It is in the hot lands that the sun burns, sure enough!
热土上的太阳确实灼烧不已!在那里, —

there the people become quite a mahogany brown, ay, and in the HOTTEST lands they are burnt to Negroes.
人们变得像红木一样棕色,哦,而在最炎热的土地上,他们被晒成了黑人。 —

But now it was only to the HOT lands that a learned man had come from the cold;
但现在只有从寒冷之地来的一个博学之人才到热土上; —

there he thought that he could run about just as when at home, but he soon found out his mistake.
他以为在那里可以像在家一样四处奔跑,但很快他发现了自己的错误。

He, and all sensible folks, were obliged to stay within doors–the window-shutters and doors were closed the whole day;
他和所有明智的人都被迫待在屋内 ——百叶窗和门整天都是关上的; —

it looked as if the whole house slept, or there was no one at home.
人们似乎都在睡觉,或者家里没人。

The narrow street with the high houses, was built so that the sunshine must fall there from morning till evening–it was really not to be borne.
这条窄街上的高楼大厦是这样建的,阳光从早到晚都会照射进来——真是难以忍受。

The learned man from the cold lands–he was a young man, and seemed to be a clever man–sat in a glowing oven;
这位来自寒冷土地的博学者 ——他是个年轻人,似乎很聪明 ——坐在一个灼热的炉子里; —

it took effect on him, he became quite meagre–even his shadow shrunk in, for the sun had also an effect on it.
对他产生了影响,他变得很消瘦——连他的影子也缩了进去,因为太阳也对它产生了影响。 —

It was first towards evening when the sun was down, that they began to freshen up again.
直到傍晚太阳下山时,他们才开始重新恢复活力。

In the warm lands every window has a balcony, and the people came out on all the balconies in the street–for one must have air, even if one be accustomed to be mahogany!
在温暖的土地上,每个窗户都有一个阳台,街上所有的人都走到阳台上来——因为即使习惯成为桃花心木,人们也必须有新鲜的空气。 —

  • It was lively both up and down the street. Tailors, and shoemakers, and all the folks, moved out into the street–chairs and tables were brought forth–and candles burnt–yes, above a thousand lights were burning–and the one talked and the other sung;
    街上熙熙攘攘的。裁缝、鞋匠和所有的人都走到了街上——椅子和桌子被搬了出来——烛光闪烁——是的,一千多盏灯点亮了——人们互相交谈,有的唱歌; —

and people walked and church-bells rang, and asses went along with a dingle-dingle-dong!
人们走着,教堂的钟声响起,驴子也带着叮铃叮铃的响铃走来走去! —

for they too had bells on.
因为它们也有铃铛。 —

The street boys were screaming and hooting, and shouting and shooting, with devils and detonating balls–and there came corpse bearers and hood wearers–for there were funerals with psalm and hymn–and then the din of carriages driving and company arriving:
街上的孩子们叫喊着、嚷嚷着,射击着恶魔和爆炸球——还有殡葬队员和佩戴罩帽的人——因为有带有赞美诗和圣歌的葬礼——然后是马车驶来和客人到达: —

yes, it was, in truth, lively enough down in the street.
是的, —

Only in that single house, which stood opposite that in which the learned foreigner lived, it was quite still;
在那条街对面的那座房子里,却很安静; —

and yet some one lived there, for there stood flowers in the balcony–they grew so well in the sun’s heat!
然而,仍有人住在那里,因为阳台上开着鲜花 - 它们在阳光下生长得很好! —

and that they could not do unless they were watered–and some one must water them–there must be somebody there.
而且它们不可能长得这么好,除非有人给它们浇水 - 必定有人在那里。 —

The door opposite was also opened late in the evening, but it was dark within, at least in the front room;
对面的门也在晚上开着,但前面的房间里很暗; —

further in there was heard the sound of music.
房子里面还传来音乐声。 —

The learned foreigner thought it quite marvellous, but now–it might be that he only imagined it–for he found everything marvellous out there, in the warm lands, if there had only been no sun.
那位博学的外国人觉得这很奇妙,但现在 - 也许他只是幻想 - 因为在那个温暖的国家,他觉得一切都是奇妙的,只要不是有太阳就好了。 —

The stranger’s landlord said that he didn’t know who had taken the house opposite, one saw no person about, and as to the music, it appeared to him to be extremely tiresome.
陌生人的房东说他不知道是谁租了对面的房子,从来没有见到过人,至于音乐,他觉得非常令人厌烦。 —

“It is as if some one sat there, and practised a piece that he could not master–always the same piece.
“好像有人坐在那里,练习一曲他无法掌握的乐曲 - 永远都是同一首曲子。 —

‘I shall master it!’ says he;
‘我会掌握它的!’ 他说; —

but yet he cannot master it, however long he plays.”
但是无论他演奏多长时间,他都无法掌握它。”

  • The word mahogany can be understood, in Danish, as having two meanings. In general, it means the reddish-brown wood itself;
    mahogany这个词在丹麦语中有两个意思。一般来说,它指的是红褐色的木材; —

but in jest, it signifies “excessively fine, ” which arose from an anecdote of Nyboder, in Copenhagen, (the seamen’s quarter.
但是开玩笑的时候,它意味着“过于精致”,这源自于哥本哈根尼伯德(海员区)的一个轶事; —

) A sailor’s wife, who was always proud and fine, in her way, came to her neighbor, and complained that she had got a splinter in her finger.
一位海员的妻子,总是自视甚高,某天她来找邻居抱怨自己手指被木屑刺伤了; —

“What of?” asked the neighbor’s wife.
邻居的妻子问:“是什么刺伤的?” 她回答: —

“It is a mahogany splinter,” said the other.
“是一根桃花心木的木屑。” 邻居妻子惊叫道: —

“Mahogany! It cannot be less with you!
“桃花心木!你总是过于讲究!”; —

” exclaimed the woman–and thence the proverb, “It is so mahogany!
那个女人大叫:“真是太桃花心木了!” ——(也就是说,太过于讲究); —

”–(that is, so excessively fine)–is derived.
一天夜里,这个陌生人醒来了——他睡在门廊的门上,门前的帘子被风吹起来,他觉得对面邻居的房子发出了奇怪的光辉;

One night the stranger awoke–he slept with the doors of the balcony open–the curtain before it was raised by the wind, and he thought that a strange lustre came from the opposite neighbor’s house;
他意识到,因为邻居家拉了帘子,通往他家的一扇门敞开着,现在光线比平时更加明亮了。 —

all the flowers shone like flames, in the most beautiful colors, and in the midst of the flowers stood a slender, graceful maiden–it was as if she also shone;
所有的花朵像火焰一样鲜艳,展现着最美丽的色彩,而在花丛中站立着一个苗条、优雅的少女,仿佛她也在发光; —

the light really hurt his eyes.
光线实在刺痛了他的眼睛, —

He now opened them quite wide–yes, he was quite awake; with one spring he was on the floor;
他睁大眼睛——是的,他完全清醒了;他一个起跳从床上落到了地上; —

he crept gently behind the curtain, but the maiden was gone;
他轻轻地爬到窗帘后面,但少女已经不见了, —

the flowers shone no longer, but there they stood, fresh and blooming as ever;
花朵不再发光,但它们依然新鲜而盛开; —

the door was ajar, and, far within, the music sounded so soft and delightful, one could really melt away in sweet thoughts from it.
门半开着,远处可以听到柔和而令人陶醉的音乐,人们仿佛可以从中融化在美妙的思绪中; —

Yet it was like a piece of enchantment.
然而这里就像是一片魔法般的存在, —

And who lived there? Where was the actual entrance?
那里住着谁?实际的入口在哪里? —

The whole of the ground-floor was a row of shops, and there people could not always be running through.
整个一楼是一排商店,那里人们不能总是穿行其中;

One evening the stranger sat out on the balcony.
一天晚上,陌生人坐在阳台上, —

The light burnt in the room behind him;
房间里的灯亮着; —

and thus it was quite natural that his shadow should fall on his opposite neighbor’s wall. Yes!
因此,他的影子自然而然地投射在对面邻居的墙上。是的! —

there it sat, directly opposite, between the flowers on the balcony;
它就坐在对面,在阳台上的花草之间; —

and when the stranger moved, the shadow also moved: for that it always does.
当陌生人移动时,影子也跟着移动,因为它总是如此。

“I think my shadow is the only living thing one sees over there, ” said the learned man. “See, how nicely it sits between the flowers.
“我想我在那边只能看到我的影子”,博学的人说道。“瞧,它怎么舒舒服服地坐在花丛间。” —

The door stands half-open: now the shadow should be cunning, and go into the room, look about, and then come and tell me what it had seen.
门半开着,现在影子应该机智一点,进入房间,看看周围,然后回来告诉我它看见了什么。快, —

Come, now!
走吧! —

Be useful, and do me a service,” said he, in jest.
“有用点,帮我一个忙,”他开玩笑地说。 —

“Have the kindness to step in.
“请你友好地进来。 —

Now! Art thou going?
来吧!你要去? —

” and then he nodded to the shadow, and the shadow nodded again.
”然后他朝影子点了点头,影子也回了头。 —

“Well then, go! But don’t stay away.”
“那好,走吧!但是别离开太久。”

The stranger rose, and his shadow on the opposite neighbor’s balcony rose also;
陌生人站起身来,他的影子也在对面邻居的阳台上站了起来; —

the stranger turned round and the shadow also turned round. Yes!
陌生人转身,影子也转身。是的! —

if anyone had paid particular attention to it, they would have seen, quite distinctly, that the shadow went in through the half-open balcony-door of their opposite neighbor, just as the stranger went into his own room, and let the long curtain fall down after him.
如果有人特别注意到的话,他们会清楚地看到,就在那个陌生人走进自己的房间后,影子通过半开的阳台门走进了他们对面邻居的房间,然后让长长的窗帘落下来。

Next morning, the learned man went out to drink coffee and read the newspapers.
第二天早上,博学的人出去喝咖啡并读报纸。

“What is that?” said he, as he came out into the sunshine.
“这是什么?”他走到阳光下时说道。 —

“I have no shadow!
“我的影子没了! —

So then, it has actually gone last night, and not come again. It is really tiresome!”
所以,它昨晚真的走了,而且没有再回来。真是讨厌!

This annoyed him: not so much because the shadow was gone, but because he knew there was a story about a man without a shadow.
这使他恼火:不仅仅是因为影子没了,而且因为他知道有一个关于一个没有影子的人的故事。 —

  • It was known to everybody at home, in the cold lands;
    * 在寒冷的家乡,这是家喻户晓的故事; —

and if the learned man now came there and told his story, they would say that he was imitating it, and that he had no need to do.
如果博学的人现在去那儿讲述他的故事,他们会说他在模仿,而他根本没有必要这样做。 —

He would, therefore, not talk about it at all;
因此,他不打算谈论这件事; —

and that was wisely thought.
这样想是明智的。

Peter Schlemihl, the shadowless man.
彼得·施莱米尔,没有影子的人。

In the evening he went out again on the balcony.
晚上,他再次走出阳台。 —

He had placed the light directly behind him, for he knew that the shadow would always have its master for a screen, but he could not entice it.
他把灯光直接放在了身后,因为他知道阴影总会有主人遮挡,但是他无法引诱出阴影。 —

He made himself little; he made himself great: but no shadow came again.
他使自己变小,使自己变大,但阴影再也没有出现。 —

He said, “Hem! hem!” but it was of no use.
他说:“嗯!嗯!” 但没有用。

It was vexatious; but in the warm lands everything grows so quickly;
这令人恼火,但在温暖的地方,一切都长得很快。 —

and after the lapse of eight days he observed, to his great joy, that a new shadow came in the sunshine.
八天后,他欣喜地发现,阳光下出现了一个新的阴影。 —

In the course of three weeks he had a very fair shadow, which, when he set out for his home in the northern lands, grew more and more in the journey, so that at last it was so long and so large, that it was more than sufficient.
在三个星期的时间里,他有了一个非常好的阴影,在他回到北方的家的路上,阴影越来越大,在最后变得非常长,非常大,已经足够了。

The learned man then came home, and he wrote books about what was true in the world, and about what was good and what was beautiful;
学者回到了家,他写了关于世界上的真实事物,关于善良和美丽的书籍。 —

and there passed days and years–yes!
日子和年复一年过去了,是的! —

many years passed away.
许多年过去了。

One evening, as he was sitting in his room, there was a gentle knocking at the door.
有一天晚上,他正坐在房间里,门外传来一阵轻轻的敲门声。

“Come in!” said he; but no one came in;
“进来吧!”他说,但没有人进来; —

so he opened the door, and there stood before him such an extremely lean man, that he felt quite strange.
于是他打开门,看见站在门前的是一个极其消瘦的人,他感到很奇怪。 —

As to the rest, the man was very finely dressed–he must be a gentleman.
至于其他方面,这个人穿得很讲究–他一定是绅士。

“Whom have I the honor of speaking?
“很荣幸与你交谈, —

” asked the learned man.
”学者问道。

“Yes! I thought as much,” said the fine man.
“是的!我就知道,”那个绅士说。 —

“I thought you would not know me.
“我就知道你不会认出我来。 —

I have got so much body.
我现在可是有身体的, —

I have even got flesh and clothes.
我甚至还有肉和衣服。” —

You certainly never thought of seeing me so well off.
你肯定没想到我会过得这么好。 —

Do you not know your old shadow?
你当然不认识你的旧影子了。 —

You certainly thought I should never more return.
你肯定以为我再也不会回来了。 —

Things have gone on well with me since I was last with you.
最近我过得很顺利。 —

I have, in all respects, become very well off.
我在各个方面都变得很好。 —

Shall I purchase my freedom from service?
我可以买回我的自由吗? —

If so, I can do it”; and then he rattled a whole bunch of valuable seals that hung to his watch, and he stuck his hand in the thick gold chain he wore around his neck–nay!
如果可以的话,我可以做到;然后他摇动了一大串挂在手表上的珍贵的印章,把手插进他脖子上那根厚厚的金链–哪! —

how all his fingers glittered with diamond rings;
他的所有手指都闪耀着钻石戒指; —

and then all were pure gems.
然后所有的戒指都变成了纯净的宝石。

“Nay; I cannot recover from my surprise!
“不,我无法从惊讶中恢复过来! —

” said the learned man.
”学者说道, —

“What is the meaning of all this?”
“这一切是什么意思?”

“Something common, is it not,” said the shadow.
“那不是很常见吗?”影子说, —

“But you yourself do not belong to the common order;
“但你自己并不属于普通人; —

and I, as you know well, have from a child followed in your footsteps.
你很清楚,我从小就跟随着你的脚步。 —

As soon as you found I was capable to go out alone in the world, I went my own way.
一旦你发现我能独自在世界上行走,我就按照自己的方式行事。 —

I am in the most brilliant circumstances, but there came a sort of desire over me to see you once more before you die;
我现在处境非常优越,但我突然渴望在你死之前再见你一次; —

you will die, I suppose?
你会死吧? —

I also wished to see this land again–for you know we always love our native land.
我也希望再次看到这片土地——你知道我们总是热爱我们的故乡。 —

I know you have got another shadow again;
我知道你又有了另一个影子; —

have I anything to pay to it or you?
我是否需要付给它或者你什么呢? —

If so, you will oblige me by saying what it is.”
如果需要,麻烦你告诉我是什么。”

“Nay, is it really thou?” said the learned man.
“不,真的是你吗?”学者说道, —

“It is most remarkable:
“这太了不起了: —

I never imagined that one’s old shadow could come again as a man.”
我从未想过旧的影子会以一个人的形式再次出现。”

“Tell me what I have to pay,” said the shadow;
“告诉我我必须付出什么,”影子说, —

“for I don’t like to be in any sort of debt.”
“因为我不喜欢欠债。”

“How canst thou talk so?” said the learned man.
“你怎么能这样说?”学者说, —

“What debt is there to talk about?
“有什么债可以谈论的? —

Make thyself as free as anyone else.
让自己像其他人一样自由。 —

I am extremely glad to hear of thy good fortune: sit down, old friend, and tell me a little how it has gone with thee, and what thou hast seen at our opposite neighbor’s there–in the warm lands.”
听到你的好运,我非常高兴:坐下来,老朋友,告诉我一点你的情况,以及你在对面邻居那儿看到了什么——在那些温暖的地方。”

“Yes, I will tell you all about it, ” said the shadow, and sat down:
“是的,我会告诉你一切,”影子说着坐下来。 —

“but then you must also promise me, that, wherever you may meet me, you will never say to anyone here in the town that I have been your shadow.
“但是你必须答应我,无论你在哪里遇到我,你都不能告诉城里的任何人我曾经是你的影子。 —

I intend to get betrothed, for I can provide for more than one family.”
我打算订婚,因为我可以养活不止一个家庭。”

“Be quite at thy ease about that,” said the learned man;
“完全放心,”学者说, —

“I shall not say to anyone who thou actually art:
“我不会告诉任何人你究竟是谁: —

here is my hand–I promise it, and a man’s bond is his word.”
这是我的承诺,男人的诺言就是他的言辞。”

“A word is a shadow,” said the shadow, “and as such it must speak.”
“言词就是个影子,”影子说道,“它必须如此说话。”

It was really quite astonishing how much of a man it was.
真是令人惊讶的是,它是多么一位男士。 —

It was dressed entirely in black, and of the very finest cloth;
它整身穿着黑色,而且是最好的布料; —

it had patent leather boots, and a hat that could be folded together, so that it was bare crown and brim;
它穿着专利皮靴,还有一顶可以折叠在一起的帽子,以至于赤裸的头顶和帽檐都能看到; —

not to speak of what we already know it had–seals, gold neck-chain, and diamond rings;
更不用说它已经拥有的–印章、金项链和钻石戒指; —

yes, the shadow was well-dressed, and it was just that which made it quite a man.
是的,这个影子穿着得体,正是这一点使它成为真正的男人。

“Now I shall tell you my adventures,” said the shadow;
“现在我要告诉你我的冒险故事, —

and then he sat, with the polished boots, as heavily as he could, on the arm of the learned man’s new shadow, which lay like a poodle-dog at his feet.
”影子说,并用尽可能沉重的方式将抛光的靴子放在学者新影子的手臂上,后者像一只贵宾犬一样躺在他的脚边。 —

Now this was perhaps from arrogance;
这可能是出于傲慢, —

and the shadow on the ground kept itself so still and quiet, that it might hear all that passed:
然而地上的影子一动不动,非常安静,以便听到所有的发生的事情: —

it wished to know how it could get free, and work its way up, so as to become its own master.
它想知道该如何获得自由,努力爬升,成为自己的主人。

“Do you know who lived in our opposite neighbor’s house?
“你知道我们对面邻居的房子里住着谁吗? —

” said the shadow. “It was the most charming of all beings, it was Poesy!
”影子说。“那是所有可爱的存在中最迷人的,那是诗歌!” —

I was there for three weeks, and that has as much effect as if one had lived three thousand years, and read all that was composed and written;
我在那儿待了三周,这对我来说就像活了三千年,读过了所有的作品和书籍; —

that is what I say, and it is right.
这就是我说的,也是对的。 —

I have seen everything and I know everything!”
我见过一切,我知道一切!”

“Poesy!” cried the learned man. “Yes, yes, she often dwells a recluse in large cities! Poesy!
“诗!”。那位博学的人大声喊道,“是的,是的,她经常隐居在大城市里!诗! —

Yes, I have seen her–a single short moment, but sleep came into my eyes!
是的,我见过她——只是短短的一瞬间,然后我就闭上了眼睛… —

She stood on the balcony and shone as the Aurora Borealis shines.
她站在阳台上,犹如北极光闪耀。 —

Go on, go on–thou wert on the balcony, and went through the doorway, and then–”
继续说,继续说——你在阳台上,穿过门口,然后——

“Then I was in the antechamber,” said the shadow.
“然后我来到了前厅,”影子说道,“你总是坐在那儿,望着前厅。 —

“You always sat and looked over to the antechamber.
那里没有光,只有一种微暗,但对面门口是敞开的,通过一长排房间和厅堂, —

There was no light;
照明很好。 —

there was a sort of twilight, but the one door stood open directly opposite the other through a long row of rooms and saloons, and there it was lighted up.
如果我过去找那位姑娘,我可能会死无葬身之地; —

I should have been completely killed if I had gone over to the maiden;
我应该被彻底杀死,如果我走近了姑娘; —

but I was circumspect, I took time to think, and that one must always do.”
但我很谨慎,花时间思考,而且每个人都应该这样做。

“And what didst thou then see?” asked the learned man.
“那你看到了什么?”学者问道。

“I saw everything, and I shall tell all to you:
“我看到了一切,我会告诉你一切: —

but–it is no pride on my part–as a free man, and with the knowledge I have, not to speak of my position in life, my excellent circumstances–I certainly wish that you would say YOU* to me!”
但是 - 这不是我自高自大 - 作为一个自由人,并且拥有我所拥有的知识,不言而喻,我的生活环境优越 - 我当然希望你能对我说你,而不是您!”

  • It is the custom in Denmark for intimate acquaintances to use the second person singular, “Du,” (thou) when speaking to each other.
    *在丹麦,亲密的熟人之间使用第二人称单数“Du”(你),当彼此交谈时。 —

When a friendship is formed between men, they generally affirm it, when occasion offers, either in public or private, by drinking to each other and exclaiming, “thy health, ” at the same time striking their glasses together.
当两个男人之间形成友谊时,通常会在公共或私下场合通过碰杯喝酒并大喊“干杯,祝你健康”来确认友谊。 —

This is called drinking “Duus”: they are then, “Duus Brodre,” (thou brothers) and ever afterwards use the pronoun “thou, ” to each other, it being regarded as more familiar than “De, ” (you).
这被称为“Duus”的饮酒仪式:此后,他们成为“Duus Brodre”(你兄弟),并且彼此之间使用“你”这个代词,因为这被认为比“您”更为亲密。 —

Father and mother, sister and brother say thou to one another–without regard to age or rank.
父母、姐妹和兄弟之间互称“你”,不论年龄或地位。 —

Master and mistress say thou to their servants the superior to the inferior.
主人和女主人互称“你”,对仆人互称“你”,相对地位高低而定。 —

But servants and inferiors do not use the same term to their masters, or superiors–nor is it ever used when speaking to a stranger, or anyone with whom they are but slightly acquainted–they then say as in English–you.
但是仆人和下级对主人或上级使用不同的称谓,在与陌生人或稍微熟悉的人交谈时,使用与英语相同的“你”。

“I beg your pardon,” said the learned man;
“请原谅,”学者说, —

“it is an old habit with me.
“这是我一个老习惯。 —

YOU are perfectly right, and I shall remember it;
你说得完全正确,我会记住的; —

but now you must tell me all YOU saw!”
但现在你必须告诉我你所见到的一切!”

“Everything!” said the shadow.
“一切!”影子说。 —

“For I saw everything, and I know everything!”
“因为我看到了一切,我知道一切!”

“How did it look in the furthest saloon?
“在最远的大厅里是什么样子? —

” asked the learned man.
”学者问。 —

“Was it there as in the fresh woods?
“是像新鲜的树林一样吗? —

Was it there as in a holy church?
是像一座神圣的教堂吗? —

Were the saloons like the starlit firmament when we stand on the high mountains?”
大厅是否像我们站在高山上时看到的星光璀璨的天空?”

“Everything was there!” said the shadow.
“一切都在那里!”影子说。 —

“I did not go quite in, I remained in the foremost room, in the twilight, but I stood there quite well;
“我没有完全进去,我留在前面的房间,处于黄昏中,但我站得很好; —

I saw everything, and I know everything!
我看到了一切,我知道一切! —

I have been in the antechamber at the court of Poesy.”
我曾经在诗神宫廷的前厅里。”

“But WHAT DID you see? Did all the gods of the olden times pass through the large saloons?
“但你看到了什么?古老的诸神都经过了那些大厅吗? —

Did the old heroes combat there?
那些古老的英雄在那里战斗吗? —

Did sweet children play there, and relate their dreams?”
甜蜜的孩子们在那里玩耍,讲述他们的梦境吗?”

“I tell you I was there, and you can conceive that I saw everything there was to be seen.
“我告诉你,我在那里,你可以想象我所见的一切。 —

Had you come over there, you would not have been a man;
如果你也去了那里,你就不会是一个人; —

but I became so! And besides, I learned to know my inward nature, my innate qualities, the relationship I had with Poesy. At the time I was with you, I thought not of that, but always–you know it well–when the sun rose, and when the sun went down, I became so strangely great;
但我成为了一个人!此外,我认识了自己的内在本质,我的天赋品质,我与诗神的联系。当我与你在一起的时候,我没有想到这一点,但是,你深知,当太阳升起和落下时,我变得异常伟大; —

in the moonlight I was very near being more distinct than yourself;
在月光下,我几乎比你更加清晰; —

at that time I did not understand my nature;
那时我还不理解我的本质。” —

it was revealed to me in the antechamber! I became a man!
在等候室里向我揭示了真相!我成长为一个男人! —

I came out matured; but you were no longer in the warm lands;
我变得成熟了,但你已经不在温暖的土地上了; —

as a man I was ashamed to go as I did.
作为一个男人,我感到羞愧, —

I was in want of boots, of clothes, of the whole human varnish that makes a man perceptible.
因为我没有适当的靴子,没有衣服,没有整个人类的外表,让人能够看见。 —

I took my way–I tell it to you, but you will not put it in any book–I took my way to the cake woman–I hid myself behind her;
我选择了另一种方式–我告诉你,但你不要将它记在任何书里–我去找了那个卖蛋糕的妇人–我隐藏在她后面; —

the woman didn’t think how much she concealed.
那个妇人没有意识到她所掩饰的东西有多少。 —

I went out first in the evening;
傍晚时我首先出门; —

I ran about the streets in the moonlight;
我在月光下在街上奔跑; —

I made myself long up the walls–it tickles the back so delightfully!
我沿着墙壁跑得很高–这样背部感觉非常痒! —

I ran up, and ran down, peeped into the highest windows, into the saloons, and on the roofs, I peeped in where no one could peep, and I saw what no one else saw, what no one else should see!
我上下奔跑,偷窥最高的窗户,偷窥沙龙和屋顶,我偷窥没有人能偷窥的地方,我看见了别人看不见的东西,别人不该看见的东西! —

This is, in fact, a base world!
事实上,这是个卑鄙的世界! —

I would not be a man if it were not now once accepted and regarded as something to be so!
如果它不再被认可为一种方式,如果它不再被视为一种方式,我就不会成为一个男人! —

I saw the most unimaginable things with the women, with the men, with parents, and with the sweet, matchless children;
我看到了女人们、男人们、父母们以及那些可爱而无与伦比的孩子们所做的最不可想象的事情; —

I saw,” said the shadow, “what no human being must know, but what they would all so willingly know–what is bad in their neighbor.
我看到了,”影子说,“没有人类应该知道的,但是他们都很愿意知道的,那就是他们邻居身上的坏事; —

Had I written a newspaper, it would have been read!
如果我写了一份报纸,它会被阅读! —

But I wrote direct to the persons themselves, and there was consternation in all the towns where I came.
但是我直接给那些人写信,我所到之处的所有城镇都陷入了恐慌; —

They were so afraid of me, and yet they were so excessively fond of me.
他们非常害怕我,但又非常喜欢我。 —

The professors made a professor of me;
教授们让我成为了一名教授; —

the tailors gave me new clothes–I am well furnished;
裁缝给我做了新衣服-我穿戴得很好; —

the master of the mint struck new coin for me, and the women said I was so handsome!
造币厂的厂长给我打造了新的硬币,女人们说我很帅气! —

And so I became the man I am. And I now bid you farewell.
于是我成为了我现在的样子。现在我告别你们。 —

Here is my card–I live on the sunny side of the street, and am always at home in rainy weather!
这是我的名片-我住在阳光明媚的街区,在下雨的天气里也总是在家! —

” And so away went the shadow.
“如此奇特! —

“That was most extraordinary!
”学者们说。 —

” said the learned man.
于是影子离开了。 —

Years and days passed away, then the shadow came again.
年复一年,日复一日,然后影子又来了。 —

“How goes it?” said the shadow.
“进展如何?”影子说道。

“Alas!” said the learned man. “I write about the true, and the good, and the beautiful, but no one cares to hear such things;
“唉!”博学的人说。“我写关于真相、善良和美丽的东西,但没有人愿意听这些; —

I am quite desperate, for I take it so much to heart!”
我感到绝望,因为我对此太看重了!”

“But I don’t!” said the shadow. “I become fat, and it is that one wants to become!
“可我并不看重!”影子说。“我变得肥胖,而那才是人们想要的! —

You do not understand the world.
你不明白这个世界。 —

You will become ill by it.
这会让你生病的。 —

You must travel! I shall make a tour this summer;
你必须去旅行!今年夏天我将进行一次旅行, —

will you go with me? I should like to have a travelling companion!
你和我一起去吗?我想找一个旅行伴侣! —

Will you go with me, as shadow?
你愿意作为我的影子和我一起去吗? —

It will be a great pleasure for me to have you with me;
有你陪伴我将是一大乐事; —

I shall pay the travelling expenses!”
旅行费用我来付!”

“Nay, this is too much!” said the learned man.
“不,这太过分了!”博学的人说。

“It is just as one takes it!” said the shadow.
“看待问题就是这样!”影子说。 —

“It will do you much good to travel!
“旅行对你会有很大好处! —

Will you be my shadow? You shall have everything free on the journey!”
你愿意做我的影子吗?旅行期间所有费用我来承担!”

“Nay, that is too bad!” said the learned man.
“不,太糟糕了!”博学的人说。

“But it is just so with the world!” said the shadow, “and so it will be!” and away it went again.
“但世界就是这样!”影子说,“以后也将如此!”然后它又消失了。

The learned man was not at all in the most enviable state;
这位博学的人并不是处在最羡慕的状态下; —

grief and torment followed him, and what he said about the true, and the good, and the beautiful, was, to most persons, like roses for a cow! He was quite ill at last.
悲伤和折磨一直跟随着他,而他所谈论的真、善、美对大多数人来说就像对牛弹琴一样!最后他生病了。

“You really look like a shadow!
“你看起来确实像一个影子! —

” said his friends to him;
”他的朋友对他说道; —

and the learned man trembled, for he thought of it.
博学的人颤抖了一下,因为他想到了这一点。

“You must go to a watering-place!” said the shadow, who came and visited him.
“你必须去一个疗养地!”来看望他的影子说。 —

“There is nothing else for it!
“别无选择! —

I will take you with me for old acquaintance’ sake;
出于老朋友的情谊,我将带你一起去; —

I will pay the travelling expenses, and you write the descriptions–and if they are a little amusing for me on the way!
我会支付旅费,你写描述——如果对我来说有点有趣的话! —

I will go to a watering-place–my beard does not grow out as it ought–that is also a sickness–and one must have a beard!
我要去一个疗养地——我的胡须长得不够好——那也是一种疾病——而且必须要有胡须! —

Now you be wise and accept the offer;
现在你要聪明点,接受这个提议; —

we shall travel as comrades!”
我们将作为同伴一起旅行!”

And so they travelled; the shadow was master, and the master was the shadow;
于是他们旅行了,影子是主人,主人是影子; —

they drove with each other, they rode and walked together, side by side, before and behind, just as the sun was;
他们一起驾驶、骑行和步行,肩并肩,前后一起,就像太阳一样; —

the shadow always took care to keep itself in the master’s place.
影子总是小心保持自己在主人的位置。 —

Now the learned man didn’t think much about that;
学者对此并没有多想; —

he was a very kind-hearted man, and particularly mild and friendly, and so he said one day to the shadow:
他是一个非常善良的人,特别温和友善,所以他有一天对影子说: —

“As we have now become companions, and in this way have grown up together from childhood, shall we not drink ‘thou’ together, it is more familiar?”
“既然我们已经成为伴侣,从儿时开始一同成长,我们是否应该亲切地互称‘你’呢?这样更为亲近。”

“You are right,” said the shadow, who was now the proper master.
“你说得对,”现在是合适的主人的影子说。 —

“It is said in a very straight-forward and well-meant manner.
“这是非常直接和善意的说法。 —

You, as a learned man, certainly know how strange nature is.
你作为一位博学的人,肯定知道自然是多么奇妙。 —

Some persons cannot bear to touch grey paper, or they become ill;
有些人不能接触灰色纸张,否则他们会生病; —

others shiver in every limb if one rub a pane of glass with a nail:
其他人如果用钉子在玻璃上擦一下,会全身颤抖: —

I have just such a feeling on hearing you say thou to me;
听到你对我说‘你’,我有一种同样的感觉。” —

I feel myself as if pressed to the earth in my first situation with you.
在我与您的第一次相遇中,我感觉自己仿佛被压迫在地。 —

You see that it is a feeling;
您可以看出这是一种感觉, —

that it is not pride:
不是傲慢。 —

I cannot allow you to say THOU to me, but I will willingly say THOU to you, so it is half done!”
我不能允许您对我说“你”,但是我愿意对您说“你”。这样一半的问题就解决了!

So the shadow said THOU to its former master.
于是那个影子向它曾经的主人说了“你”。

“This is rather too bad,” thought he, “that I must say YOU and he say THOU, ” but he was now obliged to put up with it.
“这太糟糕了”,他想道,“我必须说‘你’,而他却可以说‘你’”,但他现在不得不忍受了。

So they came to a watering-place where there were many strangers, and amongst them was a princess, who was troubled with seeing too well;
他们来到了一个有很多陌生人的水源地,其中有一位公主,她的视力过于敏锐, —

and that was so alarming!
这令人担忧!

She directly observed that the stranger who had just come was quite a different sort of person to all the others;
她立刻注意到刚刚来的陌生人与其他人完全不同; —

“He has come here in order to get his beard to grow, they say, but I see the real cause, he cannot cast a shadow.”
“据说他来这里是为了让他的胡子长出来,但是我看到真正的原因是他没有影子。”

She had become inquisitive;
她变得好奇了, —

and so she entered into conversation directly with the strange gentleman, on their promenades.
于是她开始直接和那位陌生绅士在他们散步时交谈。 —

As the daughter of a king, she needed not to stand upon trifles, so she said, “Your complaint is, that you cannot cast a shadow?”
作为国王的女儿,她无需纠缠于琐事,所以她说:“你的抱怨是你不能投下阴影吗?”

“Your Royal Highness must be improving considerably, ” said the shadow, “I know your complaint is, that you see too clearly, but it has decreased, you are cured.
“殿下的病情肯定有所好转了,”影子说道,“我知道你的抱怨是你看得太清楚,但它已经减轻了,你已经痊愈了。” —

I just happen to have a very unusual shadow!
我刚好有一个非常特别的影子! —

Do you not see that person who always goes with me?
你不看到一直跟着我的那个人吗? —

Other persons have a common shadow, but I do not like what is common to all.
其他人都有一个普通的影子,但我不喜欢与众不同的东西。 —

We give our servants finer cloth for their livery than we ourselves use, and so I had my shadow trimmed up into a man:
我们给仆人们更好的衣料作为制服,比我们自己用的还要好。所以我把我的影子打造成了一个人。 —

yes, you see I have even given him a shadow.
是的,你看,我甚至给他一个影子。 —

It is somewhat expensive, but I like to have something for myself!”
这有点贵,但我喜欢有点属于自己的东西!

“What!” thought the princess.
“什么!”公主想道。 —

“Should I really be cured!
“我真的痊愈了! —

These baths are the first in the world!
这些温泉是世界上最好的!在我们这个时代, —

In our time water has wonderful powers.
水有奇妙的功效。 —

But I shall not leave the place, for it now begins to be amusing here.
但我不会离开这个地方,因为这里现在开始变得有趣了。 —

I am extremely fond of that stranger:
我非常喜欢那个陌生人。” —

would that his beard should not grow, for in that case he will leave us!”
要是他的胡子不长,否则他会离开我们!

In the evening, the princess and the shadow danced together in the large ball-room.
在晚上,公主和影子一起在大舞厅里跳舞。她很轻盈, —

She was light, but he was still lighter;
但他更加轻盈; —

she had never had such a partner in the dance.
她从未在舞蹈中有过这样的搭档。 —

She told him from what land she came, and he knew that land;
她告诉他她来自哪个国家,他知道那个国家; —

he had been there, but then she was not at home;
他曾经去过那里,但她当时不在家; —

he had peeped in at the window, above and below–he had seen both the one and the other, and so he could answer the princess, and make insinuations, so that she was quite astonished;
他从窗户里窥视,从上到下都看到了,所以他能回答公主,并暗示着一些事情,以至于她感到非常惊讶; —

he must be the wisest man in the whole world!
他一定是世界上最聪明的人! —

She felt such respect for what he knew!
她对他的知识非常尊重! —

So that when they again danced together she fell in love with him;
于是当他们再次一起跳舞时,她爱上了他; —

and that the shadow could remark, for she almost pierced him through with her eyes.
影子能够察觉到,因为她的眼神几乎把他穿透了。 —

So they danced once more together;
所以他们再次一起跳舞; —

and she was about to declare herself, but she was discreet;
她正要表白,但她很谨慎; —

she thought of her country and kingdom, and of the many persons she would have to reign over.
她想到了自己的国家和王国,以及她将要统治的众多人民。

“He is a wise man,” said she to herself–“It is well;
“他是一个聪明人,”她对自己说,“好极了; —

and he dances delightfully–that is also good;
而且他跳舞也很美妙,那也是好的; —

but has he solid knowledge?
但他是否有扎实的知识呢? —

That is just as important!
那同样重要! —

He must be examined.”
他必须经过考验。”

So she began, by degrees, to question him about the most difficult things she could think of, and which she herself could not have answered;
于是她逐渐开始质问他一些她能想到的最困难的问题,而她自己也无法回答这些问题; —

so that the shadow made a strange face.
于是,影子露出了奇怪的表情。

“You cannot answer these questions?” said the princess.
“你无法回答这些问题吗?”公主说。

“They belong to my childhood’s learning, ” said the shadow. “I really believe my shadow, by the door there, can answer them!”
“这些问题是我小时候所学的知识,”影子说。“我真的相信我的影子,就在那边的门边,可以回答它们!”

“Your shadow!” said the princess.
“你的影子!”公主说, —

“That would indeed be marvellous!”
“那真是奇妙!”

“I will not say for a certainty that he can, ” said the shadow, “but I think so;
“我不能确定他是否能够,”影子说,“但我认为可能;他已经跟随我很多年了,听过我的对话,我认为有可能。” —

he has now followed me for so many years, and listened to my conversation–I should think it possible.
“他或许会,亦或许不会,”最后她说。“让你的影子来回答这些问题吧,如果他能做到,那将是非常奇妙的。” —

But your royal highness will permit me to observe, that he is so proud of passing himself off for a man, that when he is to be in a proper humor–and he must be so to answer well–he must be treated quite like a man.”
但是殿下允许我观察,他如此自豪地将自己冒充男人,以至于在他心情好的时候——他必须心情好才能回答得好——他必须被当作男人对待。

“Oh! I like that!” said the princess.
“哦!我喜欢这个!” 公主说道。

So she went to the learned man by the door, and she spoke to him about the sun and the moon, and about persons out of and in the world, and he answered with wisdom and prudence.
于是她去找门口那个博学者,和他谈论太阳和月亮,以及世界内外的人,他以智慧和谨慎来回答。

“What a man that must be who has so wise a shadow!
“那个有如此聪明影子的人一定是个了不起的人! —

” thought she.
” 她想道。 —

“It will be a real blessing to my people and kingdom if I choose him for my consort–I will do it!”
“如果我选择他作为我的配偶,对我的国家和王国来说将是一种真正的祝福——我会这样做!”

They were soon agreed, both the princess and the shadow;
他们很快就达成了一致,公主和影子; —

but no one was to know about it before she arrived in her own kingdom.
但在她回到自己的王国之前,没有人能知道这件事。

“No one–not even my shadow!” said the shadow, and he had his own thoughts about it!
“没有人——即使是我的影子!” 影子说道,他对此有自己的想法!

Now they were in the country where the princess reigned when she was at home.
现在他们到了公主统治故乡的国家。

“Listen, my good friend, ” said the shadow to the learned man.
“听着,我的好朋友。”影子对博学的人说道。 —

“I have now become as happy and mighty as anyone can be;
“我现在已经变得像任何人一样幸福和强大; —

I will, therefore, do something particular for thee!
因此,我将为你做一些特别的事情! —

Thou shalt always live with me in the palace, drive with me in my royal carriage, and have ten thousand pounds a year;
你将永远和我一起住在宫殿里,和我一起乘坐我的王车,每年有一万英镑; —

but then thou must submit to be called SHADOW by all and everyone;
但是你必须接受被所有人称为‘影子’; —

thou must not say that thou hast ever been a man;
你不能说你曾经是一个人; —

and once a year, when I sit on the balcony in the sunshine, thou must lie at my feet, as a shadow shall do! I must tell thee:
每年一次,当我坐在阳台上晒太阳时,你必须躺在我的脚下,像一个影子一样!我必须告诉你: —

I am going to marry the king’s daughter, and the nuptials are to take place this evening!”
我打算娶国王的女儿,婚礼定于今晚举行!”

“Nay, this is going too far!” said the learned man.
“不,这太过分了!”博学的人说。 —

“I will not have it; I will not do it!
“我不会去做的! —

It is to deceive the whole country and the princess too!
这是在欺骗整个国家和公主! —

I will tell everything!
我会把一切都告诉她! —

That I am a man, and that thou art a shadow–thou art only dressed up!”
我是一个人,而你只是假装的影子!”

“There is no one who will believe it!” said the shadow.
“没有人会相信的!”影子说。“理智点, —

“Be reasonable, or I will call the guard!”
否则我就叫卫兵了!”

“I will go directly to the princess!
“我会直接去找公主! —

” said the learned man.
”学者说。

“But I will go first!” said the shadow.
“但我要先去!”影子说。 —

“And thou wilt go to prison!
“而你会去监狱!” —

” and that he was obliged to do–for the sentinels obeyed him whom they knew the king’s daughter was to marry.
并且他确实被迫去做这件事 - 因为守卫们服从那位他们知道公主要嫁给的人。

“You tremble!” said the princess, as the shadow came into her chamber.
“你在颤抖!”影子进入公主的房间时说。 —

“Has anything happened?
“发生了什么事吗?” —

You must not be unwell this evening, now that we are to have our nuptials celebrated.”
我们要庆祝婚礼的今晚你不能病倒。

“I have lived to see the most cruel thing that anyone can live to see!
“我活到了任何人都不愿见到的最残酷的事情! —

” said the shadow.
”影子说。 —

“Only imagine–yes, it is true, such a poor shadow-skull cannot bear much–only think, my shadow has become mad;
“想象一下 - 是的,这是真的,一个可怜的光影头骨承受不了太多 - 想想吧,我的影子疯了; —

he thinks that he is a man, and that I–now only think–that I am his shadow!”
他认为他是一个人,而我 - 现在想一想 - 我是他的影子!”

“It is terrible!” said the princess;
“太可怕了!”公主说。 —

“but he is confined, is he not?”
“但他被关起来了,对吗?”

“That he is. I am afraid that he will never recover.”
“是的。我担心他永远无法恢复。”

“Poor shadow!” said the princess.
“可怜的影子!”公主说。 —

“He is very unfortunate;
“他真是很不幸; —

it would be a real work of charity to deliver him from the little life he has, and, when I think properly over the matter, I am of opinion that it will be necessary to do away with him in all stillness!”
把他从他现有的小生活中解脱出来,这将是一项真正的慈善工作,当我仔细考虑这件事时,我认为有必要以一种悄无声息的方式解决他!”

“It is certainly hard,” said the shadow, “for he was a faithful servant!
“对他来说确实很残酷,”影子说,“因为他是一个忠诚的仆人! —

” and then he gave a sort of sigh.
”然后他发出了一种叹息。

“You are a noble character!” said the princess.
“你是一位高贵的角色!”公主说道。

The whole city was illuminated in the evening, and the cannons went off with a bum! bum!
整个城市在晚上灯火辉煌,炮声隆隆, —

and the soldiers presented arms.
士兵们列队敬礼。 —

That was a marriage! The princess and the shadow went out on the balcony to show themselves, and get another hurrah!
那是一场婚礼!公主和影子走到阳台上展示自己,引来另一轮喝彩!

The learned man heard nothing of all this–for they had deprived him of life.
这位博学者一切都没有听到——因为他已经被剥夺了生命。