There was once a fine gentleman, all of whose moveables were a boot-jack and a hair-comb:
曾经有一位绅士,他的所有财产只有一个靴刷和一个梳子。 —

but he had the finest false collars in the world;
但他有世界上最好的假领子; —

and it is about one of these collars that we are now to hear a story.
而我们现在要听的就是关于其中一个领子的故事。

It was so old, that it began to think of marriage;
它年纪太大了,开始考虑结婚的事情; —

and it happened that it came to be washed in company with a garter.
偶然间,它和一个袜带一起被洗了。

“Nay!” said the collar.
“不错!”领子说。 —

“I never did see anything so slender and so fine, so soft and so neat. May I not ask your name?”
“我从未见过如此细薄、如此柔软、如此整洁的东西。可否请教您的尊姓大名?”

“That I shall not tell you!” said the garter.
“我可不告诉你!”袜带说道。

“Where do you live?” asked the collar.
“你住在哪里?”领子问道。

But the garter was so bashful, so modest, and thought it was a strange question to answer.
但袜带害羞、谦逊,认为这是个奇怪的问题,不敢回答。

“You are certainly a girdle,” said the collar;
“你肯定是一根腰带。”领子说。 —

“that is to say an inside girdle.
“也就是里面的腰带。 —

I see well that you are both for use and ornament, my dear young lady.”
我看得出你是功能和装饰兼备的,亲爱的小姐。”

“I will thank you not to speak to me,” said the garter.
“我要求你不要跟我说话。”袜带说。 —

“I think I have not given the least occasion for it.”
“我想我没有给予你任何理由。”

“Yes! When one is as handsome as you, ” said the collar, “that is occasion enough.”
“是的!当一个像你这样英俊的人出现时,”领子说,“这就是一个机会。”

“Don’t come so near me, I beg of you!” said the garter.
“请不要靠得这么近,我求求你!”腰带说, —

“You look so much like those men-folks.”
“你看起来太像那些男性了。”

“I am also a fine gentleman,” said the collar.
“我也是一个好绅士,”领子说, —

“I have a bootjack and a hair-comb.”
“我有一个拉根和一个梳子。”

But that was not true, for it was his master who had them:
但这并不是真的,因为有它们的是它的主人: —

but he boasted.
但它夸大了。

“Don’t come so near me,” said the garter:
“请不要靠得这么近,”腰带说: —

“I am not accustomed to it.”
“我不习惯。”

“Prude!” exclaimed the collar;
“假正经!”领子喊道; —

and then it was taken out of the washing-tub.
然后它被从洗濯桶里拿出来。 —

It was starched, hung over the back of a chair in the sunshine, and was then laid on the ironing-blanket;
它被浆糊了,晾在椅子背上晒太阳,然后放在熨烫毯上;然后来了温暖的熨斗。 —

then came the warm box-iron.
“亲爱的夫人! —

“Dear lady!

” said the collar. “Dear widow-lady!
”领子说,“亲爱的寡妇夫人! —

I feel quite hot. I am quite changed.
我感觉很热。我完全变了样。 —

I begin to unfold myself.
我开始展开自己。 —

You will burn a hole in me. Oh!
你会在我身上烧个洞的。哦! —

I offer you my hand.”
我向你伸出手。”

“Rag!” said the box-iron;
“破布!”熨斗说, —

and went proudly over the collar:
并骄傲地在领子上移动: —

for she fancied she was a steam-engine, that would go on the railroad and draw the waggons.
因为它觉得自己是一辆蒸汽机车,可以在铁路上行驶并拉动货车。 —

“Rag!” said the box-iron.
“熨斗!”盒子熨斗说。

The collar was a little jagged at the edge, and so came the long scissors to cut off the jagged part.
领子的边缘有点不整齐,于是用剪刀剪掉了不整齐的部分。领子说: —

“Oh!” said the collar.
“哦!” —

“You are certainly the first opera dancer.
“你绝对是第一个歌剧舞蹈演员。 —

How well you can stretch your legs out!
你能把腿伸得多好啊! —

It is the most graceful performance I have ever seen.
这是我见过的最优雅的表演, —

No one can imitate you.”
没有人可以模仿你。”

“I know it,” said the scissors.
“我知道,”剪刀说。

“You deserve to be a baroness,” said the collar.
“你应该当个女男爵,”领子说。 —

“All that I have is a fine gentleman, a boot-jack, and a hair-comb. If I only had the barony!”
“我身边只有一个绅士、一个短靴辅助器和一个发梳。要是我能当个男爵就好了!”

“Do you seek my hand?” said the scissors;
“你是在追求我的手吗?”剪刀说, —

for she was angry; and without more ado, she CUT HIM, and then he was condemned.
她生气了;不多说,她把他剪断了,然后他被定罪了。

“I shall now be obliged to ask the hair-comb.
“我现在得去请发梳了。 —

It is surprising how well you preserve your teeth, Miss,” said the collar.
你的牙齿保存得真好,小姐。”领子说。 —

“Have you never thought of being betrothed?”
“你从没想过订婚吗?”

“Yes, of course! you may be sure of that, ” said the hair-comb. “I AM betrothed–to the boot-jack!”
“当然!你可以相信,”发梳说。“我已经订婚了——和短靴辅助器!”

“Betrothed!” exclaimed the collar.
“许配!”领结惊呼道。 —

Now there was no other to court, and so he despised it.
此刻没有其他的候选者,因此他对此持厌恶态度。

A long time passed away, then the collar came into the rag chest at the paper mill;
很长一段时间过去了,领结进入了纸厂的破布箱内; —

there was a large company of rags, the fine by themselves, and the coarse by themselves, just as it should be.
这里有一大堆破布,细的放在一起,粗的也放在一起,如此井井有条。 —

They all had much to say, but the collar the most;
它们都有很多话要说,但是领结说得最多, —

for he was a real boaster.
因为他是一个真正的吹牛大王。

“I have had such an immense number of sweethearts!
“我有过如此多的情人!”领结说道。 —

” said the collar. “I could not be in peace!
“我简直无法得到一点安宁! —

It is true, I was always a fine starched-up gentleman!
没错,我一直是一个穿戴整齐的绅士! —

I had both a boot-jack and a hair-comb, which I never used!
我有一个靴拔和一个梳子,从来没有使用过! —

You should have seen me then, you should have seen me when I lay down!
你们应该看到我,你们应该看到我躺下的样子! —

I shall never forget MY FIRST LOVE–she was a girdle, so fine, so soft, and so charming, she threw herself into a tub of water for my sake!
我永远不会忘记我的初恋–她是一个腰带,如此优美,如此柔软,如此迷人,她为了我才跳进了水桶! —

There was also a widow, who became glowing hot, but I left her standing till she got black again;
还有一个寡妇,她变得炙热火辣,但我让她站在那里,直到她再次变黑; —

there was also the first opera dancer, she gave me that cut which I now go with, she was so ferocious!
还有第一位歌剧舞者,她给我留下了这一刀痕,她太凶猛了! —

My own hair-comb was in love with me, she lost all her teeth from the heart-ache; yes, I have lived to see much of that sort of thing;
我的梳子也爱上了我,她因为心痛而掉光了牙齿;是的,我曾经经历过很多这种事情; —

but I am extremely sorry for the garter–I mean the girdle–that went into the water-tub.
但是我为那条腰带感到非常抱歉——我是说束腰——它掉进了水桶里。 —

I have much on my conscience, I want to become white paper!”
我心里有很多事情,我想要变成一张白纸!

And it became so, all the rags were turned into white paper;
事情就变成了这样,所有的破烂都变成了白纸; —

but the collar came to be just this very piece of white paper we here see, and on which the story is printed;
但是领子却变成了我们现在看到的这张白纸,上面印着这个故事; —

and that was because it boasted so terribly afterwards of what had never happened to it.
那是因为它事后夸夸其谈从未发生过的事情。 —

It would be well for us to beware, that we may not act in a similar manner, for we can never know if we may not, in the course of time, also come into the rag chest, and be made into white paper, and then have our whole life’s history printed on it, even the most secret, and be obliged to run about and tell it ourselves, just like this collar.
我们最好警惕起来,以免我们也以类似的方式行事,因为我们永远无法知道我们是否会在未来某个时候也成为破烂箱里的一员,被制成白纸,然后将我们整个生活的历史印刷其中,甚至包括最秘密的部分,并被迫四处奔波并亲自告诉它,就像这个领结一样。