ON the Monday evening before the picnic Marilla came down from her room with a troubled face.
在野餐前那个星期一的傍晚,玛丽拉带着一副犹豫不决的表情从她的房间里走下来。

“Anne,” she said to that small personage, who was shelling peas by the spotless table and singing, “Nelly of the Hazel Dell” with a vigor and expression that did credit to Diana’s teaching, “did you see anything of my amethyst brooch? —
“安妮,”她对着那个正在无瑕的桌子旁剥豌豆、唱着《里尔黛尔的奈莉》的小家伙说道,声音有力,表现出了黛安娜的教导,“你看到我的紫水晶胸针了吗? —

I thought I stuck it in my pincushion when I came home from church yesterday evening, but I can’t find it anywhere.”
我记得昨晚从教堂回家的时候把它插在我针垫上,但我到处都找不到它。”

“I—I saw it this afternoon when you were away at the Aid Society,” said Anne, a little slowly. —
“我——我看到它是今天下午,当你去爱心团体的时候,”安妮有点慢吞吞地说。 —

“I was passing your door when I saw it on the cushion, so I went in to look at it.”
“我经过你的房门的时候看到它在垫子上,所以我进去看了一下。”

“Did you touch it?” said Marilla sternly.
“你碰了它吗?” 玛丽拉严肃地问道。

“Y-e-e-s,” admitted Anne, “I took it up and I pinned it on my breast just to see how it would look.”
“嗯——是的,”安妮承认,“我拿起来,然后别在我胸前,只是想看看效果。”

“You had no business to do anything of the sort. It’s very wrong in a little girl to meddle. —
“一个小女孩去插手干涉是非常错误的。你本不应该去我的房间,更不应该碰一个不属于你的胸针。 —

You shouldn’t have gone into my room in the first place and you shouldn’t have touched a brooch that didn’t belong to you in the second. —
你把它放在哪里了?” —

Where did you put it?”
拿在也回到梳妆台上。我只戴了一会儿。

“Oh, I put it back on the bureau. I hadn’t it on a minute. —
玛丽拉,真的,我并不是故意去干涉的。 —

Truly, I didn’t mean to meddle, Marilla. —
我没想到进入去试戴这个胸针有什么不对; —

I didn’t think about its being wrong to go in and try on the brooch; —
但现在我明白了,我再也不会这样做了。 —

but I see now that it was and I’ll never do it again. —
这是我一个好习惯。我从不会两次犯同样的错。” —

That’s one good thing about me. I never do the same naughty thing twice.”
That’s one good thing about me. I never do the same naughty thing twice.

“You didn’t put it back,” said Marilla. —
“你没把它放回去,”玛丽拉说。 —

“That brooch isn’t anywhere on the bureau. —
“梳妆台上哪儿也没有那个胸针。 —

You’ve taken it out or something, Anne.”
你把它拿出来了或者干了什么,安妮。”

“I did put it back,” said Anne quickly—pertly, Marilla thought. —
“我把它放回去了,”安妮迅速地回答,玛丽拉觉得她有些放肆。 —

“I don’t just remember whether I stuck it on the pincushion or laid it in the china tray. —
“我不记得是把它别在针垫上还是放在瓷盘里了。 —

But I’m perfectly certain I put it back.”
但我非常确定我把它放回去了。”

“I’ll go and have another look,” said Marilla, determining to be just. —
“我去再看看,”玛丽拉说,决定要公正。 —

“If you put that brooch back it’s there still. —
“如果你把那个胸针放回去了,它还在那里。 —

If it isn’t I’ll know you didn’t, that’s all!”
如果不在,我就知道你没放回去了,就这样!”

Marilla went to her room and made a thorough search, not only over the bureau but in every other place she thought the brooch might possibly be. —
玛丽拉走进自己的房间,进行了一番彻底的搜查,不仅在梳妆台上,还在她认为胸针可能在的每一个地方。 —

It was not to be found and she returned to the kitchen.
它找不到,她回到厨房。

“Anne, the brooch is gone. By your own admission you were the last person to handle it. —
“安妮,胸针不见了。根据你自己的说法,你是最后一个碰到它的人。 —

Now, what have you done with it? Tell me the truth at once. —
现在,你拿去了什么?立刻告诉我实话。 —

Did you take it out and lose it?”
你是拿出来丢了吗?”

“No, I didn’t,” said Anne solemnly, meeting Marilla’s angry gaze squarely. —
“没有,”安妮庄重地说着,直视着玛丽拉愤怒的目光。 —

“I never took the brooch out of your room and that is the truth, if I was to be led to the block for it—although I’m not very certain what a block is. —
“我从未把胸针拿出过你的房间,这是实话,即使我因此被带上断头台—尽管我并不非常确定断头台是什么。 —

So there, Marilla.”
所以,玛丽拉。”

Anne’s “so there” was only intended to emphasize her assertion, but Marilla took it as a display of defiance.
安妮的“所以”只是为了强调她的断言,但玛丽拉却将其视为挑衅的表现。

“I believe you are telling me a falsehood, Anne,” she said sharply. “I know you are. —
“我相信你在说谎,安妮,”她尖刻地说。“我知道你在说谎。 —

There now, don’t say anything more unless you are prepared to tell the whole truth. —
现在,不要说话,除非你准备坦白全部事实。 —

Go to your room and stay there until you are ready to confess.”
去你的房间,待在那里直到你准备坦白。”

“Will I take the peas with me?” said Anne meekly.
“我要把豌豆带走吗?”安妮谦恭地说。

“No, I’ll finish shelling them myself. Do as I bid you.”
“不,我自己来收拾它们。照我吩咐的去做。”

When Anne had gone Marilla went about her evening tasks in a very disturbed state of mind. —
当安妮走后,玛丽拉心情非常不安地进行着晚间任务。 —

She was worried about her valuable brooch. What if Anne had lost it? —
她担心她那枚贵重的胸针。如果安妮把它弄丢了怎么办? —

And how wicked of the child to deny having taken it, when anybody could see she must have! —
而且这孩子到底有多邪恶,居然否认拿走了它,任何人都能看出她必须是拿了! —

With such an innocent face, too!
还露出那么无辜的表情!

“I don’t know what I wouldn’t sooner have had happen,” thought Marilla, as she nervously shelled the peas. —
“我不知道我会更宁愿发生什么事了,”玛丽拉想,她紧张地剥着豌豆。 —

“Of course, I don’t suppose she meant to steal it or anything like that. —
“当然,我不觉得她是有意偷的或者类似的事情。 —

She’s just taken it to play with or help along that imagination of hers. —
她只是拿走它玩或者促进她的想象力。” —

She must have taken it, that’s clear, for there hasn’t been a soul in that room since she was in it, by her own story, until I went up tonight. —
她一定拿走了,这一点很明显,因为据她自己的说法,自从她在那个房间里之后,直到我今晚去检查前,那个房间里从没出现过别人。 —

And the brooch is gone, there’s nothing surer. —
胸针不见了,再没有更肯定的事情了。 —

I suppose she has lost it and is afraid to own up for fear she’ll be punished. —
我想她肯定是弄丢了,害怕承认怕会被惩罚。 —

It’s a dreadful thing to think she tells falsehoods. —
她撒谎是件可怕的事情。 —

It’s a far worse thing than her fit of temper. —
这比她的发脾气更糟糕。 —

It’s a fearful responsibility to have a child in your house you can’t trust. —
养在家里一个不可信任的孩子真是一件麻烦的责任。 —

Slyness and untruthfulness—that’s what she has displayed. —
狡猾和不诚实,这是她表现出来的。 —

I declare I feel worse about that than about the brooch. —
我宣告说,我对这件事比对这个胸针更加难过。 —

If she’d only have told the truth about it I wouldn’t mind so much.”
如果她只是实话实说,我就不会这么在意。

Marilla went to her room at intervals all through the evening and searched for the brooch, without finding it. —
整个晚上,玛丽拉不时地去她的房间搜索胸针,但没有找到。 —

A bedtime visit to the east gable produced no result. —
到东侧阁楼的晚间拜访并没有任何结果。 —

Anne persisted in denying that she knew anything about the brooch but Marilla was only the more firmly convinced that she did.
安妮坚持否认自己知道关于胸针的任何事情,但玛丽拉更加坚定地相信她知道。

She told Matthew the story the next morning. Matthew was confounded and puzzled; —
第二天早上,她把这件事告诉了马修。马修感到困惑和迷惑; —

he could not so quickly lose faith in Anne but he had to admit that circumstances were against her.
他不能这么快就对安妮失去信心,但他不得不承认情况对她不利。

“You’re sure it hasn’t fell down behind the bureau?” was the only suggestion he could offer.
“你确定它没有掉在橱柜后面吗?”这是他能提出的唯一建议。

“I’ve moved the bureau and I’ve taken out the drawers and I’ve looked in every crack and cranny” was Marilla’s positive answer. —
“我移开了橱柜,拿出了抽屉,搜查了每一个角落,”玛丽拉肯定地回答道。 —

“The brooch is gone and that child has taken it and lied about it. —
“胸针不见了,那孩子拿走了并且撒谎了。 —

That’s the plain, ugly truth, Matthew Cuthbert, and we might as well look it in the face.”
马修·卡瑟伯特,这就是明摆着的,丑陋的真相,我们最好直面它。”

“Well now, what are you going to do about it? —
“那么,你打算怎么办? —

” Matthew asked forlornly, feeling secretly thankful that Marilla and not he had to deal with the situation. —
”马修绝望地问道,心里暗暗庆幸玛丽拉要处理这件事而不是他。 —

He felt no desire to put his oar in this time.
这一次他并不想过多参与。

“She’ll stay in her room until she confesses,” said Marilla grimly, remembering the success of this method in the former case. —
“她会一直呆在房间直到坦白为止,”玛丽拉严肃地说,回想起先前的案例成功。 —

“Then we’ll see. Perhaps we’ll be able to find the brooch if she’ll only tell where she took it; —
“然后我们就会看到。也许只要她说出把胸针放在哪里了,我们就能找到它; —

but in any case she’ll have to be severely punished, Matthew.”
但无论如何,玛修,她都要受到严重的惩罚。”

“Well now, you’ll have to punish her,” said Matthew, reaching for his hat. —
“那么,你来惩罚她吧,”马修拿起帽子说道。 —

“I’ve nothing to do with it, remember. —
“这事跟我没关系,记得你是亲自警告我的。” —

You warned me off yourself.”
玛丽拉感觉所有人都离她而去。她甚至不能向琳迪夫人求教。

Marilla felt deserted by everyone. She could not even go to Mrs. Lynde for advice. —
她带着一张非常严肃的脸来到东侧的阁楼,离开时脸色更加严肃。 —

She went up to the east gable with a very serious face and left it with a face more serious still. —
安妮坚决拒绝坦白。她坚持声称她没有拿走胸针。 —

Anne steadfastly refused to confess. She persisted in asserting that she had not taken the brooch. —
“她将会一直呆在房间,直到她坦白为止,”玛丽拉最后说道。 —

The child had evidently been crying and Marilla felt a pang of pity which she sternly repressed. —
孩子显然一直在哭,玛丽拉感到一阵怜悯之情,但她强硬地抑制了这种感觉。 —

By night she was, as she expressed it, “beat out.”
到了晚上,她像她所说的那样,“筋疲力尽”。

“You’ll stay in this room until you confess, Anne. You can make up your mind to that,” she said firmly.
“安妮,你会呆在这个房间直到坦白为止。你要下定决心。”她坚定地说道。

“But the picnic is tomorrow, Marilla,” cried Anne. “You won’t keep me from going to that, will you? —
“但野餐是明天,玛丽拉,”安妮喊道,“你不会阻止我去参加的,对吧? —

You’ll just let me out for the afternoon, won’t you? —
你只会让我在下午出去一下,是吗? —

Then I’ll stay here as long as you like afterwards cheerfully. —
然后我以后愉快地在这儿呆多久都行。 —

But I must go to the picnic.”
但我必须去参加野餐。”

“You’ll not go to picnics nor anywhere else until you’ve confessed, Anne.”
“在你承认之前,安妮,你就别去野餐或其他地方。”

“Oh, Marilla,” gasped Anne.
“哦,玛丽拉,”安妮喘息道。

But Marilla had gone out and shut the door.
但玛丽拉已经出去关上门了。

Wednesday morning dawned as bright and fair as if expressly made to order for the picnic. —
星期三的早晨像是专门为野餐而制作的一样明亮而美好。 —

Birds sang around Green Gables; the Madonna lilies in the garden sent out whiffs of perfume that entered in on viewless winds at every door and window, and wandered through halls and rooms like spirits of benediction. —
绿门园周围鸟儿鸣叫;花园里的百合花发出阵阵香气,随着无形的风进入每扇门窗,穿过大厅和房间,像祝福的灵魂徘徊。 —

The birches in the hollow waved joyful hands as if watching for Anne’s usual morning greeting from the east gable. —
谷底的桦树像是欢喜地挥舞着双手,仿佛在等待安妮从东阁楼送来的早晨问候。 —

But Anne was not at her window. When Marilla took her breakfast up to her she found the child sitting primly on her bed, pale and resolute, with tight-shut lips and gleaming eyes.
但安妮并没有在她的窗前。当玛丽拉把早餐送到她房间时,她发现孩子端坐在床上,面色苍白而坚决,紧闭双唇,目光闪亮。

“Marilla, I’m ready to confess.”
“玛丽拉,我准备坦白了。”

“Ah!” Marilla laid down her tray. Once again her method had succeeded; —
“啊!”玛丽拉放下托盘。她的方法再次取得了成功; —

but her success was very bitter to her. “Let me hear what you have to say then, Anne.”
但她的成功对她来说是非常痛苦的。“那么,安妮,告诉我你有什么要说的。”

“I took the amethyst brooch,” said Anne, as if repeating a lesson she had learned. —
“我拿了紫水晶胸针,”安妮说,就像在重复她所学过的一课。 —

“I took it just as you said. I didn’t mean to take it when I went in. —
“我拿了它,就像你说的一样。我进去的时候并不是有意拿的。 —

But it did look so beautiful, Marilla, when I pinned it on my breast that I was overcome by an irresistible temptation. —
但那块胸针看起来真美,玛丽拉,当我别在胸前时,我被一种无法抵御的诱惑所压倒。 —

I imagined how perfectly thrilling it would be to take it to Idlewild and play I was the Lady Cordelia Fitzgerald. —
我想象着把它带到Idlewild,并假装自己是Cordelia Fitzgerald夫人,那将是多么令人兴奋啊。 —

It would be so much easier to imagine I was the Lady Cordelia if I had a real amethyst brooch on. —
如果我有一枚真正的紫水晶胸针,想象自己是Cordelia夫人会容易得多。 —

Diana and I make necklaces of roseberries but what are roseberries compared to amethysts? —
黛安娜和我用玫瑰果做项链,但玫瑰果与紫水晶相比怎么样呢? —

So I took the brooch. I thought I could put it back before you came home. —
于是我拿了胸针。我本来想你回家前把它放回去的。 —

I went all the way around by the road to lengthen out the time. —
我走了一圈,沿着路延长了时间。 —

When I was going over the bridge across the Lake of Shining Waters I took the brooch off to have another look at it. —
当我在越过闪亮湖的桥上时,我把胸针摘下来再看一眼。 —

Oh, how it did shine in the sunlight! And then, when I was leaning over the bridge, it just slipped through my fingers—so—and went down—down—down, all purply-sparkling, and sank forevermore beneath the Lake of Shining Waters. —
哦,它在阳光下闪闪发光!然后,当我俯身在桥边时,它从我的手指间滑落了—这样—向下沉去—沉去—沉去,全是紫色的闪闪发光,永远地沉入了闪亮湖底。 —

And that’s the best I can do at confessing, Marilla.”
这就是我能坦白的最好的方式,玛丽拉。”

Marilla felt hot anger surge up into her heart again. —
玛丽拉再次感到愤怒热辣辣地涌上心头。 —

This child had taken and lost her treasured amethyst brooch and now sat there calmly reciting the details thereof without the least apparent compunction or repentance.
这个孩子拿走了她珍爱的紫水晶胸针,然后坐在那里冷静地复述着事情的细节,似乎完全没有悔罪或忏悔的迹象。

“Anne, this is terrible,” she said, trying to speak calmly. —
“安妮,这太糟糕了,”她试图保持冷静地说道。 —

“You are the very wickedest girl I ever heard of.”
“你是我听说过的最邪恶的女孩。”

“Yes, I suppose I am,” agreed Anne tranquilly. “And I know I’ll have to be punished. —
“是的,我想我是,”安妮平静地同意道。“我知道我必须受到惩罚。 —

It’ll be your duty to punish me, Marilla. —
“惩罚我是你的责任,玛丽拉。 —

Won’t you please get it over right off because I’d like to go to the picnic with nothing on my mind.”
“你能不能马上解决这件事,因为我想心安理得地去野餐。”

“Picnic, indeed! You’ll go to no picnic today, Anne Shirley. —
“去野餐?你今天不会去野餐,安妮·雪莉。 —

That shall be your punishment. And it isn’t half severe enough either for what you’ve done!”
对你所做的事情,这样的惩罚还远远不够!”

“Not go to the picnic!” Anne sprang to her feet and clutched Marilla’s hand. —
“不能去野餐!”安妮跳了起来,抓住了玛丽拉的手。 —

“But you promised me I might! Oh, Marilla, I must go to the picnic. That was why I confessed. —
“但是你答应过我可以去的!哦,玛丽拉,我必须去参加野餐。这就是为什么我坦白的原因。 —

Punish me any way you like but that. Oh, Marilla, please, please, let me go to the picnic. —
“无论你怎么惩罚我,都好,但是那样做对我太残忍了。哦,玛丽拉,请,请,让我去参加野餐。 —

Think of the ice cream! For anything you know I may never have a chance to taste ice cream again.”
想想那些冰淇淋!也许你不知道,我可能再也没有机会品尝冰淇淋了。”

Marilla disengaged Anne’s clinging hands stonily.
玛丽拉冷漠地解开了安妮紧抓着的手。

“You needn’t plead, Anne. You are not going to the picnic and that’s final. No, not a word.”
“安妮,不用再求了。你不会去参加野餐,这是最后决定了。不,一个字都不行。”

Anne realized that Marilla was not to be moved. —
安妮意识到玛丽拉是不会动摇的。 —

She clasped her hands together, gave a piercing shriek, and then flung herself face downward on the bed, crying and writhing in an utter abandonment of disappointment and despair.
她双手合十,发出一声尖叫,然后跌倒在床上,哭泣,扭动着身体,完全陷入失望和绝望中。

“For the land’s sake!” gasped Marilla, hastening from the room. —
“天地良心!”玛丽拉喘着气,从房间里匆匆离开。 —

“I believe the child is crazy. No child in her senses would behave as she does. —
“我相信这孩子疯了。一个理智的孩子不会表现得像她这样。 —

If she isn’t she’s utterly bad. Oh dear, I’m afraid Rachel was right from the first. —
如果她不是,那她就是彻头彻尾的坏孩子。哦,天啊,我怕蕾切尔一开始就是对的。 —

But I’ve put my hand to the plow and I won’t look back.”
但我已经下定决心,不再回头。”

That was a dismal morning. Marilla worked fiercely and scrubbed the porch floor and the dairy shelves when she could find nothing else to do. —
那是一个阴郁的早晨。玛丽拉拼命工作,擦洗门廊地板和奶酪架子,当她找不到其他事情去做时。 —

Neither the shelves nor the porch needed it—but Marilla did. Then she went out and raked the yard.
架子和门廊都不需要这样做,但玛丽拉需要。然后她出去耙了耙院子。

When dinner was ready she went to the stairs and called Anne. A tear-stained face appeared, looking tragically over the banisters.
午饭做好时,她走到楼梯口喊安妮。一个满脸泪痕的脸露出来,在栏杆上悲伤地朝下看着。

“Come down to your dinner, Anne.”
“下来吃午饭,安妮。”

“I don’t want any dinner, Marilla,” said Anne, sobbingly. “I couldn’t eat anything. —
“我不想吃饭,玛丽拉,”安妮哽咽着说。“我什么都吃不下。 —

My heart is broken. You’ll feel remorse of conscience someday, I expect, for breaking it, Marilla, but I forgive you. —
我的心碎了。总有一天你会感到良心的痛苦,我想,因为你伤透了我的心,玛丽拉,但我原谅你。 —

Remember when the time comes that I forgive you. —
请记住,当那时刻到来时,我会原谅你。 —

But please don’t ask me to eat anything, especially boiled pork and greens. —
但请不要让我吃东西,尤其是煮熟的猪肉和青菜。 —

Boiled pork and greens are so unromantic when one is in affliction.”
在悲痛之中吃煮熟的猪肉和青菜是如此不浪漫。”

Exasperated, Marilla returned to the kitchen and poured out her tale of woe to Matthew, who, between his sense of justice and his unlawful sympathy with Anne, was a miserable man.
玛丽拉恼火地回到厨房,向马修倾诉她的苦恼,马修因为对安妮的正义感和非法的同情心而感到苦恼。

“Well now, she shouldn’t have taken the brooch, Marilla, or told stories about it,” he admitted, mournfully surveying his plateful of unromantic pork and greens as if he, like Anne, thought it a food unsuited to crises of feeling, “but she’s such a little thing—such an interesting little thing. —
“嗯,她不应该拿那个胸针,玛丽拉,或者撒谎关于它,”他沮丧地审视着自己盘中不浪漫的猪肉和青菜,仿佛像安妮一样认为这是一种不适合感情危机的食物,“但她是如此渺小——如此有趣的小家伙。 —

Don’t you think it’s pretty rough not to let her go to the picnic when she’s so set on it?”
你难道不觉得不让她去野餐真的很粗暴吗?她可是那么渴望去呢。”

“Matthew Cuthbert, I’m amazed at you. I think I’ve let her off entirely too easy. —
“马修·卡瑟伯特,我真是对你感到惊讶。我觉得我对她实在太宽容了。 —

And she doesn’t appear to realize how wicked she’s been at all—that’s what worries me most. —
她似乎并不意识到自己有多么邪恶,这让我最担心。 —

If she’d really felt sorry it wouldn’t be so bad. And you don’t seem to realize it, neither; —
如果她真的感到抱歉就不会那么糟糕。而你似乎并没有意识到这一点; —

you’re making excuses for her all the time to yourself—I can see that.”
你总是为她找借口,我可以看得出。”

“Well now, she’s such a little thing,” feebly reiterated Matthew. —
“嗯,她实在太小了”,马修微弱地重复道。 —

“And there should be allowances made, Marilla. —
“还应该多包涵她,玛利拉。 —

You know she’s never had any bringing up.”
你知道她从未受过良好教养。”

“Well, she’s having it now” retorted Marilla.
“那她现在就要接受教养了”,玛利拉反驳道。

The retort silenced Matthew if it did not convince him. That dinner was a very dismal meal. —
这餐饭实在是令人郁闷。 —

The only cheerful thing about it was Jerry Buote, the hired boy, and Marilla resented his cheerfulness as a personal insult.
唯一让人愉快的是雇工杰里·布尤特,而玛利拉却将他的欢声笑语当成是对她的个人侮辱。

When her dishes were washed and her bread sponge set and her hens fed Marilla remembered that she had noticed a small rent in her best black lace shawl when she had taken it off on Monday afternoon on returning from the Ladies’ Aid.
当她洗完碗,准备发酵面团,喂过鸡之后,玛利拉想起周一下午从女性互助会回来时脱下时发现她最好的黑色蕾丝披肩上有一个小小的破洞。

She would go and mend it. The shawl was in a box in her trunk. —
她决定去补缀一下。披肩放在她的箱子里。 —

As Marilla lifted it out, the sunlight, falling through the vines that clustered thickly about the window, struck upon something caught in the shawl—something that glittered and sparkled in facets of violet light. —
当玛利拉拿起披肩时,阳光透过窗户密集的藤蔓射在披肩上,打在一处拉链绑着的东西上,一片紫色光芒闪烁着。 —

Marilla snatched at it with a gasp. It was the amethyst brooch, hanging to a thread of the lace by its catch!
玛利拉猛地一把抓住,原来是紫水晶胸针,通过一根蕾丝线悬挂着!

“Dear life and heart,” said Marilla blankly, “what does this mean? —
“亲爱的生活和心脏,”玛丽拉茫然地说,“这是什么意思? —

Here’s my brooch safe and sound that I thought was at the bottom of Barry’s pond. —
我的胸针安然无恙,我曾以为它沉在巴里的池塘底部。 —

Whatever did that girl mean by saying she took it and lost it? —
那个女孩说她拿了它并弄丢了,她是什么意思? —

I declare I believe Green Gables is bewitched. —
我发誓我相信绿谷别墅受到了诅咒。 —

I remember now that when I took off my shawl Monday afternoon I laid it on the bureau for a minute. —
我记得周一下午我取下披肩时在梳妆台上放了一会儿。 —

I suppose the brooch got caught in it somehow. Well!”
我想胸针不知怎么被它钩住了。嗯!”

Marilla betook herself to the east gable, brooch in hand. —
玛丽拉拿着胸针走向东侧的阁楼。 —

Anne had cried herself out and was sitting dejectedly by the window.
安妮已经哭过,现在沮丧地坐在窗边。

“Anne Shirley,” said Marilla solemnly, “I’ve just found my brooch hanging to my black lace shawl. —
“安妮·雪莉,”玛丽拉庄重地说,“刚才我发现我的胸针挂在我的黑色蕾丝披肩上。 —

Now I want to know what that rigmarole you told me this morning meant.”
现在我想知道你今天早晨告诉我的那整套废话是什么意思。”

“Why, you said you’d keep me here until I confessed,” returned Anne wearily, “and so I decided to confess because I was bound to get to the picnic. —
“你说你会把我留在这里直到我承认,”安妮疲倦地回答,“所以我决定承认,因为我一定要参加野餐。 —

I thought out a confession last night after I went to bed and made it as interesting as I could. —
昨晚睡觉后我想出了一个自白,并尽可能让它有趣。 —

And I said it over and over so that I wouldn’t forget it. —
我一遍又一遍地说,这样就不会忘记。 —

But you wouldn’t let me go to the picnic after all, so all my trouble was wasted.”
但是你最终还是不让我去野餐,所以我所有的努力都白费了。”

Marilla had to laugh in spite of herself. But her conscience pricked her.
尽管良心在责备着她,玛丽拉还是忍不住笑了出来。

“Anne, you do beat all! But I was wrong—I see that now. —
“安妮,你真是厉害!但我错了,我现在明白了。 —

I shouldn’t have doubted your word when I’d never known you to tell a story. —
从未见过你撒谎,我不应该怀疑你的话。 —

Of course, it wasn’t right for you to confess to a thing you hadn’t done—it was very wrong to do so. —
当然,你承认自己没有做过的事是不对的,这样做是很错误的。 —

But I drove you to it. So if you’ll forgive me, Anne, I’ll forgive you and we’ll start square again. —
但是我逼迫你这么做了。所以如果你原谅我,安妮,我也原谅你,我们重新开始吧。 —

And now get yourself ready for the picnic.”
现在准备好去野餐吧。”

Anne flew up like a rocket.
安妮像火箭一样飞了起来。

“Oh, Marilla, isn’t it too late?”
“哦,玛丽拉,现在来得及吗?”

“No, it’s only two o’clock. They won’t be more than well gathered yet and it’ll be an hour before they have tea. —
“现在才两点,他们还没有完全聚集,再有一个小时才会开始茶点。 —

Wash your face and comb your hair and put on your gingham. I’ll fill a basket for you. —
洗洗脸,梳梳头,穿上斑纹布。我会给你装好篮子。 —

There’s plenty of stuff baked in the house. —
家里烤的食物很多。 —

And I’ll get Jerry to hitch up the sorrel and drive you down to the picnic ground.”
我会叫杰瑞套上栗色马车,送你去野餐地。”

“Oh, Marilla,” exclaimed Anne, flying to the washstand. —
“哦,玛丽拉,” 安妮飞奔到洗手台。 —

“Five minutes ago I was so miserable I was wishing I’d never been born and now I wouldn’t change places with an angel!”
“五分钟前,我难过得希望自己从未出生,现在我也不想跟天使换位!”

That night a thoroughly happy, completely tired-out Anne returned to Green Gables in a state of beatification impossible to describe.
那天晚上,一位非常幸福、完全累坏的安妮回到绿谷,一种难以描述的幸福状态。

“Oh, Marilla, I’ve had a perfectly scrumptious time. Scrumptious is a new word I learned today. —
“哦,玛丽拉,我度过了一个非常美妙的时光。美妙是我今天学到的一个新词。 —

I heard Mary Alice Bell use it. Isn’t it very expressive? Everything was lovely. —
我听到玛丽·爱丽丝·贝尔使用过这个词。难道这不太形象生动了吗?一切都很美好。 —

We had a splendid tea and then Mr. Harmon Andrews took us all for a row on the Lake of Shining Waters—six of us at a time. —
我们享用了一顿绝佳的茶,然后哈蒙·安德鲁斯先生带我们所有人划船去了“闪亮湖”——每次坐六个人。 —

And Jane Andrews nearly fell overboard. She was leaning out to pick water lilies and if Mr. Andrews hadn’t caught her by her sash just in the nick of time she’d fallen in and prob’ly been drowned. —
简·安德鲁斯差点掉进水里。她俯身要摘睡莲,幸亏安德鲁斯先生及时抓住了她的裙带,否则她就掉进水里了,很可能会淹死。 —

I wish it had been me. It would have been such a romantic experience to have been nearly drowned. —
如果是我就好了。那将是一次多么浪漫的经历,几乎被淹死。 —

It would be such a thrilling tale to tell. And we had the ice cream. —
要讲起来一定会很扣人心弦。而且我们还吃了冰淇淋。 —

Words fail me to describe that ice cream. —
无法用言语来描述那冰淇淋。 —

Marilla, I assure you it was sublime.”
玛丽拉,我向你保证那简直是一种卓越的美味。”

That evening Marilla told the whole story to Matthew over her stocking basket.
当晚,玛丽拉把整个故事告诉了马修,一边织着袜子。

“I’m willing to own up that I made a mistake,” she concluded candidly, “but I’ve learned a lesson. —
“我情愿承认我犯了错误,”她坦率地总结道,“但我也学到了一课。 —

I have to laugh when I think of Anne’s ‘confession,’ although I suppose I shouldn’t for it really was a falsehood. —
想起安妮那个‘自白’我不禁笑出声来,尽管我想我不应该笑,因为那真的是一种谎言。 —

But it doesn’t seem as bad as the other would have been, somehow, and anyhow I’m responsible for it. —
但不知怎么回事,它似乎不像原本的那样糟糕,总之我为此负责。 —

That child is hard to understand in some respects. But I believe she’ll turn out all right yet. —
那个孩子在某些方面很难理解。但我相信她最终会变得不错。 —

And there’s one thing certain, no house will ever be dull that she’s in.”
而且有一点是肯定的,她在的地方永远不会沉闷。