MARILLA said nothing to Matthew about the affair that evening; —
马里拉那晚没对马修提及这件事; —

but when Anne proved still refractory the next morning an explanation had to be made to account for her absence from the breakfast table. —
但第二天早晨,安妮依然固执,他们不得不解释她早餐时不在桌边的缘由; —

Marilla told Matthew the whole story, taking pains to impress him with a due sense of the enormity of Anne’s behavior.
马里拉给马修讲了整个故事,特别强调了安妮行为的重大性。

“It’s a good thing Rachel Lynde got a calling down; —
“好在雷切尔·林德受到了责备; —

she’s a meddlesome old gossip,” was Matthew’s consolatory rejoinder.
她是个爱管闲事的老八卦,”马修安慰性地回答道。

“Matthew Cuthbert, I’m astonished at you. —
“马修·卡瑟伯特,我真是惊讶你。 —

You know that Anne’s behavior was dreadful, and yet you take her part! —
你知道安的行为很糟糕,但你还帮她说话! —

I suppose you’ll be saying next thing that she oughtn’t to be punished at all!”
我猜你接下来会说她根本不该受到惩罚!”

“Well now—no—not exactly,” said Matthew uneasily. —
“嗯,不—不完全是这样,”马修不安地说。 —

“I reckon she ought to be punished a little. But don’t be too hard on her, Marilla. —
“我认为她应该受到一点惩罚。但不要对她太苛刻,玛丽拉。 —

Recollect she hasn’t ever had anyone to teach her right. —
记住她从来没有人教过她什么是对的。 —

You’re—you’re going to give her something to eat, aren’t you?”
你—你会给她东西吃,对吧?”

“When did you ever hear of me starving people into good behavior?” demanded Marilla indignantly. —
“你什么时候见过我用饿死人来教育他们的行为?”玛丽拉义愤地要求。 —

“She’ll have her meals regular, and I’ll carry them up to her myself. —
“她将会有规律的饭食,我自己会把饭端上去给她。 —

But she’ll stay up there until she’s willing to apologize to Mrs. Lynde, and that’s final, Matthew.”
但她会一直留在那直到愿意向林太太道歉,这是最终决定,马修。”

Breakfast, dinner, and supper were very silent meals—for Anne still remained obdurate. —
早饭、午饭和晚饭非常安静,因为安仍然固执。 —

After each meal Marilla carried a well-filled tray to the east gable and brought it down later on not noticeably depleted. —
每顿饭后,玛丽拉都端着一份满满的盘子到东阁楼,后来又拿着没怎么减少的盘子下来。 —

Matthew eyed its last descent with a troubled eye. —
马修眼睁睁看着最后一次下楼的那装盘,眼神忧虑。 —

Had Anne eaten anything at all?
安妮吃了点东西吗?

When Marilla went out that evening to bring the cows from the back pasture, Matthew, who had been hanging about the barns and watching, slipped into the house with the air of a burglar and crept upstairs. —
当那天晚上玛丽拉去后牧场放牛时,马修一直在谷仓周围徘徊观察,偷偷溜进了房子,像个窃贼一样悄悄地上了楼。 —

As a general thing Matthew gravitated between the kitchen and the little bedroom off the hall where he slept; —
通常情况下,马修在厨房和走廊旁边的小卧室之间来回走动; —

once in a while he ventured uncomfortably into the parlor or sitting room when the minister came to tea. —
只有偶尔在牧师来喝茶的时候,他会不太自在地冒昧进入客厅或起居室。 —

But he had never been upstairs in his own house since the spring he helped Marilla paper the spare bedroom, and that was four years ago.
但自从四年前帮玛丽拉给备用卧室贴壁纸的那个春天以来,他从未去过自己家的楼上。

He tiptoed along the hall and stood for several minutes outside the door of the east gable before he summoned courage to tap on it with his fingers and then open the door to peep in.
他小心翼翼地沿着走廊走,站在东楼阁门口多次用手指敲门,然后打开门窥视。

Anne was sitting on the yellow chair by the window gazing mournfully out into the garden. —
安妮坐在窗前的黄色椅子上,忧郁地望着花园。 —

Very small and unhappy she looked, and Matthew’s heart smote him. —
她看起来非常瘦小和不快乐,马修的心被触动了。 —

He softly closed the door and tiptoed over to her.
他轻轻地关上门,踮脚走到她身边。

“Anne,” he whispered, as if afraid of being overheard, “how are you making it, Anne?”
“安妮,”他 sìxīn地 sōushēng,仿佛担心会被听到,“你过得怎么样,安妮?”

Anne smiled wanly.
安妮苍白地微笑。

“Pretty well. I imagine a good deal, and that helps to pass the time. —
“还行。我想象很多东西,那有助于消磨时间。 —

Of course, it’s rather lonesome. But then, I may as well get used to that.”
当然,有点寂寞。但是,我或许应该习惯这种寂寞。”

Anne smiled again, bravely facing the long years of solitary imprisonment before her.
安妮勇敢地微笑着,面对她前方漫长的孤独囚禁岁月。

Matthew recollected that he must say what he had come to say without loss of time, lest Marilla return prematurely. —
马修记得,他必须立即说出他所要说的话,以免玛丽拉提前回来。 —

“Well now, Anne, don’t you think you’d better do it and have it over with?” he whispered. —
“安妮,那么,你不觉得你最好去做了,然后就了结了吗?”他低声说。 —

“It’ll have to be done sooner or later, you know, for Marilla’s a dreadful deter-mined woman—dreadful determined, Anne. Do it right off, I say, and have it over.”
“你知道的,这迟早是要做的,因为玛丽拉是一个可怕固执的人-可怕固执,安妮。我说立刻做,做了就了结了。”

“Do you mean apologize to Mrs. Lynde?”
“你是指向琳达夫人道歉吗?”

“Yes—apologize—that’s the very word,” said Matthew eagerly. —
“是的-道歉-就是这个词,”马修急切地说道。 —

“Just smooth it over so to speak. That’s what I was trying to get at.”
“就说平息一下,所谓平息。这就是我试图表达的。”

“I suppose I could do it to oblige you,” said Anne thoughtfully. —
“我想我可以为了讨你的好说而答应,”安妮沉思道。 —

“It would be true enough to say I am sorry, because I am sorry now. —
“说我很抱歉会是真的,因为我现在真的很抱歉。 —

I wasn’t a bit sorry last night. I was mad clear through, and I stayed mad all night. —
我昨晚一点都不抱歉。我一直很生气,整夜都生气。 —

I know I did because I woke up three times and I was just furious every time. —
我知道是因为我醒了三次,每次都非常愤怒。 —

But this morning it was over. I wasn’t in a temper anymore—and it left a dreadful sort of goneness, too. —
但今天早上一切都过去了。我不再发火了-但留下一种令人难受的空虚感。 —

I felt so ashamed of myself. But I just couldn’t think of going and telling Mrs. Lynde so. —
我为自己感到非常羞愧。但我就是想不出去告诉琳达夫人。 —

It would be so humiliating. I made up my mind I’d stay shut up here forever rather than do that. —
那太丢人了。我下定决心宁愿一直关在这里也不做那种事。 —

But still—I’d do anything for you—if you really want me to—”
“但是—如果你真的想要的话,我会为你做任何事情—”

“Well now, of course I do. It’s terrible lonesome downstairs without you. —
“那么,当然我想要。没有你楼下太孤单了。 —

Just go and smooth things over—that’s a good girl.”
去摊开事实-好姑娘。”

“Very well,” said Anne resignedly. “I’ll tell Marilla as soon as she comes in I’ve repented.”
“很好,”安妮无奈地说。“我会等玛丽拉回来告诉她我已经忏悔了。”

“That’s right—that’s right, Anne. But don’t tell Marilla I said anything about it. —
“对,对,安妮。但不要告诉玛丽拉我说了什么。她可能会觉得我管得太多,我答应过不会这样做。” —

She might think I was putting my oar in and I promised not to do that.”
她可能会觉得我管得太多,我答应过不会这样做。”

“Wild horses won’t drag the secret from me,” promised Anne solemnly. —
“野马也绝对不能从我这里引出这个秘密,”安妮郑重承诺。 —

“How would wild horses drag a secret from a person anyhow?”
“野马又怎么能够引出一个秘密呢?”

But Matthew was gone, scared at his own success. —
但是马修已经走开了,他自己吓了一跳。 —

He fled hastily to the remotest corner of the horse pasture lest Marilla should suspect what he had been up to. —
他匆忙逃到马场最偏僻的角落,生怕玛丽拉会怀疑他在搞什么鬼。 —

Marilla herself, upon her return to the house, was agreeably surprised to hear a plaintive voice calling, “Marilla” over the banisters.
玛丽拉回到房子后,听到楼梯扶手上传来一声哀怨的声音,“玛丽拉”。

“Well?” she said, going into the hall.
“怎么了?”她走进大厅。

“I’m sorry I lost my temper and said rude things, and I’m willing to go and tell Mrs. Lynde so.”
“我很抱歉我发脾气说了粗话,我愿意去告诉琳德夫人。”

“Very well.” Marilla’s crispness gave no sign of her relief. —
“很好。” 玛丽拉干脆利落的语气没有显示出她的欣慰之情。 —

She had been wondering what under the canopy she should do if Anne did not give in. —
玛丽拉一直在想,如果安妮不妥协,她该怎么办。 —

“I’ll take you down after milking.”
“挤奶完后我带你去。”

Accordingly, after milking, behold Marilla and Anne walking down the lane, the former erect and triumphant, the latter drooping and dejected. —
于是,在挤完奶后,玛丽拉和安妮走在小路上,前者挺拔而得意,后者低头丧气。 —

But halfway down Anne’s dejection vanished as if by enchantment. —
但是在半路处,安妮的沮丧像被魔术般消失了。 —

She lifted her head and stepped lightly along, her eyes fixed on the sunset sky and an air of subdued exhilaration about her. —
她抬起头,轻快地走着,目光落在日落的天空上,周围充满了一种被压抑的愉快感。 —

Marilla beheld the change disapprovingly. —
玛丽拉不赞成地看着这种变化。 —

This was no meek penitent such as it behooved her to take into the presence of the offended Mrs. Lynde.
这不是她应该带到被冒犯的林德太太面前的温顺忏悔者。

“What are you thinking of, Anne?” she asked sharply.
“安妮,你在想什么?”她尖声问道。

“I’m imagining out what I must say to Mrs. Lynde,” answered Anne dreamily.
“我在幻想我该对林德太太说些什么,”安妮梦幻般地回答道。

This was satisfactory—or should have been so. —
这是令人满意的——或者应该是这样的。 —

But Marilla could not rid herself of the notion that something in her scheme of punishment was going askew. —
但是玛丽拉始终无法摆脱一个念头,即她的惩罚计划中有些地方出了问题。 —

Anne had no business to look so rapt and radiant.
安妮没有理由看起来如此入神和光彩照人。

Rapt and radiant Anne continued until they were in the very presence of Mrs. Lynde, who was sitting knitting by her kitchen window. —
在林德太太坐在厨房窗前织毛衣时,入神明媚的安妮一直持续着,直到他们来到她的面前。 —

Then the radiance vanished. Mournful penitence appeared on every feature. —
然后光彩消失了。悲伤的忏悔出现在她的每一个表情上。 —

Before a word was spoken Anne suddenly went down on her knees before the astonished Mrs. Rachel and held out her hands beseechingly.
话未出口,安妮突然跪在惊讶的林德太太面前,双手哀求地伸出。

“Oh, Mrs. Lynde, I am so extremely sorry,” she said with a quiver in her voice. —
“哦,林德太太,我非常抱歉,”她的声音颤抖着说道。 —

“I could never express all my sorrow, no, not if I used up a whole dictionary. —
“我永远无法表达我的遗憾,哦,就算我用尽整本字典也不行。 —

You must just imagine it. I behaved terribly to you—and I’ve disgraced the dear friends, Matthew and Marilla, who have let me stay at Green Gables although I’m not a boy. —
你必须想象一下。我对你的行为非常糟糕——我让那些让我留在绿谷小筑的亲爱的朋友马修和玛丽拉感到羞愧,虽然我不是男孩。 —

I’m a dreadfully wicked and ungrateful girl, and I deserve to be punished and cast out by respectable people forever. —
我是一个非常邪恶和忘恩负义的女孩,我应该受到惩罚,并被体面的人永远遗弃。 —

It was very wicked of me to fly into a temper because you told me the truth. It was the truth; —
我生气是因为你告诉了我真相,这是非常邪恶的。但这就是实情; —

every word you said was true. My hair is red and I’m freckled and skinny and ugly. —
你说的每句话都是真的。我的头发是红色的,我长着雀斑,又瘦又丑。 —

What I said to you was true, too, but I shouldn’t have said it. —
我对你说的也是真话,但我不应该说出口。 —

Oh, Mrs. Lynde, please, please, forgive me. —
哦,琳德太太,请,请原谅我。 —

If you refuse it will be a lifelong sorrow on a poor little orphan girl, would you, even if she had a dreadful temper? —
如果你拒绝,那会是一个孤儿女孩一生的悲伤,你会吗,即使她有可怕的脾气? —

Oh, I am sure you wouldn’t. Please say you forgive me, Mrs. Lynde.”
哦,我相信你不会。请说你原谅我,琳德太太。”

Anne clasped her hands together, bowed her head, and waited for the word of judgment.
安妮双手合十,低头等待着裁决。

There was no mistaking her sincerity—it breathed in every tone of her voice. —
她的真诚无疑,浸透在每一个音调中。 —

Both Marilla and Mrs. Lynde recognized its unmistakable ring. —
玛丽拉和琳德太太都认识到了这种不容置疑的感觉。 —

But the former under-stood in dismay that Anne was actually enjoying her valley of humiliation—was reveling in the thoroughness of her abasement. —
但玛丽拉惊慌地意识到,安妮实际上正在享受她的屈辱之谷,陶醉在她的谦卑之中。 —

Where was the wholesome punishment upon which she, Marilla, had plumed herself? —
她所炫耀的人身惩罚去哪里了? —

Anne had turned it into a species of positive pleasure.
安妮把这种惩罚变成了一种积极的快乐。

Good Mrs. Lynde, not being overburdened with perception, did not see this. —
良善的琳德太太并不太理解这一点。 —

She only perceived that Anne had made a very thorough apology and all resentment vanished from her kindly, if somewhat officious, heart.
她只看到安妮作了一个非常彻底的道歉,所有的怨恨都从她友好(尽管有些专断)的心中消失了。

“There, there, get up, child,” she said heartily. “Of course I forgive you. —
“好了,好了,起来吧,孩子,”她热情地说道。“当然我原谅你。 —

I guess I was a little too hard on you, anyway. But I’m such an outspoken person. —
我想我之前可能对你太苛刻了。但我就是一个直言不讳的人。 —

You just mustn’t mind me, that’s what. It can’t be denied your hair is terrible red; —
你只是不要在意我就好了。不可否认,你的头发确实非常红。 —

but I knew a girl once—went to school with her, in fact—whose hair was every mite as red as yours when she was young, but when she grew up it darkened to a real handsome auburn. —
但我认识一个女孩——实际上是和她一起上学的——她小时候的头发和你的一样红,长大后变成了一种真正漂亮的赤褐色。 —

I wouldn’t be a mite surprised if yours did, too—not a mite.”
如果你的头发也变成那样,我一点也不会感到惊讶——一点也不会。

“Oh, Mrs. Lynde!” Anne drew a long breath as she rose to her feet. “You have given me a hope. —
“哦,琳德夫人!”安妮站起身来,深深地吸了口气。 “你给了我一个希望。 —

I shall always feel that you are a benefactor. —
我会永远觉得你是个恩人。 —

Oh, I could endure anything if I only thought my hair would be a handsome auburn when I grew up. —
如果我认为长大后我的头发会变成漂亮的赤褐色,我可以忍受任何事。 —

It would be so much easier to be good if one’s hair was a handsome auburn, don’t you think? —
如果一个人的头发是漂亮的赤褐色,要做好人就容易得多,你不觉得吗? —

And now may I go out into your garden and sit on that bench under the apple-trees while you and Marilla are talking? —
玛丽拉和你谈话的时候,我可以去您的花园,在苹果树下的长凳上坐一会吗? —

There is so much more scope for imagination out there.”
那里更有想象的余地。”

“Laws, yes, run along, child. And you can pick a bouquet of them white June lilies over in the corner if you like.”
“是的,去吧,孩子。你可以在那个角落采摘一束白色的六月百合花。”

As the door closed behind Anne Mrs. Lynde got briskly up to light a lamp.
当安妮关上门后,琳德夫人干脆地站起来点了一盏灯。

“She’s a real odd little thing. Take this chair, Marilla; —
“她真是一个古怪的小家伙。玛丽拉,坐这个椅子; —

it’s easier than the one you’ve got; I just keep that for the hired boy to sit on. —
比你那个更舒服;我留着那个给雇工坐。 —

Yes, she certainly is an odd child, but there is something kind of taking about her after all. —
是的,她确实是一个古怪的孩子,但综合起来还是有点吸引人的。” —

I don’t feel so surprised at you and Matthew keeping her as I did—nor so sorry for you, either. —
我对你和马修要养她并不感到太惊讶,也不觉得太难过。 —

She may turn out all right. Of course, she has a queer way of expressing herself—a little too—well, too kind of forcible, you know; —
她可能会变得很好。 当然,她表达自己的方式有点奇怪,有点过于—嗯,太强烈了,你知道的; —

but she’ll likely get over that now that she’s come to live among civilized folks. —
但既然她来到文明人中间生活,她可能会改变。 —

And then, her temper’s pretty quick, I guess; —
而且,她脾气相当急躁,我猜; —

but there’s one comfort, a child that has a quick temper, just blaze up and cool down, ain’t never likely to be sly or deceitful. —
但有一个慰藉,一个脾气急躁的孩子,能激动然后冷静下来,永远不太可能狡猾或欺骗。 —

Preserve me from a sly child, that’s what. —
要我远离一个狡猾的孩子,就是这样。 —

On the whole, Marilla, I kind of like her.”
总的来说,玛丽拉,我有点喜欢她。”

When Marilla went home Anne came out of the fragrant twilight of the orchard with a sheaf of white narcissi in her hands.
当玛丽拉回家时,安妮手里拿着一捆白色水仙花走出了果园中芬芳的黄昏。

“I apologized pretty well, didn’t I?” she said proudly as they went down the lane. —
“我道歉做得相当好,不是吗?”他们走在小路上时,她自豪地说。 —

“I thought since I had to do it I might as well do it thoroughly.”
“我想既然我必须这么做,我就该彻底做好。”

“You did it thoroughly, all right enough,” was Marilla’s comment. —
“你确实做得很彻底,” 玛丽拉的评价。 —

Marilla was dismayed at finding herself inclined to laugh over the recollection. —
玛丽拉发现自己居然倾向于回忆起笑声,感到困惑。 —

She had also an uneasy feeling that she ought to scold Anne for apologizing so well; —
她也有一种不安的感觉,觉得自己应该训斥安妮道歉得太好了; —

but then, that was ridiculous! She compromised with her conscience by saying severely:
但那太荒谬了!她严肃地对自己的良心说:

“I hope you won’t have occasion to make many more such apologies. —
“希望你不会有很多这样的道歉机会。 —

I hope you’ll try to control your temper now, Anne.”
我希望你现在会努力控制自己的脾气,安妮。”

“That wouldn’t be so hard if people wouldn’t twit me about my looks,” said Anne with a sigh. —
“如果人们不总是拿我的外貌取笑我,那就不会那么难受了,”安妮叹了口气说。 —

“I don’t get cross about other things; —
“我对其他事情并不会发脾气; —

but I’m so tired of being twitted about my hair and it just makes me boil right over. —
但那些关于我的头发的取笑让我真的很生气。 —

Do you suppose my hair will really be a handsome auburn when I grow up?”
你认为等我长大了,我的头发真的会成为漂亮的赤褐色吗?”

“You shouldn’t think so much about your looks, Anne. I’m afraid you are a very vain little girl.”
“安妮,你不应该太在意你的外表。我担心你是一个很爱虚荣的小女孩。”

“How can I be vain when I know I’m homely?” protested Anne. “I love pretty things; —
“我知道自己长得难看怎么会虚荣呢?”安妮抗议道。“我喜欢漂亮的东西; —

and I hate to look in the glass and see something that isn’t pretty. —
看到镜子里的自己不漂亮真让我感到悲伤。 —

It makes me feel so sorrowful—just as I feel when I look at any ugly thing. —
这让我觉得和看到任何难看的东西一样难过。 —

I pity it because it isn’t beautiful.”
我会同情它,因为它并不美丽。”

“Handsome is as handsome does,” quoted Marilla. —
“英俊不能决定一切,”玛丽拉引用道。 —

“I’ve had that said to me before, but I have my doubts about it,” remarked skeptical Anne, sniffing at her narcissi. —
“我以前听过这句话,但我对此表示怀疑,”怀疑的安妮嗅着她的水仙花说。 —

“Oh, aren’t these flowers sweet! It was lovely of Mrs. Lynde to give them to me. —
“哦,这些花真香!琳迪夫人给我这些花真是太可爱了。 —

I have no hard feelings against Mrs. Lynde now. —
我现在对琳迪夫人没有怨恨了。 —

It gives you a lovely, comfortable feeling to apologize and be forgiven, doesn’t it? —
道歉并得到原谅真的让人感到愉悦、舒适,不是吗? —

Aren’t the stars bright tonight? If you could live in a star, which one would you pick? —
今晚星星不是很亮吗?如果你能住在一颗星星里,你会选择哪颗? —

I’d like that lovely clear big one away over there above that dark hill.”
“我想要那颗可爱明亮的大星星,就在那座黑暗山丘的上方。”

“Anne, do hold your tongue,” said Marilla, thoroughly worn out trying to follow the gyrations of Anne’s thoughts.
“安妮,闭上你的嘴吧,”玛丽拉说道,试图跟上安妮思绪的旋转,已经筋疲力尽了。

Anne said no more until they turned into their own lane. —
安妮直到她们转进自家的小径才没有再说话。 —

A little gypsy wind came down it to meet them, laden with the spicy perfume of young dew-wet ferns. —
一阵小小的吉普赛风带着泥洲蕨清晨的芬芳迎面而来。 —

Far up in the shadows a cheerful light gleamed out through the trees from the kitchen at Green Gables. —
在树荫中,远处的绿山小屋的厨房透过树木中散发着一抹欢快的光亮。 —

Anne suddenly came close to Marilla and slipped her hand into the older woman’s hard palm.
突然间,安妮走近玛丽拉,将她的手滑进这位年长女士坚实的掌心。

“It’s lovely to be going home and know it’s home,” she said. —
“回家的感觉真好,而且知道那是我们的家,”她说。 —

“I love Green Gables already, and I never loved any place before. No place ever seemed like home. —
“我已经爱上了绿山小屋,而之前我从来没有爱过任何地方。没有一个地方曾让我觉得像家。 —

Oh, Marilla, I’m so happy. I could pray right now and not find it a bit hard.”
哦,玛丽拉,我好开心,我现在甚至可以立刻虔诚地祷告。”

Something warm and pleasant welled up in Marilla’s heart at touch of that thin little hand in her own—a throb of the maternity she had missed, perhaps. —
玛丽拉的心中涌起了一种温暖而愉悦的感觉,由于这细小的手碰触,也许是她错过的母性之情。 —

Its very unaccustomedness and sweetness disturbed her. —
那样的不寻常和甜蜜让她感到不安。 —

She hastened to restore her sensations to their normal calm by inculcating a moral.
她赶忙通过灌输道德来恢复自己的正常感受。

“If you’ll be a good girl you’ll always be happy, Anne. And you should never find it hard to say your prayers.”
“如果你做好孩子,你会一直很幸福,安妮。而且你应该不会觉得祷告很难说。”

“Saying one’s prayers isn’t exactly the same thing as praying,” said Anne meditatively. —
“说祷告并不完全等同于真正祈祷,”安妮在思考着说道。 —

“But I’m going to imagine that I’m the wind that is blowing up there in those tree tops. —
“但我将假设自己就是在那些树梢上吹过的风。 —

When I get tired of the trees I’ll imagine I’m gently waving down here in the ferns—and then I’ll fly over to Mrs. Lynde’s garden and set the flowers dancing—and then I’ll go with one great swoop over the clover field—and then I’ll blow over the Lake of Shining Waters and ripple it all up into little sparkling waves. —
当我厌倦了树木,我会想象自己温柔地摇曳在这些蕨丛中——然后我会飞到琳德夫人的花园,让花朵起舞——然后我会一口气飞过苜蓿田——然后我会吹过《闪亮之湖》,把它吹成一片闪闪发光的小波纹。 —

Oh, there’s so much scope for imagination in a wind! —
哦,风中有如此广阔的想象空间! —

So I’ll not talk any more just now, Marilla.”
所以我现在就不再说话了,玛丽拉。”

“Thanks be to goodness for that,” breathed Marilla in devout relief.
“谢天谢地,”玛丽拉由衷地松了口气。