It is Mrs. Higgins’s at-home day. Nobody has yet arrived. —
这是希金斯夫人在家的日子,还没有人到达。 —

Her drawing-room, in a flat on Chelsea embankment, has three windows looking on the river; —
她的客厅位于切尔西堤岸的一套公寓里,有三扇朝向河流的窗户; —

and the ceiling is not so lofty as it would be in an older house of the same pretension. —
天花板并不像同样自命不凡的老房子那样高大。 —

The windows are open, giving access to a balcony with flowers in pots. —
窗户是敞开的,通往一个有花盆的阳台。 —

If you stand with your face to the windows, you have the fireplace on your left and the door in the right-hand wall close to the corner nearest the windows.
如果你面向窗户站立,你会在左边看到壁炉,门在靠近窗户的右墙角附近。

Mrs. Higgins was brought up on Morris and Burne Jones; —
希金斯夫人在莫里斯和伯恩-琼斯的熏陶下长大; —

and her room, which is very unlike her son’s room in Wimpole Street, is not crowded with furniture and little tables and nicknacks. —
她的房间与威姆普尔街上她儿子的房间非常不同,没有摆满家具、小桌和小玩意。 —

In the middle of the room there is a big ottoman; —
房间中间有一个大大的脚凳; —

and this, with the carpet, the Morris wall-papers, and the Morris chintz window curtains and brocade covers of the ottoman and its cushions, supply all the ornament, and are much too handsome to be hidden by odds and ends of useless things. —
这个脚凳以及地毯、莫里斯的墙纸、莫里斯印花窗帘和脚凳以及它的坐垫所以供了所有的装饰,它们太华丽了,不能被无用的东西所遮掩。 —

A few good oil-paintings from the exhibitions in the Grosvenor Gallery thirty years ago (the Burne Jones, not the Whistler side of them) are on the walls. —
四十年前在格罗夫纳画廊举办的展览中有几幅出色的油画(不是惠斯勒的那一边)挂在墙上。 —

The only landscape is a Cecil Lawson on the scale of a Rubens. —
唯一的风景画是一幅塞西尔·劳森的作品,规模与鲁本斯的作品相当。 —

There is a portrait of Mrs. Higgins as she was when she defied fashion in her youth in one of the beautiful Rossettian costumes which, when caricatured by people who did not understand, led to the absurdities of popular estheticism in the eighteen-seventies.
在门对角处有一幅画像,描绘的是希金斯夫人年轻时不顾时尚的形象,她穿着一套漂亮的罗塞蒂风格的服装,当时不懂得欣赏的人对此进行了滑稽的漫画创作,导致了十九世纪七十年代流行的艺术学派走向荒谬。

In the corner diagonally opposite the door Mrs. Higgins, now over sixty and long past taking the trouble to dress out of the fashion, sits writing at an elegantly simple writing-table with a bell button within reach of her hand. —
在门的对角处,现年六十多岁的希金斯夫人坐在一张优雅简约的写字桌旁,手边放着一个铃铛按钮。 —

There is a Chippendale chair further back in the room between her and the window nearest her side. —
室内有一把乔治·查宾代尔式的椅子,靠近希金斯夫人的那扇窗户。 —

At the other side of the room, further forward, is an Elizabethan chair roughly carved in the taste of Inigo Jones. On the same side a piano in a decorated case. —
房间的另一边更前面有一把以尤尼戈·琼斯风格大致雕刻的伊丽莎白时代椅子。同一边还有一架外观装饰精美的钢琴。 —

The corner between the fireplace and the window is occupied by a divan cushioned in Morris chintz.
火炉和窗户之间的角落里放着一张用莫里斯花呢布料垫住的长沙发。

It is between four and five in the afternoon.
现在是下午四五点钟左右。

The door is opened violently; and Higgins enters with his hat on.
门被猛力推开,希金斯戴着帽子走了进来。

MRS. HIGGINS [dismayed] Henry! [scolding him] What are you doing here to-day? It is my at home day: —
HIGGINS夫人【失望地】亨利!【责备他】你今天在这里做什么?这是我接待客人的日子: —

you promised not to come. [As he bends to kiss her, she takes his hat off, and presents it to him].
你答应不来的。【当他弯下身来亲吻她时,她拿走他的帽子,并递给他】。

HIGGINS. Oh bother! [He throws the hat down on the table].
HIGGINS. 哎呀,烦死了!【他把帽子丢在桌子上】。

MRS. HIGGINS. Go home at once.
HIGGINS夫人 立刻回家。

HIGGINS [kissing her] I know, mother. I came on purpose.
HIGGINS【亲吻她】我知道,妈妈。我特地来的。

MRS. HIGGINS. But you mustn’t. I’m serious, Henry. You offend all my friends: —
HIGGINS夫人 但你不能来。我是认真的,亨利。你冒犯了我所有的朋友: —

they stop coming whenever they meet you.
他们一见到你,就停止来访。

HIGGINS. Nonsense! I know I have no small talk; but people don’t mind. [He sits on the settee].
HIGGINS 废话!我知道我不会闲聊;但人们不会介意。【他坐在长椅上】。

MRS. HIGGINS. Oh! don’t they? Small talk indeed! —
HIGGINS夫人 哦!是吗?闲聊? —

What about your large talk? Really, dear, you mustn’t stay.
你大话呢?真的,亲爱的,你不能留下。

HIGGINS. I must. I’ve a job for you. A phonetic job.
HIGGINS 我必须。我有一项工作要请你办。一个语音学的工作。

MRS. HIGGINS. No use, dear. I’m sorry; but I can’t get round your vowels; —
HIGGINS夫人 唉,没用,亲爱的。对不起;但是我无法理解你的元音; —

and though I like to get pretty postcards in your patent shorthand, I always have to read the copies in ordinary writing you so thoughtfully send me.
虽然我喜欢在你的专利速记中收到漂亮的明信片,但我总是不得不读普通手写的副本,你如此周到地寄给我。

HIGGINS. Well, this isn’t a phonetic job.
HIGGINS 哦,这不是一个语音学的工作。

MRS. HIGGINS. You said it was.
希金斯夫人:你说的没错。

HIGGINS. Not your part of it. I’ve picked up a girl.
希金斯:不是你说的那部分。我接到了一个女孩。

MRS. HIGGINS. Does that mean that some girl has picked you up?
希金斯夫人:那是不是意味着有一个女孩追你?

HIGGINS. Not at all. I don’t mean a love affair.
希金斯:完全不是。我不是指恋爱。

MRS. HIGGINS. What a pity!
希金斯夫人:真可惜!

HIGGINS. Why?
希金斯:为什么?

MRS. HIGGINS. Well, you never fall in love with anyone under forty-five. —
希金斯夫人:嗯,你从来不会爱上四十五岁以下的女人。 —

When will you discover that there are some rather nice-looking young women about?
你什么时候才会发现周围有一些相当漂亮的年轻女性呢?

HIGGINS. Oh, I can’t be bothered with young women. —
希金斯:哦,我不能被年轻女性所打扰。 —

My idea of a loveable woman is something as like you as possible. —
我心目中可爱的女人,是和你尽可能相似的。 —

I shall never get into the way of seriously liking young women: —
我永远不会真正喜欢年轻女性: —

some habits lie too deep to be changed. [Rising abruptly and walking about, jingling his money and his keys in his trouser pockets] Besides, they’re all idiots.
有些习惯根深蒂固,无法改变。【突然站起来四处走动,口袋里的钱和钥匙发出叮当声】再说,她们都是白痴。

MRS. HIGGINS. Do you know what you would do if you really loved me, Henry?
希金斯夫人:如果你真的爱我,你知道你会做什么吗,亨利?

HIGGINS. Oh bother! What? Marry, I suppose?
希金斯:哦烦死了!做什么?结婚吗?

MRS. HIGGINS. No. Stop fidgeting and take your hands out of your pockets. —
希金斯夫人:不,别乱动,把手从口袋里拿出来。 —

[With a gesture of despair, he obeys and sits down again]. —
[他无奈地做了个手势,重新坐下来]. —

That’s a good boy. Now tell me about the girl.
“乖孩子,现在告诉我关于那个女孩的事情.”

HIGGINS. She’s coming to see you.
HIGGINS:“她要来见你.”

MRS. HIGGINS. I don’t remember asking her.
MRS. HIGGINS:“我不记得有请她来.”

HIGGINS. You didn’t. I asked her. If you’d known her you wouldn’t have asked her.
HIGGINS:“你没请她来。是我请她来的。如果你认识她你就不会请她来.”

MRS. HIGGINS. Indeed! Why?
MRS. HIGGINS:“真的吗?为什么?”

HIGGINS. Well, it’s like this. She’s a common flower girl. I picked her off the kerbstone.
HIGGINS:“嗯,就是这样。她是一个普通的花女孩。我从路边把她挑选出来.”

MRS. HIGGINS. And invited her to my at-home!
MRS. HIGGINS:“然后你邀请她来我家?”

HIGGINS [rising and coming to her to coax her] Oh, that’ll be all right. —
HIGGINS [起身走向她,哄她说]:“哦,那没关系的。我已经教她说话的方式了;而且我对她的行为有着明确的规定. —

I’ve taught her to speak properly; and she has strict orders as to her behavior. —
她只谈两个主题:天气和大家的身体健康——好天气、你好吗,你知道的——不要随意涉及其他事情。这样就安全了. —

She’s to keep to two subjects: the weather and everybody’s health—Fine day and How do you do, you know—and not to let herself go on things in general. That will be safe.
MRS. HIGGINS:“安全!谈论我们的健康!还有我们的内在!也许还有我们的外在!你怎么这么傻,Henry?”

MRS. HIGGINS. Safe! To talk about our health! about our insides! —
HIGGINS [不耐烦地]:“嗯,她总要谈点什么.” —

perhaps about our outsides! How could you be so silly, Henry?
MRS. HIGGINS:“嗯,她得谈点什么。”

HIGGINS [impatiently] Well, she must talk about something. —
HIGGINS [不耐烦地]:“嗯,她总要谈点什么。” —

[He controls himself and sits down again]. Oh, she’ll be all right: don’t you fuss. —
[他控制住自己,又坐下来]。哦,她会没事的:你别瞎操心。 —

Pickering is in it with me. I’ve a sort of bet on that I’ll pass her off as a duchess in six months. I started on her some months ago; —
皮克林格和我一起进行这个计划。我有一个赌约,说我可以在六个月内把她冒充成公爵夫人。几个月前我就开始训练她; —

and she’s getting on like a house on fire. I shall win my bet. She has a quick ear; —
她进展神速,学得飞快。我一定会赢的。她听觉很敏锐; —

and she’s been easier to teach than my middle-class pupils because she’s had to learn a complete new language. —
相对于我那些中产阶级的学生,她要容易教一些,因为她必须学习一种全新的语言。 —

She talks English almost as you talk French.
她几乎能说英语就像你说法语一样。

MRS. HIGGINS. That’s satisfactory, at all events.
希金斯太太。那就满意了,至少。

HIGGINS. Well, it is and it isn’t.
希金斯。嗯,或许是满意吧。

MRS. HIGGINS. What does that mean?
希金斯太太。那是什么意思?

HIGGINS. You see, I’ve got her pronunciation all right; —
希金斯。你看,我已经把她的发音调整得不错; —

but you have to consider not only how a girl pronounces, but what she pronounces; —
可是你不仅仅要考虑一个女孩的发音,还要考虑她所说的内容; —

and that’s where—
这正是问题的所在——

They are interrupted by the parlor-maid, announcing guests.
此时有客人打断了他们,女仆出现并宣布客人。

THE PARLOR-MAID. Mrs. and Miss Eynsford Hill. [She withdraws].
女仆。埃恩斯福德·希尔夫人和小姐来了。[她退下]。

HIGGINS. Oh Lord! [He rises; snatches his hat from the table; —
希金斯。哦,天哪![他站起身,从桌子上抓起帽子; —

and makes for the door; but before he reaches it his mother introduces him].
他向门口走去;但在他走到门口之前,他的母亲介绍了他。

Mrs. and Miss Eynsford Hill are the mother and daughter who sheltered from the rain in Covent Garden. The mother is well bred, quiet, and has the habitual anxiety of straitened means. —
Mrs. Eynsford Hill 和 Miss Eynsford Hill 是在Covent Garden躲雨的母女。母亲是有良好教养的,安静,经常为拮据的生活担忧。 —

The daughter has acquired a gay air of being very much at home in society: —
女儿给人一种在社交中非常自在的快乐气氛: —

the bravado of genteel poverty.
上流贫穷的傲慢。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [to Mrs. Higgins] How do you do? [They shake hands].
Eynsford Hill 夫人 (向Higgins 夫人) 您好。 (他们握手)。

MISS EYNSFORD HILL. How d’you do? [She shakes].
Eynsford Hill 小姐 您好。 (她握手)。

MRS. HIGGINS [introducing] My son Henry.
Higgins 夫人 (介绍) 我儿子亨利。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. Your celebrated son! I have so longed to meet you, Professor Higgins.
Eynsford Hill 夫人。您那位有名的儿子!我一直渴望见到您,Higgins 教授。

HIGGINS [glumly, making no movement in her direction] Delighted. —
Higgins (闷闷不乐地,没有向她走去) 很高兴。 —

[He backs against the piano and bows brusquely].
(他靠在钢琴上,礼貌地鞠了一躬)。

Miss EYNSFORD HILL [going to him with confident familiarity] How do you do?
Eynsford Hill 小姐(自信地亲近地走向他)您好?

HIGGINS [staring at her] I’ve seen you before somewhere. I haven’t the ghost of a notion where; —
Higgins (盯着她) 我以前在某地见过你,我不知道具体是哪里; —

but I’ve heard your voice. [Drearily] It doesn’t matter. —
但我听过你的声音。 (沉闷地) 没关系。 —

You’d better sit down.
你最好坐下。

MRS. HIGGINS. I’m sorry to say that my celebrated son has no manners. You mustn’t mind him.
邹斯夫人。很抱歉,我得说我那个著名的儿子没有礼貌。您不必在意他。

MISS EYNSFORD HILL [gaily] I don’t. [She sits in the Elizabethan chair].
埃恩斯福德希尔小姐(开心地)我不在意的。 (她坐在伊丽莎白时代的椅子上)。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [a little bewildered] Not at all. —
埃恩斯福德希尔太太(有点困惑)一点都不在意。 —

[She sits on the ottoman between her daughter and Mrs. Higgins, who has turned her chair away from the writing-table].
(她坐在女儿和邹斯夫人之间的软靠椅上,邹斯夫人已经将她的椅子背对着写字台)。

HIGGINS. Oh, have I been rude? I didn’t mean to be. —
希金斯。哦,我有失礼吗?我不是有意的。 —

[He goes to the central window, through which, with his back to the company, he contemplates the river and the flowers in Battersea Park on the opposite bank as if they were a frozen dessert.]
(他走到中央的窗户,背对着大家,凝视着对岸巴特西公园中的河流和花朵,仿佛它们是冰冻的甜点一样)。

The parlor-maid returns, ushering in Pickering.
女仆回来了,护送着皮克林。

THE PARLOR-MAID. Colonel Pickering [She withdraws].
女仆。皮克林上校。(她退后)。

PICKERING. How do you do, Mrs. Higgins?
皮克林。邹斯夫人,你好吗?

MRS. HIGGINS. So glad you’ve come. Do you know Mrs. Eynsford Hill—Miss Eynsford Hill? —
邹斯夫人。很高兴你来了。你认识埃恩斯福德希尔夫人和埃恩斯福德希尔小姐吗? —

[Exchange of bows. The Colonel brings the Chippendale chair a little forward between Mrs. Hill and Mrs. Higgins, and sits down].
(他们互相鞠躬。上校将雕花椅稍微移动到希尔夫人和邹斯夫人之间,并坐下)。

PICKERING. Has Henry told you what we’ve come for?
皮克林。亨利告诉你我们为了什么而来了吗?

HIGGINS [over his shoulder] We were interrupted: damn it!
HIGGINS [背过身来] 我们被打断了:该死!

MRS. HIGGINS. Oh Henry, Henry, really!
MRS. HIGGINS. 哦,亨利,亨利,真的!

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [half rising] Are we in the way?
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [半站起身] 我们挡到你们了吗?

MRS. HIGGINS [rising and making her sit down again] No, no. —
MRS. HIGGINS [站起来并让她再坐下] 不,不。 —

You couldn’t have come more fortunately: —
你来得再恰好不过了: —

we want you to meet a friend of ours.
我们想让你见见我们的一个朋友。

HIGGINS [turning hopefully] Yes, by George! —
HIGGINS [希望地转身] 是的,天哪! —

We want two or three people. You’ll do as well as anybody else.
我们需要两三个人。你做得和其他人一样好。

The parlor-maid returns, ushering Freddy.
女侍返回,引导着弗雷迪进来。

THE PARLOR-MAID. Mr. Eynsford Hill.
侍女. 爱因斯福德·希尔先生。

HIGGINS [almost audibly, past endurance] God of Heaven! another of them.
HIGGINS [忍不住地,几乎可听见] 天哪!又来一个。

FREDDY [shaking hands with Mrs. Higgins] Ahdedo?
FREDDY [与希金斯夫人握手] 哈第多?

MRS. HIGGINS. Very good of you to come. [Introducing] Colonel Pickering.
MRS. HIGGINS. 你能来真是太好了。[介绍] 皮克林上校。

FREDDY [bowing] Ahdedo?
FREDDY [鞠躬] 哈第多?

MRS. HIGGINS. I don’t think you know my son, Professor Higgins.
MRS. HIGGINS. 我想你不认识我儿子,希金斯教授。

FREDDY [going to Higgins] Ahdedo?
FREDDY【走向希金斯】啊哈蒂德?

HIGGINS [looking at him much as if he were a pickpocket] I’ll take my oath I’ve met you before somewhere. Where was it?
HIGGINS【像和扒手一样看着他】我敢发誓,在某个地方我曾经遇见过你。在哪里?

FREDDY. I don’t think so.
FREDDY. 我想不是的。

HIGGINS [resignedly] It don’t matter, anyhow. Sit down. —
HIGGINS【无奈地】不重要,反正。坐下。 —

He shakes Freddy’s hand, and almost slings him on the ottoman with his face to the windows; —
他握住Fredd的手,几乎把他甩到窗前的垫脚凳上; —

then comes round to the other side of it.
然后走到垫脚凳的另一侧。

HIGGINS. Well, here we are, anyhow! [He sits down on the ottoman next Mrs. Eynsford Hill, on her left. —
HIGGINS. 好吧,反正我们在这里了!【他坐在窗前垫脚凳上的Mrs. Eynsford Hill旁边,她的左边。】 —

] And now, what the devil are we going to talk about until Eliza comes?
【如今,我们该在这里聊些什么鬼东西等到Eliza来吗?】

MRS. HIGGINS. Henry: you are the life and soul of the Royal Society’s soirees; —
MRS. HIGGINS. 亨利:你是皇家学会功夫招待会的灵魂; —

but really you’re rather trying on more commonplace occasions.
但是在一些平凡的场合,你真的有点让人受不了。

HIGGINS. Am I? Very sorry. [Beaming suddenly] I suppose I am, you know. [Uproariously] Ha, ha!
HIGGINS. 是吗?非常抱歉。【突然笑了起来】我可以这样,你知道。【欢笑着】哈哈!

MISS EYNSFORD HILL [who considers Higgins quite eligible matrimonially] I sympathize. —
MISS EYNSFORD HILL【认为Higgins婚姻条件很合适】我同情你。 —

I haven’t any small talk. If people would only be frank and say what they really think!
我不懂寒暄。如果人们能坦诚直言,说出自己真实的想法!

HIGGINS [relapsing into gloom] Lord forbid!
希金斯[陷入忧郁中]愿主保佑!

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [taking up her daughter’s cue] But why?
埃恩斯福德·希尔夫人[接上她女儿的话]但为什么?

HIGGINS. What they think they ought to think is bad enough, Lord knows; —
希金斯。他们认为他们应该怎么想已经够糟糕了,天晓得; —

but what they really think would break up the whole show. —
但是他们真正的想法会破坏整个演出。 —

Do you suppose it would be really agreeable if I were to come out now with what I really think?
你们认为如果我现在说出我真正的想法,会是多么愉快?

MISS EYNSFORD HILL [gaily] Is it so very cynical?
伊恩斯福德·希尔小姐[愉快地]它是如此的愤世嫉俗吗?

HIGGINS. Cynical! Who the dickens said it was cynical? I mean it wouldn’t be decent.
希金斯。愤世嫉俗!谁说是愤世嫉俗了?我的意思是这不像个正派人该说的话。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [seriously] Oh! I’m sure you don’t mean that, Mr. Higgins.
埃恩斯福德·希尔夫人[认真地]噢!我敢肯定你不是这个意思,希金斯先生。

HIGGINS. You see, we’re all savages, more or less. —
希金斯。你看,我们都是野蛮人,或多或少。 —

We’re supposed to be civilized and cultured—to know all about poetry and philosophy and art and science, and so on; —
我们被认为是文明和有修养的 - 要懂得有关诗歌、哲学、艺术和科学的一切; —

but how many of us know even the meanings of these names? —
但我们有多少人甚至知道这些名字的含义? —

[To Miss Hill] What do you know of poetry? [To Mrs. Hill] What do you know of science? —
[对希尔小姐]你对诗歌了解多少?[对希尔夫人]你对科学了解多少? —

[Indicating Freddy] What does he know of art or science or anything else? —
[指着弗雷迪]他对艺术或科学或任何其他事情了解多少? —

What the devil do you imagine I know of philosophy?
你以为我对哲学知道些什么鬼东西?

MRS. HIGGINS [warningly] Or of manners, Henry?
HIGGINS夫人【警告地】还是不懂礼仪的例子吗,亨利?

THE PARLOR-MAID [opening the door] Miss Doolittle. [She withdraws].
侍女【打开门】杜利波小姐【她退了出去】。

HIGGINS [rising hastily and running to Mrs. Higgins] Here she is, mother. —
HIGGINS【急忙站起来,跑到夫人面前】她来了,妈妈。 —

[He stands on tiptoe and makes signs over his mother’s head to Eliza to indicate to her which lady is her hostess].
【他站在脚尖上,向杜利波比画手势,示意她的女主人是谁】。

Eliza, who is exquisitely dressed, produces an impression of such remarkable distinction and beauty as she enters that they all rise, quite flustered. —
艾丽莎穿着精美,进来时给人一种极其独特和漂亮的印象,所有人都惊讶地站起来。 —

Guided by Higgins’s signals, she comes to Mrs. Higgins with studied grace.
在Higgins的指示下,她优雅地走向Higgins夫人。

LIZA [speaking with pedantic correctness of pronunciation and great beauty of tone] How do you do, Mrs. Higgins? —
李萨【用古板正确的发音和优美的语调】您好,Higgins夫人。 —

[She gasps slightly in making sure of the H in Higgins, but is quite successful]. —
【她在保证Higgins的H音时轻轻喘息,但很成功】。 —

Mr. Higgins told me I might come.
好:

MRS. HIGGINS [cordially] Quite right: I’m very glad indeed to see you.
HIGGINS夫人【热情地】非常正确:我非常高兴见到您。

PICKERING. How do you do, Miss Doolittle?
PICKERING:您好,杜利波小姐。

LIZA [shaking hands with him] Colonel Pickering, is it not?
李萨【与他握手】皮克宁上校,是吗?

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. I feel sure we have met before, Miss Doolittle. I remember your eyes.
聂茨福德夫人:我敢肯定我们以前见过面,杜利特尔小姐。我记得你的眼睛。

LIZA. How do you do? [She sits down on the ottoman gracefully in the place just left vacant by Higgins].
丽莎:你好吗?[她优雅地坐在由希金斯刚刚离开的地方的脚凳上]。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [introducing] My daughter Clara.
聂茨福德夫人:请允许我介绍一下,这是我的女儿克拉拉。

LIZA. How do you do?
丽莎:你好吗?

CLARA [impulsively] How do you do? [She sits down on the ottoman beside Eliza, devouring her with her eyes].
克拉拉:你好吗?[她坐在丽莎旁边的脚凳上,用眼神吞噬着她]。

FREDDY [coming to their side of the ottoman] I’ve certainly had the pleasure.
弗雷迪:我肯定见过你,很高兴。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [introducing] My son Freddy.
聂茨福德夫人:请允许我介绍一下,这是我的儿子弗雷迪。

LIZA. How do you do?
丽莎:你好吗?

Freddy bows and sits down in the Elizabethan chair, infatuated.
弗雷迪鞠躬并坐在伊丽莎白式椅子上,陷入痴迷。

HIGGINS [suddenly] By George, yes: it all comes back to me! —
希金斯:哦天哪,是的,我全都想起来了! —

[They stare at him]. Covent Garden! [Lamentably] What a damned thing!
[他们注视着他]。科芬特花园![可悲地]真是该死的事情!

MRS. HIGGINS. Henry, please! [He is about to sit on the edge of the table]. —
希金斯夫人:亨利,拜托![他正要坐在桌子边缘上]。 —

Don’t sit on my writing-table: you’ll break it.
不要坐在我的写字桌上,会弄坏的。

HIGGINS [sulkily] Sorry.
希金斯:抱歉。

He goes to the divan, stumbling into the fender and over the fire-irons on his way; —
他走向长沙发,绊倒在壁炉架和火棍上。 —

extricating himself with muttered imprecations; —
他咕哝着发出一连串脏话,挣脱开来; —

and finishing his disastrous journey by throwing himself so impatiently on the divan that he almost breaks it. —
最后他灰心地抛身到长椅上,差点将它摔坏。 —

Mrs. Higgins looks at him, but controls herself and says nothing.
希金斯太太看着他,但控制住自己,没有说话。

A long and painful pause ensues.
沉默而漫长的停顿随之而来。

MRS. HIGGINS [at last, conversationally] Will it rain, do you think?
希金斯太太[最后,寒暄地]你认为会下雨吗?

LIZA. The shallow depression in the west of these islands is likely to move slowly in an easterly direction. —
莉萨。这些岛屿西部的浅洼会缓慢向东移动。 —

There are no indications of any great change in the barometrical situation.
在气压方面并没有显示出任何大的变化。

FREDDY. Ha! ha! how awfully funny!
弗雷迪。哈!哈!这也太有趣了!

LIZA. What is wrong with that, young man? I bet I got it right.
莉萨。年轻人,这有什么问题吗?我打赌我答对了。

FREDDY. Killing!
弗雷迪。太逗了!

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. I’m sure I hope it won’t turn cold. —
艾因斯福德希尔夫人。我真希望天气不会转冷。 —

There’s so much influenza about. It runs right through our whole family regularly every spring.
家里流感都严重。每年春天家族里都会传染。

LIZA [darkly] My aunt died of influenza: so they said.
莉萨[暗暗地]我姑姑就是死于流感,他们都这么说。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [clicks her tongue sympathetically]!!!
艾因斯福德希尔夫人[同情地嘴巴发出一声声音]!

LIZA [in the same tragic tone] But it’s my belief they done the old woman in.
莉萨[用同样悲剧的语调]但我相信他们是害死了那个老太婆。

MRS. HIGGINS [puzzled] Done her in?
HIGGINS夫人【困惑地】她被弄死了吗?

LIZA. Y-e-e-e-es, Lord love you! Why should she die of influenza? —
LIZA. 是的,天啊!她怎么会死于流感? —

She come through diphtheria right enough the year before. I saw her with my own eyes. —
她确实在前一年患过白喉。我亲眼看到过她。 —

Fairly blue with it, she was. They all thought she was dead; —
她当时脸都发蓝了。大家都以为她死了; —

but my father he kept ladling gin down her throat til she came to so sudden that she bit the bowl off the spoon.
但是我父亲不停地往她喉咙里灌杜松子酒,直到她突然醒过来,还把勺子的碗咬掉了。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [startled] Dear me!
EYNSFORD HILL夫人【吃惊地】我的天!

LIZA [piling up the indictment] What call would a woman with that strength in her have to die of influenza? —
LIZA【对指控有增加】一个有这样力气的女人怎么会死于流感? —

What become of her new straw hat that should have come to me? —
她那顶本该属于我的新草帽,怎么不见了? —

Somebody pinched it; and what I say is, them as pinched it done her in.
别人把它偷走了;而且我觉得,偷走它的人就是害死她的。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. What does doing her in mean?
EYNSFORD HILL夫人. 什么是“害死她”?

HIGGINS [hastily] Oh, that’s the new small talk. To do a person in means to kill them.
HIGGINS【匆忙地】哦,这是新潮语。害死一个人意味着杀了他。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [to Eliza, horrified] You surely don’t believe that your aunt was killed?
EYNSFORD HILL夫人【对Liza,惊恐地】你真的相信你的姑母是被杀的吗?

LIZA. Do I not! Them she lived with would have killed her for a hat-pin, let alone a hat.
LIZA. 我为什么不相信!和她一起住的人为了一根帽针都会杀她,更别提一顶帽子了。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. But it can’t have been right for your father to pour spirits down her throat like that. —
美夫人爱因斯福德希尔。但是你父亲像那样给她灌酒也不对。 —

It might have killed her.
这可害死她了。

LIZA. Not her. Gin was mother’s milk to her. —
莉萨。不会的。对她来说,杜松子酒就像妈妈的奶一样。 —

Besides, he’d poured so much down his own throat that he knew the good of it.
况且,他自己也喝了很多,所以他知道它的好处。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. Do you mean that he drank?
美夫人爱因斯福德希尔。你是说他喝酒吗?

LIZA. Drank! My word! Something chronic.
莉萨。喝!天哪!常喝。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. How dreadful for you!
美夫人爱因斯福德希尔。你真可怜!

LIZA. Not a bit. It never did him no harm what I could see. But then he did not keep it up regular. —
莉萨。一点也不。我看他没有因此受害。不过他并不经常喝。 —

[Cheerfully] On the burst, as you might say, from time to time. —
[开心地] 偶尔会疯一把。 —

And always more agreeable when he had a drop in. —
而且他喝酒后总是更愉快。 —

When he was out of work, my mother used to give him fourpence and tell him to go out and not come back until he’d drunk himself cheerful and loving-like. —
当我父亲失业时,我母亲会给他四便士,告诉他出去,不要回来,直到他喝得开心和可爱为止。 —

There’s lots of women has to make their husbands drunk to make them fit to live with. —
很多女人就是得让丈夫喝醉才能和他们相处的舒服。 —

[Now quite at her ease] You see, it’s like this. —
[现在相当自在地] 你看,是这样的。 —

If a man has a bit of a conscience, it always takes him when he’s sober; —
如果一个人有点良心,它总是在他清醒的时候出现。 —

and then it makes him low-spirited. A drop of booze just takes that off and makes him happy. —
然后使他情绪低落。喝一口酒就能让他开心起来。 —

[To Freddy, who is in convulsions of suppressed laughter] Here! —
[对于在压抑的笑声中的弗雷迪] 在这里! —

what are you sniggering at?
你在窃笑什么?

FREDDY. The new small talk. You do it so awfully well.
弗雷迪。新的闲聊方式。你做得太好了。

LIZA. If I was doing it proper, what was you laughing at? —
如果我做得合适,你在笑什么? —

[To Higgins] Have I said anything I oughtn’t?
[对希金斯说] 我有没有说错什么?

MRS. HIGGINS [interposing] Not at all, Miss Doolittle.
希金斯[插嘴] 一点也没有,杜丽。

LIZA. Well, that’s a mercy, anyhow. [Expansively] What I always say is—
好吧,这是幸运的。 [豪爽地] 我总是说……

HIGGINS [rising and looking at his watch] Ahem!
希金斯[起身看表] 啊咳!

LIZA [looking round at him; taking the hint; and rising] Well: I must go. [They all rise. —
杜丽[看着他并明白了暗示,站起来] 好的,我必须走了。 [他们全部站起身来。 —

Freddy goes to the door]. So pleased to have met you. —
弗雷迪走向门口] 很高兴认识你。 —

Good-bye. [She shakes hands with Mrs. Higgins].
再见。 [她与希金斯夫人握手]。

MRS. HIGGINS. Good-bye.
希金斯夫人。再见。

LIZA. Good-bye, Colonel Pickering.
再见,皮克林上校。

PICKERING. Good-bye, Miss Doolittle. [They shake hands].
皮克林。再见,杜丽小姐。[他们握手]。

LIZA [nodding to the others] Good-bye, all.
LIZA [对其他人点头告别] 大家再见。

FREDDY [opening the door for her] Are you walking across the Park, Miss Doolittle? If so—
FREDDY [为她打开门] 杜利特小姐,你是要走过公园吗?如果是的话—

LIZA. Walk! Not bloody likely. [Sensation]. I am going in a taxi. [She goes out].
LIZA. 走路!不可能。[引起轰动] 我要打的去。[她出去了]。

Pickering gasps and sits down. Freddy goes out on the balcony to catch another glimpse of Eliza.
Pickering吃惊地坐下。Freddy走到阳台上,想再看一眼Eliza。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [suffering from shock] Well, I really can’t get used to the new ways.
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [因为震惊而苦恼] 唉,我真的无法适应这些新的方式。

CLARA [throwing herself discontentedly into the Elizabethan chair]. —
CLARA [不满地扔下自己坐在伊丽莎白式椅子上]。 —

Oh, it’s all right, mamma, quite right. People will think we never go anywhere or see anybody if you are so old-fashioned.
哦,没关系,妈妈,完全正确。如果你这样守旧,人们会认为我们从来不去任何地方或见任何人。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. I daresay I am very old-fashioned; —
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. 我承认我非常守旧; —

but I do hope you won’t begin using that expression, Clara. I have got accustomed to hear you talking about men as rotters, and calling everything filthy and beastly; —
但是我希望你不要开始使用那个词,Clara。我已经习惯听你把男人称为坏蛋,把一切都说得肮脏恶心; —

though I do think it horrible and unladylike. —
虽然我认为这很可怕,不像淑女。 —

But this last is really too much. Don’t you think so, Colonel Pickering?
但是最近这个实在太过分了。Colonel Pickering,你觉得呢?

PICKERING. Don’t ask me. I’ve been away in India for several years; —
PICKERING. 不要问我。我在印度待了好几年; —

and manners have changed so much that I sometimes don’t know whether I’m at a respectable dinner-table or in a ship’s forecastle.
而且礼仪已经改变了这么多,有时我都不知道自己是在正式的餐桌上还是船上的舱底。

CLARA. It’s all a matter of habit. There’s no right or wrong in it. Nobody means anything by it. —
CLARA. 这只是一个习惯问题。没有对错之分。大家都没有恶意。 —

And it’s so quaint, and gives such a smart emphasis to things that are not in themselves very witty. —
而且这样说话很古怪,给本身并不太机智的事情增添了一种时髦的强调。 —

I find the new small talk delightful and quite innocent.
我觉得这种新的闲聊很令人愉快,也很无辜。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [rising] Well, after that, I think it’s time for us to go.
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [站起来] 那么,我想我们该走了。

Pickering and Higgins rise.
Pickering 和 Higgins站起身。

CLARA [rising] Oh yes: we have three at homes to go to still. —
CLARA [站起来] 对啊:我们还要去三个朋友家。 —

Good-bye, Mrs. Higgins. Good-bye, Colonel Pickering. —
再见,Mrs. Higgins. 再见,Pickering上校。 —

Good-bye, Professor Higgins.
再见,Higgins教授。

HIGGINS [coming grimly at her from the divan, and accompanying her to the door] Good-bye. —
HIGGINS [从沙发上阴沉地走向她,并陪她走到门口] 再见。 —

Be sure you try on that small talk at the three at-homes. —
一定要在那三个朋友家里试试这种闲聊。 —

Don’t be nervous about it. Pitch it in strong.
不要紧张。要大胆地展示出来。

CLARA [all smiles] I will. Good-bye. Such nonsense, all this early Victorian prudery!
CLARA [满脸笑容] 我会的。再见。这种早期维多利亚时期的假正经真是胡闹!

HIGGINS [tempting her] Such damned nonsense!
HIGGINS [诱惑她] 真是胡言乱语!

CLARA. Such bloody nonsense!
CLARA. 真他妈的胡说八道!

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [convulsively] Clara!
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [痉挛地] Clara!

CLARA. Ha! ha! [She goes out radiant, conscious of being thoroughly up to date, and is heard descending the stairs in a stream of silvery laughter].
CLARA. 哈!哈![她欢天喜地离开,意识到自己完全与时俱进,并听到她在楼梯上发出一阵银铃般的笑声]。

FREDDY [to the heavens at large] Well, I ask you [He gives it up, and comes to Mrs. Higgins]. Good-bye.
FREDDY [对着天空] 好吧,你说呢 [他放弃了,走向Mrs. Higgins]。再见。

MRS. HIGGINS [shaking hands] Good-bye. Would you like to meet Miss Doolittle again?
MRS. HIGGINS [握手] 再见。你想再见到Doolittle小姐吗?

FREDDY [eagerly] Yes, I should, most awfully.
FREDDY [急切地] 是的,非常想。

MRS. HIGGINS. Well, you know my days.
MRS. HIGGINS. 好吧,你知道我的日程。

FREDDY. Yes. Thanks awfully. Good-bye. [He goes out].
FREDDY. 是的。非常感谢。再见。[他离开了]。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. Good-bye, Mr. Higgins.
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. 再见,Higgins先生。

HIGGINS. Good-bye. Good-bye.
HIGGINS. 再见。再见。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [to Pickering] It’s no use. —
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [对Pickering] 没用的。 —

I shall never be able to bring myself to use that word.
我永远不会对自己说那个词。

PICKERING. Don’t. It’s not compulsory, you know. You’ll get on quite well without it.
PICKERING. 别说。这不是强制性的,你知道吗。不说也能过得很好。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. Only, Clara is so down on me if I am not positively reeking with the latest slang. Good-bye.
MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. 只是,如果我不带一点最新俚语的味道,Clara就会对我不满。再见。

PICKERING. Good-bye [They shake hands].
皮克林。再见。【他们握手】。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL [to Mrs. Higgins] You mustn’t mind Clara. [Pickering, catching from her lowered tone that this is not meant for him to hear, discreetly joins Higgins at the window]. —
艾因斯福德·希尔太太【对希金斯太太说】你不要介意克拉拉。【皮克林听到她低声说的话并意识到这不是让他听到的,便离开希金斯去窗边】。 —

We’re so poor! and she gets so few parties, poor child! She doesn’t quite know. —
我们真的很穷!她很少有机会参加派对,可怜的孩子!她不太懂事。 —

[Mrs. Higgins, seeing that her eyes are moist, takes her hand sympathetically and goes with her to the door]. —
【希金斯太太看到她的眼睛湿润了,以同情的口吻握住她的手,陪她走到门口】。 —

But the boy is nice. Don’t you think so?
但那个男孩很不错。你觉得呢?

MRS. HIGGINS. Oh, quite nice. I shall always be delighted to see him.
希金斯太太:哦,他很不错。我总是很高兴见到他。

MRS. EYNSFORD HILL. Thank you, dear. Good-bye. [She goes out].
艾因斯福德·希尔太太:谢谢,亲爱的。再见。【她走出去】。

HIGGINS [eagerly] Well? Is Eliza presentable [he swoops on his mother and drags her to the ottoman, where she sits down in Eliza’s place with her son on her left]?
希金斯激动地问道:那么,伊莉莎可否出现【他冲到母亲身边,把她拖到长椅上,坐在伊莉莎的位置上,母亲坐在左边,皮克林坐在她右边】?

Pickering returns to his chair on her right.
皮克林回到椅子上,坐在她右边。

MRS. HIGGINS. You silly boy, of course she’s not presentable. —
希金斯太太:你这个傻孩子,当然她不够漂亮。 —

She’s a triumph of your art and of her dressmaker’s; —
她是你艺术和裁缝师的杰作。 —

but if you suppose for a moment that she doesn’t give herself away in every sentence she utters, you must be perfectly cracked about her.
但是如果你稍微设想一下,她每说一句话都不显露自己的话,你对她一定完全懵了。

PICKERING. But don’t you think something might be done? —
皮克林。但你不觉得可以做点什么吗? —

I mean something to eliminate the sanguinary element from her conversation.
我是说可以消除她说话中血腥成分的方法。

MRS. HIGGINS. Not as long as she is in Henry’s hands.
希金斯夫人。只要她还在亨利手中,这是不可能的。

HIGGINS [aggrieved] Do you mean that my language is improper?
希金斯 [委屈地] 你是说我的语言不合适吗?

MRS. HIGGINS. No, dearest: it would be quite proper—say on a canal barge; —
希金斯夫人。不,亲爱的:在一艘运河驳船上说话是完全合适的; —

but it would not be proper for her at a garden party.
但在花园派对上就不合适了。

HIGGINS [deeply injured] Well I must say—
希金斯 [受伤地] 好吧,我必须说……

PICKERING [interrupting him] Come, Higgins: you must learn to know yourself. —
皮克林 [打断他] 来吧,希金斯,你得了解自己。 —

I haven’t heard such language as yours since we used to review the volunteers in Hyde Park twenty years ago.
自从二十年前我们在海德公园检阅志愿军以来,我还没听到过你这样的语言。

HIGGINS [sulkily] Oh, well, if you say so, I suppose I don’t always talk like a bishop.
希金斯 [生气地] 哦,好吧,如果你这么说,我想我并不总是像主教一样说话。

MRS. HIGGINS [quieting Henry with a touch] Colonel Pickering: —
希金斯夫人 [轻轻地安抚亨利] 皮克林上校: —

will you tell me what is the exact state of things in Wimpole Street?
你能告诉我在温波尔街的实际情况是怎样的吗?

PICKERING [cheerfully: as if this completely changed the subject] Well, I have come to live there with Henry. We work together at my Indian Dialects; —
P: 皮克林 [开心地: 仿佛这完全改变了话题] 嗯,我已经和亨利一起搬到那里了。我们在我印度方言的工作上合作; —

and we think it more convenient—
P: 并且我们认为这样更方便 -

MRS. HIGGINS. Quite so. I know all about that: —
M.H: 没错。我全都知道:这是一个很好的安排。但是这个女孩住在哪里? —

it’s an excellent arrangement. But where does this girl live?
H: 当然是和我们一起住。她要住在哪里呢?

HIGGINS. With us, of course. Where would she live?
M.H: 但是以什么条件呢?她是一个仆人吗?如果不是,她是谁?

MRS. HIGGINS. But on what terms? Is she a servant? If not, what is she?
P: 我想我明白您的意思,希金斯夫人。

PICKERING [slowly] I think I know what you mean, Mrs. Higgins.
P: 我想我知道您的意思,希金斯夫人。

HIGGINS. Well, dash me if I do! I’ve had to work at the girl every day for months to get her to her present pitch. —
希金斯:哎呀,真是她不辜负我每天努力训练她几个月的结果。 —

Besides, she’s useful. She knows where my things are, and remembers my appointments and so forth.
希金斯:此外,她很有用。她知道我的东西放在哪里,还会记得我的约会和其他事情。

MRS. HIGGINS. How does your housekeeper get on with her?
希金斯夫人:你的女仆和她相处得怎么样?

HIGGINS. Mrs. Pearce? Oh, she’s jolly glad to get so much taken off her hands; —
希金斯:皮尔斯夫人?哦,她非常高兴有人帮她分担负担。在伊莱扎来之前,她不得不找东西,提醒我约会。 —

for before Eliza came, she had to have to find things and remind me of my appointments. —
希金斯:但是她对伊莱扎有些奇怪的想法。她总是说:“你没想过,先生。”,是吧,皮克? —

But she’s got some silly bee in her bonnet about Eliza. She keeps saying “You don’t think, sir”: doesn’t she, Pick?
皮克林:是的,就是这个说法。“你没想过,先生。”。

PICKERING. Yes: that’s the formula. “You don’t think, sir.” —
希金斯夫人:没错,就是这个套路。“你没想过,先生”。 —

That’s the end of every conversation about Eliza.
这就是每次谈论Eliza时的结束。

HIGGINS. As if I ever stop thinking about the girl and her confounded vowels and consonants. —
希金斯。就好像我从未停止思考这个姑娘以及她讨厌的元音和辅音。 —

I’m worn out, thinking about her, and watching her lips and her teeth and her tongue, not to mention her soul, which is the quaintest of the lot.
我想她的事情,观察她的嘴唇、牙齿和舌头,更不用说她的灵魂了,它是最奇特的一部分。

MRS. HIGGINS. You certainly are a pretty pair of babies, playing with your live doll.
希金斯夫人。你们真是一对小宝贝,和她玩活人娃娃。

HIGGINS. Playing! The hardest job I ever tackled: make no mistake about that, mother. —
希金斯。玩?这是我曾经尝试过的最艰难的工作:毫不疑问,母亲。 —

But you have no idea how frightfully interesting it is to take a human being and change her into a quite different human being by creating a new speech for her. —
但你无法想象将一个人变成完全不同的人,通过为她创造新的说话方式,是多么地令人着迷。 —

It’s filling up the deepest gulf that separates class from class and soul from soul.
它填补了阶级与阶级、灵魂与灵魂之间最深的鸿沟。

PICKERING [drawing his chair closer to Mrs. Higgins and bending over to her eagerly] Yes: —
皮克林格[将椅子拉近到希金斯夫人身边,热切地俯身向她]是的: —

it’s enormously interesting. I assure you, Mrs. Higgins, we take Eliza very seriously. —
这真是非常有趣。我向您保证,希金斯夫人,我们非常认真地对待Eliza。 —

Every week—every day almost—there is some new change. —
每周——几乎每天——都发生一些新的变化。 —

[Closer again] We keep records of every stage—dozens of gramophone disks and photographs—
【再次更近】我们保留了每个阶段的记录 — 数十张留声机唱片和照片 —

HIGGINS [assailing her at the other ear] Yes, by George: —
HIGGINS【从另一只耳朵紧紧攻击她】是的,天哪:这是我从未尝试过的最吸引人的实验。 —

it’s the most absorbing experiment I ever tackled. —
她经常填满我们的生活; 是吗,Pick? —

She regularly fills our lives up; doesn’t she, Pick?
PICKERING。我们总是在谈论Eliza。

PICKERING. We’re always talking Eliza.
HIGGINS。教育Eliza。

HIGGINS. Teaching Eliza.
PICKERING。打扮Eliza。

PICKERING. Dressing Eliza.
【原文返回】

MRS. HIGGINS. What!
希金斯夫人。什么!

HIGGINS. Inventing new Elizas.
希金斯。发明新的伊莱扎。

Higgins and Pickering, speaking together:
希金斯和皮克林(一起说):

HIGGINS. You know, she has the most extraordinary quickness of ear:
希金斯。你知道,她有非常出色的听力:
PICKERING. I assure you, my dear Mrs. Higgins, that girl
皮克林。我向您保证,我亲爱的希金斯夫人,那个女孩
HIGGINS. just like a parrot. I’ve tried her with every
希金斯。就像一只鹦鹉。我试过她对于每一种
PICKERING. is a genius. She can play the piano quite beautifully
皮克林。是个天才。她可以演奏非常漂亮的钢琴
HIGGINS. possible sort of sound that a human being can make—
希金斯。人类能发出的任何声音——
PICKERING. We have taken her to classical concerts and to music
皮克林。我们带她去古典音乐会和音乐
HIGGINS. Continental dialects, African dialects, Hottentot
希金斯。洲方言、非洲方言、荷兰
PICKERING. halls; and it’s all the same to her: she plays everything
皮克林。厅,对她来说都一样:她演奏一切
HIGGINS. clicks, things it took me years to get hold of; and
希金斯。语音,这些我花了好多年才掌握的;而
PICKERING. she hears right off when she comes home, whether it’s
皮克林。当她回家时,她立刻听出是不是
HIGGINS. she picks them up like a shot, right away, as if she had
希金斯。贝多芬和勃拉姆斯,或者勒哈尔和莱昂内尔·莫里克顿;
PICKERING. Beethoven and Brahms or Lehar and Lionel Morickton;
皮克林。她马上就能轻松学会,就好像她一直知道一样;
HIGGINS. been at it all her life.
希金斯:一直在努力奋斗了一生。
PICKERING. though six months ago, she’d never as much as touched a piano.
皮克林:虽然六个月前,她从未碰过钢琴。

MRS. HIGGINS [putting her fingers in her ears, as they are by this time shouting one another down with an intolerable noise] Sh—sh—sh—sh! [They stop].
希金斯夫人(将手指放入耳朵中,因为他们正在争吵,发出不可容忍的噪音):嘘——嘘——嘘——嘘!(他们停下来)。

PICKERING. I beg your pardon. [He draws his chair back apologetically].
皮克林:我很抱歉。(他礼貌地把椅子推开)。

HIGGINS. Sorry. When Pickering starts shouting nobody can get a word in edgeways.
希金斯:对不起。当皮克林开始喊叫时,没有人能插话了。

MRS. HIGGINS. Be quiet, Henry. Colonel Pickering: —
希金斯夫人:安静,亨利。皮克林上校: —

don’t you realize that when Eliza walked into Wimpole Street, something walked in with her?
你没有意识到,当伊丽莎步入温波尔街时,有个东西也跟着进来了吗?

PICKERING. Her father did. But Henry soon got rid of him.
皮克林:她的父亲进来了。但亨利很快把他赶走了。

MRS. HIGGINS. It would have been more to the point if her mother had. —
希金斯夫人:要是她的母亲也走进来就更好了。 —

But as her mother didn’t something else did.
但因为她的母亲没有进来,于是就有了其他的问题。

PICKERING. But what?
皮克林:但是什么问题?

MRS. HIGGINS [unconsciously dating herself by the word] A problem.
希金斯夫人(无意识地用这个词表明了她的时代):一个问题。

PICKERING. Oh, I see. The problem of how to pass her off as a lady.
皮克林:哦,我明白了。如何使她被当作贵族的问题。

HIGGINS. I’ll solve that problem. I’ve half solved it already.
希金斯:我会解决这个问题的。我已经解决了一半。

MRS. HIGGINS. No, you two infinitely stupid male creatures: —
夫人希金斯:不,你们这两个愚蠢的男人: —

the problem of what is to be done with her afterwards.
将来怎么处理她的问题。

HIGGINS. I don’t see anything in that. She can go her own way, with all the advantages I have given her.
希金斯:我没看出来有什么问题。她可以自己选择自己的路,享受我给她提供的一切优势。

MRS. HIGGINS. The advantages of that poor woman who was here just now! —
夫人希金斯:就那个刚才在这里的可怜女人的优势! —

The manners and habits that disqualify a fine lady from earning her own living without giving her a fine lady’s income! —
那些礼仪和习惯让一个贵妇人无法靠自己的劳动谋生,但又不会给她贵妇人的收入! —

Is that what you mean?
你是说这个意思吗?

PICKERING [indulgently, being rather bored] Oh, that will be all right, Mrs. Higgins. [He rises to go].
皮克林格(表示宽容,略感厌烦):哦,这没关系,希金斯夫人。【他站起身准备走】

HIGGINS [rising also] We’ll find her some light employment.
希金斯(也站起身):我们会给她找到一份轻松的工作的。

PICKERING. She’s happy enough. Don’t you worry about her. Good-bye. —
皮克林格:她很开心。你不用担心她。再见。 —

[He shakes hands as if he were consoling a frightened child, and makes for the door].
【他握手时像安慰一个害怕的孩子一样,朝门口走去】

HIGGINS. Anyhow, there’s no good bothering now. The thing’s done. —
希金斯:不管怎样,现在烦恼也没用了。事情已经做过了。 —

Good-bye, mother. [He kisses her, and follows Pickering].
母亲,再见。【他吻了她一下,跟着皮克林格走了】

PICKERING [turning for a final consolation] There are plenty of openings. —
皮克林格(最后安慰一句):还有很多机会。 —

We’ll do what’s right. Good-bye.
我们会做正确的事情。再见。

HIGGINS [to Pickering as they go out together] Let’s take her to the Shakespear exhibition at Earls Court.
希金斯[和皮克林格一起走出去时]让我们把她带到尔康特的莎士比亚展览会去。

PICKERING. Yes: let’s. Her remarks will be delicious.
皮克林格。是的,让我们去吧。她的评论会很有趣。

HIGGINS. She’ll mimic all the people for us when we get home.
希金斯。回家后她会替我们模仿所有的人。

PICKERING. Ripping. [Both are heard laughing as they go downstairs].
皮克林格。太棒了。[两人的笑声传遍整个楼梯].

MRS. HIGGINS [rises with an impatient bounce, and returns to her work at the writing-table. —
希金斯夫人[恼怒地站起来,回到写字桌边的工作位置]. —

She sweeps a litter of disarranged papers out of her way; —
她愤怒地把零乱的文件一扫而光。 —

snatches a sheet of paper from her stationery case; and tries resolutely to write. —
她从文具盒里抓了张纸,坚决地试图写东西。 —

At the third line she gives it up; flings down her pen; —
写到第三行时,她放弃了,扔下笔。 —

grips the table angrily and exclaims] Oh, men! men!! men!!!
她愤怒地抓住桌子,大声嘲笑着说道]哦,男人!男人!!男人!!!