EARLY one Saturday morning I made my way to Petrovna’s kitchen-garden to catch robins. —-
一个周六的清晨,我去了彼得罗夫娜的菜园抓知更鸟。 —-

I was there a longtime, because the pert red-breasts refused to go into the trap ; —-
我在那里呆了很长时间,因为这些红胸的小鸟拒绝进陷阱; —-

tantalizingly beautiful, they hopped playfully overthe silvery frozen snow, and flew on to the branches of the frost-covered bushes, scattering the blue snow-crystals all about. —-
它们引人入胜地在闪闪发光的冰雪上嬉戏着,飞到布满霜冰的灌木丛上,撒落了蓝色的雪花晶体。 —-

It was such a pretty sight that I forgot my vexation at my lack of success; —-
这么美丽的景色让我忘记了我没有成功的恼怒; —-

in fact, I was not avery keen sportsman, for I took more pleasure in the incidents of the chase than in its results, and my greatestdelight was to observe the ways of the birds and think about them. —-
事实上,我并不是一个很热衷于运动的人,我更享受于追逐过程中的各种趣事,我最大的乐趣是观察鸟类的行为并思考它们。 —-

I was quite happy sitting alone on the edge ofa snowy field listening to the birds chirping in the crystal stillness of the frosty day, when, faintly, in thedistance, I heard the fleeting sounds of the bells of a troika like the melancholy song of a skylark in the Russianwinter. —-
我静静坐在雪地边听着鸟儿在寒冷的冬日的晶莹静谧中啁啾,当我远远地听到了一阵马车铃声的飘渺音乐,就像俄罗斯冬日里云雀的哀歌。 —-

I was benumbed by sitting in the snow, and I felt that my ears were frost-bitten, so I gathered up the trapand the cages, climbed over the wall into grandfather’s garden, and made my way to the house.
我坐在雪地里已经冻僵了,感觉耳朵都冻僵了,于是我收起陷阱和笼子,翻过墙爬进祖父的花园,回到了家里。

  The gate leading to the street was open, and a man of colossal proportions was leading three steaming horses,harnessed to a large, closed sledge, out of the yard, whistling merrily the while. My heart leaped.
通往街道的大门敞开着,一个体格魁梧的人正牵引着三匹喷着热气的马,它们套在一辆大而封闭的雪橇上,一边欢快地吹着口哨。我的心跳加快了。

  “Whom have you brought here?”
“你带了谁来这里?”

  He turned and looked at me from under his arms, and jumped on to the driver’s seat before he replied:
他转身从胳膊下看了我一眼,然后跳上了驾驶座,才回答说:

  “The priest.”
“牧师。”

  But I was not convinced ; and if it was the priest, he must have come to see one of the lodgers.
但我并不相信;如果是牧师,他一定是来看其中一位房客的。

  “Gee-up !” cried the driver, and he whistled gaily as he slashed at the horses with his reins.
“走吧!”司机大声喊道,一边挥动缰绳,一边愉快地吹着口哨。

The horses tore across the fields, and I stood looking after them; then I closed the gate. —-
马匹飞奔过田野,而我站在那里望着它们;然后我关上了大门。 —-

The first thing I heard as Ientered the empty kitchen was my mother’s energetic voice in the adjoining room, saying very distinctly :
走进空无一人的厨房,我第一时间就听到母亲有力的声音从隔壁房间清晰地说道:

  “What is the matter now? Do you want to kill me?’
“现在怎么了?你是想要害死我吗?”

Without taking off my outdoor clothes, I threw down the cages and ran into the vestibule, where I collided withgrandfather; —-
没有脱去室外的衣服,我放下笼子,跑进了门厅,撞上了爷爷; —-

he seized me by the shoulder, looked into my face with wild eyes, and swallowing with difficulty,said hoarsely :
他抓住我的肩膀,狂野地看着我,费力地吞咽着说道:

“Your mother has come back … go to her . . . wait … ! —-
“你妈妈回来了…去见她…等着…!” —-

” He shook me so hard that I was nearly taken off my feet,and reeled against the door of the room. —-
他用力地摇晃着我,我几乎被摇倒,摇摇欲坠地靠在房门上。 —-

“Goon! . . Go . !”
“去吧! 快!”

I knocked at the door, which was protected by felt and oilcloth, but it was some time before my hand, benumbedwith cold, and trembling with nervousness, found the latch; —-
我敲了门,门上有毛毡和油布的保护,但我因寒冷和紧张而双手发凉、颤抖,好一会儿才找到门闩。 —-

and when at length I softly entered, I halted on thethreshold, dazed and bewildered.
当我轻轻走进房间时,我停在门槛上,感到晕眩和困惑。

“Here he is!” said mother. “Lord! how big he is grown. Why, don’t you know me? . . . —-
“他来了!”母亲说。“天啊!他长得多大啊。你不认识我了吗?…… —-

What a way you ‘vedressed him ! . . . And, yes, his ears are going white! —-
你给他穿得多么讲究啊!……而且,对,他的耳朵都花白了! —-

Make haste, Mama, and get some goose-grease.”
快点,妈妈,给他弄点鹅油。”

She stood in the middle of the room, bending over me as she took off my outdoor clothes, and turning me aboutas if I were nothing more than a ball; —-
她站在房间中间,褪去我的外套,弯腰弯着腰像我是个球一样转来转去; —-

her massive figure was clothed in a warm, soft, beautiful dress, as full as aman’s cloak, which was fastened by black buttons, running obliquely from the shoulder to the hem of the skirt. —-
她那庞大的身形穿着一件保暖、柔软而漂亮的裙装,像一个男人的斗篷,由黑扣子斜斜地从肩膀一直系到裙摆。 —-

Ihad never seen anything like it before.
我以前从未见过类似的衣服。

Her face seemed smaller than it used to be, and her eyes larger and more sunken; —-
她的脸似乎比以前小了,眼睛却更加大且凹陷; —-

while her hair seemed to be of adeeper gold. —-
而她的头发好像更深的金色。 —-

As she undressed me, she threw the garments across the threshold, her red lips curling in disgust,and all the time her voice rang out:
她一边给我脱衣服,一边把衣物扔过门槛,她那红唇褶皱,露出厌恶之色,一直嚷嚷着:

“Why don’t you speak”? Aren’t you glad to see me”? —-
“为什么不说话呢?你见到我高兴吗?” —-

Phoo ! what a dirty shirt. . . .”
噗!多脏的衬衫……”

Then she rubbed my ears with goose-grease, which hurt; —-
然后她用鹅油搽我的耳朵,虽然有点痛; —-

but such a fragrant, pleasant odor came from her whileshe was doing it, that the pain seemed less than usual.
但她在那时散发出的芬芳和愉悦的气味,让疼痛似乎不那么难以忍受。

  I pressed close to her, looking up into her eyes, too moved to speak, and through her words I could heargrandmother’s low, unhappy voice:
我紧紧贴近她,抬头望着她的眼睛,激动得说不出话来,透过她的话语,我听到了奶奶低沉、不快的声音:

“He is so self-willed … he has got quite out of hand. —-
“他太固执了……他已经完全失控了。 —-

He is not afraid of grandfather, even. . . . Oh, Varia! . . .
他连爷爷都不怕……哦,瓦利亚!……

  Varia!”
  瓦利亚!”

  “Don’t whine, Mother, for goodness’ sake; it doesn’t make things any better.”
  “别唠叨,妈妈,拜托;这样做不会让事情变得更好。”

  Everything looked small and pitiful and old beside mother. I felt old too, as old as grandfather.
  母亲身旁的一切都看起来又小又可怜又陈旧。在母亲身边,我也感到很老,和爷爷一样老。

  Pressing me to her knees, and smoothing my hair with her warm, heavy hand, she said:
  她把我拉到她膝盖上,用那温暖而沉重的手抚摸着我的头发,说:

“He wants some one strict over him. And it is time he went to school. —-
“他需要一个严厉的人监督。是时候让他去上学了。 —-

. . . You will like to learn lessons, won’tyou?”
……你会喜欢学习功课的,对吧?”

  “I ‘ve learned all I want to know.”
  “我学到我想知道的东西了。”

“You will have to learn a little more. . . . Why! How strong you ‘ve grown ! —-
“你还得学习一点……哎呀!你长得好壮啊! —-

” And she laughed heartily in herdeep contralto tones as she played with me.
” 她用低沉的男中音笑得开怀,边玩弄着我。

  When grandfather came in, pale as ashes, with blood-shot eyes, and bristling with rage, she put me from her andasked in a loud voice:
  爷爷气得脸色苍白,眼睛里带着血丝,怒气冲冲地走进来时,她把我推开,高声问道:

  “Well, what have you settled, Father? Am I to go?”
  “那么,父亲,你决定好了吗?我得走吗?”

  He stood at the window scraping the ice off the panes with his finger-nails, and remained silent for a long while.
  他站在窗前用指甲刮冰,在沉默了很久之后才开口。

  The situation was strained and painful, and, as was usual with me in such moments of tension, my body felt as ifit were all eyes and ears, and something seemed to swell within my breast, causing an in tense desire to scream.
  气氛紧张而痛苦,正如我在那种时刻常有的感觉,我的身体感觉好像全是眼睛和耳朵,一种膨胀的感觉让我内心充满了尖叫的渴望。

  “Lexei, leave the room!” said grandfather roughly.
“列克走出去!”爷爷粗声粗气地说道。

“Why?” asked mother, drawing me to her again. “You shall not go away from this place. —-
“为什么?”母亲问道,将我再次拉向她。“你不可以离开这个地方。 —-

I forbid it!” Motherstood up, gliding up the room, just like a rosy cloud, and placed herself behind grandfather.
我禁止!”母亲站起来,像一朵玫瑰色的云一样,滑向房间,站在爷爷身后。

  “Listen to me, Papasha ”
“听我说,爸爸”

  He turned upon her, shrieking “Shut up !”
他转身对她大喊:“闭嘴!”

  “I won’t have you shouting at me,” said mother coolly.
“我可不想听到你对我大喊大叫,”母亲冷静地说。

  Grandmother rose from the couch, raising her finger admonishingly.
奶奶从沙发上站起来,用手指示意地说。

  “Now, Varvara!”
“现在,瓦尔瓦拉!”

  And grandfather sat down, muttering:
爷爷坐下来,嘟囔道:

  “Wait a bit! I want to know who ? Eh? Who was it? … How did it happen?”
“等一下!我想知道是谁?嗯?是谁?…怎么回事?”

  And suddenly he roared out in a voice which did not seem to belong to him :
突然间,他用一种似乎不属于自己的声音吼道:

  “You have brought shame upon me, Varka!”
“你给我丢脸了,瓦卡!”

“Go out of the room!” grandmother said to me; —-
“走出去!”奶奶对我说; —-

and I went into the kitchen, feeling as if I were being suffocated,climbed on to the stove, and stayed there a long time listening to their conversation, which was audible throughthe partition. —-
我走进了厨房,感觉仿佛在被窒息,爬上炉灶,靠在那里很久,听着他们透过隔断传来的对话。 —-

They either all talked at once, interrupting one another, or else fell into a long silence as if they hadfallen asleep. —-
他们要么同时交谈,打断对方,要么陷入长时间的沉默,仿佛已经睡着了。 —-

The subject of their conversation was a baby, lately bom to my mother and given into some one’skeeping; —-
他们谈话的主题是一个婴儿,最近出生在我母亲手中并交给别人照顾; —-

but I could not understand whether grandfather was angry with mother for giving birth to a childwithout asking his permission, or for not bringing the child to him.
但我无法理解祖父是否因为母亲未经他允许就生子,还是因为未把孩子带给他而生气。

He came into the kitchen later, looking dishevelled; —-
后来他走进厨房,看起来凌乱不堪; —-

his face was livid, and he seemed very tired. —-
他的脸色发灰,看起来非常疲倦。 —-

With him camegrandmother, wiping the tears from her cheeks with the basque of her blouse. —-
随着他而来的是奶奶,用衬衫的下摆擦拭着脸颊上的泪水。 —-

He sat down on a bench, doubledup, resting his hands on it, tremulously biting his pale lips ; —-
他坐在长凳上,蜷缩着身体,双手放在上面,颤抖着咬着苍白的嘴唇; —-

and she knelt down in front of him, and said quietlybut with great earnestness:
她跪在他面前,安静地但非常认真地说道:

“Father, forgive her ! For Christ’s sake forgive her ! —-
“父亲,请原谅她!为基督的缘故,请原谅她! —-

You can’t get rid of her in this manner. —-
你不能这样摆脱她。 —-

Do you think thatsuch things don’t happen amongst the gentry, and in merchants’ families’? —-
你以为这样的事情在绅士之间不会发生,在商人家庭中不会发生吗? —-

You know what women are. Now,forgive her ! —-
你知道女人们是怎样的。现在,请原谅她! —-

No one is perfect, you know.”
没有人是完美的,你知道的。”

Grandfather leaned back against the wall and looked into her face; —-
祖父靠在墙上,看着她的脸; —-

then he growled, with a bitter laugh whichwas almost a sob :
然后他嘟哝道,带有几乎是抽泣声的苦笑:

  “Well what next”? Who wouldn’t you forgive?
“嗯,接下来呢?还有谁不是你不原谅的?”。

  I wonder! If you had your way every one would be forgiven. . . . Ugh! You!”
我在想!如果你愿意,每个人都可以被原谅……唉!你这个人!

  And bending over her he seized her by the shoulders and shook her, and said, speaking in a rapid whisper:
弯下腰来,他抓住她的肩膀摇了摇她,低声说道:

“But, by God, you needn’t worry yourself. You will find no forgiveness in me. —-
“但是,天哪,你不必担心。在我这里,你不会得到宽恕。 —-

Here we are almost in our gravesovertaken by punishment in our last days . . . —-
我们现在几乎到了坟墓边,受到了惩罚…… —-

there is neither rest nor happiness for us . . . —-
对我们来说,既没有休息,也没有幸福…… —-

nor will there be. . . .
以及以后也不会有……

And what is more . . . mark my words! . —-
而且……记住我的话! —-

.. we shall be beggars before we ‘re done beggars !”
……我们结束时会成为乞丐,乞丐!”

  Grandmother took his hand, and sitting beside him laughed gently as she said:
奶奶握住他的手,坐在他身旁,轻轻地笑着说:

“Oh, you poor thing! So you are afraid of being a beggar. —-
“哦,可怜的你!原来你害怕变成乞丐。 —-

Well, and suppose we do become beggars’? —-
那么,假设我们真的成为了乞丐呢? —-

All youwill have to do is to stay at home while I go out begging. . . . —-
你所要做的就是呆在家里,我出去乞讨…… —-

They’ll give to me, never fear ! . . . We shall haveplenty; —-
他们肯定会给我的,别担心!……我们会有很多东西; —-

so you can throw that trouble aside.”
所以你可以放下这个烦恼。”

He suddenly burst out laughing, moving his head about just like a goat; —-
他突然哈哈大笑起来,像一只山羊一样摇着头。 —-

and seizing grandmother round the neck,pressed her to him, looking small and crumpled beside her.
他把奶奶紧紧搂住,身材瘦小、皱巴巴的,顶在她身边看着她。

“Oh, you fool !” he cried. “You blessed fool ! . . . You are all that I ‘ve got now ! —-
“哦,你这个傻瓜!”他大声喊道。“你这个可爱的傻瓜!. . . 你现在是我唯一的依靠! —-

. . . You don’t worry aboutanything because you don’t understand. —-
“. . . 你不用担心任何事情,因为你不明白。 —-

But you must look back a little . . . and remember how you and I workedfor them . . . —-
“但你必须回顾一下...回忆一下你和我为他们所做的一切. . . —-

how I sinned for their sakes . . . yet, in spite of all that, now ”
“为了他们,我犯了罪...然而,尽管如此,现在”

Here I could contain myself no longer; —-
这时我再也按捺不住了; —-

my tears would not be restrained, and I jumped down off the stove andflew to them, sobbing with joy because they were talking to each other in this wonderfully friendly fashion, andbecause I was sorry for them, and because mother had come, and because they took me to them, tears and all,and embraced me, and hugged me, and wept over me; —-
激动地流泪出来,从火炉上跳了下来,飞奔向他们,因为他们以这种友好的方式对话,因为我为他们感到难过,因为母亲回来了,因为他们把我拥抱在怀里,抱着我哭泣; —-

but grandfather whispered to me:
但是祖父对我低声说道:

“So you are here, you little demon! —-
“原来你在这里,小妖怪! —-

Well, your mother ‘s come back, and I suppose you will always be with hernow. —-
“好吧,你妈妈回来了,我想你现在会一直跟她在一起了。 —-

The poor old devil of a grandfather can go, eh”? —-
“可怜的老家伙祖父就可以走了,对吧”? —-

And grandmother, who has spoiled you so . —-
“奶奶,宠坏了你这个小家伙...她也可以走了…对吧?呃,呸你!. . —-

.. she can goto … eh? Ugh you! . .
他把我们推开,大声愤怒地站了起来说:

  He put us away from him and stood up as he said in a loud, angry tone:
“他们都离开我们,都转身离开我们. . .

“They are all leaving us all turning away from us. . . . —-
“但愿你们能够理解。”. —-

Well, call her in. What are you waiting for? Make haste !”
好啦,把她叫进来。你在等什么?赶快行动起来!

  Grandmother went out of the kitchen, and he went and stood in the corner, with bowed head.
奶奶走出厨房,他站到角落里,低着头。

“All-merciful God!” he began. “Well . . . —-
“慈悲的上帝!”他开始说。“呵…” —-

Thou seest how it is with us !” And he beat his breast with his fist.
“你看看我们的处境!”他用拳头敲打着自己的胸膛。

I did not like it when he did this; —-
当他这样做的时候我并不喜欢; —-

in fact the way he spoke to God always disgusted me, because he seemed to bevaunting himself before his Maker.
事实上,他向上帝说话的方式总是让我感到恶心,因为他似乎在向造物主炫耀自己。

When mother came in her red dress lighted up the kitchen, and as she sat down by the table, with grandfather andgrandmother one on each side of her, her wide sleeves fell against their shoulders. —-
妈妈穿着红裙子走进厨房,当她坐在桌子旁边时,祖父和奶奶分别坐在她的两侧,她的宽袖子碰到他们的肩膀。 —-

She related something to themquietly and gravely, to which they listened in silence, and without attempting to interrupt her, just as if they werechildren and she were their mother.
她认真庄重地向他们讲述着一些事情,他们默默地倾听着,没有打断她,就好像他们是孩子,她是他们的母亲。

  Worn out by excitement, I fell fast asleep on the couch.
兴奋之余,我在沙发上迅速入睡了。

In the evening the old people went to vespers, dressed in their best. —-
晚上,老人们身着最好的衣服去参加晚祷。 —-

Grandmother gave a merry wink in thedirection of grandfather, who was resplendent in the uniform he wore as head of the Guild, with a racoon pelisseover it, and his stomach sticking out importantly; —-
祖母朝祖父眨了下眼,祖父身穿作为公会负责人的制服,外面套着一件貂皮大氅,他的肚子显得很重要; —-

and as she winked she observed to mother :
她眨眼间对妈妈说:

“Just look at father! Isn’t he grand. . —-
“看看爸爸!他真是英俊。” —-

.. As spruce as a little goat.” And mother laughed gaily.
她笑得开心。

  When I was left alone with her in her room, she sat on the couch, with her feet curled under her, and pointing tothe place beside her, she said :
当我与她独处在她的房间里时,她坐在沙发上,双脚蜷缩在下面,并指向她旁边的位置,她说:

  “Come and sit here. Now, tell me how do you like living here? Not much, eh?”
“过来坐这里。告诉我你喜欢住在这里吗?不太喜欢,对吧?”

  How did I like it?
我喜欢吗?

  “I don’t know.”
“我不知道。”

  “Grandfather beats you, does he?”
“祖父会打你吗?”

  “Not so much now.”
“现在不太会。”

“Oh? . . . Well, now, you tell me all about it . . . —-
“哦?…那么,你告诉我所有的事情… —-

tell me whatever you like . . . well ?”
告诉我任何你想说的…好吗?”

As I did not want to speak about grandfather, I told her about the kind man who used to live in that room, whomno one liked, and who was turned out by grandfather. —-
我不想谈及祖父,于是告诉她关于那间房里曾住过的一个好人,没人喜欢他,后来被祖父赶走的事情。 —-

I could see that she did not like this story as she said:
“噢,还有什么?”

  ‘‘Well, and what else?”
我告诉她关于三个男孩,以及上校如何把我赶出他的院子;

I told her about the three boys, and how the Colonel had driven me out of his yard ; —-
当她听着时,她抓住我的手眼神变得紧张。 —-

and her hold upon metightened as she listened.
“胡说八道!”她气冲冲地说着,安静了一会儿,盯着地板看。

  “What nonsense !” she exclaimed with flashing eyes, and was silent a minute, gazing on the floor.
“你祖父为什么生你的气?”我问。

  “Why was grandfather angry with you?” I asked.
“因为我做错了事,在他看来。”

  “Because I have done wrong, according to him.”
“依照他的看法,我做错了事。”

  “In not bringing that baby here ?”
“不把那个婴儿带到这里来?”

She started violently, frowning, and biting her lips ; —-
她突然愤怒地皱着眉头,咬着嘴唇; —-

then she burst into a laugh and pressed me more closely toher, as she said:
然后她突然笑了起来,把我拉得更紧,说道:

“Oh, you little monster ! Now, you are to hold your tongue about that, do you hear? —-
“哦,你这个小怪物!现在,你要闭嘴,听见了吗? —-

Never speak about it forgetyou ever heard it, in fact.”
永远不要提起它,甚至忘记你听到过它,事实上。”

And she spoke to me quietly and sternly for some time; —-
她对我安静而严厉地说了一些时间; —-

but I did not understand what she said, and presently shestood up and began to pace the room, strumming on her chin with her fingers, and alternately raising anddepressing her thick eyebrows.
但我听不懂她说的话,不一会儿她站起来开始在房间里踱步,用手指弹着下巴,时而抬起时而垂下她浓密的眉毛。

A guttering tallow candle was burning on the table, and was reflected in the blank face of the mirror; —-
一支烛芯在桌上燃烧着,映在镜子的空白面上; —-

murkyshadows crept along the floor; a lamp burned before the icon in the corner; —-
昏暗的影子在地板上游动;一个灯在角落的圣像前燃烧着; —-

and the ice-clad windows weresilvered by moonlight. —-
结冰的窗户在月光下泛着银光。 —-

Mother looked about her as if she were seeking something on the bare walls or on theceiling.
母亲四处张望,仿佛在墙上或天花板上寻找什么。

  “What time do you go to bed?”
“你什么时候去睡觉?”

  “Let me stay a little longer.”
“让我再呆一会儿。”

  “Besides, you have had some sleep today,” she reminded herself.
“而且,你今天已经睡过一会儿了,”她提醒自己。

  “Do you want to go away?” I asked her.
“你想走吗?”我问她。

“Where to?” she exclaimed, in a surprised tone; —-
“去哪里?”她惊讶地喊道; —-

and raising my head she gazed for such a long time at my facethat tears came into my eyes.
抬起头来,她长时间地凝视着我的脸,以至于我眼睛里噙满了泪水。

  “What is the matter with you?” she asked.
“你怎么了?”她问道。

  “My neck aches.”
“我的脖子疼。”

  My heart was aching too, for I had suddenly realized that she would not remain in our house, but would go awayagain.
我的心也在疼,因为我突然意识到她不会留在我们家,而会离去。

“You are getting like your father,” she observed, kicking a mat aside. —-
“你越来越像你父亲了,”她观察着,踢开了一块垫子。 —-

“Has grandmother told you anything abouthim?”
“外婆有没有告诉你关于他的事情?”

  “Yes.”
“有。”

  “She loved Maxim very much very much indeed; and he loved her ”
“她非常爱Maxim,非常非常爱他。”

  “I know.”
“我知道。”

Mother looked at the candle and frowned; —-
母亲看着蜡烛皱起了眉头; —-

then she extinguished it, saying: “That ‘s better!”
然后她把它熄灭,说:“这样好多了!”

Yes, it made the atmosphere fresher and clearer, and the dark, murky shadows disappeared; —-
是的,这让空气变得更清新更清澈,黑暗、昏暗的阴影消失了; —-

bright blue patchesof light lay on the floor, and golden crystals shone on the window-panes.
明亮的蓝色光斑落在地板上,窗玻璃上闪烁着金色的水晶。

  “But where have you lived all this time?”
“但你这段时间都住在哪里?”

She mentioned several towns, as if she were trying to remember something which she had forgotten long ago; —-
她提到了几个城镇,仿佛她试图回忆起很久以前忘记的事情; —-

and all the time she moved noiselessly round the room, like a hawk.
而她一直无声地在房间里走动,像一只鹰一样。

  “Where did you get that dress?”
“那件衣服你哪里弄来的?”

  “I made it myself. I make all my own clothes.”
“是我自己做的。我所有的衣服都是我自己做的。”

I liked to think that she was different from others, but I was sorry that she so rarely spoke; —-
我喜欢认为她与众不同,但我很遗憾她很少开口说话; —-

in fact, unless I askedquestions, she did not open her mouth.
事实上,除非我问问题,她不会张口。

Presently she came and sat beside me again on the couch; —-
不久她再次坐到我身边的长椅上; —-

and there we stayed without speaking, pressing closeto each other, until the old people returned, smelling of wax and incense, with a solemn quietness and gentlenessin their manner.
我们两人静静地坐着,不说话,紧紧靠在一起,直到老人回来,身上闻到蜡和乳香的味道,举止庄严而温和。

  We supped as on holidays, ceremoniously, exchanging very few words, and uttering those as if we were afraid ofwaking an extremely light sleeper.
我们象在节日一样用餐,庄重地,几乎不交谈,说话的时候声音很小,仿佛我们害怕唤醒一个非常轻的睡者。

Almost at once my mother energetically undertook the task of giving me Russian lessons. —-
我妈妈立刻积极地开始给我上俄语课。 —-

She bought somebooks, from one of which “Kindred Words” I acquired the art of reading Russian characters in a few days; —-
她买了一些书,其中一本是《亲属词汇》,通过它我在几天内掌握了阅读俄文字符的技巧; —-

butthen my mother must set me to learn poetry by heart to our mutual vexation.
但是接着我妈妈又叫我背诵诗歌,让我们俩都很苦恼。

  The verses ran :
诗句如下:

  “Bolshaia doroga, priamaia doroga Prostora ne malo beresh twi ou Boga Tebia ne rovniali topor ee lopataMiagka twi kopitou ee pwiliu bogata.”
“Bolshaia doroga, priamaia doroga Prostora ne malo beresh twi ou Boga Tebia ne rovniali topor ee lopataMiagka twi kopitou ee pwiliu bogata.”

  But I read “prostovo” for “prostora,” and “roubili” for “rovniali,” and “kopita” for “kopitou.”
但我读成“prostovo”而不是“prostora”,“roubili”而不是“rovniali”,“kopita”而不是“kopitou”。

“Now, think a moment,” said mother. —-
“现在,你好好想一下。”母亲说。 —-

“How could it be ‘prostovo,’ you little wretch? . . . —-
“你怎么可能说‘prostovo’呢,你这个小淘气鬼?. . . —-

Tro sto ra’-; now doyou understand?”
‘Tro sto ra’-; 你现在明白了吗?”

  I did understand, but all the same I read “pros-tovo,” to my own astonishment as much as hers.
  我明白了,但是尽管如此,我居然读出了“pros-tovo”,令我自己和她都感到惊讶。

She said angrily that I was senseless and obstinate. —-
她生气地说我愚蠢又固执。 —-

This made bitter hearing, for I was honestly trying toremember the cursed verses, and I could repeat them in my own mind without a mistake, but directly I tried tosay them aloud they went wrong. —-
这让我很难过,因为我真的在努力记住那些可恶的诗句,我能在脑海里毫无差错地重复它们,但一旦试图大声念出来,它们就混乱了。 —-

I loathed the elusive lines, and began to mix the verses up on purpose, puttingall the words which sounded alike together anyhow. —-
我厌恶这些难以捉摸的诗句,开始故意搞乱这些诗句,随意把所有发音相似的词混在一起。 —-

I was delighted when, under the spellI placed upon them, the verses emerged absolutely meaningless.
当我对它们下了咒语后,那些诗句变得毫无意义,我感到很高兴。

But this amusement did not go for long unpunished. —-
但这种娱乐并没有长时间不受惩罚。 —-

One day, after a very successful lesson, when mother askedme if I had learned my poetry, I gabbled almost involuntarily :
有一天,在一节非常成功的课程之后,当母亲问我是否学会了我的诗歌时,我几乎是不经意间喋喋不休:

  “Doroga, dvouroga, tvorog, nedoroga, Kopwita, popwito, korwito ”
  “Doroga, dvouroga, tvorog, nedoroga, Kopwita, popwito, korwito ”

  I recollected myself too late. Mother rose to her feet, and resting her hands on the table, asked in very distincttones:
  我回过神来时已经太晚。母亲站起身来,双手放在桌子上,以非常明确的语气问道:

  “What is that you are saying?”
  “你在说什么?”

  “I don’t know,” I replied dully.
  “我不知道,”我沉闷地回答。

  “Oh, you know well enough!”
  “哦,你心里很清楚!”

  “It was just something ”
这只是某事。

  “Something what?”
“某事什么?”

  “Something funny.”
“某件有趣的事情。”

  “Go into the corner.”
“去角落。”

  “Why?”
“为什么?”

  “Go into the corner,” she repeated quietly, but her aspect was threatening.
“去角落。”她轻声重复,但她的神情很威胁。

  “Which corner?”
“哪个角落?”

Without replying, she gazed so fixedly at my face that I began to feel quite flustered, for I did not understandwhat she wanted me to do. —-
没有回答,她盯着我的脸,我开始感到很慌张,因为我不明白她想让我做什么。 —-

In one corner, under the icon, stood a small table on which was a vase containingscented dried grass and some flowers; —-
一角下,有一张小桌子,桌子上有一瓶装着香味干草和一些花的花瓶; —-

in another stood a covered trunk. The bed occupied the third, and therewas no fourth, because the door came close up to the wall.
另一角放着一个盖着的箱子。床占据了第三个角,因为门靠近墙壁,没有第四个角。

  “I don’t know what you mean,” I said, despairing of being able to understand her.
“我不知道你在说什么”,我绝望地说。

  She relaxed slightly, and wiped her forehead and her cheeks in silence ; then she asked :
她稍微放松了一下,无声地擦拭着额头和脸颊;然后她问道:

  “Didn’t grandfather put you in the corner?”
“爷爷把你放过角落吗?”

  “When?”
“什么时候?”

  “Never mind when! Has he ever done so?” she cried, striking the table twice with her hand.
“不管什么时候!他有这样做过吗?”她用手在桌子上敲了两下。

  “No at least I don’t remember it.”
“不,至少我不记得了。”

  She sighed. “Phew! Come here!”
她叹了口气。“哎呀!过来!”

  I went to her, saying: “Why are you so angry with me?”
我走向她,说:“你为什么这么生我的气?”

  “Because you made a muddle of that poetry on purpose.”
“因为你故意把那首诗搞糟了。”

  I explained as well as I was able that I could remember it word for word with my eyes shut, but that if I tried tosay it the words seemed to change.
我尽力解释,我可以闭着眼睛倒背如流地记住每个字,但一说出来,词语似乎就会变化。

  “Are you sure you are not making that up?”
“你确定你没有捏造吗?”

I answered that I was quite sure; but on second thoughts I was not so sure, and I suddenly repeated the versesquite correctly, to my own utter astonishment and confusion. —-
我回答说我确定;但再想想,我不那么确定,突然间我完全正确地重复了那几句诗,我自己也感到惊讶和困惑。 —-

I stood before my mother burning with shame ; —-
我站在母亲面前,羞愧难当; —-

myface seemed to be swelling, my tingling ears to be filled with blood, and unpleasant noises surged through myhead. —-
我的脸似乎在发烫,耳朵发热充血,不愉快的声音在我脑中涌动。 —-

I saw her face through my tears, dark with vexation, as she bit her lips and frowned.
我透过眼泪看到她的脸,愤怒显现,她咬着嘴唇皱着眉头。

“What is the meaning of this?” she asked in a voice which did not seem to belong to her. —-
“这是什么意思?”她用一种不像她的声音问道。 —-

“So you did make itup?”
“所以你还是编造了?”

  “I don’t know. I didn’t mean to!”
“我不知道。我不是故意的!”

  “You are very difficult,” she said, letting her head droop. “Run away!”
“你真难懂。”她低下头说。“走开!”

She began to insist on my learning still more poetry, but my memory seemed to grow less capable every day ofretaining the smooth, flowing lines, while my insane desire to alter or mutilate the verses grew stronger and moremalevolent in proportion. —-
她开始坚持让我学更多的诗,但是我的记忆力似乎每天都在减弱,无法记住那些流畅的诗句,而我那种疯狂地想要修改或毁坏诗句的欲望也与日俱增,变得更加恶毒。 —-

I even substituted different words, by which I somewhat surprised myself, for a wholeseries of words which had nothing to do with the subject would appear and get mixed up with the correct wordsout of the book. —-
我甚至用不同的词替换了一整串与主题无关的词,让我自己也感到惊讶,因为这些词会和书中的正确词混在一起。 —-

Very often a whole line of the verse would seem to be obliterated, and no matter howconscientiously I tried, I could not get it back into my mind’s eye. —-
很多时候,整行诗似乎被抹去了,无论我多么认真地努力,都无法让它重新出现在脑海中。 —-

That pathetic poem of Prince Biazemskov (Ithink it was his) caused me a great deal of trouble :
那首可悲的彼亚捷夫亲王的诗(我想是他的)给我带来了很多麻烦:

  ‘At eventide and early mornThe old man, widow and orphanFor Christ’s sake ask for help from man.
“在黄昏和清晨,老人、寡妇和孤儿为基督的缘故向人求助。

  But the last line:
但最后一句:

  At windows beg, with air forlorn.
于窗前恳求,神情忧郁。

  I always rendered correctly. Mother, unable to make anything of me, recounted my exploits to grandfather, whosaid in an ominous tone:
我总是读对了。母亲弄不清楚我的情况,把我的壮举告诉了祖父,他以一种不详的语气说:

“It is all put on ! He has a splendid memory. He learned the prayers by heart with me. . . . —-
“这全都是假的!他记忆力很好。他和我一起背诵祈祷文…… —-

He is making believe,that ‘s all. His memory is good enough. . . . —-
他在装模作样,这就是全部。他的记忆力足够好…… —-

Teaching him is like engraving on a piece of stone . . . —-
教他就像在石头上刻字…… —-

that will showyou how good it is! . . . You should give him a hiding.”
这会说明它有多好!……你应该打他。”

  Grandmother took me to task too.
祖母也责备了我。

  “You can remember stories and songs . . . and aren’t songs poetry?”
“你能记得故事和歌曲……而难道歌曲不是诗吗?”

  All this was true and I felt very guilty, but all the same I no sooner set myself to learn verses than fromsomewhere or other different words crept in like cockroaches, and formed themselves into lines.
所有这些都是真的,我感到很内疚,但我一旦开始学习诗句,不知从何处又渗入了不同的词语,像蟑螂一样,形成了行。

“We too have beggars at our door, Old men and orphans very poor. —-
“我们家门口也有乞丐,老人和极其贫穷的孤儿。 —-

They come and whine and ask for food,Which they will sell, though it is good. —-
他们来了,唠唠叨叨地要食物,尽管那是好东西,但他们会把它卖掉。 —-

To Petrovna to feed her cows And then on vodka will carouse.”
去给彼得罗夫娜喂她的母牛,然后又去痛饮伏特加。”

At night, when I lay in bed beside grandmother, I used to repeat to her, till I was weary, all that I had learned outof books, and all that I had composed myself. —-
晚上,当我躺在奶奶身边的床上,我经常向她重复我从书本中学到的东西,以及我自己创作的。 —-

Sometimes she giggled, but more often she gave me a lecture.
有时她咯咯地笑,但更多时候她会给我一场训话。

“There now! You see what you can do. —-
“看吧!你看你能做什么。 —-

But it is not right to make fun of beggars, God bless them! —-
但取笑乞丐是不对的,愿上帝保佑他们! —-

Christ lived inpoverty, and so did all the saints.”
基督生活在贫穷中,所有的圣人也是如此。”

  I murmured :
我嘀咕道:

“Paupers I hate, Grandfather too. —-
“我讨厌穷人,也讨厌爷爷。 —-

It ‘s sad to relate, Pardon me, God! Grandfather beats me Whenever he can.”
这是令人伤心的事,请原谅我,上帝!爷爷每次都会打我。”

“What are you talking about? I wish your tongue may drop out ! —-
“你在说什么?我希望你的舌头掉下来!” —-

” cried grandmother angrily. “If grandfathercould hear what you are saying ”
奶奶生气地喊道。“如果爷爷听到你在说什么的话。”

  “He can hear if he likes.”
“他要是愿意,他一样能听到。”

“You are very wrong to be so saucy; —-
“你这么无礼是错的; —-

it only makes your mother angry, and she has troubles enough withoutyou,” said grandmother gravely and kindly.
这只会让你妈妈生气,她已经足够忧心于你了,”奶奶庄重又和蔼地说道。

  “What is the matter with her?’
“她怎么了?”

  “Never mind ! You wouldn’t understand.”
“不要紧!你不会理解的。”

  “I know ! It is because grandfather ”
“我知道!是因为祖父。”

  “Hold your tongue, I tell you !”
“闭嘴,我告诉你!”

My lot was a hard one, for I was desperately trying to find a kindred spirit, but as I was anxious that no oneshould know of this, I took refuge in being saucy and disagreeable. —-
我的遭遇很艰难,因为我拼命想找到一位知音,但我又很焦虑,不希望任何人知道,所以我选择了变得傲慢和难以相处。 —-

The lessons with my mother becamegradually more distasteful and more difficult to me. —-
和母亲的课渐渐变得越来越讨厌和困难对我来说。 —-

I easily mastered arithmetic, but I had not the patience tolearn to write, and as for grammar, it was quite unintelligible to me.
我很快掌握了算术,但我没有耐心学写字,至于语法,对我来说完全晦涩难懂。

But what weighed upon me most of all was the fact, which I both saw and felt, that it was very hard for mother togo on living in grandfather’s house. —-
但最让我承受不住的是这个事实,我既看到又感受到,母亲在祖父家里生活很艰难。 —-

Her expression became more sullen every day; —-
她的表情每天变得越来越愠怒; —-

she seemed to look uponeverything with the eyes of a stranger. —-
她似乎用一个陌生人的眼光看待一切。 —-

She used to sit for a long time together at the window overlooking thegarden, saying nothing, and all her brilliant coloring seemed to have faded.
她常常长时间坐在俯瞰花园的窗边,一言不发,她所有明亮的色彩似乎都褪了。

In lesson-time her deep-set eyes seemed to look right through me, at the wall, or at the window, as she asked mequestions in a weary voice, and straightway forgot the answers; —-
在上课时间里,她的深陷的眼睛似乎注视着我、墙壁或窗外,用疲倦的声音询问我问题,立刻忘记答案; —-

and she flew into rages with me much oftenerwhich hurt me, for mothers ought to behave better than any one else, as they do in stories.
她经常对我发脾气,这让我很伤心,因为母亲应该表现得比任何人都好,就像故事中的那样。

  Sometimes I said to her:
有时我对她说:

  “You do not like living with us, do you?”
“你不喜欢和我们一起生活,对吧?”

  “Mind your own business!” she would cry angrily.
“管好你自己的事!”她生气地喊道。

It began to dawn upon me that grandfather was up to something which worried grandmother and mother. —-
我渐渐意识到祖父正在做一些让祖母和母亲担忧的事情。 —-

Heoften shut himself up with mother in her room, and there we heard him wailing and squeaking like the woodenpipe of Nikanora, the one-sided shepherd, which always affected me so unpleasantly. —-
他经常与母亲关在她的房间里,我们听到他像单边牧羊人尼卡诺拉的木笛一样哀鸣和发出尖叫声,总让我感到不舒服。 —-

Once when one of theseconversations was going on, mother shrieked so that every one in the house could hear her :
有一次,当一次这样的谈话进行时,母亲尖叫着,整个房子里的每个人都能听到她:

  “I won’t have it! I won’t!”
“我不答应!我不会。”

  And a door banged and grandfather set up a howl.
“不可以!”大门砰地一声关上,祖父发出惨叫声。

This happened in the evening. Grandmother was sitting at the kitchen table making a shirt for grandfather andwhispering to herself. —-
这发生在晚上。祖母坐在厨房桌旁为祖父做衬衫,一边自言自语。 —-

When the door banged, she said, listening intently:
大门砰的一声,她专心聆听着说:

  “O Lord ! she has gone up to the lodgers.”
“啊,上帝啊!她去找住客了。”

  At this moment grandfather burst into the kitchen, and rushing up to grandmother, gave her a blow on the head,and hissed as he shook his bruised fist at her:
“暂时,祖父冲进厨房,冲向祖母,给了她一记头部的重击,抓住她受伤的拳头,嘶声说道:

  “Don’t you go chattering about things there ‘s no need to talk about, you old hag !”
“老妪,别去探讨那些不必谈论的事情啦。”

“You are an old fool !” retorted grandmother quietly, as she put her knocked-about hair straight. —-
“你这老疯子!”祖母平静地反击道,整理了一下被打乱的头发。 —-

“Do you think Iam going to keep quiet? —-
“你以为我会保持沉默吗?我会告诉她关于你那些阴谋的一切。” —-

I’ll tell her everything I know about your plots always.”
我会告诉她关于你那些阴谋的一切。”

  He threw himself upon her and struck at her large head with his fists.
“他扑向她,用拳头朝她庞大的头发砸去。

  Making no attempt to defend herself, or to strike him back, she said :
毫不奋力防御自己,也不还手,她说道:

  “Go on! Beat me, you silly fool! . . . That’s right! Hit me!”
“继续啊!打我吧,你这愚蠢的傻瓜!……对!打我!”

I threw cushions and blankets at him from the couch, and the boots which were round the stove, but he was insuch a frenzy of rage that he did not heed them. —-
我从沙发上扔来靠垫和毯子,还有炉子旁边的靴子,但他愤怒到极点,根本不顾及这些东西。 —-

Grandmother fell to the floor and he kicked her head, till hefinally stumbled and fell down himself, over-turning a pailful of water. —-
奶奶跌倒在地,他踢她的头,直到最终自己也摔倒了,连一个水桶都打翻了。 —-

He jumped up spluttering and snorting,glanced wildly round, and rushed away to his own room in the attic.
他跳起来咳嗽打喷嚏,狂乱地四处张望,然后冲进自己在阁楼的房间。

Grandmother rose with a sigh, sat down on the bench, and began to straighten her matted hair. —-
奶奶叹了口气,坐在长椅上,开始梳理她打结的头发。 —-

I jumped oil thecouch, and she said to me in an angry tone:
我从沙发上跳起来,她生气地对我说:

“Put these pillows and things in their places. The idea ! —-
“把这些靠垫和东西放回原处。真是的! —-

Fancy throwing pillows at any one ! . . . And was it anybusiness of yours? —-
妄想向别人扔靠垫!……还有,这与你有什么关系? —-

As for that old devil, he has gone out of his mind the fool !”
至于那个老魔鬼,他疯了那个傻瓜!”

  Then she drew in her breath sharply, wrinkling up her face as she called me to her, and holding her head downsaid:
然后她急促地吸了口气,皱起脸来叫我过来,低着头说:

  “Look! What is it that hurts me so?”
“瞧!是什么让我这么痛苦?”

I put her heavy hair aside, and saw that a hairpin had been driven deep intc the skin of her head. —-
我推开她的沉重头发,发现一个发簪插入她头皮深处。 —-

I pulled it out;but finding another one, my ringers seemed to lose all power of movement and I said: —-
我将其拔出;但发现另一个,我的手指似乎失去了所有的运动能力,我说: —-

“I think I had better callmother. I am frightened.”
“我觉得我还是去叫妈妈。我害怕。”

  She waved me aside.
她挥手让我让开。

“What is the matter? . . . Call mother indeed! I’ll call you ! . . . —-
“怎么了?…叫妈妈的话!我要叫你!” —-

Thank God that she has heard and seen nothing ofit ! —-
感谢上帝她什么都没听到,没看到! —-

As for you Now then, get out of my way!”
至于你,赶紧走开!

  And with her own flexible lace-worker’s fingers she rummaged in her thick mane, while I plucked up sufficientcourage to help her pull out two more thick, bent hairpins.
她用自己灵活的花边工匠手指在自己浓密的秀发里翻找,而我鼓起勇气帮她拔出另外两根厚厚弯曲的发簪。

  “Does it hurt you?’
“疼吗?”

  “Not much. I’ll heat the bath tomorrow and wash my head. It will be all right then.”
“不太疼。明天我要热个澡,洗洗头发,那时会好的。”

Then she began persuasively: “Now, my darling, you won’t tell your mother that he beat me, will you? —-
然后她开始劝说:“现在,亲爱的,你不会告诉你妈妈他打了我,对吧? —-

There isenough bad feeling between them without that. —-
他们之间已经有足够的怨恨了。 —-

So you won’t tell, will you?”
所以你不会说出去,对吧?”

  “No.”
“不会。”

“Now, don’t you forget! Come, let us put things straight. . . . —-
“现在别忘了!来吧,我们把事情搞清楚…” —-

There are no bruises on my face, are there? —-
我脸上没有淤青,是吗?那就没事了;我们应该能保守秘密。” —-

Sothat’s all right; we shall be able to keep it quiet.”
然后她开始清理地板,我由衷地说:

  Then she set to work to clean the floor, and I exclaimed, from the bottom of my heart:
“内心深处的:谢天谢地!”

  “You are just like a saint . . . they torture you, and torture you, and you think nothing of it.”
“你就像一个圣人…他们折磨你,折磨你,你却毫不在乎。”

  “What is that nonsense you are jabbering? Saint ? Where did you ever see one?”
“你在胡说些什么?圣人?你哪里见过圣人?”

And going on all fours, she kept muttering to herself, while I sat by the side of the stove and thought on ways andmeans of being revenged on grandfather. —-
她四处爬着,一个人嘀咕着,而我坐在火炉旁思索着报复祖父的方法。 —-

It was the first time in my presence that he had beaten grandmother insuch a disgusting and terrible manner. —-
这是我见到他以如此恶心和可怕的方式打祖母的第一次。 —-

His red face and his dishevelled red hair rose before me in the twilight; —-
他那张脸发红,凌乱的红发在黄昏中站在我面前; —-

myheart was boiling over with rage, and I was irritated because I could not think of an adequate punishment.
我的心里沸腾着愤怒,我因为想不出一个合适的惩罚而感到恼火。

But a day or two after this, having been sent up to his attic with something for him, I saw him sitting on the floorbefore an open trunk, looking through some papers; —-
但这之后一两天,送东西到他的阁楼时,我看到他坐在打开的箱子前,在看一些文件; —-

while on a chair lay his favorite calendar consisting oftwelve leaves of thick, gray paper, divided into squares according to the number of days in the month, and ineach square was the figure of the saint of the day. —-
而在椅子上放着他最喜欢的日历,由十二张厚厚的灰纸片组成,根据月份的天数分成方格,每个格子里都写着当日的圣人形象。 —-

Grandfather greatly valued this calendar, and only let me lookat it on those rare occasions when he was very pleased with me; —-
祖父非常珍视这本日历,只有在他非常高兴的时候才准我看; —-

and I was conscious of an indefinable feeling asI gazed at the charming little gray figures placed so close together. —-
看着这些迷人的灰色小人物,我心中有一种难以言喻的感觉。 —-

I knew the lives of some of them too Kirikand Uliti, Barbara, the great martyr, Panteleimon, and many others ; —-
我知道其中一些人的生平,比如基利克和乌利特,芭芭拉这位伟大的殉道者,潘特列莫纳以及其他许多人; —-

but what I liked most was the sad life ofAlexei, the man of God, and the beautiful verses about him. —-
但我最喜欢的是阿列克谢,这位虔诚的人物,以及有关他的美丽诗句。 —-

Grandmother often repeated them to me feelingly.
祖母经常把这些诗句感情饱满地重复给我听。

  One might consider hundreds of such people and console oneself with the thought that they were all martyrs.
人们可以考虑成百上千的这样的人,用他们都是烈士来自慰。

But now I made up my mind to tear up the calendar ; —-
现在我决定撕毁这本日历; —-

and when grandfather took a dark blue paper to the windowto read it, I snatched up several leaves, and flying downstairs stole the scissors off grandmother’s table, andthrowing myself on the couch began to cut off the heads of the saints.
当爷爷拿起一张深蓝色的纸凑到窗户前阅读时,我抓起几片叶子,飞奔下楼,偷走了祖母桌子上的剪刀,然后扑在沙发上开始剪圣人的头像。

When I had beheaded one row I began to feel that it was a pity to destroy the calendar, so I decided to just cutout the squares; —-
当我砍掉一排头像后,我开始觉得毁坏日历有些可惜,于是决定只剪下方格; —-

but before the second row was in pieces grandfather appeared in the doorway and asked:
但在第二排被剪碎之前,爷爷出现在门口,问道:

  “Who gave you permission to take away my calendar?”
“谁让你拿走我的日历的?”

Then seeing the squares of paper scattered over the table he picked them up, one after the other, holding eachclose to his face, then dropping it and picking up another; —-
然后看到桌子上散落的小方块纸,他一个接一个地捡起来,把每一张贴近他的脸,然后扔掉并拿起另一张; —-

his jaw went awry, his beard jumped up and down, andhe breathed so hard that the papers flew on to the floor.
他的下巴歪了,胡须上下颤动,呼吸急促,纸张飞到了地板上。

  “What have you done?” he shrieked at length, dragging me towards him by the foot.
“你干了什么?”他终于尖声喊道,抓住我的脚把我拽到他身边。

  I turned head over heels, and grandmother caught me, with grandfather striking her with his fist and screaming :
我头朝下翻滚了一下,奶奶抓住了我,爷爷用拳头打她,大声尖叫:

  “I’ll kill him!”
“我要杀了他!”

  At this moment mother appeared, and I took refuge in the corner of the stove, while she, barring his way, caughtgrandfather’s hands, which were being flourished in her face, and pushed him away as she said :
就在这时母亲出现了,我躲进了火炉角落,她挡住他的去路,抓住爷爷挥舞在她脸前的手,推开他说道:

  “What is the meaning of this unseemly behavior? Recollect yourself.”
“这种不体面的行为是什么意思?收敛一下自己。”

  Grandfather threw himself on the bench under the window, howling:
爷爷扑倒在窗户下的长凳上,嚎啕大哭:

  “You want to kill me. You are all against me every one of you !”
“你们想杀了我。你们每一个人都反对我!”

“Aren’t you ashamed of yourself? —-
“你不觉得丢脸吗?” —-

” My mother’s voice sounded subdued. “Why all this pretense?”
母亲声音低沉:“为什么要装腔作势?”

Grandfather shrieked, and kicked the bench, with his beard sticking out funnily towards the ceiling and his eyestightly closed; —-
爷爷尖叫着,踢了一下长凳,他的胡须搞笑地朝天花板伸出来,眼睛紧闭着; —-

it seemed to me that he really was ashamed before mother, and that he was really pretending andthat was why he kept his eyes shut.
在我看来,他似乎是真的在妈妈面前感到羞耻,他似乎真的是在假装,这就是为什么他一直闭着眼睛。

“I’ll gum all these pieces together on some calico, and they will look even better than before,” said mother,glancing at the cuttings and the leaves. —-
“我会把这些碎片贴在一块帆布上,它们会比之前看起来更好”,母亲看了一眼剪裁和树叶说。 —-

“Look they were crumpled and torn; they had been lying about.”
“看,它们被褶皱和撕裂了;它们一直被丢着。”

  She spoke to him just like she used to speak to me in lesson-time when I could not understand something, and hestood up at once, put his shirt and waistcoat straight, in a business-like manner, expectorated and said:
她对他说话的方式就像她以前在我不理解某事时对我说话的方式一样,在商讨时间里,他立刻站起来,整理好他的衬衫和马甲,一副干练的样子,吐了口痰说:

  “Do it today. I will bring you the other leaves at once.”
“今天就去做吧,我会立刻把其他的树叶拿过来。”

  He went to the door, but he halted on the threshold and pointed a crooked finger at me:
他走向门口,但却停在门槛上,用弯曲的手指指着我:

  “And he will have to be whipped.”
“他必须挨鞭打。”

  “That goes without saying,” agreed mother, bending towards me. “Why did you do it?”
“当然,”母亲同意着,朝我俯身。“你为什么会这么做?”

  “I did it on purpose. He had better not beat grandmother again, or I’ll cut his beard off.”
“我是故意的。他最好不要再打姥姥,否则我就剪掉他的胡须。”

  Grandmother, taking off her torn bodice, said, shaking her head reproachfully :
姥姥脱下破碎的紧身衣,摇着头责备地说:

“Hold your tongue now, as you promised.” And she spat on the floor. —-
“现在闭上嘴巴,就像你答应过的那样。”她往地上吐了口唾沫。 —-

“May your tongue swell up if you don’tkeep it still !”
“如果你不安静下来,愿你的舌头肿起来!”

  Mother looked at her, and again crossed the kitchen to me.
母亲看着她,又穿过厨房来到我身边。

  “When did he beat her?’
“他什么时候打她的?”

“Now, Varvara, you ought to be ashamed to ask him about it. —-
“现在,瓦尔瓦拉,你竟然还好意思问他这个。” —-

Is it any business of yours?” said grandmotherangrily.
“这关你什么事?”奶奶生气地说。

  Mother went and put her arm round her. “Oh, little mother my dear little mother!”
母亲走过去环抱着她。“哦,小妈妈,我亲爱的小妈妈!”

  “Oh, go away with your little mother’ ! Get away !”
“哦,滚开,你的小妈妈!滚开!”

They looked at each other in silence. —-
他们默默地相视。 —-

Grandfather could be heard stamping about in the vestibule.
听得见爷爷在门厅里踱来踢去。

When she first came home mother had made friends with the merry lady, the soldier’s wife, and almost everyevening she went up to the front room of the half-house, where she sometimes found people fromBetlenga House beautiful ladies, and officers. —-
妈妈刚回家时,和那位欢乐的女士,士兵的妻子交上了朋友,几乎每天晚上都会去半幢房子的前房里,那里有时会有贝特伦加别墅的人,漂亮的女士们和军官们。 —-

Grandfather did not like this at all, and one day, as he was sittingin the kitchen, he shook his spoon at her threateningly and muttered:
爷爷一点也不喜欢这种情况,有一天,他坐在厨房里,拿着勺子威胁地对她咕哝道:

“So you are starting your old ways, curse you ! —-
“你又要重操旧业了,该死的! —-

We don’t get a chance of sleeping till the morning now.”
我们现在根本睡不成觉了。”

  He soon cleared the lodgers out, and when they had gone he brought from somewhere or other two loads ofassorted furniture, placed it in the front room, and locked it up with a large padlock.
他很快就把住户们赶走了,他们走后,他从某个地方搬来两车杂货家具,放在前房里,用大挂锁锁上了。

“We have no need to take lodgers,” he said. —-
“我们不需要再招住户了,”他说。 —-

“I am going to entertain on my own account now.”
“现在轮到我自己招待客人了。”

And so on Sundays and holidays visitors began to appear. —-
于是在星期天和假日开始有了访客。 —-

There was grandmother’s sister, Matrena Sergievna, ashrewish laundress with a large nose, in a striped silk dress and with hair dyed gold; —-
有奶奶的妹妹,玛特瑞娜•谢尔盖耶芙娜,一个有着大鼻子,穿着条纹丝绸裙,头发染金色的刻薄洗衣妇; —-

and with her came her sonsVassili, a long-haired draughtsman, good-natured and gay, who was dressed entirely in gray; —-
而且随她而来的还有她的儿子瓦西里,一个长发的素描画家,性情温和开朗,穿着全灰; —-

and Victor, in allcolors of the rainbow, with a head like a horse, and a narrow face covered with freckles, who, even while he wasin the vestibule taking off his goloshes, sang in a squeaky voice just like Petrushka’s: —-
还有维克托,身穿七彩色,头像马一样,狭窄的脸庞布满雀斑,在门厅脱去高筒靴时,就像彼得鲁什卡一样尖细的声音唱着: —-

“Andrei-papa! Andreipapa!”
“安德烈爸爸!安德烈爸爸!”

  which occasioned me some surprise and alarm.
这让我感到有些惊讶和担忧。

Uncle Jaakov used to come too, with his guitar, and accompanied by a bent, bald-headed man a clock-winder,who wore a long, black frock-coat and had a smooth manner; —-
雅各伯叔叔也会带着他的吉他来,伴随着一个弯腰秃顶的男子,一个给钟表上发条的人,他穿着一件长长的黑大衣,举止温文尔雅; —-

he reminded me of a monk. He used to sit in acorner with his head on one side, and smiling curiously as he tapped his shaven, clefted chin with his ringers. —-
他让我想起一个修士。他会坐在角落里,侧着头微笑,用手指敲打着修剪过的下巴。 —-

Hewas dark, and there was something peculiar in the way he stared at us with his one eye ; —-
他皮肤黝黑,他用一只眼睛格外奇特地盯着我们; —-

he said very little, andhis favorite expression was: —-
他几乎不说什么,他最喜欢说的表达是: —-

“Pray don’t trouble; it doesn’t matter in the least.”
“请别费心; 这一点都无所谓。”

When I saw him for the first time I suddenly remembered one day long ago, while we were living in New Street,hearing the dull, insistent beating of a drum outside the gate, and seeing a night-cart, surrounded by soldiers andpeople in black, going from the prison to the square; —-
当我第一次见到他时,我突然记起很久以前的一天,我们住在新街时听到一阵沉闷、持续的鼓声,看到一辆夜车,周围围着士兵和穿着黑色衣服的人,从监狱前往广场; —-

and seated on a bench in the cart was a man of medium size,with a round cap made of woolen stuff, in chains and upon his breast a black tablet was displayed, on whichthere were written some words in large white letters. —-
坐在车斗上的是一个中等身材的男人,戴着一个用羊毛制作的圆帽,身上带着锁链,胸前挂着一个黑色的牌子,上面用大白字写着一些词语。 —-

The man hung his head as if he were reading what waswritten there, and he shook all over and his chains rattled. —-
那个男人低着头,仿佛在读那里写的内容,他浑身颤抖,链条发出吵吵的声音。 —-

So when mother said to the winder : “This is my son,”
所以当母亲对车匠说:“这是我的儿子,”

  I shrank away from him in terror, and put my hands behind me.
我吓得退缩,并把手藏在身后。

  “Pray don’t trouble !” he said, and his whole mouth seemed to stretch, in a ghastly fashion, as far as his right ear,as he seized me by the belt, drew me to him, turned me round swiftly and lightly, and let me go.
“请别麻烦!”他说道,他的整个嘴巴似乎以一种可怕的方式拉伸到右耳,他抓住我的腰带,将我拉向他,迅速而轻盈地转动我,然后放开我。

  “He ‘s all right. He ‘s a sturdy little chap.”
“他没事的。他是个结实小家伙。”

I betook myself to the corner, where there was an armchair upholstered in leather so large that one could lie in it; —-
我走到角落,那里有一把用皮革装饰的扶手椅,又大又舒服,一个人可以躺在上面; —-

and grandfather used to brag about it, and call it “Prince Gruzincki’s armchair” and in this I settled myself andlooked on, thinking that grown-up people’s ideas of enjoyment were very boring, and that the way the clockwinder’sface kept on changing was very strange, and was not calculated to inspire confidence.
祖父喜欢吹嘘这件事,并称它为“格鲁津斯基王子的扶手椅”,我就坐在上面,观察着,心想成年人的享受真是无聊透顶,时钟摆动变化的方式也很奇怪,让人不太放心。

It was an oily, flexible face, and it seemed to be melting and always softly on the move; —-
他那张油腻而灵活的脸,看起来像是在不停地融化和柔软地移动; —-

if he smiled, his thicklips shifted to his right cheek, and his little nose turned that way too, and looked like a meat pasty on a plate. —-
如果他笑了,他那厚厚的嘴唇就会移到右颊,小鼻子也会转向那边,看起来像盘子里的肉馅饼。 —-

Hisgreat projecting ears moved strangely too, one being lifted every time he raised his eyebrow over his seeing eye,and the other moving in unison with his cheek-bone; —-
他那张凸出的大耳朵也在奇怪地移动着,一只在他抬起眉毛看见的一只眼睛上方时抬起,另一只随着他的面颊骨一起移动; —-

and when he sneezed it seemed as if it were as easy to coverhis nose with them as with the palm of his hand. —-
当他打喷嚏时,似乎轻而易举地用它们遮住鼻子,就像用手掌一样。 —-

Sometimes he sighed, and thrust out his dark tongue, round as apestle, and licked his thick, moist lips with a circular movement. —-
有时他叹气,伸出黑暗的舌头,圆如榔槌,用圆圆的动作舔着厚厚湿润的嘴唇。 —-

This did not strike me as being funny, but onlyas something wonderful, which I could not help looking at.
这不觉得好笑,只觉得非常奇妙,令人忍不住看着。

They drank tea with rum in it, which smelt like burnt onion tops; —-
他们喝泡有朗姆酒的茶,那味道像烧焦的洋葱梗; —-

they drank liqueurs made by grandmother,some yellow like gold, some black like tar, some green; —-
他们喝祖母制作的各种利口酒,有些金黄色,有些像焦油那样黑,有些绿色; —-

they ate curds, and buns made of butter, eggs and honey; —-
他们吃凝乳和用黄油、鸡蛋和蜂蜜制作的面包; —-

they perspired, and panted, and lavished praises on grandmother; —-
他们出汗,喘气,给祖母大加赞扬; —-

and when they had finished eating, they settledthemselves, looking flushed and puffy, decorously in their chairs, and languidly asked Uncle Jaakov to play.
而当他们吃完后,他们体面地坐在椅子上,脸颊通红,有些肿胀,慵懒地请雅克夫叔叔来弹琴。

  He bent over his guitar and struck up a disagreeable, irritating song:
他俯身弹着吉他,开始了一首讨厌、恼人的歌曲:

  “Oh, we have been out on the spree,The town rang with our voices free,And to a lady from KazanWe ‘ve told our story, every man.”
“哦,我们出来狂欢,镇上回响着我们自由的声音,还对着一位来自喀山的女士讲述了我们的故事,每个人都有”

  I thought this was a miserable song, and grandmother said:
“我觉得这是一首悲惨的歌曲,祖母说道:”

“Why don’t you play something else, Jaasha, a real song! —-
“为什么不弹点别的什么,亚舍,一首真正的歌曲! —-

Do you remember, Matrena, the sort of songs we usedto sing?”
“你还记得,马特丽娜,我们过去常唱的那种歌吗?”

  Spreading out her rustling frock, the laundress reminded her:
“裹挺得衣裙,那位洗衣妇人回忆道:”

  “There ‘s a new fashion in singing now, Matushka.”
“现在歌唱流行新潮了,玛图什卡。”

  Uncle looked at grandmother, blinking as if she were a long way off, and went on obstinately producing thosemelancholy sounds and foolish words.
“祖母瞪大眼睛看着,看起来好像她很远,执意发出那些忧郁的声音和愚蠢的话。”

Grandfather was carrying on a mysterious conversation with the clock-winder, pointing his finger at him; —-
“祖父正在与上弦人进行一场神秘的对话,用手指指着他;” —-

and thelatter, raising his eyebrow, looked over to mother’s side of the room and shook his head, and his mobile faceassumed a new and indescribable shape.
“那人挑起眉毛,看向母亲那边房间,并摇了摇头,他那灵活的面容呈现出新的、无法描述的形状。”

  Mother always sat between the Sergievnas, and as she talked quietly and gravely to Vassili, she sighed :
“母亲总是坐在谢尔盖瓦娜姐妹中间,和瓦西里安静而庄重地交谈时,叹息道:”

  “Ye es ! That wants thinking about.”
“是的!这需要深思。”

And Victor smiled the smile of one who has eaten to satiety, and scraped his feet on the floor; —-
“维克托露出了饱食后的笑容,脚在地板上蹭着;” —-

then he suddenlyburst shrilly into song:
“然后他突然尖声唱起来:”

  “Andrei-papa! Andrei-papa!”
“『安德烈爸爸!安德烈爸爸!』”

They all stopped talking in surprise and looked at him; —-
他们都惊讶地停止了谈话,看着他; —-

while the laundress explained in a tone of pride :
而洗衣女骄傲地解释道:

  “He got that from the theater; they sing it there.”
“他是从剧院学来的;他们在那里唱这种歌。”

There were two or three evenings like this, made memorable by their oppressive dullness, and then the winderappeared in the daytime, one Sunday after High Mass. I was sitting with mother in her room helping her to menda piece of torn beaded embroidery, when the door flew open unexpectedly and grandmother rushed into the roomwith a frightened face, saying in a loud whisper: —-
就有两三个晚上像这样,因其压抑的乏味而令人难忘,然后一个星期天在弥撒后,绕线机却在白天出现了。我正在母亲的房间里和她一起修补一块破损的镶珠刺绣,突然门意外地飞开,奶奶惊恐的脸一进来,用大声低语说: —-

“Varia, he has come!” and disappeared immediately.
“瓦里亚,他来了!”然后立刻消失了。

Mother did not stir, not an eyelash quivered; —-
母亲一动不动,连眼睫毛都没有颤动; —-

but the door was soon opened again, and there stood grandfather onthe threshold.
但门很快又被打开了,爷爷站在门口。

  “Dress yourself, Varvara, and come along!”
“瓦尔瓦拉,穿好衣服,跟我去!”

  She sat still, and without looking at him said :
她静静地坐着,没有看他,只是说:

  “Come where?”
“去哪里?”

  “Come along, for God’s sake ! Don’t begin arguing.
“快点跟着,看在上帝的份上!别开始争辩。

  He is a good, peaceable man, in a good position, and he will make a good father for Lexei.”
他是一个好人,一个和平的人,地位也不错,他会是莱克西的好父亲。”

He spoke in an unusually important manner, stroking his sides with the palms of his hands the while; —-
他说话的态度异常重要,一边用手掌拍打着自己的肋骨; —-

but hiselbows trembled, as they were bent backwards, exactly as if his hands wanted to be stretched out in front of him,and he had a struggle to keep them back.
但他的肘部颤抖着,弯折着,仿佛他的手想要伸出来,而他却要使劲把手撤回去。

  Mother interrupted him calmly.
母亲平静地打断了他。

  “I tell you that it can’t be done.”
“我告诉你,这是不可能的。”

  Grandfather stepped up to her, stretching out his hands just as if he were blind, and bending over her, bristlingwith rage, he said, with a rattle in his throat :
爷爷走到她跟前,伸出双手,就像他是瞎子一样,并且弯下身来,满脸愤怒地说道,喉咙里发出嘶哑声音:

  “Come along, or I’ll drag you to him by the hair.”
“跟我去,否则我会抓着你的头发拽过去。”

“You’ll drag me to him, will you?” asked mother, standing up. —-
“你要拽我去见他?”母亲站了起来。 —-

She turned pale and her eyes were painfullydrawn together as she began rapidly to take off her bodice and skirt, and finally, wearing nothing but herchemise, went up to grandfather and said:
她脸色苍白,眼睛紧皱,迅速脱下胸衣和裙子,最终只穿着衬衣,走到爷爷跟前说:

  “Now, drag me to him.”
“来吧,拽我去。”

  He ground his teeth together and shook his fist in her face :
他咬紧牙关,挥舞着拳头在她面前:

  “Varvara ! Dress yourself at once !”
“瓦尔瓦拉!赶紧穿上衣服!”

  Mother pushed him aside with her hand, and took hold of the door handle.
母亲用手将他推开,拽住门把手。

  “Well? Come along!”
“那怎么样?走吧!”

  “Curse you !” whispered grandfather.
“该死的!”爷爷低声呢喃。

  “I am not afraid come along !”
“我不怕,走吧!”

  She opened the door, but grandfather seized her by her chemise and fell on his knees, whispering :
她打开了门,但爷爷抓住她的衬衣,跪倒在地,低声说:

  “Varvara ! You devil ! You will ruin us. Have you no shame?”
“瓦尔瓦拉!你这个恶魔!你会害了我们的。你没有羞耻吗?”

  And he wailed softly and plaintively:
然后他柔声哀求着说:

  “Mo ther ! Mo ther !”
“妈妈!妈妈!”

Grandmother was already barring mother’s way; —-
奶奶已经挡住了母亲的去路; —-

waving her hands in her face as if she were a hen, she nowdrove her away from the door, muttering through her closed teeth:
挥动着手指着她的脸,就好像她是一只母鸡,奶奶现在把她从门口赶开,闭着牙骂道:

  “Varka! You fool! What are you doing? Go away, you shameless hussy!”
“瓦卡!你这个蠢货!你在干什么?滚开,你这个无耻的贱人!”

She pushed her into the room and secured the door with the hook; —-
她把她推进房间,用挂钩锁上门; —-

and then she bent over grandfather, helpinghim up with one hand and threatening him with the other.
然后她俯身在爷爷身边,一只手帮着他起来,一只手威胁着他。

  “Ugh! You old devil!”
“呃!你这个老家伙!”

  She sat him on the couch, and he went down all of a heap, like a rag doll, with his mouth open and his headwaggling.
她让他坐在长椅上,他像个布娃娃一样倒了下去,嘴巴张着,头摇摆着。

  “Dress yourself at once, you!” cried grandmother to mother.
“你立刻穿好衣服,听见了吗!”奶奶对母亲喊道。

  Picking her dress up from the floor, mother said :
母亲从地上捡起她的裙子说:

  “But I am not going to him do you hear?”
“但我不去见他,你听见了吗?”

  Grandmother pushed me away from the couch.
奶奶把我推开离开长椅。

  “Go and fetch a basin of water. Make haste !”
“去拿盆水来,快点!”

  She spoke in a low voice, which was almost a whisper, and with a calm, assured manner.
她用几乎是耳语的轻声说话,带着一种镇定、有把握的态度。

  I ran into the vestibule. I could hear the heavy tread of measured footsteps in the front room of the half — house,and mother’s voice came after me from her room:
我跑进门厅,能听到半房间里前屋的脚步声,妈妈的声音从她的房间传来喊着我:

  “I shall leave this place tomorrow !”
“我明天就要离开这个地方了!”

  I went into the kitchen and sat down by the window as if I were in a dream.
我走进厨房,在窗边坐下,仿佛置身梦境中。

Grandfather groaned and shrieked; grandmother muttered; —-
祖父呻吟着尖叫;祖母嘀咕着; —-

then there was the sound of a door being banged, andall was silent oppressively so.
随后传来一阵砰的一声,接着一切都变得沉寂,压抑。

  Remembering what I had been sent for, I scooped up some water in a brass basin and went into the vestibule.
想起自己被派去做的事情,我用一个黄铜盆舀了些水,走进门厅。

From the front room came the clock-winder with his head bent ; —-
从前屋传来一个弯着头的上发条匠; —-

he was smoothing his fur cap with his hand, andquacking. —-
他在用手整理着毛皮帽子,呱呱地叫着。 —-

Grandmother with her hands folded over her stomach was bowing to his back, and saying softly:
折痕婆婆双手盖在肚子上,对着他的后背鞠躬,轻声说道:

  “You know what it is yourself you can’t be forced to be nice to people.”
“你自己知道,强迫自己对别人友好是不行的。”

He halted on the threshold, and then stepped into the yard ; —-
他在门槛上停了一下,然后走进院子; —-

and grandmother, trembling all over, crossed herselfand did not seem to know whether she wanted to laugh or cry.
奶奶全身发抖,交叉了自己,似乎不知道是想笑还是哭。

  “What is the matter?” I asked, running to her.
“出了什么事?”我跑过去问她。

  She snatched the basin from me, splashing the water over my legs, and cried :
她从我手中抢过盆,将水溅在我的腿上,大声说道:

“So this is where you come for water. Bolt the door! —-
“原来你是来这里打水的。把门锁上!” —-

” And she went back into mother’s room; —-
然后她回到母亲的房间; —-

and I went into thekitchen again and listened to them sighing and groaning and muttering, just as if they were moving a load, whichwas too heavy for them, from one place to another.
我又走进厨房,听到他们叹息、呻吟和嘟囔,仿佛是在将一件对他们来说太重的东西从一个地方搬到另一个地方。

It was a brilliant day. Through the ice-covered window-panes peeped the slanting beams of the winter sun; —-
这是一个灿烂的日子。透过冰冻的窗玻璃,斜着的冬日阳光照射进来; —-

on thetable, which was laid for dinner, was the pewter dinner-service; —-
放在摆好的晚餐餐具上的是锡制晚餐用具; —-

a goblet containing red kvass, and another withsome dark-green vodka made by grandfather from betony and St. John’s wort, gleamed dully. —-
一只装着红果汁的高脚杯,还有一杯爷爷用白背连翘和圣约翰梅酿制的深绿色伏特加,黯淡地闪光。 —-

Through thethawed places on the window could be seen the snow on the roofs, dazzlingly bright and sparkling like silver onthe posts of the fence. —-
透过窗户上融化的部分可以看到屋顶上的雪,炫目明亮,闪闪发光,就像篱笆上的银子一样。 —-

Hanging against the window-frame in cages, my birds played in the sunshine : —-
在窗框上的笼子里,我的鸟儿在阳光下玩耍着: —-

the tamesiskins chirped gaily, the robins uttered their sharp, shrill twitter, and the goldfinch took a bath.
驯服的雀儿欢快地吱吱叫着,知更鸟发出犀利尖锐的啁啾声,金翅雀洗了个澡。

But this radiant, silver day, in which every sound was clear and distinct, brought no joy with it, for it seemed outof place everything seemed out of place. —-
但这个明亮的银白日子,每一个声音都清晰而明确,却没有带来任何喜悦,因为一切似乎都不合时宜。 —-

I was seized with a desire to set the birds free, and was about to takedown the cages when grandmother rushed in, clapping her hands to her sides, and flew to the stove, callingherself names.
我突然想把鸟放走,正要把笼子拿下来时,奶奶冲进来,拍手作响,飞到炉前,责骂着自己。

  “Curse you! Bad luck to you for an old fool, Akulina!”
“可恶!老傻瓜阿库丽娜,你这个倒霉货!”

  She drew a pie out of the oven, touched the crust with her finger, and spat on the floor out of sheer exasperation.
她从烤炉里拿出一个馅饼,用手指碰了碰外皮,出于愤怒在地板上吐了一口口水。

“There you are absolutely dried up! It is your own fault that it is burnt. Uch ! Devil ! —-
“看你!完全烤干了!这是你自己的错导致它被烧焦了。呸!魔鬼! —-

A plague upon all yourdoings ! Why don’t you keep your eyes open, owl”? —-
你所有的行动都会带来厄运!你为什么不睁大眼睛,长耳朵的猫头鹰”? —-

. . . You are as unlucky as bad money!”
“…你和坏钱一样倒霉!”

  And she cried, and blew on the pie, and turned it over, first on this side, then on that, tapping the dry crust withher fingers, upon which her large tears splashed forlornly.
她抱怨着,吹着馅饼,把它翻来覆去,一边用手指轻叩着干燥的外壳,她的泪水滴在地上,显得凄凉不堪。

  When grandfather and mother came into the kitchen she banged the pie on the table so hard that all the platesjumped.
当祖父和母亲走进厨房时,她把馅饼砰地摔在桌子上,碟子们都跳了起来。

  “Look at that! That ‘s your doing . . . there’s no crust for you, top or bottom !”
“看这个!这都是你的. . . 你再也没有上下的馅饼啦!”

Mother, looking quite happy and peaceful, kissed her, and told her not to get angry about it; —-
母亲看起来很开心和平静,亲了亲她,告诉她不要生气; —-

while grandfather,looking utterly crushed and weary, sat down to table and unfolded his serviette, blinking, with the sun in hiseyes, and muttered :
而祖父看起来精疲力竭地坐下来吃饭,展开餐巾纸,眼睛里闪着阳光,嘀咕着:

“That will do. It doesn’t matter. We have eaten plenty of pies that were not spoilt. —-
“好啦。没关系。我们吃了很多没有坏掉的馅饼。 —-

When the Lord buys He paysfor a year in minutes . . . —-
主买东西时,比如分钟付一年的钱. . . —-

and allows no interest. Sit down, do, Varia! . . —-
而且不收利息。娃利娅,坐下来吧! —-

. and have done with it.”
结束了吧。”

  He behaved just as if he had gone out of his mind, and talked all dinner-time about God, and about ungodlyAhab, and said what a hard lot a father’s was, until grandmother interrupted him by saying angrily:
他的举止就像是疯了一样,整个晚餐时间都在谈论上帝,以及不虔诚的亚哈,说一个父亲的命运是多么困难,直到奶奶生气地打断他说:

  “You eat your dinner . . . that ‘s the best thing you can do !”
“你吃饭吧. . . 那是你能做的最好的事!”

  Mother joked all the time, and her clear eyes sparkled.
母亲一直开玩笑,她清澈的眼睛闪闪发光。

  “So you were frightened just now?” she asked, giving me a push.
“所以刚才你害怕了?”她问,推了推我。

No, I had not been so frightened then, but now I felt uneasy and bewildered. —-
不,那时候我没有那么害怕,但现在感到不安和困惑。 —-

As the meal dragged out to theweary length which was usual on Sundays and holidays, it seemed to me that these could not be the same peoplewho, only half an hour ago, were shouting at each other, on the verge of fighting, and bursting out into tears andsobs. —-
正如餐点在周日和假日那种漫长乏味的长度里拖延,我觉得这些不可能是那些半个小时前彼此大喊大叫,几乎要打起来,哭喊号啕的那些人。 —-

I could not believe, that is to say, that they were in earnest now, and that they were not ready to weep allthe time. —-
我无法相信,也就是说,他们现在并不是认真的,他们整个时间都准备哭泣。 —-

But those tears and cries, and the scenes which they inflicted upon one another, happened so often, anddied away so quickly, that I began to get used to them, and they gradually ceased to excite me or to cause meheartache.
但是那些眼泪和哭泣,以及他们互相施加的场景,发生得如此频繁,消失得如此迅速,以至于我开始习惯它们,逐渐不再激起我的情感或引起我心痛。

  Much later I realized that Russian people, because of the poverty and squalor of their lives, love to amusethemselves with sorrow to play with it like children, and are seldom ashamed of being unhappy.
直到后来我意识到,俄罗斯人因为贫穷和肮脏的生活而喜欢用悲伤来娱乐自己,就像孩子们玩一样,他们很少因为不快乐而感到羞耻。

  Amidst their endless week-days, grief makes a holiday, and a fire is an amusement a scratch is an ornament to anempty face.
在他们无尽的工作日里,悲伤就像是一个节日,生火成了一个娱乐,一个划痕成了一张空面孔的装饰。