AFTER this incident mother suddenly asserted herself, made a firm stand, and was soon mistress of the house,while grandfather, grown thoughtful and quiet, and quite unlike himself, became a person of no account.
在这件事情之后,母亲突然开始表现出自己的力量,坚定立场,并很快成为了家里的女主人,而祖父变得思考和安静,与他自己截然不同,变得毫无价值。

He hardly ever went out of the house, but sat all day up in the attic reading, by stealth, a book called “TheWritings of My Father. —
他几乎从不出门,整天坐在阁楼里偷偷看一本叫做“我父亲的著作”的书。 —

” He kept this book in a trunk under lock and key, and one day I saw him wash his handsbefore he took it out. —
他把这本书锁在一个箱子里,有一天我看到他拿出书前洗了手。 —

It was a dumpy, fat book bound in red leather; —
这是一本矮胖、镶着红皮的书; —

on the dark blue title page a figuredinscription in different colored inks flaunted itself: —
在深蓝色的标题页上,用不同颜色的墨水写着一个图案铭文: —

“To worthy Vassili Kashmirin, in gratitude, and sincereremembrance”; —
“致有益的瓦西里·卡什米兰,感激和诚挚的记忆”; —

and underneath were written some strange surnames, while the frontispiece depicted a bird on thewing.
底下写着一些奇怪的姓氏,而扉页上画着一只展翅的鸟。

  Carefully opening the heavy binding, grandfather used to put on his silver-rimmed spectacles, and gazing at thebook, move his nose up and down for a long time, in order to get his spectacles at the right angle.
谨慎地打开沉重的书脊,祖父会戴上银边眼镜,凝视着书,用鼻子上下摇动很长时间,以使眼镜正确角度。

  I asked him more than once what book it was that he was reading, but he only answered in an impressive tone:
我不止一次问他在读什么书,但他只是用一种令人印象深刻的口气回答:

“Never mind… . Wait a bit, and when I die it will come to you. —
“不要紧……等一会,我死了会留给你的。 —

I will leave you my racoon pelisse too.”
我也会留给你我的貂皮大衣。”

He began to speak to mother more gently, but less often; —
他开始更温和地与母亲交谈,但次数更少; —

listening attentively to her speeches with his eyesglittering like Uncle Peter’s, and waving her aside as he muttered:
专心听她讲话,眼睛闪闪发光,像彼得大叔一样挥手让她别管他,嘟囔着:

  “There ! that ‘s enough. Do what you like …”
“好了!你想怎么办就怎么办吧……”

In that trunk of his lay many wonderful articles of attire skirts of silken material, padded satin jackets, sleevelesssilk gowns, cloth of woven silver and head-bands sewn with pearls, brightly colored lengths of material andhandkerchiefs, with necklaces of colored stones. —
在那个箱子里有许多精美的服饰,丝绸裙、填充的缎子夹克、无袖丝绸长袍、编织银布和缝有珍珠的头巾,艳丽的布料和手绢,镶有彩色宝石的项链。 —

He took them all, panting as he went, to mother’s room and laidthem about on the chairs and tables clothes were mother’s delight and he said to her:
他气喘吁吁地将它们全都拿到母亲房间,放在椅子和桌子上,衣服是母亲的喜爱,他对她说:

“In our young days dress was more beautiful and much richer than it is now. —
“在我们年轻的时候,服装比现在更漂亮、更丰富。 —

Dress was richer, and peopleseemed to get on better together. —
服装更丰富,人们似乎相处得更好。 —

But these times are past and cannot be called back … —
但这些时光已经过去,不能重新召回…… —

well, here you are; takethem, and dress yourself up.”
好吧,给你;拿去,打扮自己。”

One day mother went to her room for a short time, and when she reappeared she was dressed in a dark bluesleeveless robe, embroidered with gold, with a pearl head-band ; —
有一天,母亲短暂地去了她的房间,当她重新出现时,她穿着一件深蓝色无袖长袍,金线绣花,头戴一条珍珠头带; —

and making a low obeisance to grandfather, sheasked:
向祖父行了一个优雅的屈膝礼,并问道:

“Well, how does this suit you, my lord Father? —
“父亲阿,这样你觉得怎么样? —

” Grandfather murmured something, and brightening wonderfully,walked round her, holding up his hands, and said indistinctly, just as if he were talking in his sleep :
” 祖父咕哝了一些话,神情焕然一新,绕着她走了一圈,举起手来说着模糊不清的话,就好像在说梦话:

  “Ech! Varvara! … if you had plenty of money you would have the best people round you … !”
“呃!瓦尔瓦拉!……如果你有足够的钱,你会有最好的人围着你……!”

Mother lived now in two front rooms in the half-house, and had a great many visitors, the most frequent beingthe brothers Maximov: —
母亲现在住在半幢房子里的两间前房里,经常有许多访客,其中最频繁的是马克西莫夫兄弟: —

Peter, a well-set-up, handsome officer with a large, light beard and blue eyes the very onebefore whom grandfather thrashed me for spitting on the old gentleman’s head; —
彼得,一个身材匀称、英俊帅气的军官,拥有浓密的金色胡须和蓝色的眼睛,正是那个祖父曾因我对着老绅士的头吐口水而大打出手的人; —

and Eugen, also tall and thin,with a pale face and a small, pointed beard. —
还有尤金,也高大而瘦,脸色苍白,留着一把尖尖的胡须。 —

His large eyes were like plums, and he was dressed in a green coatwith gold buttons and gold letters on his narrow shoulders. —
他那大大的眼睛像李子,穿着一件带金钮扣和狭窄肩膀上有金色字样的绿外套。 —

He often tossed his head lightly, throwing his long,wavy hair back from his high, smooth forehead, and smiled indulgently; —
他常轻轻地扬起头,将他那长长的波浪发从他高高的、光滑的额头上拨开,友好地微笑着; —

and whenever he told some story in hishusky voice, he invariably began his speech with these insinuating words : —
每当他用嘶哑的声音讲述某个故事时,他总是以这些挑衅性的话语开始他的演讲: —

“Shall I tell you how it appears tome? —
“我告诉你这对我来说是什么样子的吗? —

” Mother used to listen to him with twinkling eyes, and frequently interrupted him laughingly with: —
“母亲用闪烁的眼睛听他讲话,并经常笑着打断他说: —

“You area baby, Eugen Vassilovitch forgive me for saying so !”
“对不起尤金·瓦西里诺维奇,我要说你是个小孩子!

  And the officer, slapping his broad palms on his knees, would cry:
”那名军官拍打着他宽广的手掌,喊道:

  “A queer sort of baby !”
“一个奇怪的小孩!

The Christmas holidays were spent in noisy gaiety, and almost every evening people came to see mother in fulldress ; —
圣诞假期度过了喧闹的快乐时光,几乎每天晚上都有人前来看母亲盛装出席; —

or she put on gala dress better than any of them wore and went out with her guests.
或者她穿着比任何客人都好的节日服装和客人们一起出去。

Every time she left the house, in company with her gaily attired guests, it seemed to sink into the earth, and aterrifying silence seemed to creep into every corner of it. —
每次她和穿着得体的客人一起离开家时,似乎整个房子都塌陷了,一种可怕的寂静似乎渗入到每一个角落。 —

Grandmother flapped about the room like an old goose,putting everything straight. —
奶奶像只老鹅一样在房间里蹦跶,把一切都弄得整整齐齐。 —

Grandfather stood with his back against the warm tiles of the stove, and talked tohimself.
祖父站在炉子旁边的温暖的砖瓦上,自言自语。

“Well … that will do … very good! … —
“好…那样就够了…非常好! —

We’ll have a look and see what family …”
“我们再看看…这家人是怎样的…

After the Christmas holidays mother sent Sascha, Uncle Michael’s son, and me to school. —
圣诞假期结束后,母亲把萨沙和迈克尔叔叔的儿子我送去了学校。 —

Sascha’s father hadmarried again, and from the very first the stepmother had taken a dislike to her stepson, and had begun to beathim; —
萨沙的父亲再婚了,而继母从一开始就厌恶继子,并开始打他; —

so at grandmother’s entreaty, grandfather had taken Sascha to live in his house. —
所以在祖母的恳求下,祖父带着萨沙去了他的房子住。 —

We went to school for amonth, and all I learned, as far as I remember, was that when I was asked “What . —
我们上了一个月的学,据我记得,我学到的只有当被问到“你的姓是什么?”时,我不能简单地回答“皮什科夫”,而要说“我的姓是皮什科夫”。 —

is your surname?” I must notreply “Pyeshkov” simply, but “My surname is Pyeshkov. —
我的姓氏是Pyeshkov”. —

” And also that I must not say to the teacher: —
“我还不得对老师说: —

“Don’tshout at me, my dear fellow, I am not afraid of you !”
“别对我大声喊,亲爱的同学,我不怕你!”

At first I did not like school, but my cousin was very pleased with it in the beginning, and easily made friends forhimself; —
一开始我并不喜欢上学,但我的表弟一开始非常满意,很容易结交了朋友; —

but once he fell asleep during a lesson, and suddenly called out in his sleep :
但有一次他在课堂上睡着了,突然在梦中大声喊道:

  “I wo on’t!”
“我不要!”

He awoke with a start and ran out of the class-room without ceremony. —
他惊醒过来,并且毫无礼貌地跑出了教室。 —

He was mercilessly laughed at for this;and the next day, when we were in the passage by Cyenvi Square, on our way to school, he came to a haltsaying:
为此他被无情地取笑;第二天,当我们在赛文广场的过道上走着,前往学校的时候,他停下脚步说:

  “You go on … I am not coming … I would rather go for a walk.”
“你去吧…我不去…我宁愿去散步。”

He squatted on his heels, carelessly dug his bundle of books into the snow, and went off. —
他蹲下来,随意把书包刨进雪堆里,然后走开了。 —

It was a clear Januaryday, and the silver rays of the sun fell all round me. —
那是一个晴朗的一月日,银色的阳光四面荧煌。 —

I envied my cousin very much, but, hardening my heart, Iwent on to school. —
我非常嫉妒我的表弟,但我犹豫着,还是继续走向学校。 —

I did not want to grieve my mother. The books which Sascha buried disappeared, of course, sohe had a valid reason for not going to school the next day; —
我不想让母亲伤心。萨沙埋的书自然消失了,所以他有理由不去上学第二天; —

but on the third day his conduct was brought tograndfather’s notice. —
但第三天他的行为引起了祖父的注意。 —

We were called up for judgment; in the kitchen grandfather, grandmother, and mother sat atthe table and cross-examined us and I shall never forget how comically Sascha answered grandfather’s questions.
我们被叫去受审判;在厨房里,祖父母和母亲坐在桌旁审问我们,我永远无法忘记萨沙是如何滑稽地回答祖父的问题的。

  “Why didn’t you go to school?”
“为什么你没去上学?”

  “I forgot where it was.”
“我忘记了它在哪里。”

  “Forgot?”
“忘记了?”

  “Yes. I looked and looked”
“是的。我找来找去。”

  “But you went with Alexei; he remembered where it was.”
“但你是和Alexei一起去的;他记得它在哪。”

  “And I lost him.”
“可我把他给丢了。”

  “Lost Lexei?”
“丢了Lexei?”

  “Yes.”
“是的。”

  “How did that happen?”
“怎么会这样?”

  Sascha reflected a moment, and then said, drawing in his breath:
Sascha思考了一会,然后吸了口气说:

  “There was a snowstorm, and you couldn’t see anything.”
“当时下着暴风雪,什么都看不见。”

They all smiled and the atmosphere began to clear ; —
他们都笑了起来,气氛开始明朗起来; —

even Sascha smiled cautiously. But grandfather saidmaliciously, showing his teeth:
甚至Sascha也小心翼翼地笑了。但是老爷爷恶意地说着,露出了牙齿:

  “But you could have caught hold of his arm or his belt, couldn’t you?”
“但你不是可以抓住他的胳膊或腰带吗?”

  “I did catch hold of them, but the wind tore them away,” explained Sascha.
“我确实抓住了,但风把它们吹走了,”Sascha解释道。

  He spoke in a lazy, despondent tone, and I listened uncomfortably to this unnecessary, clumsy lie, amazed at hisobstinacy.
他说话的语气懒散、沮丧,我感到不安地听着这个多余、笨拙的谎言,惊讶于他的固执。

We were thrashed, and a former fireman, an old man with a broken arm, was engaged to take us to school, and towatch that Sascha did not turn aside from the road of learning. —
我们被打得很惨,一个过气的消防员,一个胳膊受伤的老人,被聘为带我们上学,并看着萨夏不偏离学习的道路。 —

But it was no use. The next day, as soon as mycousin reached the causeway, he stooped suddenly, and pulling off one of his high boots threw it a long wayfrom him; —
但是没用。第二天,我表弟一到堤岸,突然弯下腰,脱掉一只高靴,朝着远处扔了出去; —

then he took off the other and threw it in the opposite direction, and in his stockinged feet ran acrossthe square. —
然后他脱掉另一只,朝着相反方向扔了出去,光着脚丫跑过了广场。 —

The old man, breathing hard, picked up the boots, and thereupon, terribly flustered, took me home.
呼吸急促的老人拾起了靴子,然后,慌张不安地带我回家。

All that day grandfather, grandmother, and my mother searched the town for the runaway, and it was eveningbefore they found him in the bar at Tchirkov’s Tavern, entertaining the public by his dancing. —
那一天,祖父、祖母和我母亲在城里四处寻找逃跑的人,直到傍晚才在奇尔科夫酒馆的酒吧里找到他,以他的舞蹈为大家娱乐。 —

They took himhome, and actually did not beat the shaking, stubborn, silent lad; —
他们把他带回家,竟然没有殴打这个抖不停、固执沉默的小伙子; —

but as he lay beside me in the loft, with his legsup and the soles of his feet scraping against the ceiling, he said softly:
但是当他躺在阁楼上,腿伸起,脚底刮着天花板,他轻声说:

“My stepmother does not love me, nor my father. Grandfather does not love me either; —
“我的继母不爱我,父亲也不爱我。祖父也不爱我; —

why should I live withthem? So I shall ask grandmother to tell me where the robbers live, and I shall run away to them . —
那我为什么要和他们住在一起呢?所以我会找祖母告诉我强盗住在哪里,然后我会逃到他们那里。 —

. . then youwill understand, all of you… . —
. . 然后你们都会明白。 … —

Why shouldn’t we run away together?”
我们为什么不能一起逃跑呢?”

I could not run away with him, for in those days I had a work before me I had resolved to be an officer with alarge, light beard, and for that study was indispensable. —
那时我不能和他一起逃跑,因为那时我有一个计划,我已决定要成为一个有着浓密胡须的军官,而为此学习是必不可少的。 —

When I told my cousin of my plan, he agreed with me,on reflection.
当我告诉我的表弟我的计划时,他在思考后同意了。

“That ‘s a good idea too. By the time you are an officer I shall be a robber-chief, and you will have to captureme, and one of us will have to kill the other, or take him prisoner. —
“这也是个好主意。等你成为军官时,我将成为一个强盗首领,你将不得不抓住我,然后我们中的一个将不得不杀掉另一个,或者俘虏他。 —

I shan’t kill you.”
我不会杀你。”

  “Nor I you.”
“我也不愿意。”

  On that point we were agreed.
在这一点上我们是一致的。

  Then grandmother came in, and climbing on to the stove, glanced up at us and said:
然后奶奶进来了,爬上火炉,抬头看着我们,说:

  “Well, little mice? E ekh! Poor orphans! … Poor little mites !”
“嘿,小老鼠们?啊呀!可怜的孤儿们!可怜的小东西们!”

  Having pitied us, she began to abuse Sascha’s step-mother fat Aunt Nadejda, daughter of the inn-keeper, goingon to abuse stepmothers in general, and, apropos, told us the story of the wise hermit lona, and how when he wasbut a lad he was judged, with his step-mother, by an act of God. His father was a fisherman of the White Lake :
怜悯了我们之后,她开始抨击莎莎的继母、胖胖的纳德吉达姨妈,以及一般的继母们,并顺便给我们讲了智者依奥纳的故事,说他小时候和继母一起被上帝的力量所审判。他的父亲是白湖的一个渔夫:

  “By his young wife his ruin was wrought,A potent liquor to him she brought,Made of herbs which bring sleep.
“她青春的妻子使他崩溃,给他带来了一种酒精浓度极高的酒,用草药制成,使人进入沉睡之中。她把他躺在橡树做成的船里,像一个坟墓,环境黑暗封闭,再用枫木桨划船。”

  She laid him, slumbering, in a barkOf oak, like a grave, so close and dark,And plied the maple oars.
“以诱骗及报复之罪,至死方休。”

  In the lake’s center she dug a hole,For there she had planned, in that dark pool,To hide her vile witch deed.
在湖的中心她挖了一个洞,因为她计划在那黑暗的水池中隐藏她邪恶的巫术。

  Bent double she rocked from side to side,And the frail craft o’erturned that witch bride !
她蜷缩着双腿摇摆着身体,那女巫新娘的脆弱小船翻倒了!

  And her husband sank deep.
她的丈夫沉入了深处。

  And the witch swam quickly to the shoreAnd fell to the earth with wailings sore,And womanly laments.
女巫迅速向岸边游去,跌倒在大地上痛苦地哀求,发出女人般的哀诉。

  The good folk all, believing her tale,Wept with the disconsolate female,And in bitterness cried:
所有善良的人都相信她的故事,与这名悲痛欲绝的女人一起哭泣,痛苦地呼喊着:

  ‘Oi ! As wife thy life was all too brief !
哦!作为妻子,你的生命实在太短暂!

  O’erwhelmed art thou by wifely grief;But life is God’s affair.
你被妻子的悲痛淹没了;但生命是上帝的事务。

  Death too He sends when it doth please Him.’
当他愿意时,他也会送死。

  Stepson lonushka alone looked grim,Her tears not believing.
继子Ionushka独自皱眉,不信她的眼泪。

  With his little hand upon his heartHe swiftly at her these words did dart:
他小小的手放在胸口,迅速对她说出这些话:

  ‘Oi! Fateful stepmother!
哦!命运多舛的继母!

  Oi ! Artful night-bird, born to deceive !
哦!狡猾的夜鸟,生来欺骗!

  Those tears of yours I do not believe !
我不相信你的眼泪!

  It is joy you feel not pain.
你感到的不是痛苦,而是喜悦。

  But we’ll ask our Lord, my charge to prove,And the aid of all the saints above.
但是我们会祈求我们的主,来证明我的控诉,并寻求上面所有圣徒的帮助。

Let some one take a knife,And throw it up to the cloudless sky; —
让某人拿着一把刀,向没有云的天空扔去; —

Blameless you, to me the knife will fly.
对你无辜,刀子却将飞向我;

  If I am right, you die!’
如果我是对的,你会死!

  The stepmother turned her baleful gazeOn him, and with hate her eyes did blazeAs she rose to her feet.
那邪恶的继母转动着凶狠的眼神,目光中充满了仇恨,站了起来;

  And with vigor replied to the attackOf her stepson, nor words did she lack.
奋力地回应着继子的攻击,字字珠玑;

  ‘Oh! creature without sense!
哦!没有头脑的生物!

  Abortion you ! fit for rubbish heap !
你是个产物!适合堆在垃圾堆里!

  By this invention, what do you reap ?
通过这个发明,你得到了什么?

  Answer you cannot give !’
你无法回答!’

  The good folk looked on, but nothing said;Of this dark business they were afraid.
善良的人们看着,却一言不发;他们对这件黑暗的事情感到害怕;

  Sad and pensive they stood;Then amongst themselves they held a debate,And a fisherman old and sedateBowing, advanced and said:
他们悲伤而沉默地站着;

  ‘In my right hand, good people, give meA steel knife, which I will throw, and yeShall see on whom it falls.’
然后他们在其中举行了一场辩论,一个老而沉静的渔夫鞠躬前行,说道:’

  A knife to his hand was their reply.
把一把钢刀交到我右手,我将扔出去,你们将看到它会落在谁身上;

  High above his gray head, to the sky,The sharp blade he did fling.
他把锋利的刀刃高高抛向头顶,挥向空中;

Like a bird, up in the air it went ; —
在空中它像一只鸟飞翔。 —

Vainly they waited for its descent,The crystal height scanning.
徒然等待着它的降临,扫视着晶莹的高度。

Their hats they doffed, and closer pressed they stood,Silent ; —
他们脱下帽子,更加紧密地站在一起,沉默; —

yea, Night herself seemed to brood ;But the knife did not fall.
是的,夜色本身似乎在沉思;但刀并没有落下。

  The ruby dawn rose over the lake,The stepmother, flushed, did courage takeAnd scornfully did smile.
红宝石般的黎明升起在湖面上,继母,脸红,鼓起勇气微笑。

  When like a swallow the knife did dartTo earth, and fixed itself in her heart.
当刀子像燕子一样划向地面,插进她的心脏。

  Down on their knees the people did fallPraising God Who is Ruler of All :
人们跪倒在地,赞美上帝,万物之主:‘上帝!你是公正的!’

  ‘Thou are just, O God !’
‘你是公正的,上帝!’

  lona, the fisherman, did take,And of him a hermit did make.
1、渔夫Ionata确实变成了隐士,

Far away by the bright River KerjentzaIn a cell almost invisible from the town Kite j a. —
2、在远离明亮的河流Kerjentza之处, —

” 11 In the year ‘90 in the village of Kolinpanovka, in the Government of Tambov, and the districtBorisoglebsk, I heard another version of this legend, in which the knife kills the stepson who ha’scalumniated his stepmother.
3、在一个几乎从Kitej镇看不见的小房间里。

  The next day I woke up covered with red spots, and this was the beginning of smallpox.
4、第二天,我醒来时布满红斑,

They put me up in the back attic, and there I lay for a long time, blind, with my hands and feet tightly bandaged,living through horrible nightmares, in one of which I nearly died. —
5、这标志着天花的开始。 —

No one but grandmother came near me, andshe fed me with a spoon as if I were a baby, and told me stories, a fresh one every time, from her endless store.
6、他们把我安排在后面的阁楼,

One evening, when I was convalescent, and lay without bandages, except for my hands, which were tied up toprevent me from scratching my face, grandmother, for some reason or ‘other, had not come at her usual time,which alarmed me; —
7、我在那里躺了很长时间,盲目, —

and all of a sudden I saw her. She was lying outside the door on the dusty floor of the attic,face downwards, with her arms outspread, and her neck half sawed through, like Uncle Peter’s; —
8、我身上只剩下双手紧紧绑着绷带, —

while from thecorner, out of the dusty twilight, there moved slowly towards her a great cat, with its green eyes greedily open. —
9、像叔叔彼得一样,脖子半截被锯断; —

Isprang out of bed, bruising my legs and shoulders against the window-frame, and jumped down into the yard intoa snowdrift. —
10、然后从阴暗的角落中,向她匍匐着一只大猫, —

It happened to be an evening when mother had visitors, so no one heard the smashing of the glass, orthe breaking of the window-frame, and I had to lie in the snow for some time. —
11、其绿色的眼睛贪婪地睁开。 —

I had broken no bones, but I haddislocated my shoulder and cut myself very much with the broken glass, and I had lost the use of my legs, andfor three months I lay utterly unable to move. —
12、我从床上跳下来,撞伤了腿和肩膀, —

I lay still and listened, and thought how noisy the house hadbecome, how often they banged the doors downstairs, and what a lot of people seemed to be coming and going.
13、撞在窗框上,跳入院子里的一堆雪堆。

Heavy snowstorms swept over the roof; —
14、正好那天晚上母亲有客人, —

the wind came and went resoundingly outside the door, sang a funerealsong down the chimney, and set the dampers rattling; —
15、所以没有人听见玻璃破碎声,也没有人听见窗框的断裂声,我必须在雪堆里躺一会儿。 —

by day the rooks cawed, and in the quiet night the dolefulhowling of wolves reached my ears such was the music under whose influence my heart developed. —
乌鸦白天啼叫,夜晚安静时狼的哀嚎声传入耳中,这样迷人的音乐影响着我的心灵成长。 —

Later on shyspring peeped into the window with the radiant eyes of the March sun, timidly and gently at first, but growingbolder and warmer every day; —
后来,害羞的春天透过窗户投来三月阳光的明眸,起初犹犹豫豫、温柔怯怯,但每一天都变得更加大胆和温暖; —

she-cats sang and howled on the roof and in the loft; —
她猫在屋顶和阁楼上唱歌和嚎叫; —

the rustle of spring penetratedthe very walls the crystal icicles broke, the half-thawed snow fell off the stable-roof, and the bells began to giveforth a sound less clear than they gave in winter. —
春日的沙沙声渗透到墙内,晶莹冰柱融化,半融雪从马厩屋顶跌落,钟声开始响起,比冬天凝固的声音要不那么清晰。 —

When grandmother came near me her words were more oftenimpregnated with the odor of vodka, which grew stronger every day, until at length she began to bring a largewhite teapot with her and hide it under my bed, saying with a wink:
奶奶走近我时,她的话语中常带着伏特加的气味,日益加重,直到最后她开始带着一个大白茶壶来,藏在我的床底下,眨巴着眼说:

  “Don’t you say anything to that grandfather of ours, will you, darling?”
“亲爱的,你不会告诉我们那老爷子,是吧?”

  “Why do you drink?”
“你为什么要喝酒?”

  “Never mind! When you are grown-up you’ll know.”
“没关系!等你长大了就会明白。”

  She pulled at the spout of the teapot, wiped her lips with her sleeve, and smiled sweetly as she asked:
她拉了茶壶的嘴,用袖子擦了擦嘴唇,甜蜜地笑着问:

  “Well, my little gentleman, what do you want me to tell you about this evening?”
“那么, 我的小绅士,今晚想让我给你讲些什么呢?”

  “About my father.”
“关于我的父亲。”

  “Where shall I begin?”
“我该从哪里开始呢?”

  I reminded her, and her speech flowed on like a melodious stream for a long time.
我提醒她,她的话语如一条旋律悠扬的小溪般流淌很久。

  She had begun to tell me about my father of her own accord one day when she had come to me, nervous, sad,and tired, saying:
有一天,她自发地开始给我讲述关于我父亲的故事,当时她来找我,神经紧张、悲伤、疲倦,说:

“I have had a dream about your father. —
“我做了个梦,梦见了你父亲。 —

I thought I saw him coming across the fields, whistling, and followed by apiebald dog with its tongue hanging out. —
我看见他在田野上走来,口哨吹着,身后跟着一只斑点狗,舌头伸了出来。 —

For some reason I have begun to dream about Maxim Savatyevitch veryoften . —
出于某种原因,我经常开始梦见马克西姆·萨瓦季耶维奇。 —

.. it must mean that his soul is not at rest …”
…这一定是表示他的灵魂没有得到安息…

  For several evenings in succession she told me my father’s history, which was interesting, as all her stories were.
几个晚上连续,她告诉我父亲的故事,像她所有的故事一样,都很有意思。

My father was the son of a soldier who had worked his way up to be an officer and was banished to Siberia forcruelty to his subordinates; —
我父亲是一个士兵的儿子,他曾经是一名军官,因虐待下属而被流放到西伯利亚; —

and there somewhere in Siberia my father was born. —
他就是在西伯利亚的某处出生的。 —

He had an unhappy life, and at avery early age he used to run away from home. —
他过着不幸的生活,很小的时候就经常离家出走。 —

Once grandfather set the dogs to track him down in the forest, asif he were a hare ; —
有一次,爷爷派狗去森林里追他,就像他是只野兔一样; —

another time, having caught him, he beat him so unmercifully that the neighbors took the childaway and hid him.
还有一次,爷爷抓到他后,残忍地打了他一顿,邻居们把孩子带走并藏了起来。

  “Do they always beat children?” I asked, and grandmother answered quietly:
“他们总是打孩子吗?”我问道,奶奶平静地回答:

  “Always.”
“总是。”

My father’s mother died early, and when he was nine years old grandfather also died, and he was taken by across-maker, who entered him on the Guild of the town of Perm and began to teach him his trade ; —
我父亲的母亲很早就去世了,当他九岁的时候,爷爷也去世了,他被一个靶子制造者收养,被注册到彼尔姆市的行会上,并开始教他手艺; —

but my fatherran away from him, and earned his living by leading blind people to the fairs. —
但我父亲从他那里逃了出来,通过带盲人去参加集市谋生。 —

When he was sixteen he came toNijni and obtained work with a joiner who was a contractor for the Kolchin steamboats. —
他十六岁时来到尼日尼,找到了一名做科尔钦轮船承包商的木匠工作。 —

By the time he wastwenty he was a skilled carpenter, upholsterer and decorator. —
到了二十岁时,他成为了一个熟练的木工、装潢工和装饰工。 —

The workshop in which he was employed was nextdoor to grandfather’s house in Kovalikh Street.
他在工作坊工作,而这个工作坊就在科瓦利赫街的爷爷家旁边。

“The fences were not high, and certain people were not backward,” said grandmother, laughing. —
“篱笆不高,有些人也不是很守规矩,”奶奶笑着说。 —

“So one day,when Varia and I were picking raspberries in the garden, who should get over the fence but your father! —
“有一天,Varia和我在花园里采摘覆盆子,结果谁从篱笆上翻了过来呢?就是你父亲! —

… I wasfrightened, foolishly enough; but there he went amongst the apple trees, a fine-looking fellow, in a white shirt,and plush breeches . —
……我当时很害怕,愚蠢至极;但他穿着一件白衬衫,绒布短裤,就在苹果树丛中穿来走去。 —

. . bare-footed and hatless, with long hair bound with leather bands. —
……光着脚,没戴帽子,长发用皮带捆起来。 —

That ‘s the way he camecourting. When I saw him for the first time through the window, I said to myself: —
他就是这样来求爱的。第一次透过窗户看见他时,我心里想: —

‘That’s a nice lad!’ So when hecame close to me now I asked him :
“这是个好小伙!”所以当他走近我时,我问他:

  “‘Why do you come out of your way like this, young man?’
“年轻人,你为何如此迂回前来呢?

“And he fell on his knees. ‘Akulina, he says, Tvanovna ! … —
“他跪了下来。“阿库丽娜,他说,特瓦诺夫娜!… —

because my whole heart is here … with Varia. Helpus, for God’s sake! —
“因为我的整个心都在这里… 和瓦利亚在一起。求求你们,上帝的缘故! —

We want to get married.’
“我们想要结婚。”

“At this I was stupefied and my tongue refused to speak. —
“听到这里,我目瞪口呆,舌头拒绝说话。 —

I looked, and there was your mother, the rogue, hidingbehind an apple tree, all red as red as the raspberries and making signs to him; —
“我看到你妈妈,这个流氓,躲在一棵苹果树后面,脸通红像覆盆子一样在向他打手势; —

but there were tears in her eyes.
“但她眼中含着泪水。

“‘Oh, you rogues !’ I cried. ‘How have you managed all this? —
“‘哦,你们这些流氓!’我喊道。‘你们怎么会搞定这一切? —

Are you in your senses, Varvara? And you, youngman,’ I said, ‘think what you are doing! —
“瓦尔瓦拉,你还理智吗?你,年轻人,’我说,‘想清楚你在做什么! —

Do you intend to get your way by force?’
“难道你打算用武力来达到目的?’

“At that time grandfather was rich, for he had not given his children their portions, and he had four houses of hisown, and money, and he was ambitious; —
“那时祖父很富有,因为他还没有把子女的那些份给出去,他有四栋房子自己的,还有钱,而且他野心勃勃; —

not long before that they had given him a laced hat and a uniformbecause he had been head of the Guild for nine years without a break and he was proud in those days. —
“就在不久之前,他们送给他一顶装饰帽和一套制服,因为他连续九年当过行会会长,那时他是自豪的。 —

I said tothem what it was my duty to say, but all the time I trembled for fear and felt very sorry for them too; —
“我对他们说了我该说的话,但同时我因为担心而颤抖,也很为他们感到难过; —

they hadboth become so gloomy. Then said your father:
“他们俩变得都很忧郁。接着你父亲说:

“‘I know quite well that Vassili Vassilitch will not consent to give Varia to me, so I shall steal her; —
“‘我很清楚瓦西里·瓦西里奇不会同意把瓦利亚嫁给我,所以我会偷走她; —

only you musthelp us.’
只有你必须帮助我们。

“So I was to help them. I could not help laughing at him, but he would not be turned from his purpose. —
“所以我要帮助他们。我忍不住笑了,但他无法改变他的目标。 —

‘You maystone me or you may help me, it is all the same to me I shall not give in,’ he said.
‘你可以砸我,也可以帮助我,对我来说都一样,我不会屈服,’他说。

“Then Varvara went to him, laid her hand on his shoulder, and said : —
“然后瓦尔瓦拉走到他跟前,把手放在他的肩膀上,说: —

‘We have been talking of getting married along time we ought to have been married in May.’
‘我们讨论结婚许久了,我们本应该在五月结婚的。’

  “How I started ! Good Lord !”
“我多么惊讶啊!天啊!”

Grandmother began to laugh, and her whole body shook; —
奶奶开始笑了起来,她的整个身体颤抖着; —

then she took a pinch of snuff, dried her eyes and said,sighing comfortably:
然后她撮了一小撮鼻烟,擦干眼泪,舒服地叹了口气说道:

“You can’t understand that yet … you don’t know what marrying means … —
“你现在还不理解那个…你不懂结婚意味着什么… —

but this you can understand that fora girl to give birth to a child before she is married is a dreadful calamity. —
但你可以理解这一点,一个女孩在结婚前生孩子是一场可怕的灾难。 —

Remember that, and when you aregrown-up never tempt a girl in that way ; —
记住这点,当你长大后永远不要诱惑一个女孩; —

it would be a great sin on your part the girl would be disgraced, and thechild illegitimate. —
这将是你的罪过,女孩会受到耻辱,孩子是非婚生的。 —

See that you don’t forget that ! You must be kind to women, and love them for their ownsakes, and not for the sake of self-indulgence. —
看着别忘了!你必须待女性和爱她们是因为她们本身,而不是自私放纵。 —

This is good advice I am giving you.”
这是我给你的好建议。”

  She fell into a reverie, rocking herself in her chair; then, shaking herself, she began again:
她进入了沉思,在椅子上摇摆;然后,摇摇头,她又开始说起:

“Well, what was to be done? I hit Maxim on the forehead, and pulled Varia’s plait; —
“哎呀,该怎么办呢?我打了麦克西姆的额头,还拽了瓦利亚的辫子; —

but he said reasonablyenough: ‘Quarreling won’t put things right.’ And she said : —
但他很理智地说:‘争吵解决不了问题。’她说: —

‘Let us think what is the best thing to do first, andhave a row afterwards.’
‘我们先想想最好的做法,然后再吵架。’

  “‘Have you any money?’ I asked him.
“‘你有钱吗?’我问他。

  “‘I had some,’ he replied, ‘but I bought Varia a ring with it.’
“‘我曾有过一些,’他回答说,‘但我用它给瓦利亚买了一个戒指。’

  “‘How much did you have then?’
“‘那你当时有多少钱?’

  “‘Oh,’ says he, ‘about a hundred roubles.’
“‘噢,’他说,‘大约一百卢布。”

“Now at that time money was scarce and things were dear, and I looked at the two your mother and father and Isaid to myself: —
“那时候金钱稀缺,物价昂贵,我看着你们母亲和父亲说: —

‘What children! … What young. fools!’
‘这些孩子!… 真是一对年轻傻瓜!’

  “‘I hid the ring under the floor,’ said your mother, ‘so that you should not see it. We can sell it.’
“‘我把戒指藏在地板下面,’ 你母亲说, ‘好让你看不见。我们可以卖掉它.’

“Such children they were both of them! —
“他们俩都是多么天真啊! —

However, we discussed the ways and means for them to be married in aweek’s time, and I promised to arrange the matter with the priest. —
不过,我们讨论了他们在一周内结婚的方式和办法,我答应和牧师安排这件事。 —

But I felt very uncomfortable myself, and myheart went pit-a-pat, because I was so frightened of grandfather; —
但是我自己也感到很不舒服,心里怦怦直跳,因为我非常害怕祖父; —

and Varia was frightened too, painfully so. —
Varia也非常害怕。 —

Well,we arranged it all!
嗯,我们把一切都安排好了!

“But your father had an enemy a certain workman, an evil-minded man who had guessed what was going onlong ago, and now watched our movements. —
“但是你父亲有一个敌人——一个工人,一个邪恶的人,早已猜到究竟,现在洞悉我们的行动。 —

Well, I arrayed my only daughter in the best things I could get, andtook her out to the gate, where there was a troika waiting. —
我让我唯一的女儿穿上最好的衣服,然后带她出门,在门口有一辆三马车在等。 —

She got into it, Maxim whistled, and away they drove.
她上了车,马克西姆吹着口哨,他们就开走了。

  I was going back to the house, in tears, when I ran across this man, who said in a cringing tone:
我哭着要回到房子, 但在半路碰到这个男人, 他用奉承的语气说:

“‘I have a good heart, and I shall not interfere with the workings of Fate; —
“‘我心地善良,我不会干涉命运的安排; —

only, Akulina Ivanovna, you must giveme fifty roubles for keeping quiet.’
只是, 阿库琳娜·伊万诺夫娜, 你必须给我五十卢布,我才会保持沉默.’

  “But I had no money; I did not like it, nor care to save it, and so I told him, like a fool:
“但我没有钱; 我不喜欢,也不愿意存钱, 所以我像个傻瓜一样告诉他:’

  “‘I have no money, so I can’t give you any.’
“‘我没有钱,所以我不能给你。”

  “‘Well,’ he said, ‘you can promise it to me.’
“‘那好吧,’他说,‘你可以向我承诺。’

  “‘How can I do that? Where am I to get it from after I have promised?’
“‘我怎么做到呢?承诺后我从哪里弄钱?’

  “‘Is it so difficult to steal from a rich husband?’ he says.
“‘从一个富有的丈夫那里偷难道很难吗?’他说。

“‘If I had not been a fool I should have temporized with him ; —
“‘如果我不是傻瓜,我本应该和他拖延时间; —

but I spat full in his ugly mug, and went into thehouse. —
但我在他那张丑陋的脸上吐了口口水,然后走进了房子。 —

And he rushed into the yard and raised a hue and cry.”
他冲进院子里大喊大叫。”

  Closing her eyes, she said, smiling:
闭着眼睛,她微笑着说:

“Even now I have a lively remembrance of that daring deed of mine. —
“即使现在我还对我那个大胆的行为记忆犹新。 —

Grandfather roared like a wild beast, andwanted to know if they were making fun of him. —
祖父像野兽一样咆哮,想知道他们是否在取笑他。 —

As it happened, he had been taking stock of Varia lately, andboasting about her: —
事实上,他最近一直在评估瓦利亚,并夸耀她: —

‘I shall marry her to a nobleman a gentleman !’ Here was a pretty nobleman for him! —
‘我要把她嫁给一个贵族一个绅士!’这可真是一个漂亮的贵族! —

herewas a pretty gentleman! But the Holy Mother of God knows better than we do what persons ought to be drawntogether.
这可真是一个漂亮的绅士!但圣母玛利亚比我们更清楚谁该聚在一起。

“Grandfather tore about the yard as if he were on fire, calling Jaakov and Michael and even at the suggestion ofthat wicked workman Klima, the coachman too. —
“祖父像着了火一样在院子里狂奔,叫着雅科夫和米哈伊尔,甚至在那个邪恶的工人克里玛的建议下,车夫也被叫来。 —

I saw him take a leathern strap with a weight tied on the end ofit, and Michael seized his gun. —
我看见他拿起一根扣着重物的皮带,而米哈伊尔抓起他的枪。 —

We had good horses then, full of spirit, and the carriage was light. ‘Ah well ! —
那时,我们有好马,精神饱满,而且马车很轻便。“啊呀! —

’ Ithought, ‘they are sure to overtake them. —
我想,他们肯定会追上他们。 —

’ But here Varia’s Guardian Angel suggested something to me. —
但是这时瓦里亚的天使保护者给了我一个建议。 —

I took aknife and cut the ropes belonging to the shafts. ‘There! —
我拿起一把刀,割断了槛的绳子。“好了! —

they will break down on the road now.’ And so they did.
他们现在会在路上抛锚了。”果然如此。

The shafts came unfastened on the way, and nearly killed grandfather and Michael and Klima too, besidesdelaying them; —
槛在路上解开,几乎伤到了祖父、迈克尔和克利玛,还拖延了他们; —

and by the time they had repaired it, and dashed up to the church, Varia and Maxim werestanding in the church porch married thank God!
修好后,他们才冲到教堂,感谢上帝,瓦里亚和马克西姆站在教堂门廊结婚了!

“Then our people started a fight with Maxim; —
“然后,我们的人开始和马克西姆打斗; —

but he was in very good condition and he was rare and strong. —
但他状态很好,实力雄厚。 —

Hethrew Michael away from the porch and broke his arm. Klima also was injured; —
他把迈克尔从门廊丢开,摔断了他的手臂。克利玛也受伤了; —

and grandfather and Jaakov andthat workman were all frightened!
祖父、雅各和那个工人都吓坏了!

  “Even in his rage he did not lose his presence of mind, but he said to grandfather:
“即使在愤怒中,他也没有失去镇定,但他对祖父说:

“‘You can throw away that strap. —
“‘你可以扔掉那根带子。 —

Don’t wave it about over me, for I am a man of peace, and what I have taken isonly what God gave me, and no man shall take from me . —
不要在我头上挥舞,因为我是一个好和平的人,我所得到的只是上帝给我的,没有任何人可以从我这里拿走。 —

.. and that is all I have to say to you.’
…这就是我对你们的全部回答。”

  “They gave it up then, and grandfather returned to the carriage crying:
“然后他们放弃了,并且爷爷哭着回到马车跟前说:

  “‘It is good-by now, Varvara ! You are no daughter of mine, and I never wish to see you again, either alive ordead of hunger.’
“‘现在就说再见吧,瓦尔瓦拉!你不是我的女儿,我永远也不想再见到你,无论是饿死还是活着。’

“When he came ‘home he beat me, and he scolded me; —
“回到家时他打了我,责骂了我; —

but all I did was to groan and hold my tongue.
“而我只是忍着痛苦闭着嘴。

  “Everything passes away, and what is to be will be. After this he said to me :
“一切都会过去,该发生的终究会发生。之后他对我说:

  “‘Now, look here, Akulina, you have no daughter now. Remember that.’
“‘现在,听着,阿库丽娜,你再也没有女儿了。记住这点。’

  “But I only said to myself:
“但我只是安慰自己说:

  “‘Tell more lies, sandy-haired, spiteful man say that ice is warm !’ ’
“‘胡说八道,红发恶毒的人,说冰是热的!’”

I listened attentively, greedily. Some part of her story surprised me, for grandfather had given quite a differentaccount of mother’s wedding; —
“我专心倾听,贪婪地听着。她的故事的一部分让我感到惊讶,因为爷爷曾经对母亲的婚礼另有讲法; —

he said that he had been against the marriage and had forbidden mother to hishouse after it, but the wedding had not been secret, and he had been present in the church. —
“他说他曾经对这门婚事反对过,并且婚后曾禁止母亲踏入他家,但婚礼并没有隐瞒,爷爷还当场在教堂见证。 —

I did not like to askgrandmother which of them spoke the truth, because her story was the more beautiful of the two, and I liked itbest.
“我不敢向奶奶询问谁说的是真话,因为她的版本更美丽,我更喜欢。

When she was telling a story she rocked from side to side all the time, just as if she were in a boat. —
“奶奶讲故事时总是摇摆着身躯,就像是在船上。 —

If she wasrelating something sad or terrible, she rocked more violently, and stretched out her hands as if she were pushingaway something in the air; —
“如果她在讲述什么悲伤或可怕的事,她会摇动得更猛烈,伸出双手,就像是在推开空气中的什么; —

she often covered her eyes, while a sightless, kind smile hid itself in her wrinkledcheek, but her thick eyebrows hardly moved. —
“她经常遮住双眼,一股慈祥的微笑藏在皱纹的脸颊里,但她浓密的眉毛几乎不动。 —

Sometimes this uncritical friendliness of hers to everybody touchedmy heart, and sometimes I wished that she would use strong language and assert herself more.
“有时她对所有人都表现出无条件的友好,触动了我的心,有时我希望她能更坚决地表达自己。”

“At first, for two weeks, I did not know whereVarvara and Maxim were; —
“起初,有两个星期我不知道Varvara和Maxim在哪里; —

then a little barefooted boy was sent to tell me. —
然后派来一个赤脚小男孩告诉我。 —

I went to see them on a Saturday I wassupposed to be going to vespers, but I went to them instead. —
我在一个星期六去看他们,我本应该去做晚祷,但我去看他们了。 —

They lived a long way off, on the Suetinsk Slope, inthe wing of a house overlooking a yard belonging to some works a dusty, dirty, noisy place; —
他们住得很远,在Suetinsk坡上,一个破旧房子的一角,俯瞰着一个属于一家厂子的庭院,一个又脏又吵的地方; —

but they did notmind it they were like two cats, quite happy, purring, and even playing together. —
但他们毫不在意,他们就像两只猫,非常快乐,呼噜呼噜地,甚至还一起玩。 —

I took them what I could tea,sugar, cereals of various kinds, jam, flour, dried mushrooms, and a small sum of money which I had got fromgrandfather on the quiet. —
我给他们带了些东西,茶、糖、各种谷类食品、果酱、面粉、干蘑菇,还有从祖父那里私自弄到的一小笔钱。 —

You are allowed to steal, you know, when it is not for yourself.
你知道吗,当不是为了自己时,你可以偷。

  “But your father would not take anything. ‘What ! Are we beggars’?’ he says.
“但你父亲不肯要任何东西。‘什么!难道我们是乞丐吗?’他说。

  “And Varvara played the same tune. ‘Ach! … What is this for, Mamasha’?’
“而Varvara也说了同样的话。‘啊!……这是干嘛的,亲爱的妈妈?’

“I gave them a lecture. ‘You young fools !’ I said. ‘Who am I, I should like to know? —
“我训斥了他们。‘你们这些年轻的傻瓜!’我说。‘我是谁,我想知道? —

… I am the mother Godgave you … and you, silly, are my own flesh and blood. —
……我是上帝赐给你们的母亲……而你,傻瓜,是我的鲜血。 —

Are you going to offend me ? Don’t you know thatwhen you offend your mother on earth, the Mother of God in Heaven weeps bitterly?’
你要得罪我吗?难道你不知道,当你在地上得罪你的母亲时,天上的圣母会悲痛流泪?’

“Then Maxim seized me in his arms and carried me round the room . —
“然后Maxim抱住我,绕着房间转了起来。 —

.. he actually danced he was strong, thebear! —
……他居然在跳舞,他好强壮,就像熊一样! —

And Varvara there, the hussy, was as proud as a peacock of her husband, and kept looking at him as if hewere a new doll, and talked about house-keeping with such an air you would have thought she was an old hand atit ! —
而Varvara呢,那个轻佻的女人,对她的丈夫感到非常骄傲,像新玩偶一样盯着他看,并且谈论家务事时神气活现,你会以为她是个老练的家庭主妇一样! —

It was comical to listen to her. And she gave us cheese-cakes for tea which would have broken the teeth of awolf, and curds all sprinkled with dust.
听她讲话太有趣了。她还给我们准备了下午茶的芝士蛋糕,硬得能把狼的牙齿咬碎,还有撒满灰尘的酪乳。

“Things went on like this for a long time, and your birth was drawing near, but still grandfather never said aword he is obstinate, our old man ! —
“事情一直这样持续了很长时间,你的出生也已经临近,但爷爷从未开口。他真是执拗的老家伙! —

I went to see them on the quiet, and he knew it; but he pretended not to. —
我悄悄去看过他们,他知道,但却假装不知道。 —

Itwas forbidden to any one in the house to speak of Varia, so she was never mentioned. —
家里任何人都不准提及瓦丽亚,所以她从未被提及。 —

I said nothing about hereither, but I knew that a father’s heart could not be dumb for long. —
我也没有提起她,但我知道父亲的心终究不会沉默太久。 —

And at last the critical moment arrived. It wasnight; —
最终关键时刻到来了。天黑了; —

there was a snowstorm raging, and it sounded as if bears were throwing themselves against the window.
正值暴风雪肆虐,听起来就像是熊在撞击窗户。

The wind howled down the chimneys; all the devils were let loose. —
风声呼啸着从烟囱里钻进来;所有的恶魔都被释放了。 —

Grandfather and I were in bed but we couldnot sleep.
爷爷和我躺在床上但无法入睡。

“‘It is bad for the poor on such a night as this,’ I remarked; —
“‘在这样的夜晚对贫困者是不利的,’我说; —

‘but it is worse for those whose minds are not at rest.’
“‘但对那些心神不安的人更糟糕。”

  “Then grandfather suddenly asked:
突然,爷爷问道:

  “‘How are they getting on? All right?’
“‘他们怎么样了?一切顺利吗?’

“‘Who are you talking about?’ I asked. —
“‘你说的是谁?’我问。 —

‘About our daughter Varvara and our son-in-law Maxim?’
“‘是我们的女儿瓦尔巴拉和女婿马克西姆吗?’

  “‘How did you guess who I meant?’
“‘你是怎么知道我指的是谁的?’

“‘That will do, Father,’ I said. —
“‘行了,父亲,’我说。 —

‘Suppose you leave off playing the fool”? —
“‘你别再胡说八道了’。 —

What pleasure is to be got out of it?
“从中能得到什么乐趣呢?

  “He drew in his breath. ‘Ach, you devil !’ he said. ‘You gray devil !’
“他吸了口气。‘啊,你这个恶魔!’他说。‘你这只灰色的恶魔!’

“Later on he said: ‘They say he is a great fool’ (he was speaking of your father). —
“后来他说:‘他们说他是个大傻瓜’(他在谈论你的父亲)。 —

‘Is it true that he is a fool?’
“‘他真的是个傻瓜吗?’

“‘A fool,’ I said, ‘is a person who won’t work, and hangs round other people’s necks. —
“‘傻瓜,’我说,‘是一个不愿意工作,总是依赖别人的人。看看Jaakov和Michael,比如;他们像傻瓜一样过日子吗?’ —

You look at Jaakov andMichael, for instance; don’t they live like fools? —
“这个家里谁是工作者?谁赚钱?你! —

Who is the worker in this house? Who earns the money? You!
“他们作为助手有用吗?’

  And are they much use as assistants ?’
“他便开始责骂我,说我是个傻瓜,一个卑鄙的家伙,一个娼妓,我也不知道还有什么。

  “Then he fell to scolding me I was a fool, an abject creature and a bawd, and I don’t know what else. I held mytongue.
“我保持沉默。

  “‘How can you allow yourself to be taken in by a man like that, when no one knows where he came from or whathe is?’
“‘你怎么会让自己被这样一个不知从何而来,又是什么人的人所迷惑呢?’

  “I kept quiet until he was tired, and then I said:
“他讲得累了,我静静地等到他讲完,然后说:

  “‘You ought to go and see how they are living. They are getting along all right.’
“‘你应该去看看他们是怎么生活的。他们还挺过得去的。’”

  “‘That would be doing them too much honor,’ he said. ‘Let them come here.’
“‘那会给他们太多的荣耀,’他说。‘让他们过来吧。’

  “At this I cried for joy, and he loosened my hair (he loved to play with my hair) and muttered:
“听到这句话我高兴地哭了起来,他便松开了我的头发(他喜欢摆弄我的头发)并嘟囔道:

  “‘Don’t upset yourself, stupid. Do you think I have not got a heart?’
“‘别激动,傻瓜。你以为我没有心吗?’

  “He used to be very good, you know, our grandfather, before he got an idea into his head that he was clevererthan any one else, and then he became spiteful and stupid.
“在爷爷头脑里有了自己比其他人聪明的想法之前,他曾经非常善良,然后变得恶毒又愚蠢。

“Well, so they came, your father and mother, one Saint’s Day both of them large and sleek and neat; —
“嗯,他们来了,你的父亲和母亲,一个圣人节,他们两个一个又大又修饰的; —

and Maximstood in front of grandfather, who laid a hand on his shoulder he stood there and he said:
“马克西姆站在爷爷面前,爷爷把手放在他肩膀上,他站在那里说道:

“‘Don’t think, Vassili Vassilitch, that I have come to you for a dowry ; —
“‘别以为,瓦西里·瓦西里奇,我是为了聘礼才来找你的;’ —

I have come to do honor to my wife’sfather.’
我来向我妻子的父亲致敬。

“Grandfather was very pleased at this, and burst out laughing. —
爷爷非常高兴,突然笑了起来。 —

‘Ach! you fighter!’ he said. ‘You robber ! Well,’
“啊!你这个战士!”他说。“你这个强盗!好吧,”

  he said, ‘we’ll be indulgent for once. Come and live with me.’
他说,“我们这次宽容一点。来和我住吧。”

“Maxim wrinkled his forehead. ‘That must be as Varia wishes,’ he said. —
“Maxim皱着眉头。“这得看Varia的意愿,”他说。 —

‘It is all the same to me.’
“对我来说无所谓。”

“And then it began. They were at each other tooth and nail all the time; —
“然后就开始了。他们总是争吵不休; —

they could not get on together anyhow. Iused to wink at your father and kick him under the table, but it was no use; —
他们无论如何都相处不来。我常常向你父亲眨眼,用脚碰他的脚,但没用; —

he would stick to his own opinion. Hehad very fine eyes, very bright and clear, and his brows were dark, and when he drew them together his eyeswere almost hidden, and his face became stony and stubborn. —
他坚持自己的意见。他有一双非常漂亮的眼睛,非常明亮清澈,他的眉毛很深,当他皱起眉时,几乎看不到他的眼睛,脸变得僵硬而固执。 —

He would not listen to any one but me. I loved him,if possible, more than my own children, and he knew this and loved me too. —
除了我,他不听别人的意见。我爱他,如果可能的话,比爱我的孩子还多,而他知道这一点,也爱我。 —

Sometimes he would hug me, andcatch me up in his arms, and drag me round the room, saying: —
有时候他会抱着我,用双臂抓住我,围着房间拖着我转圈,说着: —

‘You are my real mother, like the earth. I love youmore than I love Varvara. —
‘你是我的真正母亲,就像大地一样。我爱你比爱Varvara还多。’ —

’ And your mother (when she was happy she was very saucy) would fly at him and cry:
然后你妈妈(当她快乐时非常傲慢)会冲过去,大叫:

‘How dare you say such a thing, you rascal?’ And the three of us would romp together. Ah! —
‘你这个流氓,你怎么敢说这种话?’ 然后我们三个就一起嬉闹。啊! —

we were happy then,my dear. He used to dance wonderfully well too and such beautiful songs he knew. —
那时我们非常快乐,亲爱的。他也舞蹈得非常棒,还知道那么多美妙的歌。 —

He picked them up from theblind people; and there are no better singers than the blind.
他从盲人那里接过来的;盲人是最好的歌手。

  “Well, they settled themselves in the outbuilding in the garden, and there you were born on the stroke of noon.
“好吧,他们在花园里的外楼安了家,然后你在正午的时候出生了。

Your father came home to dinner, and you were there to greet him. —
你的父亲回家吃午饭,你就在那里迎接他。 —

He was so delighted that he was almostbeside himself, and nearly tired your mother out; —
他高兴得几乎要发疯,几乎把你妈妈累垮了; —

as if he did not realize, the stupid creature, what an ordeal it isto bring a child into the world. —
仿佛他没意识到,这个愚蠢的家伙,把孩子带到这个世界是多么痛苦的一件事。 —

He put me on his shoulder and carried me right across the yard to grandfather totell him the news that another grandson had appeared on the scene. —
他把我扔在肩膀上,穿过院子直接给祖父报喜说又多了一个孙子。 —

Even grandfather laughed : ‘What a demonyou are, Maxim !’ he said.
甚至祖父都笑了:‘你这个鬼精灵,Maxim!’他说。

“But your uncles did not like him. —
“但是你的叔叔们不喜欢他。 —

He did not drink wine, he was bold in his speech, and clever in all kinds oftricks for which he was bitterly paid out. —
他不喝酒,讲话大胆,而且在所有种类的把戏上都很聪明,这些把戏他都遭到了痛罚。 —

One day, for instance, during the great Fast, the wind sprang up, and allat once a terrible howling resounded through the house. —
有一天,比如说,在大斋期间,风刮起来,突然间全屋传来一阵可怕的嚎叫声。 —

We were all stupefied. What did it mean? —
我们都惊呆了。这是什么意思? —

Grandfatherhimself was terrified, ordered lamps to be lit all over the house, and ran about, shouting at the top of his voice:
祖父丝毫不怯,吩咐在屋子里点满灯,然后乱跑着高声叫喊:

  ‘We must offer up prayers together!’
‘我们必须一起做祷告!’

“And suddenly it stopped which frightened us still more. Then Uncle Jaakov guessed. —
“然后突然停止了,这更让我们害怕。这时,雅各伯叔叔猜到了。 —

‘This is Maxim’s doing, Iam sure!’ he said. —
‘这肯定是Maxim搞的!’他说。 —

And afterwards Maxim himself confessed that he had put bottles and glasses of various kindsin the dormer-window, and the wind blowing down the necks of the vessels produced the sounds, all by itself.
事后,马克西姆自己承认,他把各种瓶子和玻璃杯放在阁窗里,风吹进容器的咽喉发出声音,全都是自动生成的。

  ‘These jokes will land you in Siberia again if you don’t take care, Maxim,’ said grandfather menacingly.
“如果你不小心,这些玩笑会让你再次被送往西伯利亚,马克西姆,”爷爷威胁道。

“One year there was a very hard frost and wolves began to come into the towns from the fields; —
“有一年天气非常寒冷,狼开始从田地进入城镇; —

they killed thedogs, frightened the horses, ate up tipsy watchmen, and caused a great panic. —
他们杀死了狗,吓跑了马,吃掉了喝醉的守夜人,引起了极大的恐慌。 —

But your father took his gun, put onhis snow-shoes, and tracked down two wolves. —
但是你父亲拿起他的枪,穿上雪鞋,追踪了两只狼。 —

He skinned them, cleaned out their heads, and put in glass eyesmade quite a good job of it, in fact. Well, Uncle Michael went into the vestibule for something, and camerunning back at once, with his hair on end, his eyes rolling, gasping for breath, and unable to speak. —
他给它们剥皮,清理掉脑袋,放了玻璃眼睛,做得相当不错。嗯,米哈伊尔叔叔走进门厅拿东西,然后马上跑回来,头发竖起,眼睛翻着白,喘着气,说不出话来。 —

At length hewhispered : ‘Wolf!’ Every one seized anything which came to hand in the shape of a weapon, and rushed into thevestibule with lights; —
最终他轻声说:“狼!”每个人都抓起能用作武器的任何东西,拿着灯火冲进门厅; —

they looked and saw a wolf’s head sticking out from behind a raised platform. —
他们看到一个狼的头伸出从一处隆起的平台后面。 —

They beathim, they fired at him and what do you think he was? —
他们打他,他们朝他开火,你猜他是什么? —

They looked closer, and saw that it was nothing but a skinand an empty head, and its front feet were nailed to the platform. —
他们仔细看了看,发现那只是一张空的皮头,前脚钉在平台上。 —

This time grandfather was really very angrywith Maxim.
这次爷爷真的对马克西姆很生气。

“And then Jaakov must begin to join in these pranks. —
“然后雅科夫也开始加入这些恶作剧。 —

Maxim cut a head out of cardboard, and made a nose, eyes,and a mouth on it, glued tow on it to represent hair, and then went out into the street with Jaakov, and thrust thatdreadful face in at the windows; —
马克西姆用硬纸板做了一个头,画了鼻子、眼睛和嘴巴,粘贴了两根毛发,然后与雅科夫一起走到街上,把那张可怕的脸伸进窗户; —

and of course people were terrified and ran away screaming. —
当然,人们都被吓坏了,尖叫着逃跑。 —

Another night theywent out wrapped in sheets and frightened the priest, who rushed into a sentry-box; —
另一天晚上,他们用床单裹着身体,吓唬了神父,神父跑进了哨兵亭。 —

and the sentry, as muchfrightened as he was, called the police. —
而岗哨,尽管害怕得要命,还是打电话报了警。 —

And many other wanton tricks like this they played; and nothing wouldstop them. —
他们玩弄许多其他肆意胡闹的把戏,并且没有什么能阻止他们。 —

I begged them to give up their nonsense, and so did Varia, but it was no good; —
我劝他们放弃这种胡闹,Varia也劝过,但无济于事; —

they would not leaveoff. Maxim only laughed. —
他们不肯罢休。Maxim只是笑。 —

It made his sides ache with laughing, he said, to see how folk ran wild with terror, andbroke their heads because of his nonsense. —
他说自己笑得肋骨都疼了,看着人们因为他的胡闹而失去理智,摔伤自己的头。 —

‘Come and speak to them!’ he would say.
“来和他们说说话!”他会说。

“And it all came back on his own head and nearly caused his ruin. —
“结果,这一切都反过来卷到了他自己头上,几乎搞垮了他。 —

Your Uncle Michael, who was always withgrandfather, was easily offended and vindictively disposed, and he thought out a way to get rid of your father. —
总是跟祖父在一起的你的叔叔迈克尔易怒而恶毒,他想出了一个摆脱你父亲的办法。 —

Itwas in the beginning of winter and they were coming away from a friend’s house, four of them Maxim, youruncles, and a deacon, who was degraded afterwards for killing a cabman. —
那是初冬,他们刚离开一个朋友家,一行四人:Maxim,你的叔叔们,还有一个后来犯了杀车夫罪而被降级的执事。 —

They came out of Yamski Street andpersuaded Maxim to go round by the Dinkov Pond, pretending that they were going to skate. —
他们从亚姆斯基街出来,诱使Maxim绕过丁科夫池塘,假装要去滑冰。 —

They began to slideon the ice like boys and drew him on to an ice-hole, and then they pushed him in but I have told you about that.”
他们开始在冰上溜冰,像小孩一样,把他引到一个冰洞,然后把他推了进去,但我已经告诉过你了。”

  “Why are my uncles so bad?”
“为什么我的叔叔们这么坏?”

“They are not bad,” said grandmother calmly, taking a pinch of snuff. —
“他们不是坏人,”奶奶平静地说着,撩了一撮鼻烟。 —

“They are simply stupid. Mischka iscunning and stupid as well, but Jaakov is a good fellow, taking him all round. —
“他们只是愚蠢。米什卡既狡猾又愚蠢,但雅科夫是个全面看来还不错的家伙。 —

Well, they pushed him into thewater, but as he went down he clutched at the edge of the ice-hole, and they struck at his hands, crushing hisfingers with their heels. —
好吧,他们把他推进水里,但他下沉时抓住了冰洞的边缘,他们击打他的手,用脚践踏他的手指。 —

By good luck he was sober, while they were tipsy, and with God’s help he draggedhimself from under the ice, and kept himself face upwards in the middle of the hole, so that he could breathe; —
他很幸运,他清醒而他们喝醉了,借助上帝之力,他从冰下挣扎出来,保持着脸朝上,处于冰洞中央,这样他可以呼吸; —

butthey could not get hold of him, and after a time they left him, with his head surrounded by ice, to drown. —
但他们抓不到他,过了一会儿他们撤离了,留下他一个人,头被冰围绕着,溺死; —

But heclimbed out, and ran to the police-station it is quite close, you know, in the market-place. —
但他爬了出来,跑向了警察局,就在附近,你知道,就在市场中心; —

The Inspector on dutyknew him and all the family, and he asked : —
值班的督察认识他和他全家,他问道: —

‘How did this happen?’ ”
“这是怎么发生的?”

  Grandmother crossed herself and went on in a grateful tone :
奶奶捧出十字架,感恩地继续说道:

“God rest the soul of Maxim Savatyevitch ! —
“愿马克西姆·萨瓦捷耶维奇的灵魂得安息! —

He deserves it, for you must know that he hid the truth from thepolice. —
他理所当然受到这样的惩罚,因为你必须知道他向警方隐瞒了事实。 —

‘It was my own fault,’ he said. ‘I had been drinking, and I wandered on to the pond, and tumbled down anice-hole.’
“这是我的错,”他说。“我喝醉了酒,然后闯入了池塘,掉进了一个冰洞里。”

  “‘That ‘s not true,’ said the Inspector; ‘you ‘ve not been drinking.’
“‘这不是真的,’检察官说;‘你没有喝醉酒。’

“Well, the long and short of it was that they rubbed him with brandy, put dry clothes on him, wrapped him in asheepskin, and brought him home the Inspector himself and two others. —
于是他们用白兰地擦拭他,给他换上干衣服,裹上羊皮,将他带回家-由检察官本人和其他两人共同完成。 —

Jaaschka and Mischka had not returned ;they had gone to a tavern to celebrate the occasion. —
亚斯卡和米斯卡还没回来;他们去了一家酒馆庆祝这个场合。 —

Your mother and I looked at Maxim. He was quite unlikehimself; —
你的母亲和我看着马克西姆。他看起来完全不像自己; —

his face was livid, his fingers were bruised, and there was dry blood on them, and his curls seemed to beflecked with snow only it did not melt. —
他的脸色灰暗,手指淤青,上面有干血,他的卷发上似乎有雪花,只是不融化。 —

He had turned gray !
他已经变成了灰色!

  “Varvara screamed out ‘What have they done to you?’
瓦尔瓦拉尖叫着‘他们对你做了什么?’

  “The Inspector, scenting the truth, began to ask questions, and I felt in my heart that something very bad hadhappened.
检查官嗅出了事实,开始提问时,我心里觉得出事了。

“I put Varia off on to the Inspector, and I tried to get the truth out of Maxim quietly. —
“我把瓦莉娅交给了检察官,然后安静地试图从马克西姆那里了解真相。 —

‘What has happened?’
‘发生了什么事?’

  “‘The first thing you must do,’ he whispered, ‘is to lie in wait for Jaakov and Michael and tell them that they areto say that they parted from me at Yamski Street and went to Pokrovski Street, while I turned off at PryadilniLane. Don’t mix it up now, or we shall have trouble with the police.’
“‘首先你必须做的是,躲在那里等着雅科夫和迈克尔,并告诉他们要说他们在雅姆斯基街跟我分开,去了波科夫斯基街,而我则转向了普里亚迪尔尼巷。现在不要搞混,否则我们会和警方闹麻烦。’

“I went to grandfather and said : —
“我去找祖父,说道: —

‘Go and talk to the Inspector while I go and wait for our sons to tell them whatevil has befallen us.’
‘你去和检察官交谈,我去等我们的儿子们告诉他们我们碰到了什么麻烦。’

“He dressed himself, all of a tremble, muttering: —
“他战战兢兢地自己穿好衣服,嘀咕着: —

T knew how it would be! This is what I expected.’
‘我知道会是这样!这就是我预料中的情况。

“All lies ! He knew nothing of the kind. —
“这都是谎言!他根本不知道会发生这样的事。 —

Well, I met my children with my hands before my face. —
“我双手捂着脸,面对着我的孩子们。 —

Fear soberedMischka at once, and Jaashenka, the dear boy, let the cat out of the bag by babbling: —
害怕让米斯奇卡立刻冷静下来,亲爱的贾什卡透露了秘密: —

‘I don’t know anythingabout it. It is all Michael’s doing. —
‘我一点也不知道。都是迈克尔搞的。 —

He is the eldest.’
他是大哥。’

“However, we made it all right with the Inspector. He was a very nice gentleman. —
“不过,我们和检查员解决得很好。他是位非常和蔼的绅士。 —

‘Oh,’ he says, ‘but you hadbetter take care; —
‘噢,’他说,‘你最好小心; —

if anything bad happens in your house I shall know who is to blame. —
如果你家发生什么坏事,我会知道该怪谁。 —

’ And with that he wentaway.
’ 说完,他就走了。

“And grandfather went to Maxim and said: ‘Thank you! —
“然后祖父找到马克西姆,说:‘谢谢你! —

Any one else in your place would not have acted as youhave done that I know! —
其他人在你这个位置上不会像你这样行事,我知道这一点! —

And thank you, daughter, for bringing such a good man into your father’s house.’
谢谢你,女儿,把这样一个好人带到父亲的家里来。’

Grandfather could speak very nicely when he liked. —
祖父在愿意的时候能说得很体面。” —

It was after this that he began to be silly, and keep his heartshut up like a castle.
就在此之后,他开始变得愚蠢,把自己的心像一座城堡一样封闭起来。

“We three were left together. Maxim Savatyevitch began to cry, and became almost delirious. —
“我们三个被留在一起。马克西姆·萨瓦乔维奇开始哭泣,并且几乎神志不清。 —

‘Why have theydone this to me? What harm have I done them? Mama … —
‘他们为什么这样对待我?我有什么错?妈妈… —

why did they do it?’ He never called me ‘mamasha,’
他怎么会这样对我?他从来没有叫我‘妈妈啥’,

but always ‘mama,’ like a child … —
而总是‘妈妈’,像个孩子一样… —

and he was really a child in character. ‘Why … ?’ he asked.
他的性格真的像个孩子。‘为什么…?’他问道。

“I cried too what else was there for me to do? I was so sorry for my children. —
“我也哭了,还能做什么呢?我为我的孩子们感到如此难过。 —

Your mother tore all the buttons offher bodice, and sat there, all dishevelled as if she had been fighting, calling out: —
你母亲撕下了连衣裙上的所有纽扣,坐在那里,像打过架一样散乱不堪,大声说道: —

‘Let us go away, Maxim. Mybrothers are our enemies; —
‘让我们离开,马克西姆。我的兄弟是我们的敌人; —

I am afraid of them. Let us go away!’
我怕他们。让我们离开!’

“I tried to quieten her. ‘Don’t throw rubbish on the fire,’ I said. —
“我试图安抚她。‘不要往火里扔垃圾,’我说。 —

‘The house is full of smoke without that.’
‘屋子里已经满是烟了。’

“At that very moment that fool of a grandfather must go and send those two to beg forgiveness; —
“就在那个时候,那个愚蠢的爷爷竟然派那两个去求宽恕; —

she sprang atMischka and slapped his face. ‘There ‘s your forgiveness!’ she said. —
她冲向米什卡,打了他一巴掌。‘这就是你的宽恕!’她说。 —

And your father complained: ‘How couldyou do such a thing, brothers? —
而你父亲抱怨说:‘你们怎么能做出这样的事,兄弟们? —

You might have crippled me. What sort of a workman shall I be without hands’?’
你们弄得我几乎残废了。没有双手的我怎么能成为一个工匠’?

“However, they were reconciled. Your father was ailing for some time; —
“然而,他们和好了。你父亲有些病了一段时间; —

for seven weeks he tossed about, and gotno better, and he kept saying: Ekh! —
七个星期来他躺在床上翻来覆去,但没有好转,总是说:呃! —

Mama, let us go to another town; I am weary of this place.’
妈妈,让我们去另一个城镇吧;我受够了这个地方。

“Then he had a chance of going to Astrakhan; —
“后来他有机会去阿斯特拉罕; —

they expected the Emperor there in the summer, and your fatherwas entrusted with the building of a triumphal arch. —
他们期待着夏天皇帝会来那边,你父亲被委托筑造一个凯旋门。 —

They sailed on the first boat. It cut me to the heart to partfrom them, and he was grieved about it too, and kept saying to me that I ought to go with them to Astrakhan; —
他们乘坐了第一艘船。跟他们分别让我心如刀绞,他也很伤心,一直对我说我应该跟他们去阿斯特拉罕;” —

butVarvara rejoiced, and did not even try to hide her joy the hussy! —
不过,瓦尔瓦拉欣喜异常,甚至都不去掩饰她的喜悦,这个淫妇! —

And so they went away … and that is all!”
于是他们走了……就是这样!

  She drank a drop of vodka, took a pinch of snuff, and added, gazing out of the window at the dark blue sky:
她喝了一口伏特加,抽了一点鼻烟,然后望着窗外深蓝色的天空说道:

  “Yes, your father and I were not of the same blood, but in soul we were akin.”
是的,你父亲和我虽不同一家族,但我们的灵魂相通。

  Sometimes, while she was telling me this, grandfather came in with his face uplifted, sniffed the air with hissharp nose, and looking suspiciously at grandmother, listened to what she was saying and muttered :
有时,当她告诉我这些事情时,爷爷走了进来,仰着脸,用他尖尖的鼻子嗅了嗅空气,怀疑地望着奶奶,听着她说的话,喃喃说道:

  “That’s not true! That’s not true!”
这不对!这不对!

  Then he would ask, without warning:
然后他突然问道:

  “Lexei, has she been drinking brandy here?”
列克谢,她在这里喝白兰地了吗?

  “No.”
没有。

“That ‘s a lie, for I saw her with my own eyes ! —
那就是谎言,因为我亲眼看见了! —

” And he would go out in an undecided manner.
说着,他踌躇地走了出去。

  Grandmother would wink at him behind his back and utter some quaint saying:
奶奶在他背后对着他眨了眨眼,说了一句古怪的话:

  “Go along, Avdye, and don’t frighten the horses.”
去吧,阿夫迪,不要吓着马儿。

  One day, as he stood in the middle of the room, staring at the floor, he said softly:
有一天,他站在房间中央,盯着地板,轻声说道:

  “Mother?”
妈妈?

  “Aye?”
“是吗?”

  “You see what is going on?”
“你看到发生了什么事吗?”

  “Yes, I see!”
“是的,我看到了!”

  “What do you think of it?”
“你觉得怎么样?”

  “There’ll be a wedding, Father. Do you remember how you used to talk about a nobleman?”
“会有一场婚礼,父亲。你还记得你曾经谈论过一个贵族吗?”

  “Yes.”
“记得。”

  “Well here he is!”
“嗯,他就在这里!”

  “He ‘s got nothing.”
“他一无所有。”

  “That ‘s her business.”
“那是她的事。”

  Grandfather left the room, and conscious of a sense of uneasiness, I asked:
爷爷走出了房间,我感到一种不安,问道:

  “What were you talking about?”
“你们在聊什么?”

“You want to know everything,” she replied querulously, rubbing my feet. —
“你什么都想知道,”她抱怨地回答着,给我擦脚。 —

“If you know everything when youare young, there will be nothing to ask questions about when you get old. —
“年轻时什么都知道,老了就没问题可问了。” —

” And she laughed and shook her headat me.
她笑了笑,摇了摇头。

“Oh, grandfather! grandfather! you are nothing but a little piece of dust in the eyes of God. Lenka now don’t youtell any one this, but grandfather is absolutely ruined. —
“哦,爷爷!爷爷!在上帝眼中你只不过是一粒尘埃。莱卡,现在不要告诉任何人,但爷爷已经彻底破产了。” —

He lent a certain gentleman a large sum of money, and nowthe gentleman has gone bankrupt.”
他借给一个绅士一大笔钱,现在那位绅士破产了。”

Smiling, she fell into a reverie, and sat without speaking for a long time ; —
微笑着,她陷入了沉思,坐着很长一段时间没有说话; —

and her face became wrinkled, and sad,and gloomy.
她的脸变得皱巴巴,悲伤和阴郁。

  “What are you thinking about?”
“你在想什么?”

“I am thinking of something to tell you,” she answered, with a start. —
“我正在想要告诉你一些事情,”她惊讶地回答。 —

“Shall we have the story about Evstignia ?
“我们要讲述关于Evstignia的故事吗?

  Will that do? Well, here goes then.
好吧,那么就讲一下吧。

“A deacon there was called Evstignia,He thought there was no one more wise than he,Be he presbyter, or be he boyard ; —
“那里有一个名叫Evstignia的执事,他觉得没有比他更聪明的人,不论是长老,还是贵族; —

Not even a huntsman knew more than he.
没有比他更懂行的猎人。

Like a spike of spear grass he held himself,So proud, and taught his neighbors great and small ; —
他把自己当作野草一般高傲,教训邻居大小; —

He found fault with this, and grumbled at that ; —
他对这个挑剔,对那个抱怨; —

He glanced at a church ‘Not lofty enough !’
他看着一座教堂‘不够高大!’;

  He passed up a street ‘How narrow !’ he said.
他走过一条街‘多么狭窄!’,他说。

  An apple he plucked ‘It not red !’ he said.
他摘了一个苹果‘并不红!’,他说。

  The sun rose too soon for Evstignia!
太阳对Evstignia来说升起的太早了!

  In all the world there was nothing quite right!”
世界上没有一样东西是完全正确的!

Grandmother puffed out her cheeks, and rolled her eyes; —
奶奶鼓起了脸颊,翻着白眼; —

her kind face assumed a stupid, comical expression asshe went on in a lazy, dragging voice :
她慵懒地拖长声音,脸上露出滑稽愚蠢的表情,接着说道:

  “ ‘There is nothing I could not do myself,And do it much better, I think,’ he said,‘If I only had a little more time !’ ”
“‘没有什么事情不是我自己能做得更好的,’他说,‘只要我有更多时间!’”

  She was smilingly silent for a moment, and then she continued:
她微笑着沉默了一会儿,然后继续说道:

“To the deacon one night some devils came ; —
“有一天晚上,恶魔降临到执事面前; —

‘So you find it dull here, deacon?’ they said.
“‘你在这里感到无聊吗,执事?”他们说。

  ‘Well, come along with us, old fellow, to hell,You’ll have no fault to find with the fires there.’
“‘来吧,老伙计,跟我们一起去地狱吧,那里的火焰是你找不出什么错的地方的。”

  Ere the wise deacon could put on his hatThe devils seized hold of him with their pawsAnd, with titters and howls, they dragged him down.
“在聪明的执事能戴上帽子之前,恶魔们用爪子抓住了他,

  A devil on each of his shoulders sat,And there, in the flames of hell they set him.
“逗趣地嘲笑着,扯着他往下拽。

  ‘Is it all right, Evstignyeushka ?’
“‘怎么样,耶夫斯提格尼约什卡?’

  The deacon was roasting, brightly he burned,Kept himself up with his hands to his sides,Puffed out his lips as he scornfully said :
“执事在燃烧,他用手支撑着自己,嘴唇翕张,轻蔑地说道:

  ‘It ‘s dreadfully smoky down here in hell !’ ”
“‘这里的地狱烟雾太严重了!’”

  Concluding in an indolent, low-pitched, unctuous voice, she changed her expression and, laughing quietly,explained :
“以懒散、低沉、油腔滑调的声音结束,她改变了表情,静静笑着解释道:

“He would not give in that Evstignia, but stuck to his own opinion obstinately, like our grandfather. —
“他不肯服输,像我们的祖父那样固执地坚持自己的观点。” —

… That ‘senough now ; go to sleep ; —
“现在已经够了;去睡觉了; —

it is high time.”
是时候了。”

  Mother came up to the attic to see me very seldom, and she did not stay long, and spoke as if she were in a hurry.
妈妈很少来阁楼看我,也不停留很久,说话时好像很着急。

She was getting more beautiful, and was dressed better every day, but I was conscious of something differentabout her, as about grandmother; —
她变得越来越美丽,每天打扮得更好,但我意识到她和奶奶有些不同; —

I felt that there was something going on which was being kept from me and Itried to guess what it was.
我感觉有些事被瞒着我,我努力猜测着那是什么。

Grandmother’s stories interested me less and less, even the ones she told me about my father; —
奶奶讲的故事越来越不吸引我,即使是她讲我父亲的故事; —

and they did notsoothe my indefinable but daily increasing alarm.
而它们并没有平息我日益增长但却无法定义的恐惧。

  “Why is my father’s soul not at rest?” I asked grandmother.
“为什么我父亲的灵魂无法安息?”我问奶奶。

“How can I tell?” she replied, covering her eyes. —
“我怎么能知道呢?”她回答道,遮住了眼睛。 —

“That is God’s affair … it is supernatural . . —
“那是上帝的事……是超自然的…… —

. and hidden fromus.”
并且对我们隐藏。”

  At night, as I gazed sleeplessly through the dark blue windows at the stars floating so slowly across the sky, Imade up some sad story in my mind in which the chief place was occupied by my father, who was alwayswandering about alone, with a stick in his hand, and with a shaggy dog behind him.
晚上,当我睁着睡不着的眼睛透过深蓝色的窗户看着慢慢漂浮在天空中的星星时,我的脑海中编织出了一个悲伤的故事,在这个故事中,我的父亲占据着主要位置,他总是独自漫步,手中拿着一根手杖,身后跟着一只毛茸茸的狗。