The season of irresponsibility is at hand. Come, let us twine round our brows wreaths of poison ivy (that is for idiocy), and wander hand in hand with sociology in the summer fields.
不负责任的季节已经来临。快来,让我们用毒葛芦藤编织花环(这是为了愚蠢),手牵手与社会学一同漫步在夏日的田野里。

Likely as not the world is flat. —
很可能世界是平的。 —

The wise men have tried to prove that it is round, with indifferent success. —
智者们试图证明它是圆的,但并不成功。 —

They pointed out to us a ship going to sea, and bade us observe that, at length, the convexity of the earth hid from our view all but the vessel’s topmast. —
他们指给我们看一艘开往海上的船,并要我们注意到,最后,地球的凸度使我们看不见船只的除了桅杆之外的部分。 —

But we picked up a telescope and looked, and saw the decks and hull again. —
但我们拿起望远镜看了看,又看见了甲板和船体。然后智者们说:“哦,算了吧!反正, —

Then the wise men said: “Oh, pshaw! —
赤道和黄道交点的变化证明了这一点。” —

anyhow, the variation of the intersection of the equator and the ecliptic proves it.” We could not see this through our telescope, so we remained silent. —
我们无法通过望远镜看到这一点,所以保持沉默。但以理性来说,如果世界是圆的,中国人的辫子会从他们的头上向上竖起,而不是像旅行者所告诉我们的那样垂到他们的背后。 —

But it stands to reason that, if the world were round, the queues of China-Men would stand straight up from their heads instead of hanging down their backs, as travellers assure us they do.
所以原因是,如果世界是圆的,中国人的辫子应该从他们的头部垂直向上而不是向下。

Another hot-weather corroboration of the flat theory is the fact that all of life, as we know it, moves in little, unavailing circles. —
在高温气候下,对地平理论的另一个证明是我们所知的所有生命都在无意义的小圈子里移动。 —

More justly than to anything else, it can be likened to the game of baseball. Crack! —
更准确地说,可以将其比作棒球游戏。咔嚓!我们击中球, —

we hit the ball, and away we go. —
然后就离开。 —

If we earn a run (in life we call it success) we get back to the home plate and sit upon a bench. —
如果我们得分(在生活中我们称之为成功),我们回到本垒并坐在长凳上。 —

If we are thrown out, we walk back to the home plate – and sit upon a bench.
如果我们出局,我们走回本垒,然后坐在长凳上。

The circumnavigators of the alleged globe may have sailed the rim of a watery circle back to the same port again. —
所谓地球周围航行的人可能只是沿着一个水圈的边缘航行,又回到同一个港口。 —

The truly great return at the high tide of their attainments to the simplicity of a child. —
真正伟大的人在达到巅峰时会回归到孩童的简单。 —

The billionaire sits down at his mahogany to his bowl of bread and milk. —
亿万富翁坐在紫檀木桌前吃着他的面包和牛奶。 —

When you reach the end of your career, just take down the sign “Goal” and look at the other side of it. —
当你达到职业生涯的终点时,只需取下标志上的“目标”,看看其另一面。 —

You will find “Beginning Point” there. —
你会发现那里写着“起点”。 —

It has been reversed while you were going around the track.
当你绕着赛道走的时候,它已经倒转了。

But this is humour, and must be stopped. —
但这是幽默,必须停止。 —

Let us get back to the serious questions that arise whenever Sociology turns summer boarder. —
让我们回到每当社会学转入暑期住客时出现的严肃问题。 —

You are invited to consider the scene of the story-wild, Atlantic waves, thundering against a wooded and rock-bound shore – in the Greater City of New York.
你受邀考虑故事情节的场景——狂野的大西洋浪潮,在纽约的大都市中,雷鸣般地冲击着一个木质和岩石包围的海岸。

The town of Fishampton, on the south shore of Long Island, is noted for its clam fritters and the summer residence of the Van Plushvelts.
长岛南岸的费舍姆普顿镇以其蛤蜊煎饼和范普拉什威尔特家的夏季住所而闻名。

The Van Plushvelts have a hundred million dollars, and their name is a household word with tradesmen and photographers.
范普拉什威尔特家有一亿美元财富,他们的名字在各行各业和摄影师中都是家喻户晓的。

On the fifteenth of June the Van Plushvelts boarded up the front door of their city house, carefully deposited their cat on the sidewalk, instructed the caretaker not to allow it to eat any of the ivy on the walls, and whizzed away in a 40-horse-power to Fishampton to stray alone the shade – Amaryllis not being in their class. —
在六月十五日,范普拉什威尔特家用木板钉上了他们城市住宅的前门,小心地把猫放在人行道上,并嘱咐看管人不要让它吃墙上的常春藤,然后他们骑着40匹马力的车子飞驰到费舍姆普顿,享受树荫下的漫步——毕竟,艾玛莉斯不是他们的等级。 —

If a subscriber to the Toadies’ Magazine, you have often – You say you are not? —
如果你是《马屁精期刊》的订阅者,你经常——你说你不是? —

Well, you buy it at a news-stand, thinking that the newsdealer is not wise to you. —
好吧,你在报摊上买下它,认为那个杂志商对你并不聪明。 —

But he knows about it all. —
但是他对此了如指掌。 —

HE knows – HE knows! —
他知道 - 他知道! —

I say that you have often seen in the Toadies’ Magazine pictures of the Van Plushvelts’ summer home; —
我说你经常在托代杂志上看到范普拉什维尔特家的夏季别墅的照片, —

so it will not be described here. —
所以这里就不再描述了。 —

Our business is with young Haywood Van Plushvelt, sixteen years old, heir to the century of millions, darling of the financial gods and great grandson of Peter Van Plushvelt, former owner of a particularly fine cabbage patch that has been ruined by an intrusive lot of downtown skyscrapers.
我们要讲的是哈伍德·范普拉什维尔特,十六岁,拥有亿万财富,金融众神的宠儿,彼得·范普拉什维尔特的曾孙,曾经拥有一片特别美丽的卷心菜地,但被闯入的市区摩天大楼破坏了。

One afternoon young Haywood Van Plushvelt strolled out between the granite gate posts of “Dolce far Niente” – that’s what they called the place; —
一天下午,年轻的哈伍德·范普拉什维尔特从“多尔切法尔尼恩特”(这就是他们称呼这个地方的)的花岗岩门柱之间漫步出来; —

and it was an improvement on dolce Far Rockaway, I can tell you.
这是对多尔切法尔·洛克威来说是一次改进,我可以告诉你。

Haywood walked down into the village. He was human, after all, and his prospective millions weighed upon him. —
哈伍德走进了村子。毕竟,他也是人,预计的亿万财富使他压力山大。 —

Wealth had wreaked upon him its direfullest. —
财富对他施加了最可怕的影响。 —

He was the product of private tutors. —
他是私人教师的产物。 —

Even under his first hobby-horse had tan bark been strewn. —
甚至在他的第一辆玩具马上,也铺满了松树皮。 —

He had been born with a gold spoon, lobster fork and fish-set in his mouth. —
他生下来就带着金汤匙、龙虾叉和鱼套。 —

For which I hope, later, to submit justification, I must ask your consideration of his haberdashery and tailoring.
为了这一点,我希望之后能提供正当理由,请你考虑一下他的服饰和裁缝。

Young Fortunatus was dressed in a neat suit of dark blue serge, a neat, white straw hat, neat low-cut tan shoes, of the well-known “immaculate” trade mark, a neat, narrow four-in-hand tie, and carried a slender, neat, bamboo cane.
年轻的福尔图纳图斯穿着一套整洁的深蓝色罗纹布西装,一顶整洁的白色草帽,整洁的低帮棕色鞋,上面有着著名的“无可挑剔”商标,一条整洁的窄长四效结领带,还拿着一根细长的整洁的竹拐杖。

Down Persimmon Street (there’s never tree north of Hagerstown, Md.) came from the village “Smoky” Dodson, fifteen and a half, worst boy in Fishampton. —
从佩西蒙大街(在马里兰州海格斯敦以北没有树木的地方)来了一个叫”烟雾”道森(15岁半岁,是费舍姆顿最坏的孩子)。 —

“Smoky” was dressed in a ragged red sweater, wrecked and weather-worn golf cap, run-over shoes, and trousers of the “serviceable” brand. —
“烟雾”穿着破烂的红色毛衣,破旧的高尔夫帽,破旧的鞋子,还有一条”实用”品牌的裤子。 —

Dust, clinging to the moisture induced by free exercise, darkened wide areas of his face. —
尘土黏附在他运动后的湿气上,使他脸上的范围变暗。 —

“Smoky” carried a baseball bat, and a league ball that advertised itself in the rotundity of his trousers pocket. —
“Smoky”手持一只棒球棒,他的裤子口袋里还塞着一只宣传自己所在联盟的球。 —

Haywood stopped and passed the time of day.
Haywood停下来和他寒暄了一下。

“Going to play ball?” he asked.
“要去打棒球吗?”他问。

“Smoky’s” eyes and countenance confronted him with a frank blue-and-freckled scrutiny.
“Smoky”的眼睛和神情以坦率的蓝色和布满雀斑的审视对视着他。

“Me?” he said, with deadly mildness; “sure not. —
“我?”他轻柔地说,“当然不是。 —

Can’t you see I’ve got a divin’ suit on? —
你难道看不出我穿着潜水服吗? —

I’m goin’ up in a submarine balloon to catch butterflies with a two-inch auger.
“我要坐潜艇气球去用一个两英寸的螺絲式钻头捕获蝴蝶。

“Excuse me,” said Haywood, with the insulting politeness of his caste, “for mistaking you for a gentleman. —
“对不起,” Haywood客气地说,带着他社会阶层的侮辱,“以为你是绅士。 —

I might have known better.”
我本该更清楚一些。”

“How might you have known better if you thought I was one?” said “Smoky,” unconsciously a logician.
“如果你认为我是绅士,你怎么会更清楚?””Smoky”毫无意识地做着逻辑推理。

“By your appearances,” said Haywood. —
“从你的外表上。”Haywood说。 —

“No gentleman is dirty, ragged and a liar.”
“没有绅士会又脏又破烂又说谎。”

“Smoky” hooted once like a ferry-boat, spat on his hand, got a firm grip on his baseball bat and then dropped it against the fence.
“Smoky”像渡船一样呜呜一声,吐了口唾沫,握紧了他的棒球棒,然后放在了篱笆上。

“Say,” said he, “I knows you. —
“说到这里,”他说道, —

You’re the pup that belongs in that swell private summer sanitarium for city-guys over there. —
“我认识你。你是那个属于那个里面的,为城市人提供高级夏令营的小家伙。 —

I seen you come out of the gate. —
我看见你从大门出来了。 —

You can’t bluff nobody because you’re rich. —
你是个有钱人,无法蒙骗别人。 —

And because you got on swell clothes. Arabella! Yah!”
那是因为你穿着漂亮的衣服。阿拉贝拉!是吧!

“Ragamuffin!” said Hay-wood.
“流浪汉!”海伍德说道。

“Smoky” picked up a fence-rail splinter and laid it on his shoulder.
“烟熏鬼”拿起一个栅栏木片放在肩上。

“Dare you to knock it off,” he challenged.
“敢你打掉它,”他挑衅地说。

“I wouldn’t soil my hands with you,” said the aristocrat.
“我不愿用你脏了我的手,”贵族说道。

”‘Fraid,” said “Smoky” concisely. —
“害怕,”“烟熏鬼”简洁地说道。 —

“Youse city-ducks ain’t got the I sand. —
“你们这些城里鸭子没有胆量。 —

I kin lick you with one hand.”
我可以一只手打败你。”

“I don’t wish to have any trouble with you,” said Haywood. —
“我不想跟你起冲突,”海伍德说道。 —

“I asked you a civil question; —
“我问你一个正常的问题, —

and you replied, like a – like a – a cad.”
而你却像个——像个——流氓一样回答。”

“Wot’s a cad?” asked “Smoky.”
“流氓是什么?” “烟熏鬼”问道。

“A cad is a disagreeable person,” answered Haywood, “who lacks manners and doesn’t know his place. They, sometimes play baseball.”
海伍德回答道:“流氓就是一个讨厌的人,缺乏礼貌,不懂得自己的位置。有时候他们也玩棒球。”

“I can tell you what a mollycoddle is,” said “Smoky.” “It’s a monkey dressed up by its mother and sent out too pick daisies on the lawn.”
“我可以告诉你什么是娇生惯养的人,”“烟熏鬼”说道。“就是一个被他的母亲打扮起来,在草坪上摘雏菊的猴子。”

“When you have the honour to refer to the members of my family,” said Haywood, with some dim ideas of a code in his mind, “you’d better leave the ladies out of your remarks.”
“当你有荣幸提及我家人的时候,”海伍德说道,脑海中浮现出某种准则的模糊想法,” 最好不要在你的话里提到女士们。”

“Ho! ladies!” mocked the rude one. “I say ladies! —
“哦!女士们!”那个粗鲁的人嘲弄道。”我说女士们! —

I know what them rich women in the city does. —
我知道城里那些有钱的女人都干什么。” —

They, drink cocktails and swear and give parties to gorillas. —
“她们喝鸡尾酒,咒骂,给大猩猩开派对。 —

The papers says so.”
报纸上这样写的。”

Then Haywood knew that it must be. He took off his coat, folded it neatly and laid it on the roadside grass, placed his hat upon it and began to unknot his blue silk tie.
然后海伍德知道一定是真的。他脱掉外套,整齐地叠好放在路边的草地上,把帽子放在上面,开始解开他的蓝丝领带。

“Hadn’t yer better ring fer yer maid, Arabella?” taunted “Smoky.” “Wot yer going to do – go to bed?”
“你最好打电话叫你的女仆,阿拉贝拉,” “冒烟”讽刺说。”你准备干什么,上床睡觉吗?”

“I’m going to give you a good trouncing,” said the hero. —
“我要好好揍你一顿,”英雄说道。 —

He did not hesitate, although the enemy was far beneath him socially. —
尽管敌人在社会地位上远远低于他,他毫不犹豫。 —

He remembered that his father once thrashed a cabman, and the papers gave it two columns, first page. —
他记得他的父亲曾经揍过一名车夫,而报纸给了这个事情两栏头版报道。 —

And the Toadies’ Magazine had a special article on Upper Cuts by the Upper Classes, and ran new pictures of the Van Plushvelt country seat, at Fishampton.
Toadies的杂志上有一篇关于上层阶级的上切发型的特别文章,并刊登了Van Plushvelt的乡村别墅Fishampton的新照片。

“Wot’s trouncing?” asked “Smoky,” suspiciously. —
“什么是trouncing?” “Smoky”怀疑地问道。 —

“I don’t want your old clothes. —
“我不要你的旧衣服。我可不是——哦, —

I’m no – oh, you mean to scrap! —
你是指打架!我的天呐! —

My, my! —

I won’t do a thing to mamma’s pet. Criminy! —
我才不会对妈妈的宠物做什么。见鬼! —

I’d hate to be a hand-laundered thing like you.
我可不喜欢成为一个像你这样被手洗的东西。

“Smoky” waited with some awkwardness for his adversary to prepare for battle. —
“Smoky”有些尴尬地等待他的对手准备战斗。 —

His own decks were always clear for action. —
他自己的甲板总是清晰可见的。 —

When he should spit upon the palm of his terrible right it was equivalent to “You may fire now, Gridley.”
当他吐在他可怕的右手掌上时,这相当于“你可以开枪了,Gridley。”

The hated patrician advanced, with his shirt sleeves neatly rolled up. —
这个被人讨厌的贵族进逼过来,他的衬衫袖子整齐地卷了起来。 —

“Smoky” waited, in an attitude of ease, expecting the affair to be conducted according to Fishampton’s rules of war. —
“Smoky”以一种轻松的姿态等待着,希望这场争斗能按照Fishampton的战争规则进行。 —

These allowed combat to be prefaced by stigma, recrimination, epithet, abuse and insult gradually increasing in emphasis and degree. —
这些规则允许争斗以污名、互相指责、绰号、辱骂逐渐增加的方式进行。 —

After a round of these “you’re anothers” would come the chip knocked from the shoulder, or the advance across the “dare” line drawn with a toe on the ground. —
进行了一轮“你是另一个人”的交锋后,会有一次肩膀上的筹码被打掉,或是挎着手向前逼近“敢不敢”划定的界线。 —

Next light taps given and taken, these also increasing in force until finally the blood was up and fists going at their best.
接下来是轻轻的碰撞,这些碰撞也逐渐加强,直到最后情绪激动,双拳互相厮打。

But Haywood did not know Fishampton’s rules. —
但海伍德并不了解费希安普敦的规矩。 —

Noblesse oblige kept a faint smile on his face as he walked slowly up to “Smoky” and said:
贵族义务使他脸上保持着微笑,慢慢地走到“烟熏”面前说道:

“Going to play ball?”
“要玩球吗?”

“Smoky” quickly understood this to be a putting of the previous question, giving him the chance to make practical apology by answering it with civility and relevance.
“烟熏”立刻明白这是前一个问题的放下,给他一个机会通过礼貌和相关性回答来做出实际的道歉。

“Listen this time,’ said he. —
“这次听着,”他说道。 —

“I’m goin’ skatin’ on the river. —
“我要去河上滑冰。 —

Don’t you see me automobile with Chinese lanterns on it standin’ and waitin’ for me?”
难道你没看见我装着灯笼的汽车正等着我吗?”

Haywood knocked him down.
海伍德把他打倒在地。

“Smoky” felt wronged. To thus deprive him of preliminary wrangle and objurgation was to send an armoured knight full tilt against a crashing lance without permitting him first to caracole around the list to the flourish of trumpets. —
“烟熏”觉得自己受了冤屈。将他剥夺了初步的争论和谴责,就好像是让一个全副武装的骑士无阻碍地对着一个破裂的长矛冲过去,而不允许他首先在场地上盘旋,扬起喇叭声响。 —

But he scrambled up and fell upon his foe, head, feet and fists.
但他爬起来,全身冲向敌人,用头、脚和拳头攻击。

The fight lasted one round of an hour and ten minutes. —
战斗持续了一个小时十分钟的一轮。 —

It was lengthened until it was more like a war or a family feud than a fight. —
这场战斗延长到更像是一场战争或家族争斗,而不仅仅是一场打斗。 —

Haywood had learned some of the science of boxing and wrestling from his tutors, but these he discarded for the more instinctive methods of battle handed down by the cave-dwelling Van Plushvelts.
海伍德从他的导师那里学到了一些拳击和摔跤的技术,但他却抛弃了这些技术,选择了洞穴居住的范普拉斯弗特家族传下来的更本能的战斗方法。

So, when he found himself, during the mêlée, seated upon the kicking and roaring “Smoky’s” chest, he improved the opportunity by vigorously kneading handfuls of sand and soil into his adversary’s ears, eyes and mouth, and when “Smoky” got the proper leg hold and “turned” him, he fastened both hands in the Plushvelt hair and pounded the Plushvelt head against the lap of mother earth. —
所以,在混战中,当他发现自己坐在踢腾着的“斯莫基”胸膛上时,他抓紧机会,用力捧起一把沙土塞进对手的耳朵、眼睛和嘴里,当“斯莫基”成功扭转局势时,他抓住了普拉什韦尔特的头发,将其头猛击到大地的膝盖上。 —

Of course, the strife was not incessantly active. —
当然,争斗并不是持续不断的。 —

There were seasons when one sat upon the other, holding him down, while each blew like a grampus, spat out the more inconveniently large sections of gravel and and strove to subdue the spirit of his opponent with a frightful and soul-paralyzing glare.
有时候一个人坐在另一个人身上压制他,同时他们像鲸鱼一样喘气,吐出那些碍事的大块砾石,并努力用可怕而令人心悸的眼神征服对手的精神。

At last, it seemed that in the language of the ring, their efforts lacked steam. —
最后,按照拳击场上的说法,他们的努力变得无力。 —

They broke away, and each disappeared in a cloud as he brushed away the dust of the conflict. —
他们分开了,每个人在消散争斗的尘埃中消失。 —

As soon as his breath permitted, Haywood walked close to “Smoky” and said:
当海伍德的呼吸逐渐平复时,他走近“斯莫基”说道:

“Going to play ball?”
“要打球吗?”

“Smoky” looked pensively at the sky, at his bat lying on the ground, and at the “leaguer” rounding his pocket.
“Smokey”沉思地望着天空,看着躺在地上的球棒,又看了看口袋里绕着的球。

“Sure,” he said, offhandedly. —
“当然,”他漫不经心地说, —

“The ‘Yellowjackets’” plays the ‘Long Islands.’ I’m cap’n of the ‘Long Islands.’
“‘黄蜂队’正在和‘长岛队’比赛。我是‘长岛队’的队长。”

“I guess I didn’t mean to say you were ragged,” said Haywood. “But you are dirty, you know.”
“我想我并不是说你衣衫褴褛,”海伍德说。“但你确实很脏,你知道的。”

“Sure,” said “Smoky.” “Yer get that way knockin’ around. —
“当然,”“Smokey”说。“漂泊街头总会弄得这样。听着, —

Say, I don’t believe them New York papers about ladies drinkin’ and havin’ monkeys dinin’ at the table with ‘em. —
我可不相信那些纽约报纸上关于女士们喝酒并与猴子一起在餐桌上用餐的报道。我觉得它们都是谎言,就像关于人们用银盘吃饭和拥有价值100美元的狗的报道一样。” —

I guess they’re lies, like they print about people eatin’ out of silver plates, and ownin’ dogs that cost $100.”
“当然,”海伍德说。“你们球队里你打什么位置?”

“Certainly,” said Haywood. “What do you play on your team?”
“接手手套。你有没有打过棒球?”

“Ketcher. Ever play any?”
“我一生中从未打过,”海伍德说。“除了我的两个表兄弟以外,我从未认识过其他人。”

“Never in my life,” said Haywood. —
“你想学吗?我们在比赛前要进行一次练习赛。 —

“I’ve never known any fellows except one or two of my cousins.”
想一起来吗?我会把你安排在左外野,你很快就能适应。”

“Jer like to learn? We’re goin’ to have a practice- game before the match. —
“Ketcher”是个什么意思 — —

Wanter come along? —

I’ll put yer in left-field, and yer won’t be long ketchin’ on.”
“我会把你安排在左外野的。你不会用太久的。”

“I’d like it bully,” said Haywood. —
“海伍德说道:“我想欺负它。 —

“I’ve alway wanted to play baseball.”
我一直想打棒球。”

The ladies’ maids of New York and the families of Western mine owners with social ambitions will remember well the sensation that was created by the report that the young multi-millionaire, Haywood Van Plushvelt, was playing ball with the village youths of Fishampton. —
纽约的女仆和带有社交野心的西部矿主家庭将会铭记年轻亿万富翁海伍德·范普拉谱特与费舍普顿村的年轻人一起玩球所引起的轰动。 —

It was conceded that the millennium of democracy had come. —
人们普遍认为民主的千年已经到来。 —

Reporters and photographers swarmed to the island. —
记者和摄影师涌向这座小岛。 —

The papers printed half-page pictures of him as short-stop stopping a hot grounder. —
报纸上刊登了他作为游击被热地滚球的半页照片。 —

The Toadies’ Magazine got out a Bat and Ball number that covered the subject historically, beginning with the vampire bat and ending with the Patriarchs’ ball – illustrated with interior views of the Van Plushvelt country seat. —
《谄媚杂志》出版了一期关于棒球的专题,从吸血蝙蝠开始,以范普拉谱特乡间住所的内部图像结束。 —

Ministers, educators and sociologists everywhere hailed the event as the tocsin call that proclaimed the universal brotherhood of man.
无论处于什么地方,部长、教育家和社会学家都欢迎这一事件,他们认为这是呼吁普世人类兄弟之情的信号。

One afternoon I was reclining under the trees near the shore at Fishampton in the esteemed company of an eminent, bald-headed young sociologist. —
一个下午,我和一位受人尊敬的光头年轻社会学家一起躺在Fishampton海岸的树下。 —

By way of note it may be inserted that all sociologists are more or less bald, and exactly thirty-two. Look ‘em over.
话说回来,所有的社会学家或多或少都是秃头,完全是三十二岁。看看他们吧。

The sociologist was citing the Van Plushvelt case as the most important “uplift” symptom of a generation, and as an excuse for his own existence.
社会学家引用范普拉什维尔特案例作为一代人最重要的”提升”症状,并作为他自己存在的借口。

Immediately before us were the village baseball grounds. —
立刻就在我们面前是村子的棒球场。现在, —

And now came the sportive youth of Fishampton and distributed themselves, shouting, about the diamond. —
Fishampton的运动青年们兴高采烈地在球场上分散开来,大声喧哗着。 —

“There,” said the sociologist, pointing, “there is young Van Plushvelt.”
“你看,” 社会学家指着说,” 那就是年轻的范普拉什维尔特。

I raised myself (so far a cosycophant with Mary Ann) and gazed.
我站起来(Mary Ann的忠实拥护者),凝视着。

Young Van Plushvelt sat upon the ground. —
年轻的范普拉什维尔特坐在地上。 —

He was dressed in a ragged red sweater, wrecked and weather- worn golf cap, run-over shoes, and trousers of the “serviceable” brand. —
他穿着一件破旧的红色运动衫,破破烂烂的高尔夫帽,被踩破了的鞋子,还有一条”经久耐用”的裤子。 —

Dust clinging to the moisture induced by free exercise, darkened wide areas of his face.
灰尘附着在他因为自由运动而湿润的脸上,使他的面部出现了黑色的大片区域。

“That is he,” repeated the sociologist. —
“那就是他,”社会学家重复道。 —

If he had said “him” I could have been less vindictive.
如果他说“他”,我可能会少一些报复心理。

On a bench, with an air, sat the young millionaire’s chum.
在一张长椅上,一个气派的年轻百万富翁的好朋友坐着。

He was dressed in a neat suit of dark blue serge, a neat white straw hat, neat low-cut tan shoes, linen of the well-known “immaculate” trade mark, a neat, narrow four-in-hand tie, and carried a- slender, neat bamboo cane.
他穿着一套整洁的深蓝色西装,戴着一顶整洁的白色草帽,穿着整洁的低帮棕色皮鞋,衣服是著名“无瑕疵”商标的亚麻布,系着一条整洁的窄版领带,手里拿着一根纤细整洁的竹藤杖。

I laughed loudly and vulgarly.
我大声而粗俗地笑了起来。

“What you want to do,” said I to the sociologist, “is to establish a reformatory for the Logical Vicious Circle. —
“你要做的事情,”我对社会学家说,“就是建立一个逻辑恶性循环的改造所。 —

Or else I’ve got wheels. It looks to me as if things are running round and round in circles instead of getting anywhere.”
否则我就是一个疯子。在我看来,事情一直在原地转圈而没有进展。”

“What do you mean?” asked the man of progress.
“你是什么意思?”进步派的人问道。

“Why, look what he has done to “Smoky,” I replied.
我回答道:“为什么不看看他对‘Smoky’做了什么。”

“You will always be a fool,” said my friend, the sociologist, getting up and walking away.
“你永远都是个傻瓜,”我的朋友,社会学家,起身离开了。