华,摆放着金椅子和金桌子; —

and behind the castle was a garden, and around it was a park half a mile long, full of sheep, and goats, and hares, and deer; —
城堡后面有一个镶嵌围墙的花园,周围是一片长达半英里的公园,里面有羊、山羊、野兔和鹿; —

and in the courtyard were stables and cow-houses. —
庭院里有马厩和牛棚。‘好了, —

‘Well,’ said the man, ‘now we will live cheerful and happy in this beautiful castle for the rest of our lives. —
’男人说,‘我们以后会在这个美丽的城堡里过上愉快幸福的生活。’ —

’ ‘Perhaps we may,’ said the wife; —
‘也许吧,’妻子说道, —

‘but let us sleep upon it, before we make up our minds to that.’ So they went to bed.
‘不过在做决定之前,我们先睡一晚上好了。’于是他们上床睡觉。

The next morning when Dame Ilsabill awoke it was broad daylight, and she jogged the fisherman with her elbow, and said, ‘Get up, husband, and bestir yourself, for we must be king of all the land. —
第二天早上,当伊尔莎比回过神来时,天已大亮,她用胳膊肘碰了碰渔夫,说:‘起床吧,丈夫,快点动起来,我们要成为全国的国王。’ —

’ ‘Wife, wife,’ said the man, ‘why should we wish to be the king? —
‘妻子,妻子,’男人说道,‘我们为什么要想成为国王? —

I will not be king.’ ‘Then I will, ’ said she. —
我不想成为国王。’‘那我会成为,’她说。 —

‘But, wife,’ said the fisherman, ‘how can you be king–the fish cannot make you a king? —
‘但是,妻子,’渔夫说道,‘鱼儿怎么会让你成为国王呢? —

’ ‘Husband,’ said she, ‘say no more about it, but go and try! I will be king. —
‘亲爱的,’她说,‘不要再多说了,去试一试吧!我会成为国王的。 —

’ So the man went away quite sorrowful to think that his wife should want to be king. —
于是,男人悲伤地走了,想着他的妻子竟然想成为国王。 —

This time the sea looked a dark grey colour, and was overspread with curling waves and the ridges of foam as he cried out:
这次大海呈现出深灰色,覆盖着波涛汹涌、白浪连绵的景象,他大声喊着:

‘O man of the sea! Hearken to me! —
‘啊,海中之人!倾听我的话吧! —

My wife Ilsabill Will have her own will, And hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!’
我的妻子伊尔萨比尔,将按照她的愿望,派我向您讨一个请求!’

‘Well, what would she have now? —
‘好吧,她现在想要什么? —

’ said the fish. ‘Alas! —
’鱼说。‘唉, —

’ said the poor man, ‘my wife wants to be king. —
’可怜的男人说道,‘我妻子想成为国王。 —

’ ‘Go home,’ said the fish; —
‘回去吧,’鱼说道, —

‘she is king already.’
‘她已经是国王了。

Then the fisherman went home; —
于是渔夫回家了, —

and as he came close to the palace he saw a troop of soldiers, and heard the sound of drums and trumpets. —
当他靠近王宫时,他看见一队士兵,听见了鼓声和喇叭声。 —

And when he went in he saw his wife sitting on a throne of gold and diamonds, with a golden crown upon her head; —
当他进去时,他看到他的妻子坐在一个由金子和钻石制成的王座上,头上戴着一顶金冠; —

and on each side of her stood six fair maidens, each a head taller than the other. ‘Well, wife, ’ said the fisherman, ‘are you king? —
她的身边站着六个美丽的少女,一个比一个高一个头。 “嗯,妻子,”渔夫说,“你是国王吗? —

’ ‘Yes,’ said she, ‘I am king. —
“是的,”她说,“我是国王。 —

’ And when he had looked at her for a long time, he said, ‘Ah, wife! —
” 当他长时间地看着她时,他说:“啊, —

what a fine thing it is to be king! —
妻子!做国王多好啊! —

Now we shall never have anything more to wish for as long as we live. —
现在我们一辈子都没有什么可想要的了。 —

’ ‘I don’t know how that may be, ’ said she; ‘never is a long time. —
” “我不知道那可能是什么样子,”她说,“从来就是很长的时间。 —

I am king, it is true; —
我是国王,没错; —

but I begin to be tired of that, and I think I should like to be emperor. —
但我开始对此感到厌倦了,我想我想成为皇帝。” “唉, —

’ ‘Alas, wife! why should you wish to be emperor? —
妻子!你为什么想成为皇帝呢? —

’ said the fisherman. ‘Husband,’ said she, ‘go to the fish! I say I will be emperor. —
”渔夫说,“妻子,去找那条鱼!我说我要成为皇帝。” “啊, —

’ ‘Ah, wife! —
妻子! —

’ replied the fisherman, ‘the fish cannot make an emperor, I am sure, and I should not like to ask him for such a thing. —
”渔夫回答道,“鱼不能创造一个皇帝,我敢肯定,而且我不想为这样的事情向它求助。 —

’ ‘I am king,’ said Ilsabill, ‘and you are my slave; —
“‘我是国王,’伊尔萨比尔说,‘而你是我的奴隶; —

so go at once!’
所以立刻走开!’”

So the fisherman was forced to go; —
于是渔夫被迫离去,他边走边嘟囔着, —

and he muttered as he went along, ‘This will come to no good, it is too much to ask; —
“这是没好下场的,要求太多了;鱼终将疲惫不堪,届时我们会后悔我们所做的。”他很快来到了海滨; —

the fish will be tired at last, and then we shall be sorry for what we have done.’ He soon came to the seashore; —
大海水变得又黑又浑浊,一阵强烈的旋风吹过海浪,将它们翻腾不止,但他尽可能地靠近水边,说道: —

and the water was quite black and muddy, and a mighty whirlwind blew over the waves and rolled them about, but he went as near as he could to the water’s brink, and said:
“啊,大海之人!倾听我的请求!我妻子伊尔萨比尔想要她的意愿得到满足,所以她派我来向你讨一个宝贵的东西!”

‘O man of the sea! Hearken to me! —
“她现在想要什么? —

My wife Ilsabill Will have her own will, And hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!’
”鱼说。“啊!”渔夫说,“她想要当皇帝。”

‘What would she have now?’ said the fish. —
“回家吧。”鱼说, —

‘Ah!’ said the fisherman, ‘she wants to be emperor. —
“她已经是皇帝了。” —

’ ‘Go home,’ said the fish; —
于是他又回家了;当他走近时,他看到他的妻子伊尔萨比尔坐在一个非常高耸的由纯金制成的宝座上, —

‘she is emperor already.’
头上戴着一顶高达两码的皇冠;

So he went home again; —
“‘我是国王, —

and as he came near he saw his wife Ilsabill sitting on a very lofty throne made of solid gold, with a great crown on her head full two yards high; —
’伊尔萨比尔说,‘而你是我的奴隶;所以立刻走开!’” —

and on each side of her stood her guards and attendants in a row, each one smaller than the other, from the tallest giant down to a little dwarf no bigger than my finger. —
在她的两侧,站着一列护卫和侍从,一个比一个矮小,从最高的巨人到比我的手指还小的侏儒。 —

And before her stood princes, and dukes, and earls: and the fisherman went up to her and said, ‘Wife, are you emperor? —
站在她面前的是王子、公爵和伯爵:渔夫走上前去问道:“妻子,你是皇帝吗? —

’ ‘Yes,’ said she, ‘I am emperor. —
” “是的,”她回答,“我是皇帝。 —

’ ‘Ah!’ said the man, as he gazed upon her, ‘what a fine thing it is to be emperor! —
” 渔夫一边凝视着她一边说:“啊!成为皇帝真是一件了不起的事情啊! —

’ ‘Husband,’ said she, ‘why should we stop at being emperor? —
” “亲爱的,”她说,“我们为什么要止步于皇帝?我要成为教皇。 —

I will be pope next.’ ‘O wife, wife! —
” “噢,亲爱的!”他说, —

’ said he, ‘how can you be pope? —
“你怎么可能成为教皇呢? —

there is but one pope at a time in Christendom. —
在基督教世界里,一次只能有一位教皇。 —

’ ‘Husband,’ said she, ‘I will be pope this very day. —
” “亲爱的,”她说:“我今天就要成为教皇。 —

’ ‘But,’ replied the husband, ‘the fish cannot make you pope. —
” “但是,”丈夫回答,“这条鱼不能让你成为教皇。 —

’ ‘What nonsense! —
” “真是胡说八道! —

’ said she; —
”她说; —

‘if he can make an emperor, he can make a pope: go and try him.’
“如果它能让我成为皇帝,那么它也能让我成为教皇:去试试吧。”

So the fisherman went. —
渔夫就这样走了。 —

But when he came to the shore the wind was raging and the sea was tossed up and down in boiling waves, and the ships were in trouble, and rolled fearfully upon the tops of the billows. —
但当他来到岸边时,风在狂吹,海面上汹涌激荡,船只陷入困境,在巨浪之巅惊恐地翻滚。 —

In the middle of the heavens there was a little piece of blue sky, but towards the south all was red, as if a dreadful storm was rising. —
天空中心有一小片蓝天,但向南方却一片红色,仿佛可怕的风暴即将来临。 —

At this sight the fisherman was dreadfully frightened, and he trembled so that his knees knocked together: —
渔夫看到这一幕,吓得魂不附体,腿直打颤。 —

but still he went down near to the shore, and said:
但他仍然靠近海岸,说道:

‘O man of the sea! Hearken to me! —
‘噢,大海之人!倾听我的请求! —

My wife Ilsabill Will have her own will, And hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!’
我的妻子伊尔莎比尔想要满足她的意愿,她派我前来向你讨个恩惠!’

‘What does she want now?’ said the fish. —
‘她又想要什么?’鱼儿问道。‘啊! —

‘Ah!’ said the fisherman, ‘my wife wants to be pope. —
’渔夫说道,‘我的妻子想要成为教皇。’ —

’ ‘Go home,’ said the fish; —
‘回家吧,’鱼儿说道, —

‘she is pope already.’
‘她已经是教皇了。’

Then the fisherman went home, and found Ilsabill sitting on a throne that was two miles high. —
然后渔夫回到家,发现伊尔莎比尔坐在两英里高的宝座上。 —

And she had three great crowns on her head, and around her stood all the pomp and power of the Church. —
她头上戴着三顶盛大的王冠,周围站着教堂的所有威严和权力。 —

And on each side of her were two rows of burning lights, of all sizes, the greatest as large as the highest and biggest tower in the world, and the least no larger than a small rushlight. —
她的两侧各有两排大小不一的燃烧着的灯,最大的像世界上最高最大的塔一样高大,而最小的只有一支小小的蜡烛。 —

‘Wife,’ said the fisherman, as he looked at all this greatness, ‘are you pope?’ ‘Yes, ’ said she, ‘I am pope. —
“妻子,”渔夫看着这些壮丽景象说,“你是教皇吗?” “是的,”她说,“我是教皇。” —

’ ‘Well, wife,’ replied he, ‘it is a grand thing to be pope; —
“好吧,妻子,”他回答道,“成为教皇真是一件伟大的事情; —

and now you must be easy, for you can be nothing greater. —
现在你要放松,因为你再也不能成为更伟大的人了。” —

’ ‘I will think about that, ’ said the wife. Then they went to bed: —
“我会考虑的,”妻子说。然后他们上床睡觉了。 —

but Dame Ilsabill could not sleep all night for thinking what she should be next. —
但是伊莎比尔夫人整晚都无法入睡,一直在思考接下来她该成为什么。 —

At last, as she was dropping asleep, morning broke, and the sun rose. —
最后,当她快要入睡的时候,天亮了,太阳升起了。“啊! —

‘Ha! —
” —

’ thought she, as she woke up and looked at it through the window, ‘after all I cannot prevent the sun rising. —
她想着,当她醒来并透过窗户望着太阳时,“毕竟,我无法阻止太阳升起。” —

’ At this thought she was very angry, and wakened her husband, and said, ‘Husband, go to the fish and tell him I must be lord of the sun and moon. —
她想到这件事后非常生气,她唤醒了她的丈夫,说:“丈夫,去找那条鱼告诉他,我要成为太阳和月亮的主人。” —

’ The fisherman was half asleep, but the thought frightened him so much that he started and fell out of bed. —
渔夫半醒半睡,但这个想法吓得他从床上摔了下来。“哎呀,妻子! —

‘Alas, wife! —
” —

’ said he, ‘cannot you be easy with being pope?’ ‘No, ’ said she, ‘I am very uneasy as long as the sun and moon rise without my leave. —
他说,“你当教皇还不满足吗?”“不,”她说,“只要太阳和月亮不经过我的允许升起,我就很不安。 —

Go to the fish at once!’
立刻去找那条鱼!”

Then the man went shivering with fear; —
然后这个人战战兢兢地走下海滩, —

and as he was going down to the shore a dreadful storm arose, so that the trees and the very rocks shook. —
一场可怕的风暴突然袭来,使得树木甚至岩石都在摇动。 —

And all the heavens became black with stormy clouds, and the lightnings played, and the thunders rolled; —
天空变得一片漆黑,闪电闪烁,雷声隆隆; —

and you might have seen in the sea great black waves, swelling up like mountains with crowns of white foam upon their heads. —
你可以在大海中看到巨大的黑色浪头,它们像带着白色泡沫王冠的山一样翻滚。 —

And the fisherman crept towards the sea, and cried out, as well as he could:
渔夫蜷缩在海边,尽力喊道:

‘O man of the sea! Hearken to me! —
‘哦,大海人!请倾听我! —

My wife Ilsabill Will have her own will, And hath sent me to beg a boon of thee!’
我的妻子伊尔莎比想要顺从她的意愿,并派我到你这来求个愿。’

‘What does she want now?’ said the fish. —
‘她现在又想要什么呢?’小鱼说。’ —

‘Ah!’ said he, ‘she wants to be lord of the sun and moon. —
啊!’他说,’她想要成为太阳和月亮的主人。 —

’ ‘Go home,’ said the fish, ‘to your pigsty again.’
‘回家吧,’小鱼说,’ 回到你的猪舍里去吧。

And there they live to this very day.
从那时起,他们就一直住在那里,直到今天。